[ZIP] Dynamic automated build.prop editing

What about an app? See post #90 for more infos, let me know what you think!

• Total voters
Search This thread

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
Hey,

since I'm flashing nightlies on a regular basis and also want to use my own custom /system/build.prop file, there are a few ways to accomplish both things as easy as possible:

Backing up /system/build.prop through a script in /system/addon.d
Flashing my own file using a zip after every update
Restoring previous build.prop using a Editor app and reboot
Manually change or add every desired entry and reboot

For most of you one of these ways should absolutely do the trick, but my problem was either things like build version, date, etc. got stuck at my custom file's one or I had to reboot after manually updating it, which got really annoying after several times.

So I decided to create my own flashable zip which works as follows:

Somewhere on the device is a simple text file in which are all those entries that shall be changed,added to or removed from /system/build.prop (In my case it's /sdcard/tweak.prop)
After mounting /system and /data (not if they are already) and setting write permissions to /system/build.prop the zip extracts a shell script to /tmp/tweakprop.sh
It This script scans the text file (aborts if not found) and looks for changed, new or unwanted entries in /system/build.prop in order to apply them. Changed entries will be overridden, new ones will be added, unwanted get removed and entries existing in /system/build.prop but not in your personal file will be ignored
When tweaking is done, it just removes /tmp/tweakprop.sh and unmounts /system and /data (only if they weren't mounted before) and reverts /system/build.prop's permissions to rw-r--r--

-> (See content of example.txt for more detailed examples and syntax!)

Using this method, you can not only forget about manually updating versions and/or lame reboots after updates for changes to take effect, but also edit your personal text file at any time without root rights beeing required. Once set up to be flashed after every update, your /system/build.prop is always tweaked as you wish and looks like a stock one (ROM version, etc. under About Phone).

The zip flashes well on all recoveries. Make sure your tweak.prop file ends with an empty line, otherwise the last line will be ignored!

I hope some of you can use this zip, it's free to modify. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

This project has been moved to a git repo at https://notabug.org/kl3/tweakprop. Please refer to it in the future to get updates as this is much easier for me to maintain. Upcoming changelog can be found here.

Last edited:

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
Changelog

Changelog
version 0.1:

• initial release

version 0.2:

• ignore lines in personal file not matching a valid entry pattern (someVAR=someVAL) to not mess up /system/build.prop and support personal structuring inside the file like "# media tweaks #", "# dalvik section #", etc.
  • code cleaned up

version 0.2.1:

• typo fixed in line 24 of tweakprop.sh so the if-statement asks for the correct file (thanks to the_pirate_predator)

version 0.3:

• changed the while-loop to get it's input directly from sed, which makes a second buffer file obsolete

version 0.3.5:

• example.txt provided as tweak.prop template
  • ignore lines beginning with # or being empty

version 0.4:

• instead of a fixed path, the personal file gets searched on internal storage (file name can be set in the script) so you can put your file anywhere - no more problems with /sdcard/ or /sdcard/0/ on different devices
  • personal file must not be empty, otherwise script aborts#
  • only override really different entry values in order to prevent "... value of someVAR overridden" spam in recovery log

version 0.4.5:

• fixed last line of personal file being ignored due to deleting all empty lines before
  • speed up search for personal file, now looking on internal storage and even on external SD card if nothing was found before (ext. SD neither gets checked if present, nor mounted or unmounted, just trying to search on it silently)

version 0.4.5a:

• same as 0.4.5a, but personal file is inside the zip and gets extracted to /tmp/tweak.prop, no need to have one on the internal storage

version 0.4.6(a):

• output not shown in TWRP fixed, now works as it should

version 0.5:

• code cleanup: everything's now in the update-binary, resulting in much less code and faster execution time
  • output to recovery should now work on all device-recovery combinations

version 0.5.1:

• lines beginning with ! will be removed globally
  • little code-cleanup

version 0.5.2
:

• lines beginning with @ will append the string after | to values of existent entries
  • slight changes in code structure

version 0.5.3
:

• lines beginning with $ will change the value to the string after | only if the entry already exists, hence $telephony.lteCdmaDevice|1 is nothing but a more explicit approach of telephony.lteCdmaDevice=1, as the first one will only make changes but no new entries

version 0.5.4
:

• the build.prop file can now be backed up before editing using a BACKUP= line, see example.txt for details
  • tiny bug fixed

version 0.5.4a
:

• tweak.prop file (example.txt) is included, no personal file on your device's storage is used. Edit the zip's content before flashing!

version 0.5.9(a)
:

• Error handling fixed, script properly exits now if anything failes and won't make further changes
  • More verbose output
  • Date and tweak.prop version added to backup files to keep track of them
  • Special characters like / are now escaped and handled correctly by sed
  • Slight changes in coding style as it's good practise

Last edited:

TheEdgeOfRage

Apr 28, 2012
Novi Sad
Such Awesome, much appreciate :D i wanted to make one too, but never got the time to.

Sent from my Xperia V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jonwgee

Apr 26, 2009
Dekalb
What should my text file look like if I just want to add one line of text at the end of my build.prop? For example,
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
to activate softkeys on a device with capacitive buttons?
Thanks

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

T

the_pirate_predator

Need some information

I need explanation for the following lines of code.
Code:
## your personal file with tweaks and custom entries/values
tweak=/sdcard/0/tweak.prop
## abort execution if $tweaks not found
if [ ! -e $tweaks ]
then
	ui_print "ERROR: Personal file not found. No changes were made."
	ui_print "Script aborted. Check file path and flash again."
	exit 0
fi

## read only lines matching any valid entry pattern (someVAR=someVAL), e.g.
## net.bt.name=Android, omni.device=n7100, url.legal=http://www ...
sed '/.*=.*/!d' $tweak > /tmp/tweak.prop
tweaks=/tmp/tweak.prop
You are giving a condition loop without even declaring the variable "tweaks" at first. You have declared only after the loop ends. Then that means, the code in the loop never executes. I think this is a small mistake you did with the code. Make sure you correct those.

But else, a great work!! :good: :good:

Last edited:

thewisenerd

Sep 27, 2012
Sorry, but stick to one variable, "tweak", or "tweaks".

Otherwise, its a very simple, yet efficient algorithm. :good:

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
What should my text file look like if I just want to add one line of text at the end of my build.prop? For example,
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
to activate softkeys on a device with capacitive buttons?
Just a simple text file containing your mentioned line. Any other empty or non-entry lines will be ignored by my script anyway.

I need explanation for the following lines of code.
Code:
## abort execution if $tweaks not found
if [ ! -e $tweaks ]
then
    ui_print "ERROR: Personal file not found. No changes were made."
    ui_print "Script aborted. Check file path and flash again."
    exit 0
fi

## read only lines matching any valid entry pattern (someVAR=someVAL), e.g.
## net.bt.name=Android, omni.device=n7100, url.legal=http://www ...
sed '/.*=.*/!d' $tweak > /tmp/tweak.prop
tweaks=/tmp/tweak.prop
You are giving a condition loop without even declaring the variable "tweaks" at first. You have declared only after the loop ends. Then that means, the code in the loop never executes. I think this is a small mistake you did with the code. Make sure you correct those.

But else, a great work!! :good: :good:
You're right. It's a typo, I'm correcting it now. Thanks for your advice.

Sorry, but stick to one variable, "tweak", or "tweaks".

Otherwise, its a very simple, yet efficient algorithm. :good:
I use a second buffer file that is a cleaned version of the original one. If I find a smarter way, I will.

oguh

Nov 26, 2008
Lisboa
I was searching for something like this for ages.

But i have a nob question! lol

I need to create a text file with all the lines i want to add to my built.prop file, so where I put the text file? And i have to give a certain name to that file or any name will do?

Hugo

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
I need to create a text file with all the lines i want to add to my built.prop file, so where I put the text file? And i have to give a certain name to that file or any name will do?
My script searches for a file called tweak.prop located at your internal storage (storage/emulated/0/tweak.prop or sdcard/tweak.prop or sdcard/0/tweak.prop), but you can freely change the line
PHP:
to any path you want your personal file to be.

oguh

Nov 26, 2008
Lisboa
My script searches for a file called tweak.prop located at your internal storage (storage/emulated/0/tweak.prop or sdcard/tweak.prop or sdcard/0/tweak.prop), but you can freely change the line
PHP:
to any path you want your personal file to be.

Thx for the quick response, and for your great work.

hugo

bnbagiz

Nov 27, 2011
Sorry but i don't get it.
i need to create a txt file called tweak.prop and place it where i want, for example /sdcard/tweak.prop
after extracting the tweakprop-0.3.zip for editing the line /tmp/tweakprop.sh

Code:
tweak=/sdcard/tweak.prop

zipping meta-inf and tmp folder and finally flashing this zip.. am i doing something wrong ?
because it takes no changes.

got this line in tweak.prop at /sdcard/tweak.prop

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=400

sorry, i really dont get it.

Last edited:

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
Sorry but i don't get it.
i need to create a txt file called tweak.prop and place it where i want, for example /sdcard/tweak.prop
after extracting the tweakprop-0.3.zip for editing the line /tmp/tweakprop.sh

Code:
tweak=/sdcard/tweak.prop
zipping meta-inf and tmp folder and finally flashing this zip.. am i doing something wrong ?
because it takes no changes.
As my script already shows, changing the path to /sdcard/0/tweak.prop again should do the trick.

Last edited:

sauron82

Jun 12, 2012
Toronto
I just want to change my DPI with this. What do I need to change in your default tweak.prop to be able to do that?

Click thanks if I helped you.
Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium mobile app

bnbagiz

Nov 27, 2011
Code:
As my script already shows, changing the path to /sdcard/0/tweak.prop again should do the trick.

did not work ! :/ you mean changing the path for the tweak.prop in the unzipped tweakprop.sh in /tmp/, aren't you ?

Code:
build=/system/build.prop

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

I just want to change my DPI with this. What do I need to change in your default tweak.prop to be able to do that?

that is what i am trying to do
you need to change the line

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density="value you like to have, i.e. 400"

Last edited:

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
Code:
did not work ! :/ you mean changing the path for the tweak.prop in the unzipped tweakprop.sh in /tmp/, aren't you ?

Code:
build=/system/build.prop

Yes, that's what I meant. Then just try any other path. I guess the internal storage's path is a device specific thing. Which device do you? I would try locating your personal file at /system as this path exists on all devices/ROMs.

bnbagiz

Nov 27, 2011
Yes, that's what I meant. Then just try any other path. I guess the internal storage's path is a device specific thing. Which device do you? I would try locating your personal file at /system as this path exists on all devices/ROMs.

I am using a LG G2 Intern. D802
PAC-Man ROM (but thing thats irrelevant)
so if i place my tweak.prop in /system/ i need to edit the path in tweakprop.sh right ?

edit:
personal file is in /system/tweak.prop
editting tweakprop.sh line to
/system/tweak.prop
does not work :( don't get it .. sounds so simple, actually it is, but i don't know what i am doing wrong :(

Last edited:

sauron82

Jun 12, 2012
Toronto
that is what i am trying to do you need to change the line

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density="value you like to have, i.e. 400"

I know that, but where do I put it in the provided tweak.prop? What do I remove from the provided tweak.prop so that's the only change? I really don't know what any of this code actually means. Thanks to the OP for providing this, but instructions aren't very clear.

kl3

Sep 9, 2013
edit:
/system/tweak.prop
does not work :( don't get it .. sounds so simple, actually it is, but i don't know what i am doing wrong :(
Hm.. Which recovery? Maybe it's a problem with the updater-script doesn't get executed correctly. Sadly, I have no possibilities to test those scenarios.

I know that, but where do I put it in the provided tweak.prop? What do I remove from the provided tweak.prop so that's the only change? I really don't know what any of this code actually means. Thanks to the OP for providing this, but instructions aren't very clear.
I didn't provide any personal file. If you only want to change this line, create a file called tweak.prop containing only this line and place it right on your internal storage.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sauron82

my95z34

Apr 18, 2007
Wayne MI
I am using a LG G2 Intern. D802
PAC-Man ROM (but thing thats irrelevant)
so if i place my tweak.prop in /system/ i need to edit the path in tweakprop.sh right ?

edit:
/system/tweak.prop

If you put it in /system/ it'll get erased when you flash a new nightly anyways, as most .zip scripts wipe the /system partition... So... it would be best to keep it on the SD card.

Reactions: kl3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey,

since I'm flashing nightlies on a regular basis and also want to use my own custom /system/build.prop file, there are a few ways to accomplish both things as easy as possible:

Backing up /system/build.prop through a script in /system/addon.d
    Flashing my own file using a zip after every update
    Restoring previous build.prop using a Editor app and reboot
    Manually change or add every desired entry and reboot

For most of you one of these ways should absolutely do the trick, but my problem was either things like build version, date, etc. got stuck at my custom file's one or I had to reboot after manually updating it, which got really annoying after several times.

So I decided to create my own flashable zip which works as follows:

Somewhere on the device is a simple text file in which are all those entries that shall be changed,added to or removed from /system/build.prop (In my case it's /sdcard/tweak.prop)
    After mounting /system and /data (not if they are already) and setting write permissions to /system/build.prop the zip extracts a shell script to /tmp/tweakprop.sh
    It This script scans the text file (aborts if not found) and looks for changed, new or unwanted entries in /system/build.prop in order to apply them. Changed entries will be overridden, new ones will be added, unwanted get removed and entries existing in /system/build.prop but not in your personal file will be ignored
    When tweaking is done, it just removes /tmp/tweakprop.sh and unmounts /system and /data (only if they weren't mounted before) and reverts /system/build.prop's permissions to rw-r--r--

-> (See content of example.txt for more detailed examples and syntax!)

Using this method, you can not only forget about manually updating versions and/or lame reboots after updates for changes to take effect, but also edit your personal text file at any time without root rights beeing required. Once set up to be flashed after every update, your /system/build.prop is always tweaked as you wish and looks like a stock one (ROM version, etc. under About Phone).

The zip flashes well on all recoveries. Make sure your tweak.prop file ends with an empty line, otherwise the last line will be ignored!

I hope some of you can use this zip, it's free to modify. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

This project has been moved to a git repo at https://notabug.org/kl3/tweakprop. Please refer to it in the future to get updates as this is much easier for me to maintain. Upcoming changelog can be found here.
    Changelog

Changelog
    version 0.1:

• initial release

version 0.2:

• ignore lines in personal file not matching a valid entry pattern (someVAR=someVAL) to not mess up /system/build.prop and support personal structuring inside the file like "# media tweaks #", "# dalvik section #", etc.
    • code cleaned up

version 0.2.1:

• typo fixed in line 24 of tweakprop.sh so the if-statement asks for the correct file (thanks to the_pirate_predator)

version 0.3:

• changed the while-loop to get it's input directly from sed, which makes a second buffer file obsolete

version 0.3.5:

• example.txt provided as tweak.prop template
    • ignore lines beginning with # or being empty

version 0.4:

• instead of a fixed path, the personal file gets searched on internal storage (file name can be set in the script) so you can put your file anywhere - no more problems with /sdcard/ or /sdcard/0/ on different devices
    • personal file must not be empty, otherwise script aborts#
    • only override really different entry values in order to prevent "... value of someVAR overridden" spam in recovery log

version 0.4.5:

• fixed last line of personal file being ignored due to deleting all empty lines before
    • speed up search for personal file, now looking on internal storage and even on external SD card if nothing was found before (ext. SD neither gets checked if present, nor mounted or unmounted, just trying to search on it silently)

version 0.4.5a:

• same as 0.4.5a, but personal file is inside the zip and gets extracted to /tmp/tweak.prop, no need to have one on the internal storage

version 0.4.6(a):

• output not shown in TWRP fixed, now works as it should

version 0.5:

• code cleanup: everything's now in the update-binary, resulting in much less code and faster execution time
    • output to recovery should now work on all device-recovery combinations

version 0.5.1:

• lines beginning with ! will be removed globally
    • little code-cleanup

version 0.5.2
    :

• lines beginning with @ will append the string after | to values of existent entries
    • slight changes in code structure

version 0.5.3
    :

• lines beginning with $ will change the value to the string after | only if the entry already exists, hence $telephony.lteCdmaDevice|1 is nothing but a more explicit approach of telephony.lteCdmaDevice=1, as the first one will only make changes but no new entries

version 0.5.4
    :

• the build.prop file can now be backed up before editing using a BACKUP= line, see example.txt for details
    • tiny bug fixed

version 0.5.4a
    :

• tweak.prop file (example.txt) is included, no personal file on your device's storage is used. Edit the zip's content before flashing!

version 0.5.9(a)
    :

• Error handling fixed, script properly exits now if anything failes and won't make further changes
    • More verbose output
    • Date and tweak.prop version added to backup files to keep track of them
    • Special characters like / are now escaped and handled correctly by sed
    • Slight changes in coding style as it's good practise
    Well, this was way easier than I thought at first glance, so why not supporting xda folks instead of gaming, right? :D

Version 0.5.3 was released, just a minor syntax case added for fixing problems that might occour when flashing the same tweak.prop file on different devices. See the changelog for more infos!

As usual:
    55132479.jpg
    Thanks for your great feedback, guys! Finally it should really work, I found some typos inside the sed-commands breaking the syntax. Version 0.5.1 is reuploaded again. :eek:

If you like my work, please share it, name it in your signature or donate some cents - every support is highly appreciated!

Maybe an additional app to easily edit your tweak.prop file, toggle adding/removing/overriding lines and apply changes would be nice to have? Would do you think?
    Hi k,

I remember this was something me and Patrics were playing around with for ROMCleaner before life got in the way :(

Good work, I love little scripts like this and will be sure to play around with it on my next flash.

I have some suggestions if thats ok?

Does the answer file have to have the .prop extension?

We found it was a lot easier for users to use a standard .txt file rather than 'fiddle' with a different extension.

I know it sounds like a little thing but you'll be surprised at how many dont...

Can you make the script ignore anything in the file answer file preceded with a #?

If so you can make a sample file for complete novice users to use and also have the ability to quickly enable/disable edits.

Something like:

Code:
    #   !!!ALWAYS USE NOTEPAD++ WHEN EDITING THIS FILE!!!
    #
    #        ===============================================
    #        |                                             |
    #        |         Dynamic build.prop Editor           |
    #        |                     by                      |
    #        |                 klenamenis                  |
    #        |                                             |
    #        ===============================================
    #
    #        For help and support, please visit my thread:
    #
    #			http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2664332
    #
    #   !!!ALWAYS USE NOTEPAD++ WHEN EDITING THIS FILE!!!
    #
    #
    #==========================================================================================================================
    #
    #	Add your custom build.prop entries to this file to have them automatically
    #	applied to your current build.prop when flashing a new ROM.
    #
    #	After flashing your ROM flash the tweakprop.zip and edits will be applied.
    #
    #	Eg:
    #
    #	To enable an edit:
    #
    #	ro.sf.lcd_density="400"
    #
    #	To disable an edit, precede the line with a hash symbol (#):
    #
    #	#ro.sf.lcd_density="400"
    #
    #==========================================================================================================================
    #
    #	!!! EDITS GO BELOW !!!
    #

You could also go more adanced and make the .sh dynamic by having some asserts in the updater-script look for the answer file in predefined locations etc

You can do a lot with scripts like these, just which I had more knowledge of nix scripting :(