[Q] Fastboot cannot find device (Ubuntu/Win7)

Search This thread

neutrino37

Oct 9, 2013
Ok, I *have* searched the forums and googled this, but none of the standard solutions seem to work.

I have the Verizon HTC One and successfully ran the rumrunner S-OFF (root, unlocked, etc). Now I want to flash a recovery using fastboot, but no matter what I do, I cannot get "fastboot devices" to show anything (or I get <waiting for device> if I try anything else with fastboot). ADB works fine.

On Ubuntu 11.10:
I downloaded the back-ported android-tools (apt-get install android-tools-fastboot/adb from the ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 repository).
I tried fastboot as root, and I also tried with a udev rule (SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666").
adb works fine (I used it to reboot in fastboot-usb mode)
I tried different USB ports.

On Windows 7:
I tried both fastboot from the Android SDK and from the "Minimal Tools".
ADB works fine.
I un-installed and re-installed drivers as I plugged in and unplugged my phone into the USB ports.
Note that Windows 7 does complain about the drivers and says that the device is unplugged when it isn't. It seems to timeout when trying to install drivers from the internet
I tried installing and uninstalling HTC Sync, PDANet.

I would prefer if there is a way to make it work in Ubuntu so that I can eliminate the Windows drivers from the equation. Anything obvious that I missed? Does the version of fastboot matter?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Ok, I *have* searched the forums and googled this, but none of the standard solutions seem to work.

I have the Verizon HTC One and successfully ran the rumrunner S-OFF (root, unlocked, etc). Now I want to flash a recovery using fastboot, but no matter what I do, I cannot get "fastboot devices" to show anything (or I get <waiting for device> if I try anything else with fastboot). ADB works fine.

On Ubuntu 11.10:
I downloaded the back-ported android-tools (apt-get install android-tools-fastboot/adb from the ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 repository).
I tried fastboot as root, and I also tried with a udev rule (SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666").

On Windows 7:
ADB works fine.
I un-installed and re-installed drivers as I plugged in and unplugged my phone into the USB ports.
Note that Windows 7 does complain about the drivers and says that the device is unplugged when it isn't. It seems to timeout when trying to install drivers from the internet

I would prefer if there is a way to make it work in Ubuntu so that I can eliminate the Windows drivers from the equation. Anything obvious that I missed? Does the version of fastboot matter?

You can run a fastboot command from terminal emulator. If you can't find the commands, I will send them when I get to a computer tomorrow.

Sent from my One.

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
Do you have Fastboot turned off in system settings?
Unless I'm mistaken, you need to be sure that's switched off to utilize fastboot mode.
If it's already switched off and you are still having the issue, then ignore this post. :)

Reactions: neutrino37

kdj67f

Jan 23, 2008
Maple Valley
Unless I'm mistaken, you need to be sure that's switched off to utilize fastboot mode.
If it's already switched off and you are still having the issue, then ignore this post. :)

I have fastboot checked in settings and fastboot commands work... When I'm in fastboot mode. ;)

OP, I have made the simple mistake of not putting it in fastboot mode before. Were you booted into fastboot mode? I.E. reboot into bootloader, with fastboot selected hit the power button and ensure that it says deadbolt at the top? Something really simple that had tripped me up before!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BygSii

Jan 27, 2013
This is worth a shot, as I've read in previous post. Only plug your HTC One into a usb 2.0 instead of 3.0. What does this mean? If you look inside the usb on your computer and the color you see is blue? Don't use that one. For whatever reason, when using the commands, usb 3.0 doesn't work with the HTC One. If you only have the 3.0 ports... I have nothing.

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
This is worth a shot, as I've read in previous post. Only plug your HTC One into a usb 2.0 instead of 3.0. What does this mean? If you look inside the usb on your computer and the color you see is blue? Don't use that one. For whatever reason, when using the commands, usb 3.0 doesn't work with the HTC One. If you only have the 3.0 ports... I have nothing.

ADB works fine over USB 3.0 for any Android device if you have the proper drivers installed. If you have a mixture of 2.0 and 3.0 ports, as I do, use the 2.0, as it is more reliable, though slower. I'm using ADB on my device via USB 3.0 as I type this, using Windows 7 x64.

If your motherboard has an Intel chipset, you can try this method to get Fastboot working over USB 3.0, just disregard the download links about making it work on Windows 8, as the drivers were designed for Windows 7. My motherboard has an Asmedia USB 3.0 controller, and I am unable to use the Intel drivers, and thus unable to use Fastboot over USB 3.0, which isn't really a problem for me, as I also have the USB 2.0 ports.

Last edited:

neutrino37

Oct 9, 2013
You can run a fastboot command from terminal emulator. If you can't find the commands, I will send them when I get to a computer tomorrow.

Sent from my One.

Oh, you mean directly on the phone? Presumably one could do it from "adb shell" as well? I would be interested to know what the commands are, since typing fastboot in the terminal emulator is not recognized.

[edit]
I found this in the forums:
Code:
su
flash_image recovery path_to_recovery_image.img

I assume that is what you meant.

Last edited:

neutrino37

Oct 9, 2013
I have fastboot checked in settings and fastboot commands work... When I'm in fastboot mode. ;)

OP, I have made the simple mistake of not putting it in fastboot mode before. Were you booted into fastboot mode? I.E. reboot into bootloader, with fastboot selected hit the power button and ensure that it says deadbolt at the top? Something really simple that had tripped me up before!

So just to be patently clear. To boot into fastboot, I reboot into the bootloader with USB attached, select "fastboot", then it says "fastboot USB" and I select "Reboot", correct? I have never noticed the word "deadbolt". Is there a way to check on the phone that I've booted into fastboot?

I have been using USB 2 ports (tried different ones).
I have fast boot unchecked in my settings.

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
So just to be patently clear. To boot into fastboot, I reboot into the bootloader with USB attached, select "fastboot", then it says "fastboot USB" and I select "Reboot", correct? I have never noticed the word "deadbolt". Is there a way to check on the phone that I've booted into fastboot?

Don't click reboot once your phone says "Fastboot USB". That's where you're going wrong.

You say that ADB works on occasion. Trying downloading the newest drivers from this thread. Plug your phone in and type "adb devices". If it displays your phone's serial number and says "device" next to it, you're doing fine. Then type "adb reboot bootloader". It will bring you to where you are able to type fastboot commands. Type "fastboot devices". If it shows your device's serial number and says "fastboot" next to it, then your Fastboot commands will work properly.

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Oh, you mean directly on the phone? Presumably one could do it from "adb shell" as well? I would be interested to know what the commands are, since typing fastboot in the terminal emulator is not recognized.

[edit]
I found this in the forums:
Code:
su
flash_image recovery path_to_recovery_image.img

I assume that is what you meant.

Open a terminal emulator on your phone then get root access:
su
After that, cd to the location of the .img file: (i.e. if it was on the root of the sd card then...)
cd /sdcard/
Finally, flash the image to the recovery partition:
dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 (not sure if this location will be different on this phone..someone else may want to chime in)
Then exit the terminal emulator and reboot.

neutrino37

Oct 9, 2013
Don't click reboot once your phone says "Fastboot USB". That's where you're going wrong.

You say that ADB works on occasion. Trying downloading the newest drivers from this thread. Plug your phone in and type "adb devices". If it displays your phone's serial number and says "device" next to it, you're doing fine. Then type "adb reboot bootloader". It will bring you to where you are able to type fastboot commands. Type "fastboot devices". If it shows your device's serial number and says "fastboot" next to it, then your Fastboot commands will work properly.

Thanks, not clicking the reboot made it work with fastboot (even in Win7!). I was confused by the statements about rebooting "into fastboot" and assuming that once it displayed "fastboot USB" I should reboot. Took me 2 seconds to install TWRP once this PEBKAC was resolved :).

I would've tried the dd option from the terminal, but I'm glad I didn't have to (have used that wrong once on a Linux system and it was not pleasant!).

Reactions: kdj67f

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Commands

Sent from my One.

Hi, I have been trying to debrick my tp and I've posted in forums asking basically this question.. seems it goes fine till failed to install/find Fastboot.. would you send me the command? thanks..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

On Ubuntu 11.10:

On Windows 7:
    ADB works fine.

Sent from my One.