[ROM] ParanoidAndroid 3.60 (HALO)

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
More good news. I set Opera Mobile to tablet GUI, 128 dpi, upgraded to latest flash player 11 and lo and behold, flash works! This with mateorod's non-opengl base.

Sent from my Nook Color running ParanoidAndroid and Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidr415

Feb 16, 2011
Can someone comment specifically on general performance.. "smoothness," "Snappiness", "lagginess" (three very hi-tech terms), FC's? Etc..

I have all my uSD's full right now and am wondering if I should replace one of the other systems with this one. Current using AOKP (krylon360).. happy with it but curious about general performance differences or similarities.

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
Man I was so all over this rom last night I didn't even get to sleep till 4am and now I woke up at 9am just to play with it again. This is the BEST work I have seem for a rom all these options is totally what I have been looking for. Only thing missing is the option for the ICS onscreen buttons to be able to be turned on and off and this is complete. GREAT JOB +1

They need to have all these options implemented into cm9 and AOKP builds. Great job again guys really really great job!

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

This needs to make it to front page.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
More good news. I set Opera Mobile to tablet GUI, 128 dpi, upgraded to latest flash player 11 and lo and behold, flash works! This with mateorod's non-opengl base.

Sent from my Nook Color running ParanoidAndroid and Tapatalk

Is this something that still doesn't work for our CM9? Because that would be real interesting...(sorry, my nook still has no network so I had to farm out any testing that involved the internet...)

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, everyone. I am going to see what I can do about the little clean up stuff this ROM needs over the next several days.

Reactions: halrulez

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Is this something that still doesn't work for our CM9? Because that would be real interesting...
Flash does not usually work on non-opengl CM9. A couple of months ago I discovered that flash worked with my soft navigation patch and opera mobile. Shortly after that I did not need the patch anymore, just some settings in build.prop. And flash quit working in Opera. Now it works again.

Reactions: mateorod

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Since it seems there's an overall positive response and the paranoid guys have updated to v1.6 mateorod has already begun work on an updated version. It might be the last ICS version depending on how things go with CMs jellybean merge.. which is already underway ;)

leapinlar, computerist, or anyone else that's had a chance to play with this over the past day, please post up your pad.prop files (/system/pad.prop). This is where the rom stores the configs/dpis you have chosen for the system/apps. I'd like to compare peoples preferences and see if we can put together a stock pad.prop that offers the best of what you've found so far - eg. we'll put leapinlars opera mobile settings in, so if someone downloads the rom, they can go install opera mobile and the rom will be set up for the optimal settings.

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Since it seems there's an overall positive response and the paranoid guys have updated to v1.6 mateorod has already begun work on an updated version. It might be the last ICS version depending on how things go with CMs jellybean merge.. which is already underway ;)

leapinlar, computerist, or anyone else that's had a chance to play with this over the past day, please post up your pad.prop files (/system/pad.prop). This is where the rom stores the configs/dpis you have chosen for the system/apps. I'd like to compare peoples preferences and see if we can put together a stock pad.prop that offers the best of what you've found so far - eg. we'll put leapinlars opera mobile settings in, so if someone downloads the rom, they can go install opera mobile and the rom will be set up for the optimal settings.

You took the words out of my mouth...I am working on the update now, and it will involve bringing it forward to Paranoid Android 1.6 as well as some residual cleanup. I intended to take a little more time than this, but I figure getting 1.6 out is the first priority. After the update, then I will go into serious cleanup mode.

So, yes, please post any tips and attach any pad.prop (in /system) that you have worked on.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Here is my pad.prop. There is nothing really special there. I like phone gui, but set a few apps to tablet ui with low dpi. But in particular I have YouTube set for 128 dpi and phone ui. That makes the videos play in HQ instead of attempting to play in HD and failing. I think computerist mentioned that. And with my settings for Opera Mobile (128dpi, tablet ui) it plays flash. Other things are just me experimenting with various apps to make them readable to me. I did have to update to the latest Root Explorer to get it to show it's menus properly.

One other thing, I wiped everything and started fresh so I could not figure out why things were kind of sluggish. I forgot to set overclock. lol.

Edit: Also playing around I see there is an app that lets you back up your pad.prop file to SD. This is good if it does get overwritten in a new flash. Just restore from SD after flashing.

Removed attachment

Last edited:
Reactions: mateorod

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
I'll upload mine in a little bit. I will also add my build prop too. and voltage settings. I have this thing as smooth as cm7 right now, except for load times. couldn't tune that part. but traditions and animations are fast. Plus I took swappiness up to 90%...... is nice!

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
ok so here they are in a zip. I couldn't get them to upload any other way.

Voltages are as follows: ps these gave better battery "and" made the rom quicker.

Step1 0.825v
Step2 1.0v
Step3 1.15v
Step4 1.225v
Step5 1.3v

SD read ahead is set for 4096 on a 16gb class10 PNY
The rom is running from the emmc

oom is enabled

I am on conservative Gov 300-1200
And was running BFQ but have seen improvements in speed using noop so switched over.

Hope this helps a little.

Once again I am SUPER excited over this rom and all its options.

BIG THANKS to you guys and great work.

I'll upload mine in a little bit. I will also add my build prop too. and voltage settings. I have this thing as smooth as cm7 right now, except for load times. couldn't tune that part. but traditions and animations are fast. Plus I took swappiness up to 90%...... is nice!

Attachments

• halrulez_props.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 47

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
An update on the update, as it were.

I had been having problems with porting the 1.6 Paranoid Android framework over to us. It turns out that the framework is relaint on runtime a lib that is chipset specific and that was my problem. They are considering rebuilding it as a porters version, but for now only the PA creator's devices have 1.6, along with anything that may happen to have the same chip as they do.

There are some things about 1.5 to tweak while we wait, and I think that eyeballer's plan to aggregate a pad.prop is a quite worthy addition. So this ROM will get an update over the next week. I am going to return my attention to 1.5 until we get any news from PA.

From what they tell us (without source, we kind of have to wait to be told), there aren't any major updates in 1.6 outside of the speed increases, which are unfortunately the very thing that is stopping us from effectively porting. It somewhat sounds like they were trying to get ICS out of the way so they could move on to JellyBean. So basically, the same thing you're seeing all over XDA lol.

I'm all about JellyBean, but they sure know how to shoot a platform in the foot, don't they? ICS died before it ever truly lived...

Thanks for trying the ROM and keep submitting any interesting pad.props. And anytime you play with the Paranoid Settings, you're writing to pad.prop. So anyone who is playing with their GUI has something to offer!

derekr44

Mar 13, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
ok so here they are in a zip. I couldn't get them to upload any other way.

Voltages are as follows: ps these gave better battery "and" made the rom quicker.

Step1 0.825v
Step2 1.0v
Step3 1.15v
Step4 1.225v
Step5 1.3v

SD read ahead is set for 4096 on a 16gb class10 PNY
The rom is running from the emmc

oom is enabled

I am on conservative Gov 300-1200
And was running BFQ but have seen improvements in speed using noop so switched over.

Hope this helps a little.

Once again I am SUPER excited over this rom and all its options.

BIG THANKS to you guys and great work.

Couple questions:
How did you adjust your SD read ahead?
What do you mean by OOM? Noop?

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
Couple questions:
How did you adjust your SD read ahead?
What do you mean by OOM? Noop?

I use 2 specific programs that let you tweak you android experience. My fav one is, and well worth the money is ROM too box pro. The other is free and very awesome to use once you get to know what everything does, system tuner. To learn what all the settings do I suggest searching through xda and learning what they do before tweeking. To set read ahead times there are allot of free SD programs on Google play. But if you get both these programs they are well worth it. The part about noop is the sceduler . It is what controls the type of I/O that the kernel uses. I change this with ROM toolbox. But there are free CPU/kernal tweeking programs free on play aswell. Hope this helps a little. ;)

If you have any more questions I'll always try to help the best I can.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: derekr44

skyliner33v

Dec 22, 2011
I am so flashing this as soon as i can get my NC fixed. Im running this rom on my samsung infuse phone and i love it.

Btw, anyone know how i can replace a cracked NC screen? It still works perfectly except anything above the crack doesnt respond to touches.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using XDA

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Edit: Also playing around I see there is an app that lets you back up your pad.prop file to SD. This is good if it does get overwritten in a new flash. Just restore from SD after flashing.

Removed attachment

I haven't used the backup app yet, but you guys want to try a cool trick I wish I knew ages ago?

Create a file called custom_backup_list.text in system/etc. Populate it with whatever you wish to survive a CM install. So for pad.prop, the file would just say /system/pad.prop.

Tell me that won't make your life easier...could have used this when I was updating every night.

derekr44

Mar 13, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
I use 2 specific programs that let you tweak you android experience. My fav one is, and well worth the money is ROM too box pro. The other is free and very awesome to use once you get to know what everything does, system tuner. To learn what all the settings do I suggest searching through xda and learning what they do before tweeking. To set read ahead times there are allot of free SD programs on Google play. But if you get both these programs they are well worth it. The part about noop is the sceduler . It is what controls the type of I/O that the kernel uses. I change this with ROM toolbox. But there are free CPU/kernal tweeking programs free on play aswell. Hope this helps a little. ;)

If you have any more questions I'll always try to help the best I can.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Fantastic! Thanks for the help. My SD is blazing at 4096 (19.6W/30.1R). This ROM is very quick with those system adjustments.

Perhaps I didn't boot the market correctly, but should I be able to get ICS launchers from the market (like Apex)? Play says it is incompatible with my device.

halrulez

Nov 30, 2007
Fantastic! Thanks for the help. My SD is blazing at 4096 (19.6W/30.1R). This ROM is very quick with those system adjustments.

Perhaps I didn't boot the market correctly, but should I be able to get ICS launchers from the market (like Apex)? Play says it is incompatible with my device.

Try going into settings then apps select google play market, what ever it is called now lol clean your data and cache on the app then restart the nook. Should work then. If not then go into recovery and wipe you cache and dalv cache that should do the trick.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

It might think you are still on cm7 thats why

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    eyeballer and I are pleased to announce that​

images

ParanoidAndroid 3.60
    for the Nook Color is now available!​

images
    images
    images

ParanoidAndroid 3.15 is a AOSP based rom that allows users to enjoy tablet or phone UI, or hybrid.
    Most apps have several different UI's for various layouts, choose which interface you prefer.​

Paranoid Android sources are out and building a ROM has never been easier. See the third post for instructions!

AOSPA Features include
    • Control the UI of individual apps as well as your entire tablet
    • Small. mid and large tabletUI layout.
    • Customization of toolbars, lockscreen and more/
    • Netflix. Update: Now working with latest apk from Play Store, but you need this hack.
    • Color-splash for nav-bar and apps
    • Expanded Desktop w/ PIE controls

• I especially would like you to take a second and appreciate the Cyanogen team, especially our home team of fat-tire, nemith, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360 and steven676.
      I would recommend you never pass up an opportunity to thank those guys for their efforts

From one of the PA creators, molesarecoming...

To be honest, this is not tablet mode at all, it has nothing to do with silly build.prop hacks.

This is the first and only Android rom to feature true Hybrid mode.
    This rom lets you scale and project every app, every widget, even systemcomponents individually.
    Remember, android is modular, everything is an app: Lockscreen, navigationbar, dialogs, popups, keyboards, widgets, and your regular apps of course.
    Apps have the capability to switch into various designs or layouts according to the device they run on.
    This can result in a complete new experience as many apps will transform to the better.

Now for every element that you like chose a mode (PhoneUI, Phablet/Nexus-7UI, TabletUI) and/or a size.
    You are 100% independent of the system DPI which runs nicely in whatever value it has been assigned to.
    You do not need to boot your phone into a certain DPI. Neither will most of the changes you apply require a reboot.
    You will not suffer from the myriads of troubles which normally haunt you under build.prop tablet mode.
    Your market, phone, etc. will all work, apps won't shrink on you unless you shrink them yourself.
    This project will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the feel of your phone.

6939535_orig.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the ROM for the Nook Color

In the settings, you will see a new pane for Hybrid Settings.
    • Here you can adjust the default GUI and DPI for all system or user apps, or even each app individually. There is a picture walk-through at the top of the third post.

Download

• Updates will also be available through Goo Manager via browse compatible roms -> mateor -> paranoidAndroid
    • No special GAPPS necessary; just use the latest you can find!
    • If you are going to run this from an sdcard, see Leapinlar's sdcard-install guide

New! Download Page

PA is using NookieDev's 3.x kernel and device tree, among other projects.

3.15 Issue List
    • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best. This will continue to be worked on. (Here was one attempt)
    • You can only reboot into recovery through Cyanoboot!
    • Boot animation is in landscape
    • You will have to reflash GAPPS each update (known upstream issue)
    • Governor/Scheduler selection in Settings does not stick (Works in 3rd party apps like TricksterMod)
    • Some ALSA -related noise in logcat I plan on investigating.
    • You tell me!

Contributions to any aspect of the project are welcome, see the involved projects here.

Thanks are due to:
    • molesarecoming, aaronpoweruser, D4rKn3sSys and the ParanoidAndroid Team
    • The CM Team, including our own fattire, keyodi, dalingrin, eyeballer, Krylon360, sluo (yeah, that's right, we thanked ourselves. What about it?)
    • steven676 deserves a special mention for maintaining our device and kernel. This update in particular owes him a large debt.
    • kevank, snipa, and the rest of TeamWin for hosting and general good will (yeah, twice) (Wanna make something of it?)
    • tonyp for general PA expertise
    • inportb for GP.
    • RedneckReg for the replacement device and Leapinlar for all he does for the Nook community.
    Here is a walk-through of how to interact with Paranoid Settings (found in the device settings menu)
    You will notice some of the above user-interfaces are not yet available on this rom. Every device is configured differently.

Easiest build instructions on XDA!

These instructions are for 64 bit Linux environments, try VirtualBox if you don't use Linux normally.

Take 15 minutes and follow the beginning of this guide. if you don't have ADB set-up, it will take longer, but that is just for downloading the SDK.
    If you need help installing the JDK (the hardest part, honest) do this (this is the absolute easiest way)
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget https://github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/raw/0.2.7/oab-java.sh -O oab-java.sh
    chmod +x oab-java.sh
    sudo ./oab-java.sh
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

When it gets to the step to intialize the repo (repo init -u ETC.) STOP, and come back here, You are done with that guide, forever. Those steps only need to be done once.

Enter:
    Code:
    [FONT="Courier New"]repo init -u git://github.com/mateor/android.git -b pa-4.2[/FONT]
    [FONT="Courier New"]repo sync[/FONT]

If you experience fetch errors during the repo sync, change the command to repo sync -j4 -f. If they still occur, then repo sync -j1 -f.
    This will take a long time, do it before bed, or family time, or go eat.

When the sync is done
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch pa_encore-userdebug
    make bacon

You're done! I used to have a build script here, but that is not currently working, ParanoidAndroid preferences FCs with the build script.

When it is done compiling, your ROM will be waiting for you at ~/android/system/pa/out/target/product/encore.

Fat-tire says this makes you an Android ninja, so you know it must be true. That means that if you don't try, you are admitting you don't want to be a ninja. Which reveals you to be the geek you already are but with loser rubbed all over you. Why else are you on XDA if not to learn?
    Great work by mateorod on this!

Building from source is a ton better than the older builds where we had to patch frameworks from other devices.

Please post any feedback and/or preferred settings that you find or use for certain apps so we can improve the default experience.
    ParanoidAndroid 3.15 for the Nook Color is available for download. (Attention: New Download page!)

banner_505uxa.png

• You will likely need a complete wipe, this is a massive change from any PA roms that we released before. To try PIE controls, hold down the power button to get to the power menu and select it from there.

This was a truly challenging project...it took quite a balancing act to bring something pretty close to AOSP to the Nook Color. The way this device boots, its hardware...let's just say that things aren't being done this way anymore. It took quite a bit of jiggery-pokery, much of which was first developed when bringing CM7 to the Nook, work by guys like Dalingrin and nemith. The recent changes in the device and kernel, the things that brought us to speed with Android 4.2.2, that was done pretty exclusively by Steven676, a guy that everyone here should thank whenever you come across him.

I am grateful that the project has made it's way to light...I learned a ton about how the Nook operates. It has been a durable and hackable machine. I keep thinking each update will be its last and yet the Nook keeps suprising me. I spent the time to handle and correct any build errors from our end, look at the third post of this thread for updated build instructions. They are very, very simple.

This is AOSPA, and will be pretty different to what you are used to if you don't own a Nexus device or haven't tried vanilla AOSP before. Many settings have changed, moved, or flat-out aren't included. If you have something you want (be reasonable in terms of scope, please) let me know, I can try.

My bug list when first building was fairly obscene, and included pretty massive system-level services that were malfunctioning. This is the bug list now, as I am aware of it:
    • When in extended desktop or 0% navbar, touch events where the nav bar was are touchy, at best.
    • You can only reboot into recovery through Cyanoboot!
    • Boot animation is in landscape
    • You will have to reflash GAPPS each update (known upstream issue)
    • Some ALSA -related noise in logcat I plan on investigating.
    • You tell me!

Thanks for sticking with the Nook and trying the ROM. This was hard to get right, I hope it works for you. Please be aware that there is a brand new download page, I apologize for the many changes on that front. Special mentions go to Redneck Reg, whose donated Nook made this project possible, and Leapinlar, who in many ways willed this update into being from afar, and was an extremely valuable tester and source of ideas.

ps. Somehow, I still included the torch.apk in this build, despite making several notes to myself to delete it. Next week, ok?
    Sorry for long delay, I had a very irritating problem with the update ( now solved). Details (and zip) this week.

Edit: AOSPA ParanoidAndroid 3.15!