[Q] sdcard0 vs extsdcard, want to move large data to extsdcard

Search This thread

Cyber Akuma

May 28, 2008
Sigh, this is exactly what I was worried about when upgrading from my EVO 3D.

I noticed my new M8 has a sdcard0 and extsdcard folder. And of course, the apps and games which download hundreds of megs of data in order to run are downloading to the 24 gig internal sdcard0 mount point instead of the nearly empty 64gig extsdcard0 mountpoint. I really REALLY hate how so many Android phones seem to do this, why can't it just be partitioned as internal instead of faking a sdcard, thus making large apps install to internal with no option of installing to the actual external card?

Anyway, without rooting my phone, is there any way I can somehow set it so apps download and install their data to the actual SD card? The whole reason I didn't get the M7 was because I don't want my data to be stuck on the phone's internal memory in case anything happens, as well as to not waste internal memory space on several hundred megs or even gigs of data when I can use a large sdcard for that.

aaron130

Mar 19, 2008
Massachusetts
I believe u can go to manage apps and move apps to the sd card. Some may not be able to if it's not comparable but a lot of them should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cyber Akuma

May 28, 2008
I believe u can go to manage apps and move apps to the sd card. Some may not be able to if it's not comparable but a lot of them should.

I tried that, it only moves the app executable to the SD card, not the hundreds of megs of additional data it downloaded. The app management screen even tells me how much of this additional data is on the internal memory and how much of it is on the SD card (it's all on internal), but moving the app doesn't move the additional data to the SD card.

willy900wonka

Dec 14, 2009
Penguinville
One would assume that the ext sd 's bus interface would be quick enough to not bog any app which would be using it. That being the case htc has no excuse for not having interchangeable symbolic mounting points between the two sd's. Ive physcally moved some of the data from app's (dcim, and random music ) directories to the extsd, and at least it unburdens the internal sd.
The apk resource fork in these systems could be processed better in android and it's sdk, or even the runtime.
F yes it sucks.