[APP] Fotolio - A photography/art portfolio gallery [9-22-12 V1.3 UPDATE]

Search This thread

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
If you like this app, please rate it in Android market to show your support!

EDIT 7/12/12 - V1.3 Market Fotolio Android Market
V1.3 - New file manager for selecting Fotolio
V1.3 - Custom logo option
V1.3 - UI Cleanup
V1.3 - Bug Fixes (Galaxy S III crashes)

EDIT 7/12/12 - V1.2.5 Market - Jelly Bean Support Fotolio Android Market
V1.2.5 - Jelly Bean Support
V1.2.5 - New graphics for Fotolio selection with three templates
V1.2.5 - Options to configure thumbnail and border sizes
V1.2.5 - Bug fixes including blank image during multi-touch

EDIT 7/04/12 - V1.2.3 BETA - Multi-touch + Much More Fotolio Android Market
V1.2.3 - Added pinch zoom (long press image to activate)
V1.2.3 - App now rotates from Landscape to Portrait
V1.2.3 - Added preferences menu options for personalizing UI
V1.2.3 - As requested, options to select SlideShow speed
V1.2.3 - Updated UI graphics and several bug fixes

EDIT 6/10/12 - V1.2.2 BETA - Multi-touch + Much More
BETA - Multi-touch support (Enabled by longpressing on big image)
BETA - Added preference menu
BETA - Options to change slideshow intervals
BETA - Added toggle for auto-crop
BETA - Added toggle for auto-rotate
BETA - Option to change UI Colors
BETA - Sort files Ascending or Descending order (Random coming next)

EDIT 3/21/12 - V1.2 Market Update - New ScreenShots Below Fotolio Android Market
V1.2 - Major Release
V1.2 - Added new scrolling view
V1.2 - Added multi-fotolio support
V1.2 - Fixed memory leak to avoid out-of-memory issue
V1.2 - Added prompt to turn descriptions on/off
V1.2 - Minor UI changes across the app

Please test and give me your feedback. Thank you to blazingwolf for testing this version to make sure everyone gets the most out of this new version!

EDIT - REMOVED OLD UPDATES

Youtube Video

Thank you to everyone who has made this app a rewarding experience for me. What started as a personal challenge has now become a very successful Android app with 200+ downloads a day! Please follow this thread and like Fotolio on Facebook to keep up with the latest beta and request features!

I am a photographer and know a little bit of programming from high school days. I love the Xoom tablet and first thing I thought of using it for was for my photography portfolio. I soon realized that the built-in gallery is way overkill for something like a portfolio which gave me an idea to develop a simple app suited to showcase art or photography portfolios.

Before I share the app, let me just say that when I say I know very little about programming, I mean really very little. This app is fully functional on my Xoom but that is the only device I have been able to test it for. Theoretically, it should work with any Honeycomb tablet (maybe even some Gingerbread ones) but everything has been configured for the Xoom. With that said, below is a link
to the latest version of the app.

I strongly recommend that you format the pictures to 1280 x 800 resolution for optimal performance. I am open to suggestions and feedback on what you think of the app and what features you would like to see.

Thanks!

App ScreenShots

FotolioSS2.jpg

FotolioSS1.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS6.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS7.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS8.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS9.jpg

Last edited:

sicilykill

Oct 11, 2009
Nice app.
Do you plan on adding support to choose which folders to view in the app instead of the default "Photography"?

Reactions: Apachi2k

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
Nice app.
Do you plan on adding support to choose which folders to view in the app instead of the default "Photography"?

Yes, I do. Actually, I have some partially implemented code to do just this but it was causing errors so I decided to keep it out of the release for now. Will keep everyone posted on when I have it fixed. Thanks!

Isun

Nov 9, 2008
I've been using QuickPic. I first use the Gallery Frame widget to access a specific folder that will launch QuickPic. I use image widgets to open specific folders and have a custom 'Portfolio' widget that will launch QuickPic and show the full portfolio listing. The huge benefit of your app from what I can tell in the video is that you can scroll thumbnails over the image you are viewing and there is no lengthy set up as I did with mine. I'll download it and give my feedback.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

It looks nice and clean. It is great for single folder portfolios till you make changes to allow multiple folders if you wish. It didn't work at first for me because my images were larger than 1200x800 and you could see the thumbnails but it wouldn't give a full screen view. I usually have them a bit larger because some clients attempt to zoom in on images for detail. Aside from that it's pretty cool. I couldn't figure out how to do the view where the thumbnails are on top of the full screen view. I'm glad that you worked on this. I do get jealous of the portfolio apps on the Ipad at times.

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
It looks nice and clean. It is great for single folder portfolios till you make changes to allow multiple folders if you wish. It didn't work at first for me because my images were larger than 1200x800 and you could see the thumbnails but it wouldn't give a full screen view. I usually have them a bit larger because some clients attempt to zoom in on images for detail. Aside from that it's pretty cool. I couldn't figure out how to do the view where the thumbnails are on top of the full screen view. I'm glad that you worked on this. I do get jealous of the portfolio apps on the Ipad at times.

Silly how simple things like multiple folders functionality didn't even occur to me - it sounds simple so I have added it on my To-do list. I want to get basic application preferences completed for the next release and will work on multiple folders next. The alternate view that you saw in the video is being merged into one app right now. You will be able to toggle the views via a quick menu option and set the default in the preferences.

I am curious how big your original images were? I would've thought that the code would work but just slower to process the image.

I will be purchase this app. :)

great job

I plan to keep it free and free of ads :)

Isun

Nov 9, 2008
You have made a great start and whether you keep it free or not. I support your efforts. I didn't get a chance to compare image quality but I will. Some of my images are as large 2400px on it's widest side but as I said those few images are mainly to allow the viewer to zoom in to see details. The app freezes or crashes when trying to see the larger images. Another thing I noticed is that vertical images are stretched out to crop into a horizontal meaning that currently you would have to make your whole portfolio horizontal. This is not a major issue but I wanted to mention it.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you know whether it works with ICS? It can't find my images (in a folder I made on the root of my internal sdcard, as well as on on the external sd...both named photography).

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
Do you know whether it works with ICS? It can't find my images (in a folder I made on the root of my internal sdcard, as well as on on the external sd...both named photography).

I am building this with a Xoom on Team EOS ICS rom so yes, it works on ICS. Have you tried a capital P in photography? I will have a new version up tonight that will let you select any folder on your Xoom.

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
You have made a great start and whether you keep it free or not. I support your efforts. I didn't get a chance to compare image quality but I will. Some of my images are as large 2400px on it's widest side but as I said those few images are mainly to allow the viewer to zoom in to see details. The app freezes or crashes when trying to see the larger images. Another thing I noticed is that vertical images are stretched out to crop into a horizontal meaning that currently you would have to make your whole portfolio horizontal. This is not a major issue but I wanted to mention it.

I will look into the crash issue with large photos. I am aware of the image distortion with vertical images. I am working on adding some code to re-size images for thumbnails while maintaining aspect ratio. Just not sure how to make the full screen interface work with vertical images - any suggestions on this end? Thanks for your feedback!

Ok...looking forward to trying the new version. Thanks!

It's up! The code for changing portfolio is very messy but it gets the job done. If you have already selected a folder and wish to change it, make sure you restart the application for the changes to take effect. You can force restart using the "Delete Thumbnails" menu option or through Fore Close in app info. Hope it works for you this time. Also make sure the images are in the appropriate resolution and in JPG or PNG format. Future versions will be able to handle any resolution images.

I love the simplicity of this, having just made an OTG cable for my Olympus camera, this app let's me show off my pics with ease. The transition between pics is rather nice too. 5 stars :)

Thank you! Glad you like the app - there is more to come soon.

Next items on the to-do list are (some are easy, others will take some time):
1. Merge alternate layout (shown in the Youtube video)
2. Fix thumbnail issues and crash with large images
3. Add preferences screen
4. Add ability for custom boot logo to personalize portfolios
5. Add multiple portfolios support

As always, comments and feedback are appreciated!

pucksen

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks! I really like this, also because of its simplicity.

Maybe you should get it to the market and earn some stars :)

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
I am very excited about the latest version because of the new features and the way the interface interacts with user settings. This is very preliminary but should give everyone a good feel for what direction this app is heading.

------------------ From OP ----------------------------------------

EDIT 1/19/12 - V3 Uploaded FotolioV3.apk
-> Cleaned up code to allow user to select portfolio folder
-> Added alternate view (as shown in Youtube Video)
-> Some cleanup that make app transitions seamless

** Lots more to clean up but wanted to get a new version out for everyone to test and play with **

ionSeven

Nov 4, 2008
York
Doesn't work on the Xoom pics either, shame as its a good app

Sorry ics, still setting up the dictionary lol

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Apachi2k

Jan 31, 2010
Doesn't work on the Xoom pics either, shame as its a good app

Sorry ics, still setting up the dictionary lol

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

What ICS version are you using? I am on Team EOS v34 and it works perfectly fine. I read up they changed the way storage mounts on v38+ so I'll upgrade and take a look. I'll have time tonight to work on this app and I plan to work on the issues so if you can get me the information in time, I may be able to fix it for you :)

Thanks everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you like this app, please rate it in Android market to show your support!

EDIT 7/12/12 - V1.3 Market Fotolio Android Market
    V1.3 - New file manager for selecting Fotolio
    V1.3 - Custom logo option
    V1.3 - UI Cleanup
    V1.3 - Bug Fixes (Galaxy S III crashes)

EDIT 7/12/12 - V1.2.5 Market - Jelly Bean Support Fotolio Android Market
    V1.2.5 - Jelly Bean Support
    V1.2.5 - New graphics for Fotolio selection with three templates
    V1.2.5 - Options to configure thumbnail and border sizes
    V1.2.5 - Bug fixes including blank image during multi-touch

EDIT 7/04/12 - V1.2.3 BETA - Multi-touch + Much More Fotolio Android Market
    V1.2.3 - Added pinch zoom (long press image to activate)
    V1.2.3 - App now rotates from Landscape to Portrait
    V1.2.3 - Added preferences menu options for personalizing UI
    V1.2.3 - As requested, options to select SlideShow speed
    V1.2.3 - Updated UI graphics and several bug fixes

EDIT 6/10/12 - V1.2.2 BETA - Multi-touch + Much More
    BETA - Multi-touch support (Enabled by longpressing on big image)
    BETA - Added preference menu
    BETA - Options to change slideshow intervals
    BETA - Added toggle for auto-crop
    BETA - Added toggle for auto-rotate
    BETA - Option to change UI Colors
    BETA - Sort files Ascending or Descending order (Random coming next)

EDIT 3/21/12 - V1.2 Market Update - New ScreenShots Below Fotolio Android Market
    V1.2 - Major Release
    V1.2 - Added new scrolling view
    V1.2 - Added multi-fotolio support
    V1.2 - Fixed memory leak to avoid out-of-memory issue
    V1.2 - Added prompt to turn descriptions on/off
    V1.2 - Minor UI changes across the app

Please test and give me your feedback. Thank you to blazingwolf for testing this version to make sure everyone gets the most out of this new version!

EDIT - REMOVED OLD UPDATES

Youtube Video

Thank you to everyone who has made this app a rewarding experience for me. What started as a personal challenge has now become a very successful Android app with 200+ downloads a day! Please follow this thread and like Fotolio on Facebook to keep up with the latest beta and request features!

I am a photographer and know a little bit of programming from high school days. I love the Xoom tablet and first thing I thought of using it for was for my photography portfolio. I soon realized that the built-in gallery is way overkill for something like a portfolio which gave me an idea to develop a simple app suited to showcase art or photography portfolios.

Before I share the app, let me just say that when I say I know very little about programming, I mean really very little. This app is fully functional on my Xoom but that is the only device I have been able to test it for. Theoretically, it should work with any Honeycomb tablet (maybe even some Gingerbread ones) but everything has been configured for the Xoom. With that said, below is a link
    to the latest version of the app.

I strongly recommend that you format the pictures to 1280 x 800 resolution for optimal performance. I am open to suggestions and feedback on what you think of the app and what features you would like to see.

Thanks!

App ScreenShots

FotolioSS2.jpg

FotolioSS1.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS6.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS7.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS8.jpg

Fotolio%20Market%20V1%20SS9.jpg
    Nice app.
    I've been using QuickPic. I first use the Gallery Frame widget to access a specific folder that will launch QuickPic. I use image widgets to open specific folders and have a custom 'Portfolio' widget that will launch QuickPic and show the full portfolio listing. The huge benefit of your app from what I can tell in the video is that you can scroll thumbnails over the image you are viewing and there is no lengthy set up as I did with mine. I'll download it and give my feedback.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

I will be purchase this app. :)

great job