Change Sensation display (LCD) by One S display (AMOLED)

Search This thread

danirebollo

Jan 1, 2012
Madrid
Hello,
I like Sensation but screen consumption seems high (as in all phones)...
I saw that HTC One S has the same resolution and the same size screen as the Sensation, but AMOLED.

Anyone know which pinouts have each screen module?
Because they are similar phones, maybe have same screens (pinouts).
If not i whould make small changes (if pinout are same but in different order).
I hope display driver (chipset) are included in the LCD module, not in the motherboard ...

I think about buy HTC One S screen on ebay when available (now dont have) and try to change it ...

(im not sure about sub-forum of this post... y think "sensation accesories" fits better than Q&A because Q&A posts are doubts about software, not hardware... if another sub-forum are good please move to them..)

Reactions: andreasyeah

danirebollo

Jan 1, 2012
Madrid
because different voltages and currents of the tft screen i need driver/chipset in screen board.
If driver are in screen board, flex cable that connect to motherboard takes digital signal bus and may be the same in both screens.

For example: there are many laptop screens that uses different lcd panels (with different control and backlight voltages), but all of them have same connection: dvi mod (now).

xdviper

Jan 5, 2009
This is a good idea, if this works. I'll be down to actually do the mod as well.

totalundone

Jan 21, 2009
Just to add the complexities that danirebollo mentioned, another big issue is that the mainboard might be a totally different layout. You might have to do a custom cable. Also, the thickness/thinness of the panel might be an issue.

IMHO, it would be cheaper to sell your Sensation and purchase a One S instead of modifying & purchasing a new panel.

tsekh501

Aug 14, 2009
90% of phone screens are not compatible with each other. If you find two that do, it's a coincident rather than the norm. And if I were to go through so much trouble as to source a replacement qHD Super AMOLED screen, which I'm sure won't be cheap to being with, I'd just get a new phone.

myk714

Jan 9, 2011
if that is possible, count me in, ive bin looking into it ever since i switched over from the samsung vibrant, but never really made any brake throughs

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
Just to add the complexities that danirebollo mentioned, another big issue is that the mainboard might be a totally different layout. You might have to do a custom cable. Also, the thickness/thinness of the panel might be an issue.

IMHO, it would be cheaper to sell your Sensation and purchase a One S instead of modifying & purchasing a new panel.

Agreed, I tried to upgrade the SoC by putting my R1 engine in it last night, and would you believe it, it didn't fit. Unbelievable. I wrote HTC a very strong letter of complaint ; )

Sorry, it's that time of the day here in the UK where my silly side rears its head.

Would be a good mod if it worked but I doubt it very much for the reasons mentioned, plus, is the didgitiser bonded to the screen in this new generation of HTC phones?

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
Hello,
I saw that HTC One S has the same resolution and the same size screen as the Sensation, but AMOLED.

I hope display driver (chipset) are included in the LCD module, not in the motherboard ...

I think about buy HTC One S screen on ebay when available (now dont have) and try to change it ...

(im not sure about sub-forum of this post... y think "sensation accesories" fits better than Q&A because Q&A posts are doubts about software, not hardware... if another sub-forum are good please move to them..)
Well as far as I know, the only way to change the screen on one of these is to change the entire motherboard with it, I found this out at somewhere is the desire thread because many of he desire phones had smiled screens but then Samsung couldn't produce them fast enough and switched it for slcd but people wanted amoled so they swapped it all. Maybe if we asked HTC about being able to swap the screens ( yes it sounds stupid bit what else can we do?). Although the chances are amazingly thin we could request it from them that if you send the phone with them align with the cost of the amoled screen, they should replace it or even ****ing tell us how or if it can be friggin done. Power comes through numbers.....

danirebollo

Jan 1, 2012
Madrid
Agreed, I tried to upgrade the SoC by putting my R1 engine in it last night, and would you believe it, it didn't fit. Unbelievable. I wrote HTC a very strong letter of complaint ; )

Sorry, it's that time of the day here in the UK where my silly side rears its head.

Would be a good mod if it worked but I doubt it very much for the reasons mentioned, plus, is the didgitiser bonded to the screen in this new generation of HTC phones?

lol?? why sooo sarcasm??
some phones have same lcd screen (no digitizer), it hasnt rare idea... the only problem was different tecnology (LCD->OLED) but normally the only important was control bus, i2c, (i dont think these screens need this bus), and video data...
i dont know now if it is possible until i have both pinouts.

linkmaster_6

Feb 26, 2009
The other problem I would think is that the touch screen driver wouldn't work with the new screen

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
touch screen are independient. it hasnt change. i ONLY try to change lcd panel

I have spoken to my manager regarding this and unfortunately we cannot advise any customer to change there device specification or hardware as this will void the warranty of the handset. I then went on to ask if our repair centre can perform this, unfortunately we cannot request this as this then support customization of the devices which is against the device terms and conditions..

I do apologise about this however we are unable to perform this request.
This is what I got from HTC asking if:
a) if it could be done.
b) if they could do it for us if we payed.
So I'm guessing somebody will have to try it on their own first. GOOD LUCK and God's speed.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA

Last edited:

_andrea_

Jan 21, 2011
Prato
touch screen are independient. it hasnt change. i ONLY try to change lcd panel

Another problem,
I upgraded manually a Nexus S i9023 (slcd, like sensation) with android 4.0.3 leaked pakage in december. This package was made for i9020 (super amoled version): Android run beautifully but when you go into recovery you can't see anything (if you use a very bright light you can barely see the text of the recovery) cause it has drivers for amoled screen.
I suppose that if the screen change is possible you could also have problems to see recovery that is made with normal sensation's screen driver, imho.

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK
Another problem,
I upgraded manually a Nexus S i9023 (slcd, like sensation) with android 4.0.3 leaked pakage in december. This package was made for i9020 (super amoled version): Android run beautifully but when you go into recovery you can't see anything (if you use a very bright light you can barely see the text of the recovery) cause it has drivers for amoled screen.
I suppose that if the screen change is possible you could also have problems to see recovery that is made with normal sensation's screen driver, imho.

We need some experts on this but HTC won't help :(

BurnRubber90

May 1, 2011
Guayaquil
If this ever works, it will end like Motorola's Cliq multi touch patch. While it might work, the screen voltage sensors won't be calibrate correctly and will end burning the screen (if you don't believe me Google it). The same could happen to the screen in general, with wrong voltage its going to break.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You guys are crazy. I'm going to love being on these forums when I get my sensation.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Hello,

Actually another problem could be that if you notice the four ui buttons are attached to the screen and the one s has three so it would end up in different places etc and probably not work.