[Q] RUU to 4.3 results in white HTC screen

Search This thread

nehpets11

Oct 17, 2008
Hi,
I see a few people have run into the endless white HTC boot screen problem and it seems the fix is to just run the RUU again - this isn't working for me. I came from 100% stock with the latest OTA and everything. I've applied the RUU more than 10 times at this point from different computers, it's always successful and the most frustrating part is that the RUU can read the proper version from my phone (it says "upgrade from 4.13.651.3 to 4.13.651.3").

I also tried to go back to 3.15.651.16 with the RUU, but it stops with an hboot incompatible error.

Any ideas?

om4

Mar 29, 2008
In recovery waiting to be flashed
Have you tried just rebooting phone when it gets stuck, I've had a few roms stick on splash and after a minute or so I just force a reboot. I know it sounds odd but that's what I've always done rather then reflash the rom and after a reboot or 2 it comes up. You can also try holding volume down on the splash, it forces the rom to boot in safe mode.

Sorry I thought you mean after ruu instead of during. You can try reinstalling htc drivers and connecting it in fastboot first, it will force windows to install the drivers that might otherwise not install. Also viperuu has been said to work with the new hboot.

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Hi,
I see a few people have run into the endless white HTC boot screen problem and it seems the fix is to just run the RUU again - this isn't working for me. I came from 100% stock with the latest OTA and everything. I've applied the RUU more than 10 times at this point from different computers, it's always successful and the most frustrating part is that the RUU can read the proper version from my phone (it says "upgrade from 4.13.651.3 to 4.13.651.3").

I also tried to go back to 3.15.651.16 with the RUU, but it stops with an hboot incompatible error.

Any ideas?
Have you tried running the update files as PJ75IMG.zip files from an external SD card? It'll require running the RUU .exe file until it opens to the first screen with the device icon on it. Then navigating to your OS temp folder (usually by clicking "Run" and typing %TEMP% to open the folder). Then you find the newest folder and inside one of them will be some rom_01 and rom_02 zip files. Those are what you need. Those can be renamed to PJ75IMG.zip, placed on external SD card and flashed through HBOOT. Hopefully doing them that way will get them to apply correctly.

nehpets11

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help!

Have you tried just rebooting phone when it gets stuck, I've had a few roms stick on splash and after a minute or so I just force a reboot. I know it sounds odd but that's what I've always done rather then reflash the rom and after a reboot or 2 it comes up. You can also try holding volume down on the splash, it forces the rom to boot in safe mode.

Sorry I thought you mean after ruu instead of during. You can try reinstalling htc drivers and connecting it in fastboot first, it will force windows to install the drivers that might otherwise not install. Also viperuu has been said to work with the new hboot.

You were correct, it was after the ruu runs successfully that the white HTC screen sticks. I tried the multiple reboots, but still no luck.

Have you tried running the update files as PJ75IMG.zip files from an external SD card? It'll require running the RUU .exe file until it opens to the first screen with the device icon on it. Then navigating to your OS temp folder (usually by clicking "Run" and typing %TEMP% to open the folder). Then you find the newest folder and inside one of them will be some rom_01 and rom_02 zip files. Those are what you need. Those can be renamed to PJ75IMG.zip, placed on external SD card and flashed through HBOOT. Hopefully doing them that way will get them to apply correctly.

I got the files, but sorry, I'm a little unsure of which one to rename to PJ75IMG.zip or what order to flash them in.

I also spoke with HTC support for a while, but that didn't really help other than them promising that the "Special Projects" team would call me in the next 7-10 days...

I was perfectly fine with it wiping my data as 99% of it is in the cloud anyway, but I certainly didn't expect the official update to put my phone into this state.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

You were correct, it was after the ruu runs successfully that the white HTC screen sticks. I tried the multiple reboots, but still no luck.

I got the files, but sorry, I'm a little unsure of which one to rename to PJ75IMG.zip or what order to flash them in.

I also spoke with HTC support for a while, but that didn't really help other than them promising that the "Special Projects" team would call me in the next 7-10 days...

I was perfectly fine with it wiping my data as 99% of it is in the cloud anyway, but I certainly didn't expect the official update to put my phone into this state.
They are numbered, aren't they? Do 01 first, then 02. They will both get flashed the exact same way.

nehpets11

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks! I was not aware of that trick. Doing that led me down the path of seeing one of the images was corrupt. From there I did what I should have started with, I downloaded the RUU from HTC again. I got a file with the same byte size but a different MD5 signature. This file took much longer to run and successfully updated my phone!

The winning MD5 for those keeping track at home was: c6ac16fcdd39818f43158329ebdad957

Shame on me for not trying this as one of the first items, but shame on HTC for not validating their own images before pushing the update to the phone.

Last edited:

gunfromsako

Apr 14, 2011
Des Moines
Thanks! I was not aware of that trick. Doing that led me down the path of seeing one of the images was corrupt. From there I did what I should have started with, I downloaded the RUU from HTC again. I got a file with the same byte size but a different MD5 signature. This file took much longer to run and successfully updated my phone!

The winning MD5 for those keeping track at home was: c6ac16fcdd39818f43158329ebdad957

Shame on me for not trying this as one of the first items, but shame on HTC for not validating their own images before pushing the update to the phone.

Well at least you got it to run...lol I have the same MD5 and it wont run past the first screen. All other RUU's i have on my pc run just fine so im at a loss.

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
OK, I just followed links thru 3 diff of capns threads. Isn't there still a way to change partitions (properly) just doing it as a PJ75 zip, or is PC now required? As my access to one is limited and sketchy. Sorry for not keeping up better, been trying to maintain 3 devices, work full time and parent. And keep up with game of thrones. Lol. Either way, my apologies for not being as current as I usually am, and thanks yo any who respond.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6

If you have both files, why would you need to run the RUU at all, for starting purposes? Couldn't you just run both PJ75 zips and have nothing to do with .exe/PC?
And what should flash first, the ROM or FW (and yes, I know, capn, they're numbered,...that's NOT the answer I'm looking for, I'm trying to find answer that actually means something, as I'm trying to make sure I understand this process.)

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
If you have both files, why would you need to run the RUU at all, for starting purposes? Couldn't you just run both PJ75 zips and have nothing to do with .exe/PC?
And what should flash first, the ROM or FW (and yes, I know, capn, they're numbered,...that's NOT the answer I'm looking for, I'm trying to find answer that actually means something, as I'm trying to make sure I understand this process.)

The purpose of running the RUU.exe is to extract the zip files. If you already have them, then you are correct, you have no need of running it.

I thought this was explained in my thread that has the firmware update, but maybe it isn't. The first zip is just the firmware which repartitions the device for the new layout, and the second zip is the actual ROM. The first zip and my firmware zip are essentially the same. That's why I have it listed as being required in order to flash the new format ROM.

gokart2

Sep 21, 2011
Detroit
Moto Z2 Force
Google Pixel 6

Been awhile with this device. Sold it via Swappa. Customer cannot connect to Sprint network. Found that after she tries activating it she'd needs to reflash the RUU via a bunch of reading. She doesn't have a Win PC. So, this is my option I guess. So after pulling the 2 ROM files via the RUU, rename the 01 file to PJ75IMG.zip, placed on external SD card and flash through HBOOT....what is the process exactly in hboot? I don't remember. Thought you booted to hboot and it automatically finds and flashes? Then....do you power down/reboot/can you access sd remotely while in hboot to rename 02 file to PJ75IMG.zip, and flash? Thanks for any input. It's hard cause I don't have the device.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Been awhile with this device. Sold it via Swappa. Customer cannot connect to Sprint network. Found that after she tries activating it she'd needs to reflash the RUU via a bunch of reading. She doesn't have a Win PC. So, this is my option I guess. So after pulling the 2 ROM files via the RUU, rename the 01 file to PJ75IMG.zip, placed on external SD card and flash through HBOOT....what is the process exactly in hboot? I don't remember. Thought you booted to hboot and it automatically finds and flashes? Then....do you power down/reboot/can you access sd remotely while in hboot to rename 02 file to PJ75IMG.zip, and flash? Thanks for any input. It's hard cause I don't have the device.
Once the phone gets to HBOOT, you have to press one of the Volume buttons to confirm the flash. Once the flash of the first zip is complete (and while the phone is still in HBOOT), you'll need to pop out the SD card and rename the second zip, replacing the first zip on the root of the SD card, and pop it back in (while still in HBOOT). Then press whatever volume key it says to reboot, while holding Volume Down, to get back into HBOOT to flash the second zip. Once that flash completes, you can press whatever volume key reboots the device and it should be back to full stock.

Reactions: gokart2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

They are numbered, aren't they? Do 01 first, then 02. They will both get flashed the exact same way.
    Hi,

Any ideas?

The purpose of running the RUU.exe is to extract the zip files. If you already have them, then you are correct, you have no need of running it.

I thought this was explained in my thread that has the firmware update, but maybe it isn't. The first zip is just the firmware which repartitions the device for the new layout, and the second zip is the actual ROM. The first zip and my firmware zip are essentially the same. That's why I have it listed as being required in order to flash the new format ROM.
    Hey, what's up, Scott? Yes, there are PJ75IMG.ZIPs floating around. I think that Yankees has a link in his thread. If you still have a hard time finding everything, I can upload mine and send you a PM.
    Once the phone gets to HBOOT, you have to press one of the Volume buttons to confirm the flash. Once the flash of the first zip is complete (and while the phone is still in HBOOT), you'll need to pop out the SD card and rename the second zip, replacing the first zip on the root of the SD card, and pop it back in (while still in HBOOT). Then press whatever volume key it says to reboot, while holding Volume Down, to get back into HBOOT to flash the second zip. Once that flash completes, you can press whatever volume key reboots the device and it should be back to full stock.