Screen on time

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
It's amazing how much we actually use our phones in a given day, especially when we watch "videos"! Rate this thread to express how many hours of screen-on time you can get on the Sony Xperia XZ Premium before depleting the battery.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

karrouma

Jun 27, 2013
Got 6hrs @ 50%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171120-213124.jpg
    Screenshot_20171120-213124.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 2,874
  • Screenshot_20171120-213116.jpg
    Screenshot_20171120-213116.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 2,846

karrouma

Jun 27, 2013
that is amazing !!!
how did you reached this time?

please answer these
-screen brightness
-stamina use or not
-airplane mode
-how was your usage ( heavy or medium or ....)
-do you charge your phone with fast charge or not ?

Screen brightness @40%
No stamina
Wifi and mobile data are on
Using heavy some time and medium usage
I used original charger in the box
Rooted with storm fix

Reactions: ashkan.t

ashkan.t

May 3, 2014
Screen brightness @40%
No stamina
Rooted with storm fix
(Rooted with storm fix)
so that is the reason for your high screen time :)
what is your charger model ? UCH12 ?
if it is uch12 so you are using fast charge

Saadkhalid786

May 9, 2017
im getting 8-9 hours with 3-3.5 hours of asphalt 8 gameplay on high graphics, one or two movies on youtube, full low brightness (35% on movies in YT), heavy facebook usage. and a lot of other things like video editing, whats, HG,G+ etc etc.
uninstalled all useless system and user apps. added play services in doze mode. reduced background activity and background data on all user and system apps.
using 1890x3360 resolution (to fix touch issues).

Reactions: ashkan.t

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Im on oreo (.51) with storms DRM Fix/kernel, I used serajrs debloat script to get rid of all the useless apps, 8.45 hours with 13% left, this phone is a beast! Mobile data all day, stamina on performance, some YouTube, lots of browsing, telegram msg's, couldnt ask for better.

dieselhazza

Oct 5, 2015
So are you guys getting these insane screen on times due to root? If so what are you doing to achieve this?
If not rooted what are you doing to get these kind of screen on times

SNOOPLAYAN

Oct 25, 2017
So are you guys getting these insane screen on times due to root? If so what are you doing to achieve this?

Hi,

My device isn't rooted and this is what I do to get the most out of the battery...

1. I try to never allow the battery to get hot in order to prolong its excellent performance. If you're charging your phone, don't run heavy draining apps as this will greatly increase the battery's temperature. When charging my phone, I usually set stamina mode to always on and if I'm not expecting important phone calls I sometimes activate airplane mode. If you want to make and receive calls just turn off Bluetooth, wife, data and GPS while the phone is plugged in to keep the battery temperature down.

2. I used to love the Juice Defender app which was able to automatically turn off Wife/Data whenever the screen is off but sadly it hasn't been updated in so many years. Now I just manually turn off WiFi and Data whenever the phone is not in use.

3. If you're watching an offline film or reading a book, turn off your WiFi and Data. Again, if you're not looking to make calls activate Airplane Mode as this tends to lessen the battery drain especially when watching 4k movies.

4. Delete any apps that you don't use. Especially the power hungry apps!

5. I only tend to set brightness to the lowest setting when I'm in a very dark room. There's no point in always having it so low in broad daylight like a disorientated cave-dweller.

6. When you go to bed, activate stamina mode (if you want to save more juice then also activate Airplane Mode) and just make sure that it won't affect your alarm in the morning. ?

That's pretty much it for me I guess. Rooting voids the warranty and that's not something I want to do so I'm happy with my current usage and performance.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171129-142559.jpg
    Screenshot_20171129-142559.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 583
  • Screenshot_20171129-142611.jpg
    Screenshot_20171129-142611.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 580
  • Screenshot_20171129-142620.jpg
    Screenshot_20171129-142620.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 555
  • Screenshot_20171129-142638.jpg
    Screenshot_20171129-142638.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 532
Reactions: Muhammad amine

alexs784

May 30, 2014
Hi,

My device isn't rooted and this is what I do to get the most out of the battery...

1. I try to never allow the battery to get hot in order to prolong its excellent performance. If you're charging your phone, don't run heavy draining apps as this will greatly increase the battery's temperature. When charging my phone, I usually set stamina mode to always on and if I'm not expecting important phone calls I sometimes activate airplane mode. If you want to make and receive calls just turn off Bluetooth, wife, data and GPS while the phone is plugged in to keep the battery temperature down.

2. I used to love the Juice Defender app which was able to automatically turn off Wife/Data whenever the screen is off but sadly it hasn't been updated in so many years. Now I just manually turn off WiFi and Data whenever the phone is not in use.

3. If you're watching an offline film or reading a book, turn off your WiFi and Data. Again, if you're not looking to make calls activate Airplane Mode as this tends to lessen the battery drain especially when watching 4k movies.

5. I only tend to set brightness to the lowest setting when I'm in a very dark room. There's no point in always having it so low in broad daylight like a disorientated cave-dweller.

6. When you go to bed, activate stamina mode (if you want to save more juice then also activate Airplane Mode) and just make sure that it won't affect your alarm in the morning.

That's pretty much it for me I guess. Rooting voids the warranty and that's not something I want to do so I'm happy with my current usage and performance.

Hope this helps!

You can also try to turn off the phone, this will bring excellent battery life :cyclops:
Just kidding :silly:

By the way, root seems to improve a lot the phone, but I have Amazon warranty and would be a shame to lose it for rooting the phone :(

Reactions: hanifh

SNOOPLAYAN

Oct 25, 2017
You can also try to turn off the phone, this will bring excellent battery life :cyclops:

By the way, root seems to improve a lot the phone, but I have Amazon warranty and would be a shame to lose it for rooting the phone :(

Hahahahaahahhaha

Yes that's one of the reasons why I'm not too keen on rooting. Rooting the device will also cause some issues that currently have no fix available so I'm good for now.

I can capture excellent stills and beautiful 4k footage. I get around 9-10 hours of screen on time with moderate to heavy use. Everything works as it should so I'm very happy with that. :D

karrouma

Jun 27, 2013
3.5 hrs loosing 40%
I think for normal daily usage xzp got between 7-8 hrs

The seco d day reached 9hrs+@4% of battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171130-212510.jpg
    Screenshot_20171130-212510.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Screenshot_20171130-212420.jpg
    Screenshot_20171130-212420.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Screenshot_20171201-225848.jpg
    Screenshot_20171201-225848.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 334
  • Screenshot_20171201-214453.jpg
    Screenshot_20171201-214453.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Well, by my own experience, going out to work at 7:00, getting home at about 18:30 (plus commuting, as I was doing it in the bus too), I was reading an EPUB the whole day (Moon Reader+), black background with white text, the app prevents the screen from turning off, and I hardly had any reason besides lunch break to turn it off, I noticed I had forgotten the cable at the end of lunch break and took out brightness to about 35%, enough to be readable for me, it was on auto until them, no stamina mode either.

I got home with about 40% of battery left. I was quite surprised with my results.

karrouma

Jun 27, 2013
Can get more than 20 hrs of SOT now

Look @The screenshoti taked after long day
5.5 hrs of SOT and 47% battery remaning

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171216-235519.jpg
    Screenshot_20171216-235519.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 751
  • Screenshot_20171216-235535.jpg
    Screenshot_20171216-235535.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 760
  • Screenshot_20171216-235542.jpg
    Screenshot_20171216-235542.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 740
  • Screenshot_20171216-235527.jpg
    Screenshot_20171216-235527.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 713

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
I get an average of 6 1/2 hours SOT with heavy gaming and brightness set to around 30%

Otherwise 2-3 days standby with medium to little use. I am impressed.

Ps. When gaming, is the screen running in 1080P or 4k?? How can we tell?

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London

Thanks for clearing that. This means that we only get 4k when viewing 4k movies? However, by default we are getting 1080p which includes gaming.

It would be nice if we could run games in 4k. Why have a 4k screen which is only running 1080P?

Same as buying a 4k TV/Monitor and gaming at 1080P. :crying:

At least we should have an option to change resolution like a PC when gaming, would make sense.Even gaming at 1440P would look amazing. Some games have visible jagged edges which would be eliminated if running at resolutions higher than 1080P...

Reactions: SNOOPLAYAN

saved-j

Mar 13, 2015
Sanya
Thanks for clearing that. This means that we only get 4k when viewing 4k movies? However, by default we are getting 1080p which includes gaming.

It would be nice if we could run games in 4k. Why have a 4k screen which is only running 1080P?

At least we should have an option to change resolution like a PC when gaming, would make sense.Even gaming at 1440P would look amazing. Some games have visible jagged edges which would be eliminated if running at resolutions higher than 1080P...

hey could you please us all how much you paid for the PC that lets enjoy 4k gaming? and how much room it takes.
I'm not trying to underestimate the power of Snapdragon 835, but you surely don't understand that even GTX 1080 doesn't play all the games flawlessly in 4K

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
hey could you please us all how much you paid for the PC that lets enjoy 4k gaming? and how much room it takes.
I'm not trying to underestimate the power of Snapdragon 835, but you surely don't understand that even GTX 1080 doesn't play all the games flawlessly in 4K

Then you must not heard of GTX 1080 TI?? 30% better performance than the standard GTX 1080. I am able to play any game fully maxed, ultra settings at 4k with an average of 80-100 fps thank you very much...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    that is amazing !!!
    how did you reached this time?

please answer these
    -screen brightness
    -stamina use or not
    -airplane mode
    -how was your usage ( heavy or medium or ....)
    -do you charge your phone with fast charge or not ?

Screen brightness @40%
    No stamina
    Rooted with storm fix
    im getting 8-9 hours with 3-3.5 hours of asphalt 8 gameplay on high graphics, one or two movies on youtube, full low brightness (35% on movies in YT), heavy facebook usage. and a lot of other things like video editing, whats, HG,G+ etc etc.
    uninstalled all useless system and user apps. added play services in doze mode. reduced background activity and background data on all user and system apps.
    using 1890x3360 resolution (to fix touch issues).

Hi,

6. When you go to bed, activate stamina mode (if you want to save more juice then also activate Airplane Mode) and just make sure that it won't affect your alarm in the morning. ?

Hope this helps!
    Hi,

6. When you go to bed, activate stamina mode (if you want to save more juice then also activate Airplane Mode) and just make sure that it won't affect your alarm in the morning.

Hope this helps!