[ROM for hurricane]WM® 6.5 Standard CE OS 5.2.21911 Build 21911

Search This thread

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
There is nothing that you should thank me for - I have done nothing here, you supplied the WM65 link.

Cooking and adding a language is not so easy if you want to do it right. The Hurricane suffers from the fact that the modules are not well remappable as no native CE 5.x (WM5 and up) support ever existed for that device (to my knowledge). So many of the OEM modules can not be re-mapped by normal kitchen.
Several parts of adding a language to a ROM however requires the cooking process - without it will be very rough and not cover even basic needs. You could take a bi-lingual ROM and replace the "other" language with the *.mui.* of the language you miss. The versions of these files should be from the same code-branch as the original files or it may not work. It would need some renaming copying and renaming of files.
This will however not change anything in the "Settings" menu. For that purpose you need to populate the relevant data into the database which is done with .provxml files at the cold boot. This in turn means that must cook (rebuild the ROM).

There is no kitchen available for the Hurricane, but I am in the process of releasing one - with WM6 however only. It will be a very basic old style (batchfile) kitchen that only covers the selection of optional packages and re-build process of the OS. There is no dump and no XIP porting, but neither of both are needed for the usual cooking anyway. Look up my thread on the Kitchen - nobody so far has shown interest in having one (despite many reads).

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
You will not have fun in translating that ROM. It misses all the packaging information that is needed for rebuilding a ROM. You may have noticed the *.dsm and *.rgu files in many ROMs (at least in all shipped ROMs). These define the properties of the SW packages with regard to building the registry and assembling the files and modules to a ready ROM.
It still IS possible to do that still but you cannot have easy porting of packages from other ROMs as you are stuck with the *.hv files there.

With the kitchen I will also publish an article on all the special things that you need to understand for cooking. It will not go in much detail but it will only outline the architectural dependencies of the things you come across when you wish to cook. This is something I always missed (despite Da_G delivers a lot of insight) as a summary format. From there you can dig deeper yourself in the XDA world and all around the WWW.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
You better port another WM6.5 ROM to the Hurricane. You can use any WM6.5 Standard ROM that can be dumped to packages and replace the SYS folder from the WM6 Hurricane as a start.
XIP porting could also be done, but I doubt (no experience or proof though) that this is needed for the Hurricane. As the nk.exe is WM6 - and has to stay so - there is nothing to gain by porting the XIP imho.

Kitchen is about ready - will publish it this week :)

Reactions: sniper304

sniper304

Feb 5, 2011
Excellent, Thank you! To begin, I want to try to port WM 6.1!!!
Waiting for the kitchen!Thanks!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is not ready for release yet (maybe a week) - please ask for it in the other thread - it does not belong here.
    You better port another WM6.5 ROM to the Hurricane. You can use any WM6.5 Standard ROM that can be dumped to packages and replace the SYS folder from the WM6 Hurricane as a start.
    XIP porting could also be done, but I doubt (no experience or proof though) that this is needed for the Hurricane. As the nk.exe is WM6 - and has to stay so - there is nothing to gain by porting the XIP imho.

Kitchen is about ready - will publish it this week :)