Dell venue pro not turning on?

Search This thread

simbadogg

Aug 6, 2007
Corona
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem, or if possibly my girlfriend has a defective unit. Like i said, my gf has a dvp but when it dies and i connect it to a charger (1 amp) it'll sit for 10-15 minutes and still wont turn on. I was able today to take the battery out, let it sit for a minute, then put it back in and turn it on, and it did just that. And then it showed that the phone was charging. then after a few minutes it turned off.

Anyone else have this problem? Because i know as is, the phone is supposed to turn on automatically because the phone has to be on to charge (a wp7 "feature")

anyone think i have a defective unit? By the way...today when it happened it was the 2nd time its happened to her so far.

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem, or if possibly my girlfriend has a defective unit. Like i said, my gf has a dvp but when it dies and i connect it to a charger (1 amp) it'll sit for 10-15 minutes and still wont turn on. I was able today to take the battery out, let it sit for a minute, then put it back in and turn it on, and it did just that. And then it showed that the phone was charging. then after a few minutes it turned off.

Anyone else have this problem? Because i know as is, the phone is supposed to turn on automatically because the phone has to be on to charge (a wp7 "feature")

anyone think i have a defective unit? By the way...today when it happened it was the 2nd time its happened to her so far.

It's happened a couple times on mine since I got it in late December.

pritter

Jan 8, 2009
I am currently having this same problem. This is distinctly different from the other crashes (Marketplace/wifi kindof thing), which is often resolved by quickly removing and replacing the battery, which many are waiting for the April 18 Dell firmware fix to resolve. (Better to hold the power button down for 5 secs than constantly remove the back and battery.)
This is different. The phone is quite dead. The power button is completely unresponsive. The battery must be left out for at least a minute. The phone doesn't even charge when in this state, as I left it on the charger overnight. It does recur as well, but I haven't had time to fully investigate. I have had the nodo update for a week prior to this occuring, so that may not be related.

missionsparta

Mar 26, 2011
Having the same problem, and as the guy above stated, THIS IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE NORMAL CRASHES. This has started for me since the NoDo update. Pulling the battery does nothing. I just have to leave it sit and come back. Sometimes it restarts on it's own after 5 minutes and sometimes 2 hours. Either way, I am sick of this lemon.

dmar92

Aug 11, 2010
Same here

Hey i am having the same problem also. I thought it was just because my phone completely died. It turned on eventually and then i had it charging overnight and now its doing the same thing. Seriously thinking about going back to android. So many problems.

demondo

Dec 16, 2011
I'm having a very similar problem to the one described above. Earlier this evening I unboxed a completely new Dell Venue Pro. It was carrier locked to T-Mobile, but I have subsequently unlocked it with the code provided to me from Dell directly. My plan is to use the phone on the Rogers network in Canada, and right now there is no SIM card in it.

Anyway, the phone refuses to charge properly. When it has the battery in it, and I try plugging it into the wall, the phone shows a full screen icon of a battery with a AC plug on it (I assume this means the phone is fully charged.) However the moment I unplug it the screen goes dark and there is no way of turning it back on. I've tried holding the power button, I've tried pulling the battery, putting it back in, and then holding the power button. Nothing seems to work.

If I plug in the phone into the wall with no battery in it. I can get into the OS. If I then put the battery back into the phone while it is still charging, it'll show that the battery has no charge. After a few minutes (in the ball park of 5-10) it'll again show the full screen icon of a battery with a AC plug on it.

I've compared this to my friend's Samsung Focus which was plugged in when it has no charge. The Samsung focus will show a full screen critically low battery icon when first plugged in, then as it charges we'll get a full screen low battery icon, and then the Windows Phone 7 OS itself will load. (It is still not fully charged, so I do not know if we ultimately get the full screen icon of the battery with plug.)

Both phones (Samsung Focus and Dell Venue Pro) have been charging for over 2 hours now. The Samsung Focus is in the WP7 OS and shows an increasingly charged battery. The Dell Venue Pro still has that full screen battery+plug icon.

The only way I can access the WP7 OS on the Dell Venue Pro is to take out the battery and plug it directly into a wall, or directly into the computer. I have succeeding at carrier unlocking it and upgrading the OS all the way to Mango using this approach. However the phone just refuses to run on battery power.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Do you think it is the phone, or the battery itself? Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm a n00b, and the video said to find a thread related to my problem, and post there. :)

Edit: So the Samsung Focus finished charging. It lets me interact with the WP7 OS, and does not have the full screen battery with AC plug icon. Although it does have a much smaller version of the icon on the top of the screen where the remaining battery icon is.

Last edited:

magicsquid

Jun 17, 2011
London
If I plug in the phone into the wall with no battery in it. I can get into the OS. If I then put the battery back into the phone while it is still charging, it'll show that the battery has no charge. After a few minutes (in the ball park of 5-10) it'll again show the full screen icon of a battery with a AC plug on it.

Sounds like something my phone did a few months ago. I was able to resolve the issue by following the steps in the post below.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11699369&postcount=10

The issue hasn't happened since. Not sure if it's the same issue but give it a try and see if it helps :)

Reactions: demondo

demondo

Dec 16, 2011
THANKS, it worked!

I know I tried those steps (from the same post) before upgrading to Mango and it didn't seem to work. After upgrading to Mango, it did work. The only variation I made to the steps was that when you try to shut down the phone (while holding the power button) I also swiped downward, as that is now needed with Mango.

Mauriciovsky

Nov 18, 2011
THANKS, it worked!

I know I tried those steps (from the same post) before upgrading to Mango and it didn't seem to work. After upgrading to Mango, it did work. The only variation I made to the steps was that when you try to shut down the phone (while holding the power button) I also swiped downward, as that is now needed with Mango.

Hi demondo, im having the same exact problem as you and im also with mango, can you please explain a little better what you did ? Until now nothing had sucess for me :(

Thanks

demondo

Dec 16, 2011
Hi Mauriciovsky,

I do not know what the minimum number of steps is to get rid of the problem. Here's what I did, but probably some of it isn't needed:

• Charge the phone (with battery in it) using the AC adapter for a few hours with the bettery + plug icon. (I charged it until a Samsung Focus was fully charged.)
  • Unplug the charger.
  • Take out the battery.
  • Plug in phone to computer over USB.
  • Update the phone all the way to Mango. (You know you're in Mango when holding the back button brings you to the tile view of your running applications.)
  • With phone still plugged in to USB, plug in the battery.
  • (MAYBE) unplug the phone from USB. I can't recall if I did this step or now, I don't think so, but maybe.
  • Either way, turn off the phone. This is done by holding the power button for two seconds and then swiping downward when instructed to do so.
  • Unplug the phone if you haven't done so earlier.
  • Hold the power button for two seconds, then let go. The Dell logo should appear, and the phone should boot.

Sorry I can't give you a more concise explanation. However, the phone has been working great in the few hours since the problem went away. Hopefully it'll work for you too.

Mauriciovsky

Nov 18, 2011
Hi Mauriciovsky,

I do not know what the minimum number of steps is to get rid of the problem. Here's what I did, but probably some of it isn't needed:

• Charge the phone (with battery in it) using the AC adapter for a few hours with the bettery + plug icon. (I charged it until a Samsung Focus was fully charged.)
  • Unplug the charger.
  • Take out the battery.
  • Plug in phone to computer over USB.
  • Update the phone all the way to Mango. (You know you're in Mango when holding the back button brings you to the tile view of your running applications.)
  • With phone still plugged in to USB, plug in the battery.
  • (MAYBE) unplug the phone from USB. I can't recall if I did this step or now, I don't think so, but maybe.
  • Either way, turn off the phone. This is done by holding the power button for two seconds and then swiping downward when instructed to do so.
  • Unplug the phone if you haven't done so earlier.
  • Hold the power button for two seconds, then let go. The Dell logo should appear, and the phone should boot.

Sorry I can't give you a more concise explanation. However, the phone has been working great in the few hours since the problem went away. Hopefully it'll work for you too.

Thanks a lot for the help demondo and the other guys

Last edited:

KimWinter

Jan 2, 2012
I had the same problem: my DVP's, running WP7.5 "Mango", battery got drained and when I tried to turn it back on it would not boot, not even when I hooked it to a power outlet. I finally got it running again, here's what I did:

1. Take out the battery.
2. Turn it on (you should see the Dell logo by now).
3. Put the battery back. (It will alert you that the battery is critically low).
4. Charge it.

*Hope this helps*

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sounds like something my phone did a few months ago. I was able to resolve the issue by following the steps in the post below.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11699369&postcount=10

The issue hasn't happened since. Not sure if it's the same issue but give it a try and see if it helps :)