[GUIDE] NTFS READ/WRITE for SDCARD and USB OTG ! UPDATED 21-JAN-2012 !!!

Search This thread

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
jakiman,

Nice to hear that our work/test helped you.

For your questions:
1 - I'm trying to do the same. I have tested various commands but no one succedeed yet. I'm still looking.

2 - I am not using normal media manager but QuickPic (which is free, light and highly customizable) and I haven't tested it with my test card yet. As soon as I receive it, I will do further testing.

3 - I'll give you the speed of 64 sdxc card as soon as I receive it :)

The_Steph

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
2 - I am not using normal media manager but QuickPic (which is free, light and highly customizable) and I haven't tested it with my test card yet. As soon as I receive it, I will do further testing.

The_Steph

Dear The_Steph,

Unfortunately, none of the photo viewers can read from ntfs sdcard... ( Stock gallery, Quickpic, FishBowl etc...) Lets us inform if u can find a working one...

Kind Regards,

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

After a long and hard reseatch, I found that Widgetsoid (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2&feature=related_apps) can unmount/mount SD Card the same way settings > storage > mount SD card does. So there must be a way to do it with a script. Meanwhile, I have a switch widget on my home that can mount/unmount my SD card :)

I have also installed Perfect viwer to do some test when I receive my card.

More info to come

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
PROTOCHIP,

After a long and hard reseatch, I found that Widgetsoid (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jim2&feature=related_apps) can unmount/mount SD Card the same way settings > storage > mount SD card does. So there must be a way to do it with a script. Meanwhile, I have a switch widget on my home that can mount/unmount my SD card :)

I have also installed Perfect viwer to do some test when I receive my card.

More info to come

Dear The_Steph,

Same here, working hard for a script but no success for mounting automatically yet...

Kind Regards,

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

Two points:
- Widgetsoid unmounts ALL storage (both internal and external)
- It seems that script is not achievable but maybe a program anyway because system command does not send, contrary to the OS, ACTION_MEDIA_MOUNTED (more info http://groups.google.com/group/andr...read/thread/ae7a167e8bf3b370/0a73f584772a240c).

If a programmer was able to do it for Widgetsoid, someone else can, for sure! Maybe with a little help of our kernel makers?

Reactions: PROTOCHIP

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

I just sent an email to Widgetsoid developer to see if he could help.

Let's wait for his answer :)

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

No news from Widgetsoid developer yet however, I wanted to let you know that 2 days earlier than expected, I received my 64GB SDXC card.

First thing, impossible to have it seen as a 64GB card with any of the USB-SDHC readers I have. so I plugged it in my Note, restarted it, formatted it with Android SD Card format function and voilà, 59.48 GB of available memory :)

It was then nightly NTFS test time, I plugged my SGN on my Win7 x64, mounted SDCard and NTFS formatted it. Once finished, I successfully copied files above 4GB on it. I stopped at that point, as it was a quarter to two in the morning.

This morning, new set of tests, video reading and audio listening in my morning commuting (as usual) and picture viewing using QuickPic as it is surprisingly working!!

Unfortunately, it seems that my automated scripts that were working with my 16GB micro SDHC card are not perfectly working when launched at boot start with the micro SDXC card, I need to launch them manually (maybe a file rights problem). I have to check that point.

My main issues are now:
- Automating the Android mount process
- Executing unmount process when I turn off my SGN (could maybe done using the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20719612)
- Finding USB micro SDXC reader to move files much more easily than I am currently doing (7MB/sec transfert throughput is not enough compared to what this card can probably do).

I'll keep you posted.
The_Steph

Last edited:

phildefer85

Dec 17, 2009
The_Steph,

I'm very interesting by your post. I'm also looking for mount/unmount a sdcard in NTFS automatically. If it's possible, reading MKV above 4GB will be a pleasure!

Thank you for yours news.

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
Phildefer,

Simply follow PROTOCHIP first post and it will work but not fully automatic yet (but maybe you can help on that point). But before eveything you need a compatible kernel such as AbyssNote.

Amuse-toi bien ;o)

Last edited:

phildefer85

Dec 17, 2009
The_steph,

Thanks. Please, have you a link for this kernel and how do you install it? I have the GNote with Orange rom since 3 days only. So, I'm begining to change this config.

@+
Bonjour de Nantes ! :)

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
Do you have to be rooted to format your SD card to NTFS?

The procedure seems long and complicated, any other quicker/shorter ways around it?

If there is no other simpler or faster method of formatting to NTFS is there at least a decent youtube video with instructions of what and how to do this?

Thanks guys.

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
kanej2006,

There is no way your phone can format a micro SD card to NTFS. You need to use your computer to do it. So no root rights question :)

The aim of this thread is to provide a stable and easy solution for everyone but we need first a hand on programming a small piece of software to automatically do the "mount" part of Android. Once this point is solved, we have all pieces of the puzzle and will will be able to provide a noob-proof solution.

Do you have Android programming skills ?

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
kanej2006,

There is no way your phone can format a micro SD card to NTFS. You need to use your computer to do it. So no root rights question :)

The aim of this thread is to provide a stable and easy solution for everyone but we need first a hand on programming a small piece of software to automatically do the "mount" part of Android. Once this point is solved, we have all pieces of the puzzle and will will be able to provide a noob-proof solution.

Do you have Android programming skills ?

Unfortunately not. When it comes to Android programming I'm a noob. :)

A PC involves one click of a button to format in NTFS or FAT32.

With Android it's a little more complicated as you mentioned!

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Dear The-Steph,

I realized that after executing ntfs-3g , our ntfs formatted card is automatically mounted by the system even it says Blank Sd in notification page... No need to go to settings-storage-mount sd card...

So if the blank sd message in noti. doesnt bother us, then no need to look for how to mount ntfs sd automatically... It is already mounted... :)

I use script manager to load the ntfs-3g script during boot and thats it... After boot i use my ntfs formatted card...

Hope this helps..

Kind Regards,

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
PROTOCHIP,

This is exactly what happens with me too, I can access SDCard via Android and Windows. But I do not like having the SDcard logo with the question mark on it in the notification bar. Maybe I am simply too picky ;)

I did further tests because I had many issues when I use my SDCard with Windows. It seems that there is no unmount need at the SGN shutdown as my main trouble was to avoid issues with Windows, you need to detach the SDCard from Windows before unmounting USB from Android.

Therefore, we only need, from my point of view a proper SDCard mounting to avoid ugly logo in notification bar :)

By the way, QuickPick is now unable to access my pictures in SDCard, this is a shame as I am pretty sure it worked the first times I used it :(

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
I did further tests because I had many issues when I use my SDCard with Windows. It seems that there is no unmount need at the SGN shutdown as my main trouble was to avoid issues with Windows, you need to detach the SDCard from Windows before unmounting USB from Android.

Dear The_Steph,

Thats what i am facing, too; We have to Safely Remove ( eject ) Sdcard from windows before we unmount from GNOTE otherwise, phone may lock or we have to reboot in order to use ntfs...

P.S. Regarding to my tests, for movie files ( mkv,avi,ts etc. ) BsPlayer lite and Dice Player Ads. are the best solutions for full hd with my class 4 32gb sdcard... MxMovie or moboplayer lags while playing full hd mkb movies...

Kind regards,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Friends,

I tried now with a USB stick format ntfs
    1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
    2) Reboot
    3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su
    insmod /lib/modules/fuse.ko
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/usb

And now the usb stick can be read and written

AbyssNote Kernel developer " angelom " pointed us solution for read/write ntfs for formatted usb stick and i apply it for sdcard and both works flawlessly !!!! Thanks angelom...

Some Tests:

** After mounting sdcard as read/write ntfs, camera app also can be able to record photos and videos to ntfs...

** Watching movies over 4 gb size is not a problem anymore. 1080p Mkvs with no lag at all...

** Most of the 3rd Party apps recognize ntfs formatted sdcard like it is fat32...

** Stock Video Player dont see NTFS so i use BSPLAYER LITE ( best for mkv on note ) OR MX VIDEO PLAYER !!! ( U can use ES file explorer to play videos with stock video player )

** Stock app like gallery dont see the files in ntfs sdcard... Quickpic app also doesnt work with ntfs formatted sd card...
    PERFECT VIEWER CAN DISPLAY IMAGES AVAILABLE FROM NTFS SDCARD.... ( THANKS BROTBUEXE)

** You can use free apps like MyMusicOn or MixZing Basic to play music files which are in ntfs formatted sdcard...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after every reboot. Gscript lite app helps here so much with its shortcuts...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after using usb mass storage mode...

** Ntfs formatted sdcard also is recognized by windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode...

** I am getting very low transfer speed for small files in windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode... for big files it is as fast as Fat32...

My config:

MySAM ed.1 Rom
    Abyss V2.5 Kernel
    32 gb class4 SDCard

How to: READ/WRITE NTFS

1- Flash Abyssnote Kernel - Latest Version : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1362424
    2- Format sdcard to ntfs in windows and plug it to phone.
    3- Power on phone and GNote will recognize ntfs formatted sdcard as blank sd.
    4- Download ntfs-3g.zip from attachment...
    4- Extract zip and copy " ntfs-3g " to /system/bin/
    5- Reboot
    6- Install Terminal Emulator from market.
    7- Enter these lines in terminal emulator. ( insmod commands are optional for abyssnote kernel since they are loaded automatically but for other kernels u have to use insmod commands )

a- To mount ntfs formatted sdcard

su
    chmod 755 /system/bin/ntfs-3g
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
    vold

b- To mount ntfs formatted usb hdd or usb stick

su
    vold

or create a newfolder named usb in internal sdcard

su
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb
    vold

5- now goto settings-storage and select mount sdcard ( only for sdcard not usb stick )

6- now your ntfs formatted sdcard or usb memory stick should be recognized by system as read/write

7- After every reboot u have to repeat steps 4 and 5 !!!

8- To unmount usb hdd:

a- Run Terminal Emulator
    b- Enter This line:

su

umount -l -f /mnt/usb

umount -l -f /mnt/sdcard/usb

c- now your usb hdd is unmounted.
    d- You can safely remove it from otg cable.

** You can download "Gscript Lite" from market and create these scripts as shortcuts in your home screen so u dont have to enter line every time after reboot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "Autostart" app or "script manager" app to run script on boot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "elixir 2 widgets" app or " any cut " app to create a shortcut directly on home screen to settings-storage... ( Market - Free )

*** UPDATE 10-JAN-2012

I realized that after executing ntfs-3g , our ntfs formatted card is automatically mounted by the system even it says Blank SD in notification page... No need to go to settings-storage-mount sd card...

So if the blank sd message in noti. doesnt bother us, then no need to look for how to mount ntfs sd automatically... It is already mounted... :)

I use script manager to load the ntfs-3g script during boot and thats it... After boot i use my ntfs formatted card...

*** UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb Storage " in the notification bar.

Simply add " vold " command to end of script

After reboot "blank sd" noti will gone...

vold command remounts all storage.

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps,

THANKS GOES TO angelom, The_Steph, brotbuexe and to all who i forgot to mention....

Kind Regards,

ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE !!!
    Dear Friends,

UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb storage " in the notification bar.

Simply add " vold " command to end of script

After reboot "blank sd" noti will gone...

vold command remounts all storage...

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps.

@The_Steph

Now we have full automated NTFS system... Cheersss !!!

Kind regards...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
    I tried now with a USB stick format ntfs
    1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
    2) Reboot
    3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su

And now the usb stick can be read and written
    Dear surgical,

First of all create a folder named "usb" in mnt/sdcard/ not in mnt/ ( second way in the guide )

You are using AbyssNote Kernel so no need to enter insmod command.

now:

1- plug in the usb otg cable to phone.
    2- plug usb flash to usb otb cable.
    3- wait till media scanner finishes and u see blank usb in the noti. bar.
    4- now enter

ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb

5- now ur usb flash must be recognized.
    6- If it is a usb hdd then it must be externally powered otherwise system cant handle its power.

7- you can also use vold command optionally to get rid of warning in noti. bar.

Hope all these helps.

Kind Regards.
    It works at last!

Many thanks and respect to PROTOCHIP and The_Steph

Everything is clear and it works at last.

Thank You both very much!!!