[Guide?] Returning to factory from S-OFF and need to go back to stock everything.

Search This thread

murf43143

Oct 29, 2007
Is the following going to be what I need to get my phone in for warranty? Do I need to go back to S-ON or does S-OFF not void warranty if everything else is stock?

What I did:
1) Make a full TWRP backup and copy it to my HD from the phone.

2) Remove my “tampered flag” (thank you scotty1223)

3) Do a “Wipe” in TWRP.

4) Downloaded the “1.54.651.8-Stock.zip” and flashed that using TWRP (thank you Rydah805).

5) Downloaded the “Stock Recovery From 1.54.651.8 OTA" from the same thread.

6) Manually flashed the recovery.img above in fastboot using the command “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”

7) Relock the “lock status flag” to lock my bootloader using this thread (thank you again scotty1223).

At this point I had a completely wiped system on reboot. I don’t know how but SuperSU was still on my device when I powered it back on but everything else was wiped. I then went in to SuperSU “settings” and then did the “Full unroot” to uninstall SuperSU.

Is this all I need to do to send in for warranty on my cracked screen or do I need to remove S-OFF on the bootloader also?

Thank you to all.

murf43143

Oct 29, 2007
did you use htcdev to unlock?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Yes, I initially used the HTCDEV to unlock which voids the warranty. There are ways to revert from that though and that is what I am trying to accomplish by going back to stock everything.

I don't know if I need to flash the full firmware or not after I installed the stock nandroid backup from step 4).

Thank you for the reply.

Zzz73

Jan 20, 2012
Grand Forks
oh OK. of you know a way around. i thought it registered your serial with HTC...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Is the following going to be what I need to get my phone in for warranty? Do I need to go back to S-ON or does S-OFF not void warranty if everything else is stock?

What I did:
1) Make a full TWRP backup and copy it to my HD from the phone.

2) Remove my “tampered flag” (thank you scotty1223)

3) Do a “Wipe” in TWRP.

4) Downloaded the “1.54.651.8-Stock.zip” and flashed that using TWRP (thank you Rydah805).

5) Downloaded the “Stock Recovery From 1.54.651.8 OTA" from the same thread.

6) Manually flashed the recovery.img above in fastboot using the command “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”

7) Relock the “lock status flag” to lock my bootloader using this thread (thank you again scotty1223).

At this point I had a completely wiped system on reboot. I don’t know how but SuperSU was still on my device when I powered it back on but everything else was wiped. I then went in to SuperSU “settings” and then did the “Full unroot” to uninstall SuperSU.

Is this all I need to do to send in for warranty on my cracked screen or do I need to remove S-OFF on the bootloader also?

Thank you to all.

I would put it back to s-on as well.

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Thank you for the reply.

I was under the impression that S-OFF did not void warranty on its own and in fact I read on many of the threads I posted that they recommend not to go back to S-ON.

I need to find that out I suppose. Thanks again.

The only reason I say that is because I had a bad experience last year with my M7 being sent back to HTC.

If I was confident I could get s-off again when the phone cane back I would do it just to make sure it wouldn't be denied. Of course that's just me. Definitely try and find some more people's experience before you do anything.

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T
I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer to your question because people have all had different experiences when it comes to HTC's warranty department. Some get denied for tampering and voiding the warranty while another customer with almost an almost identical issue breezes through without even un-rooting.....

It is very likely they have some other means of telling whether the stock firmware/software has been replaced at some point that we have no clue about. If they wanted to be hardarses about this kind of thing I'm sure they are quite capable of doing so but I do not think it is in their best interest as a company to get that kind of PR when you have Google and Motorola offering warranties (guaranteed or something like that I read somewhere?) despite tampering. 'Power users' like most of the members on XDA, are a huge market who often have multiple devices and a high level of influence with friends, relatives, coworkers etc when it comes time for their upgrades...You can see where that train of thought ends up I hope.^^

Anyway, sorry for the ranting, haha. My point is that you should take every precaution you can including going back to S-On, "Locking" the bootloader again, and ensuring your device is as exactly like it was when you first got it if you want to minimize your chances of getting denied your warranty. You can always look back on it and go, well maybe I didn't have to go through all that trouble but sure glad it got fixed! That's a much better alternative than the regret you'd have if something as simple as S-Off is to fix(or faux fix) resulted in your claim getting denied.^^

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

Reactions: murf43143

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer to your question because people have all had different experiences when it comes to HTC's warranty department. Some get denied for tampering and voiding the warranty while another customer with almost an almost identical issue breezes through without even un-rooting.....

It is very likely they have some other means of telling whether the stock firmware/software has been replaced at some point that we have no clue about. If they wanted to be hardarses about this kind of thing I'm sure they are quite capable of doing so but I do not think it is in their best interest as a company to get that kind of PR when you have Google and Motorola offering warranties (guaranteed or something like that I read somewhere?) despite tampering. 'Power users' like most of the members on XDA, are a huge market who often have multiple devices and a high level of influence with friends, relatives, coworkers etc when it comes time for their upgrades...You can see where that train of thought ends up I hope.^^

Anyway, sorry for the ranting, haha. My point is that you should take every precaution you can including going back to S-On, "Locking" the bootloader again, and ensuring your device is as exactly like it was when you first got it if you want to minimize your chances of getting denied your warranty. You can always look back on it and go, well maybe I didn't have to go through all that trouble but sure glad it got fixed! That's a much better alternative than the regret you'd have if something as simple as S-Off is to fix(or faux fix) resulted in your claim getting denied.^^

Best of luck, whatever you decide!