Search This thread

caifan

Jun 4, 2010
I saw this on sammobile as well...most likely this will close the current root loophole...will wait patiently until an awesome developer can create a rooted 4.4.4 rom.

The-Beast

Feb 18, 2013
Towel Root no longer works, I tried it after I updated...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-25-18-04-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-25-18-04-14.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,898
Last edited:

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
I actually have 4.4.4 rooted right now on my device but safestrap doesn't work properly now. It starts to load but then reboots into OS.

The first 4.4.4 rom I made would boot, but only had a black screen (kernel modules didn't match boot.img), then I tried the nj6 boot.img and got the warning about unauthorized kernel. So, I decided to try one more thing. I reflashed the pre-rooted 4.4.4 rom I made and then flashed all of the 4.4.4 firmware in Odin EXCEPT for the system partition. This allowed me to boot into my rooted nj6 4.4.4 rom.

YankInDaSouth

Oct 30, 2010
Sharpsburg, GA
I actually have 4.4.4 rooted right now on my device but safestrap doesn't work properly now. It starts to load but then reboots into OS.

The first 4.4.4 rom I made would boot, but only had a black screen (kernel modules didn't match boot.img), then I tried the nj6 boot.img and got the warning about unauthorized kernel. So, I decided to try one more thing. I reflashed the pre-rooted 4.4.4 rom I made and then flashed all of the 4.4.4 firmware in Odin EXCEPT for the system partition. This allowed me to boot into my rooted nj6 4.4.4 rom.

Ain't gonna lie ... a lot of that went right over my head; but I'm excited about it anyway LOL :good:

Reactions: nozzleman_85

DigitalGrl

Aug 4, 2012
How do I get it on my phones have 2 Note 3's in my house. It's not available on Kies or OTA in my Texas area. Not rooted phones.. or just wait some more?? Thanks:)

Last edited:

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
We're actually getting an update inline with other carriers? Anyone noticing any improvements? And do we have any idea when it'll push OTA?

The-Beast

Feb 18, 2013
We're actually getting an update inline with other carriers? Anyone noticing any improvements? And do we have any idea when it'll push OTA?

The only thing I have noticed since updating last night is, data speeds have dropped. Not sure if its the radios, or if its the network being bottle necked, but Its taking me forever to download apps and files from my google drive account.. :eek:

gypsy214

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, Tx

I was having the same issue when I tried to port Sprint 4.4.4 It would boot but I get black screen... Are you sure you flashed the 4.4.4 bootloader?
I would try to make a deodex 4.4.4 system flashable zip and flash and then right after it reboot to odin and flash the 4.4.4 kernel might work without flashing the bootloader and that way we have a working SS.

uberalbo

Oct 19, 2013
Kind of a newb to Note 3 firmware upgrades. I just downloaded the new NJ6 firmware from Sammobile. What's the best way to flash this?

joseph-

Mar 23, 2014
I was having the same issue when I tried to port Sprint 4.4.4 It would boot but I get black screen... Are you sure you flashed the 4.4.4 bootloader?
I would try to make a deodex 4.4.4 system flashable zip and flash and then right after it reboot to odin and flash the 4.4.4 kernel might work without flashing the bootloader and that way we have a working SS.

Can you upload please

allenjthomsen

Nov 17, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing Phone 2

Can you upload please

The only way to tell if it will work is to have someone flash just the system when its a flashable zip and then reboot to download and flash kernel via odin

gr8nole

Oct 9, 2010
Lynchburg, VA
I tried that and it didn't work. The NC4 bootloader won't let you use the NJ6 boot.img. It gives the unauthorized software message.

Reactions: gypsy214

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cleaned up drama.

Please don't go farming for donations for people/companies until the produce.

Kingo root IS PROVEN to have security concerns, by me. I reversed much of their software. I'm not going into it yet again, but it is very worrisome.

I'm really not a fan of root threads right now, please don't give me a reason to close this one.
    Not sure if this would work, but who knows...

So, many many many moons ago, back when I had the asus TF201, which was an amazing device save for the POS nand memory, I found a way to make it better by having it use the external SD card, which you could already get one back then that was better than the internal memory to do all the caching and what not. The problem isn't important, but rather the solution. What I did was unpack the kernel and make a tiny modification to the ramdisk in order to get it to run a certain script super early during boot, WAY sooner than init.d, way before most partitions get mounted, but after the BL checked that the different blocks were what they're expected to be. Then I repacked the kernel and to my knowledge, the device never knew any better that a modification had been made. The script ran with full root power because of where the change was made. In essence I had a second partition in the SD card and with the modification the kernel would mount stuff like /data/media/Android and /cache to the external SD. It was similar to the way SS and init.d works, but not quite the same.

I've never played around with the ramdisk on the note 3, tbh I'm not even sure if it can be unpacked and modified on the note 3. However, if it's there and can be unpacked and repacked, then with a small enough modification it should pass the BL check, and it should be possible to remount system to a different location after the BL check. Unfortunately, when I did it on the TF201, it took me a week of tweaking the timing on the boot order for the modification, which as I've said on another post I don't have atm since I have two people in my family recuperating from surgery.

Anyway, if the idea above works, at best, it would be possible for SS to be rebuilt to be initialized differently, at worst, people would have to flash their ROM to a separate partition in the SD card and as long as the SD card is in, then the kernel would mount the system partition to the the external SD card. Either way it should still pass the BL check because technically the system partition would be untouched.

EDIT: ramdisk is there and can be unpacked on the 4.4.4 kernel file previously uploaded. Definitely has plenty of goodies that can be hijacked, don't have time test it and my phone is not on 4.4.4
    Might be possible to hijack one of the init files to get root as long as the phone boots with repacked ramdisk.
    It looks like the latter... [emoji20] But you never know. As of right now it's looking like if you want root stay where you are or leave Samsung behind. I'm waiting to see if there's an official announcement for the Nexus by Verizon before making a move.
    It's not Samsung. .. it's Verizon and AT&T.. switch to sprint or t-mobile and your device is yours.

Sent from Cerj's Kickass Themed Tapatalk App on my Eye Candy Duece_Biggin's Rom.
    I have had zero issues downgrading the radio back to mje or nc4.