[CM7.x][Patch] improve GPS and Sensors

Search This thread

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
I haven't try this patch, I am downloading it :D.. but AFAIK, since it will install something in /system and delete something in /data, you must mount /system and /data

Depending on how well the updater-script prepared by the author. You can flash a good update.zip directly from CWM Manager.

Last edited:

djsky2011

May 12, 2011
London
Hands down the best GPS fix. I'm getting a GPS reception in my basement and navigation is quicker than my Tom Tom

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium

nicgoh

Aug 19, 2011
Ipoh
tested on the GB AOSP by slaid and emo.. its working flawlessly! Lock time improved so much! thx a lot!

DaBigFreak

Dec 7, 2010
Kassel
Well I used it on my 7.1 CM, and I got an half that good GPS signal, satelites were not marked as fixed just when found, but fix comes faster.

But original CM7.1 by grif, I have double the GPS signal value, strange...

Spoonk

Sep 8, 2011
Sofia
This is amazing?! This is not my Ace! GPS locked my position in less than 6 seconds, INSIDE my work office! I tried with GPS Test and with Sygic, without Agps enabled, and... I cannot believe in my eyes:)) This is the patch of the year along with Battery drain fix, for my phone:)))) Thanks!
a47c5d2034b68b8b.png

nabildanial

Nov 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Woooaa...

Before this, I have never had the first gps fix within 15 seconds, along 6 meters errors. I edited the gps.conf, and it does perform wonderfully. Really!! Great fix!

xarive

Dec 14, 2011
Georgetown, Ayer Itam
Woooaa...

Before this, I have never had the first gps fix within 15 seconds, along 6 meters errors. I edited the gps.conf, and it does perform wonderfully. Really!! Great fix!

Are you changing the gps.conf from europe pool to asia pool? I did change that but my gps lock doesn't show good result. Mostly accurate to 400m+.

Did you add up secgps.conf in the /data/gps/ ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's a patch for CM7.X to improve GPS and Sensors.

The 'new' CM7.2 from vo-1 is IMHO the best CM7 we have. Only thing which disturbed me was the slow GPS. The PFGPS Tweaks by PFittech didn't really work for me. So i took a look at the GPS functions of Stock Samsung ROM to see what i can do. CM7 and Samsung use different ways to provide GPS funtions. While CM7 'directly' accesses the hardware, Samsung does it via a running daemon (/system/bin/gpsd'). Obviously this works much better than GPS functions provided by CM7. So i decided to try the Samsung GPS functions in CM7 which worked very well out of the box. I always have a GPS-Fix now in less than a minute. This required a complete replacement of HW libs provided by CM7. This worked without any problems. All Sensors (at least for me) are working. More than that, i personally have the feeling that everything is a little bit smoother and faster. But that maybe a 'Placebo'...

Anyway, here's the patch for those who want to try. What does it do ?

- it completely replaces the libs in /system/lib/hw with libs from Samsung STOCK ROM
    - it installs 'gpsd' in /system/bin
    - it installs a stock gps.conf in /etc
    - it wipes your /data/gps directory to remove old xtra.bin files

Note: PFGPS doesn't work with this patch So if you've already flashed PFIttech's PFGPS tweaks, they will be uninstalled by my patch.

All necessary entries to start the daemon and prepare directories were already found in 'init.gt-s5830.rc' (..which is very strange because there isn't any /system/bin/gpsd in a standard CM7.X installation). I've tested my patch on a clean CM7.2 (vo-1) installation. But it should work on all CM7 variants.

Before flashing don't forget to create a CWM backup.

No need to wipe anything. Just flash via CWM 5.0.2.6

DOWNLOAD: http://www.4shared.com/zip/G6mCEPDh/cm7X_gpspatch.html

Please report here if it worked for you or if you find any problems...

ENJOY
    GPS & Sensors Patch Updated by itasoulas (April 2nd, 2012)

:: Updated system\bin\gpsd from XXKPT
    :: Updated system\etc\gps.conf from XXKPT
    :: Updated system\lib\hw from XXKPT
    :: I think now with updated files locks faster

+ All credits go to lagloose, I just updated the files on his original zip with latest sources from XXKPT
    + If you have original patch, just boot in recovery, mount system and install this. It will overwrite old files and wipe your /data/gps directory to remove old xtra.bin files as original file. So if you start your GPS is like using it for the first time.
    + Please backup your current rom before flashing this. It is highly unlikely that this will do any harm to your phone but you never know, sometimes sh*t happens!

NOTE: The updated gps.conf file does not specify a pool server, e.g. Europe, Asia, etc.. in contrast with lagloose's file that has been edited to specify Europe server. That's good for European users cause even at first use they'll get a faster lock. But users in other continents won't! But after first use all users should lock fast (or faster) as with lagloose's patch. I could have done different versions for each pool server but just would be a pain in the a*s. The bottom line is that after first use you get fast lock as with stock

In order for you to get fastest gps lock ever, do this:
    1. Go to my zip, system\etc and open the gps.conf with notepad or wordpad
    2. Before the following
    SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com
    SUPL_PORT=7276

add
    NTP_SERVER=YOURCOUNTRY.pool.ntp.org (if you don't know how exactly your country must be written visit this http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/@)
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

3. Save file
    4. Now your gps is locked to your country.
    5. Flash, reboot and enjoy!!! Updated sources from XXKPT with your configuration=SPEED!

Example
    Hey lagloose. Heard your patch worked on CyanogenMod 9 by Maclaw. Can you work a bit more on it as the GPS doesn't seem to lock for many users?

Thanks in Advance.

cm9 patch on Monday...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA
    Could someone please uploud the fix on mediafire? I just can't download it from 4shared :'(

Not mediafire, but it should work just like it no wait times or anything, directly from bropbox.

http://db.tt/PaKw0LmD