(HOW-TO) UPDATED 6-21-2012 Unlock GSM for domestic carriers on Photon

Please let us know how you got CDMA back after using this radio.

• SBF through RSD after fastboot wipe fixed CDMA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Jo_795

Jan 8, 2011
what data speeds do you get with T-Mobile ?

is it actually 3G or does it go back to Edge, or 2G...

can someone explain how do i flash this instructions?

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
But as far as I remember, you are stuck unlocked. So flashing radio with sbf always fails. You have to use that rsd lite hack.

Dsparil

Mar 27, 2011
I have a TMobile Sim card to test. I just need the zip to flash back to the stock radio, and I'll be a happy MoPho.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

rghart09

Nov 25, 2008
T-mobile works in Cincy

I flashed the kddi update and briefly tested it.

I made a call and used the 2g.

Flashing back was more than just a sbf flash though. I ended up wiping the system, preinstall and boot partitions before flashing to get it to return to stock. I will be trying it on a regional gsm carrier as soon as I borrow a sim.

UPDATE:

I Flashed the KDDI radio again and tried it with Cincinnati Bell and after adding the apn I could not connect to 3g. Call, Text and 2G worked.

Last edited:

rexxxgg

Feb 26, 2012
we dont have tmobile where i live. we have i wireless an affiliate of tmobile. i just want to make sure it will work with any sim and not just att and tmobile. also i just flash the radio in cwm right?

edit: must have missed the part where it says to flash in cwm when i was reading. just got super excited and missed it.

Last edited:

halfevildruid

Feb 1, 2010
reactor core, usa
Sbf didn't error thru process andgo thru fine...i get "fail to boot 1" but I get pass that. But ill try the hack

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Well I just rsd the 198_7 stock sbf and everything cruised flawless and it jumped right on sprint towers... not sure what you are doing wrong.

Boot the phone into rsd mode, run rsd lite, choose proper sbf and flash.

I did have to manually reboot the phone once when told and at final boot during flash the phone gave me a message the modem did not power up, but then battery pulled and booted and sprint came up along with hands free activation.

halfevildruid

Feb 1, 2010
reactor core, usa
Well I just rsd the 198_7 stock sbf and everything cruised flawless and it jumped right on sprint towers... not sure what you are doing wrong.

I did have to manually reboot the phone once when told and at final boot during flash the phone gave me a message the modem did not power up, but then battery pulled and booted and sprint came up along with hands free activation.

Also, Last time I got failed to boot was because of drivers from radiocomm messing around with things. You might want to reinstall your drivers and see if that helps.

Now its time to pull this stock radio out and see about making it flashable... :)

Reactions: bricky23

Lightsword1942

Apr 25, 2010

Valentinoh is unable to relock because of bad ReservedOdm values. This messes with RSD Lite as well.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Leave for a little bit and miss all the fun. Couple of questions. Where did you find the files? I searched off and on for almost a month and never did find them. If you give me a verified list of what files need to be changed I'll see about putting together a flashable for both GSM and 198_6 Sprint. bp.img and libmoto_ril.so are needed are far as what's been mentioned in the thread, anything else?

I also have an H2O wireless SIM that uses AT&T AND T-Mobile and will test calls and texts. I don't have data setup on it as it was a test SIM that I picked up when I started my search.

Lightsword1942

Apr 25, 2010
Leave for a little bit and miss all the fun. Couple of questions. Where did you find the files? I searched off and on for almost a month and never did find them. If you give me a verified list of what files need to be changed I'll see about putting together a flashable for both GSM and 198_6 Sprint. bp.img and libmoto_ril.so are needed are far as what's been mentioned in the thread, anything else?

I also have an H2O wireless SIM that uses AT&T AND T-Mobile and will test calls and texts. I don't have data setup on it as it was a test SIM that I picked up when I started my search.

They are pulled from a japanese update.zip OTA file. I don't think the japanese libmoto_ril.so is really needed. I am also interested if this will work for bootstrap users stuck on 2.3.5 if there is anyone who wants to test. I also mad a post with the bp.img swapped for the leaked 2.3.5 one from sprint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :rolleyes::mad:DISCLAIMER::mad: I am not forcing you to visit this thread and start messing with your phone to make it do things Sprint and Motorola did not intend for it to do. If you have issues and your wife gets pissed :mad: because you borked her phone and haven't slept for 2 days trying to prove to her you can fix it:cool:, it's not anyone's fault but your own. :rolleyes:

Credit for this discovery is not mine alone. It has been tossed around for quite some time that a version of the Japanese radio may hold the key to unlocking USA capability. XDA members Noncs and Lightsword1942 should be recognized for finding the proper Japanese radio. Please be sure to express your gratitude and encourage more work on this unlock by thanking folks involved and when possible donating. This keeps the cup filled and keeps the work going.

So you want to unlock your Photon to use on AT&T, T-Mobile or some other USA GSM/UMTS carrier. Well this is how to do it. The poll I have here is important. PLEASE DONT TAKE IT UNTIL IF AND WHEN YOU TRY TO GO BACK TO STOCK SPRINT OR RETURN TO SOME OTHER CDMA CARRIER! Most of the answers to "CDMA is still not fixed" have been folks that appear to be not very active in the community, or have found this googling how to unlock GSM for the photon. I have decided that it comes down to NOT following the instructions correctly/not understanding what currently is needed to get flash the GSM radio AND/OR get back to CDMA.

Things that need to know how to do before flashing KDDI or any other radio.​

1-RSD an .sbf to stock base.
    2-Unlock your bootloader.
    3-Root your phone.
    4-Install a recent custom recovery.
    5-Perform a nandroid backup.
    6-Restore a nandroid backup.
    7-Flash a .zip from a custom recovery.
    8-Create, edit or flash APN's. (for data)
    9-Boot into recovery, fastboot, etc.
    8-Accept responsibility if you screw up.

If you don't know what any of this is or means, than leave this thread and don't come back until you do and are comfortable with them. A good place to start is LokifishMar's All Things MoPho! Thank him and fill his cup! Please leave questions about these things at the proper threads.

Things YOU need to know:

1- The radio file for unlocking GSM/UMTS will be referenced KDDI for purposes of this thread. KDDI=GSM RADIO
    2- Flashing KDDI will enable USA GSM/UMTS and allow USA carrier sims to work on your Photon.
    3-Currently the KDDI results in error when flashing to Electrify. Sorry USCC guys, hopefully it gets worked out soon.
    4-Flashing KDDI will break Sprint service while you are using it. This is not permanent and CAN be regained.
    5-The GSM/UMTS functionality needs rom support! The rom devs are working hard to integrate into ICS based roms. Stock sprint works on GSM, although occasionally GSM would break after some time during testing. Currently the best functional rom for GSM is peetr's custom 2.3.5 hybrid and is currently the recommended ROM. Please don't gum this thread up with data and other issues after using the KDDI. It works and any issues with service are NOT here. Go to the ROM thread you are using.

...on to the good stuff!

Enable USA GSM/UMTS and retain the easiest way to get back to Sprint stock!
    1-SBF to stock base. Root your phone, unlock bootloader, install custom recovery and perform a nandroid backup of your stock rom!
    2-Flash KDDI radio from recovery.
    3-Flash your ROM. You may need to enable GSM/UMTS in your mobile network settings. You also may need to enable data roaming and set your APN's.
    4-Profit! If all you wanted was the unlock then your done! otherwise...

Get Sprint stock back:
    5-Restore your nandroid backup you created previously.
    6-RSD the stock sbf.
    7-Reboot and reactive Sprint (Hand's Free)

You can also if you choose flash a stock sprint radio and manually program to Sprint or another CDMA carrier instead of flashing back to stock.
    Follow the instruction here after flashing a Sprint stock radio. Substitute the data flashed for Cricket with the data from needed from Sprint or your CDMA carrier. http://www.cricketusers.com/sprint-...photon-4g-cricket-talk-text-internet-mms.html

WARNING: This is not the easy way, the first method is recommended. You can easily bork your phone messing around with the software at the above link.

Download KDDI
    Just a minor correction but Non¢s found the radio and made the zip, I guess I'm the one who came up with using the Japanese radio and what update-script to use. Was too scared to try it myself though lol.
    Hi Everyone! Long time no see!

Sooooooo...... I been gone awhile..... poke in every once in awhile but very busy with the repair and flash shop..... sorry to the folks I never got the drivers to,,.....

You know who you are.... I didn't forget.... sort of.... anyway I will sometime....

So.

I can now fully flash the photon (KDDI) with the unlocked GSM. This would mean all services on both sides... :)

I am mostly sure. I also think I may have found the source of the "magical photon" with dual, anyway....

I still need a dang photon. I am trying to get the guy to that got mine to come swap me for a couple of days for an atrix, inspire, s2... yada yada.

Hoping to get him up here this week or have one walk in the store...

I'm not reading back through the threads.... did I miss anything?
    Update:

Functional CDMA and GSM from within the rom on this radio is a success!

We have activated pageplus cdma service alongside AT&T gsm, switchable from within android settings.

New write up will be posted as soon as possible.
    Full write up coming in the next day or two with how to have a fully functional cdma and gsm switchable radio from within the rom.