[Kernel][OC]Da_G's 1944MHz SGH-i957 LTE OC(Dec 20, 2011)

Search This thread

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Note: overclock kernel also includes the root script, so you can just flash that instead of both. The overclock should work without the modded libs, however there are various functions in the libs I patched out that override clock speed at certain times (such as when the input panel is open) - these are hardcoded to use lower speeds so hinder the actual overclock.

Also, thermal throttling can be bypassed by simply renaming /system/bin/thermald - but obviously you need to be mindful of heat output.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
So I went ahead and flashed over the kernel, but haven't pushed over the moded files yet though.

So after flashing, and and before using setcpu to set the new max speed, I noticed in cpuspy that the tab was spending a whole lot more time at the current max speed then with stock kernel, which hardly ever seemed to use the max speed.

Is this because the kernel is tweaked to have it use the higher clockspeed more often, so where as the stock one preferred the minimum speed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
regarding my above post, I believe it ws always in on demand governor mode.

Does this kernel support cifs?

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi modestone,

The lib files I modified override the ondemand governor and peg it to specific speeds, this is why I modified them, you'll find it behaving normally after you load them up.

Regarding CIFS, I don't remember, lets check the kernel config!

Code:
gabe@damothership ~/I957/i957kernel $ grep 'CIFS' .config
CONFIG_CIFS=y
# CONFIG_CIFS_STATS is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG2 is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS_EXPERIMENTAL is not set

Looks like that's a yes :)

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Merry Christmas G! Still enjoying the early present of a rooted and overclocked tablet. :)

But just in case you get really bored and want to work on the CWM recovery for this mutant Tab, I've got a wide-open schedule until the 3rd.

modestone

Apr 30, 2011
I also will gladly test anything needing testing.

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Ok, going to try to root and OC. Did you notice a performance boost at 1.7 or 1.8? Stock seems pretty laggy at times, especially the browser.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
A good chunk of that lag is just Honeycomb being Honeycomb. So yes, it still lags and runs choppy in places, but it lags less and is less choppy than at 1.5Ghz.

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Can't wait for ICS. I'm sure it will work faster with this hardware. My Skyrocket screams with Gingerbread and practically the same hardware.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Just for a little ego boosting fun:

attachment.php

;)

Blackberrynomore

Jun 11, 2011
regarding my above post, I believe it ws always in on demand governor mode.

Does this kernel support cifs?

You can download File Expert free from the market it has native SMB support so you can browse network shares plus it is a pretty good file manager as well with many other great features. One of the best free apps in the market IMHO!

Sent from my SGH-I727 using XDA App

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Anyone notice the device no longer goes into deep sleep? I installed setcpu and cpuspy says it never goes into deep sleep since then. Notice the battery dies faster when the screen is off now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well fellas, I have a priliminary/test custom CWM recovery image for our device, that should be flashable by ODIN.

I have not flashed it yet, planning on doing it tomarow morning.

In the event that something goes awry, I don't want to be stressing all night long about it ;)

I will keep you all posted!
    Nothing to see here.
    I have a kernel now for testing with cwm built in. Will have the link soon.

watching progress on the captivate glide cwm i927 as we speak and it worked. ours hopefully should be similar.

we need a more testers!!! PM or reply

So i flashed the recovery. i can get into clockworkmod but there are 4 tiny menus instead of 1 large one. the commands are buggy and i cant backup.

but.....this is a working step. this means we can work off of this. so we are on good ground and we know we wont brick or mess up the device by flashing different recoveries. ty utkanos!
    Original Post Gone. Formatted and tweaked original instructions. Original post by Croak can be found quoted at the bottom of page 8. Please read entire post before asking any questions. All credit goes to Da_G.

This is ONLY for the SGH-i957 and SGH-i957M (Bell).

WARNING: THIS WILL TRIP YOUR FLASH COUNTER [aka VOID WARRANTY]

NEXT WARNING: USE OF ODIN CAN DAMAGE YOUR DEVICE IF USED INCORRECTLY. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DUE TO FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Steps:
    1. Download and Install the Samsung Drivers for your device. Install Kies, or the latest mobile drivers.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    2. Download Da_G's overclock kernel.
    http://www.ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/sgh-i957-oc-kernel-dag-1944mhz.tar
    3. Download Odin 1.85
    http://www.multiupload.com/0EMX1J7RZJ
    3. Open Odin 1.85 as administrator
    4. Place the OC kernel .tar file in the PDA slot. (Make sure you do not have any boxes in the options panel checked besides the ones that were checked when opening the program - should only be auto reboot and f.reset time)
    5. Place the tablet in download mode. Hold vol up + vol down and hold power until the device powers on into download mode. Hit volume up to proceed after the warning screen
    6. Plug the tablet into the computer on a main usb slot and it will be detected by Odin in one of the ID:COM slots (will appear as yellow)
    7. Hit Start - the OC kernel should will be flashed to the tablet. Tablet will restart.
    8. Go into market and download NoFrills
    9. Set Max. Clock Freq. to 1.728, 1.782, 1.836, 1.89, or 1.944 GHz. Set your min clock speed to 192 MHz if desired. If you run into problems, set your I/O scheduler to noop instead of cfq. DO NOT CLICK 'APPLY ON BOOT' UNLESS YOU HAVE THOUROUGHLY TESTED THE STABILITY OF THE DEVICE AT THE SET GHz!!!

If you are unhappy for any reason and wish to go back to stock kernel - you can flash the stock kernel back using steps 3-7 above with the below file.
    http://ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/stock-kernel-odin-image-for-sgh-i957.tar

If you are still experiencing instability at any speed above 1.566 GHz, there are certain .so files (libhardware_legacy.so, librpc.so, and libtalk_jni.so) which limit speeds and can override the OC sometimes. Da_G modified these files which can be pushed to the device through adb commands. I won't explain how to get ADB working, it can be found on XDA elsewhere.

Link to .so files
    http://www.ponack.net/TPC/dagnarf/moddedfiles-i957.zip

ADB Commands (do the following once for each file in the .zip):
    adb remount
    adb push filename.so /system/lib/
    adb shell
    chmod 644 /system/lib/filename.so

Edit by Da_G: Here is a link to the requisite source, always up to date! https://github.com/dagnarf/i957kernel
    we arent out of the woods yet. there are a few issues we are working out. samsung did some weird stuff with this tablet.....but we wont brick it which is ok. give us a day or two more. hop in IRC if you want.

edit: got into 1 menu cwm with single toggles. very nice. also very late so we will continue tomorrow. good stuff happening.