[Q] Best OS for Vibrant?

Search This thread

djolam

Sep 24, 2012
Hey forum,

I got my old Vibrant replaced with refurb and wanted to try something new so I went back to stock and then installed ICS by passion. However, this has been nothing but a headache because the phone is very laggy.

Since the phone is for my wife and she doesn't give a rip what's on it, I figured I'd go back to froyo but remember the GPS still causing me issues and she relies on it pretty heavily for her business.

I read a few threads that Nero by team whiskey was good but all the links i've found are dead and so TW's main domain.

What is the most stable and easy version I can put back on her phone that actually has a working GPS? Also, I'm a straight up noob at most of this even though I have over 15 years of corporate level IT experience. I feel like I'm just starting over trying to learn all the stuff one can do with Android phones. so please, if you have links that work, feel free to post. :)

Thanks!
Jeremy

ToStymiedBoar

Mar 5, 2012
Hey forum,

I got my old Vibrant replaced with refurb and wanted to try something new so I went back to stock and then installed ICS by passion. However, this has been nothing but a headache because the phone is very laggy.

Since the phone is for my wife and she doesn't give a rip what's on it, I figured I'd go back to froyo but remember the GPS still causing me issues and she relies on it pretty heavily for her business.

I read a few threads that Nero by team whiskey was good but all the links i've found are dead and so TW's main domain.

What is the most stable and easy version I can put back on her phone that actually has a working GPS? Also, I'm a straight up noob at most of this even though I have over 15 years of corporate level IT experience. I feel like I'm just starting over trying to learn all the stuff one can do with Android phones. so please, if you have links that work, feel free to post. :)

Thanks!
Jeremy

Try Helly Bean along with the V6 Supercharger.
There's only one place I get lag and that is when intializing Google Now the new feature in JB.

Last edited:

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Android is the only OS the Vibrant run right now that I know of, but I wouldn't mind trying out other linux OS on it.

To answer your question, I use SlimRom on all my devices I have and had. I found CyanogenMod 7 and SlimICS gets better GPS signal. SlimBean can get signal, but tend to be slower but I expect it to improve over time. With my Vibrant, without doing the "hardware GPS fix" its impossible to get any GPS signal.

Last edited:

djolam

Sep 24, 2012
Android is the only OS the Vibrant run right now that I know of, but I wouldn't mind trying out other linux OS on it.

To answer your question, I use SlimRom on all my devices I have and had. I found CyanogenMod 7 and SlimICS gets better GPS signal. SlimBean can get signal, but tend to be slower but I expect it to improve over time. With my Vibrant, without doing the "hardware GPS fix" its impossible to get any GPS signal.

Thank you! I guess my question should have been stated, which Android version runs best on the Vibrant. :)

I'm trying to keep her phone as stock as possible. So far I went back to stock and then updated to FROYO 2.2 and rooted it just for a few apps. I have noticed that my system/xbin is full which caused me issues installing busybox. It finally installed but I'm still showing 0 space in that folder. Is this normal or did I forget something when going to back to stock?

ToStymiedBoar

Mar 5, 2012
Thank you! I guess my question should have been stated, which Android version runs best on the Vibrant. :)

I'm trying to keep her phone as stock as possible. So far I went back to stock and then updated to FROYO 2.2 and rooted it just for a few apps. I have noticed that my system/xbin is full which caused me issues installing busybox. It finally installed but I'm still showing 0 space in that folder. Is this normal or did I forget something when going to back to stock?

I didn't stay on Froyo long enough to tell what the partitioning looked like but on CM10/JB it was changed. I use JB as my daily driver. Like others my GPS is for the most part none functional. This is not the fault of the ROM but hardware design. When I get industrious I will fix it. More likely I will upgrade by then.

samsgun357

May 3, 2012

I'm not sure why this happens but I also saw this on froyo.

sent from the depths of helly bean