Howto: Rootless 3G Mobile Hotspot - AP/Infrastructure Mode #Free4All

Search This thread

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007
We have an easier, smoother, way. Finished a few xxx ago but now ready to release for the masses.

P3Droid
TeamBlackHat

tekahuna

Jul 31, 2010
Oakland
tekahuna I have a way to simplify the process using Tasker.

On an empty part of the screen:

1. New widget -> Task
2. Click New and give it a name ( I used 3G Hotspot)
3. Press the plus sign, choose app, the load app, and choose 3G mobile hotspot in menu; click done
4. Plus sign, tasker, wait, and drag the slider to 20 seconds; scroll down and click done
5. Plus sign, phone, radio, set to off; click done
6. Plus sign, tasker, wait, and set to 3 seconds; scroll down and click done
7. Plus sign, phone, radio, set to on; click done
8. Click the blue question mark towards the bottom right and choose an icon. I chose application icon, and then just used the default 3G mobile hotspot icon
9. Click Make Widget.

I tested this a few times and it worked flawlessly for me. If anyone else has any tasker experience and can simplify the workflow, please let me know.

Widget won't run for me except from the "Test" button... Maybe I'm missing something? I like it, though...

tekahuna

Jul 31, 2010
Oakland
We have an easier, smoother, way. Finished a few xxx ago but now ready to release for the masses.

P3Droid
TeamBlackHat

He make like he discovered the ****.

And he has a charge app for it.

That is super boosie if you ask me.

A post in my thread would have been the thing to do before moving forward with this...

Is P3Droid on XDA?

Last edited:

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007
He make like he discovered the ****.

And he has a charge app for it.

That is super boosie if you ask me.

A post in my thread would have been the thing to do before moving forward with this...

Is P3Droid on XDA?

What you have done, has nothing to do with what was done prior to your original post. They are not related. You will see. I applaud you for your discovery and the way you have actuated it.

P3Droid
TeamBlackHat

Last edited:

smitth6750

Sep 28, 2010
TBH has provided us a way to run a nvram parch which works without toggling service and had also offered us a unpatcher zip so id like to say hats off to u and TBH. Without dedicated dev the android community would be worthless. I applaud all the effort on both parties.

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The TBH hack is based on years old knowledge that dates back to when VZW implemented their current method of differentiating between a normal data connection and a tethered data connection.

I first did this hack on my Motorola e815, obviously using different methods, but the principle is the same.

All we have done is update the methods to current generation phones and access tools and packaged it in a new way that was never available to us until now.

Last edited:

hoola20055

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks to everyone. My DX is now all I wanted. On a side note. Noone makes people buy the TBH app. I personally was MORE than happy to purchase it. I like having what's new and hot all in one package. And that alone is worth it. I wouldn't care if it was just an app with links to the latest hacks and discoveries for the phone. It takes a lot of leg work to surf dozens of forums to keep up to date. back on topic.
INFRASTRUCTURE IS AWESOME!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

snwagner

Sep 1, 2008
So, to do P3Droid's patch, I need what.... root, koush bootstrap, the latest froyo leak deodexed and debloated, as well as serenity or whatever he wants to call his mutant creation to be called. I'm cool....

Message to P3Droid... I don't trust you on my handset!!!

Message to All: Be wary of who/what you allow to exist on your mobile handset. In this day and age, it is dang near your life line... How about a spontaneus reboot or a bricking when you're in an emergency situation. You can never be sure of one's intentions, or flaws in implementation.

Support real developers. EasySwitch and Tasker appear to be two products that do decent job of making this happen. No root, mind you! P3Droid's rush to implementation is a failure.

I have 15 years of experience with unix. I've been tech lead for BlackBerry(150 users, mostly doctors, lawyers, engineers, a pharmaceutical gig)/VPN(600+ users). I've drastically refined many a company's support infrastructure through pioneering the implementation of system replication with products like ghost(been doing that for 15 years as well). I've maintained an unlimited data plan with VZ for 4+ years now, first with a MotoQ, MotoQ9c, and now the DX. It also turn out, that I didn't really pay attention to my account, and I was actually paying for tethering the whole time, until I got the DX(this info was not available online, I had to call to fix this).

P3Droid is a failure... He slithers and is slimey... #Free4All

P.S., don't forget to get Mynet.apk... LOL... Gotta add it back cause he overlooked it....

P.S.S. *P3Droid* Get some deoderant, you stink!

Ok... back on topic... anyone wanna leak this out of tbh app? Lol

Not that I need it, I, too, purchased the app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: BobNobbins

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You folks realize that everything that is released on the TBH app is posted on MyDroidWorld 2 days later right?

It's just a premium we provide for supporters of the app, so they get it first.

This will be publicly posted and the methods and background information will be posted separately. This way, anyone can do the hack and understand the theory behind it, whether you are rooted or not, if you are willing to take the time to find the software tools required and manage the manual procedures to complete the hack properly.

All of the information and tools to do this are in the public domain already.
We just put it all together in an update.zip format as a Proof of Concept that it could be done in this manner. The only reason root is required is to run an unsigned update.zip from the Koush bootstrap recovery. The underlying principles of the hack have nothing to do with root and are edits to the NVM, which sets the parameters for the radio.

Wait a few days and it will all be made clear...otherwise download it from TBH and enjoy! ;)

Last edited:

snwagner

Sep 1, 2008
You folks realize that everything that is released on the TBH app is posted on MyDroidWorld 2 days later right?

It's just a premium we provide for supporters of the app, so they get it first.

This will be publicly posted and the methods and background information will be posted separately. This way, anyone can do the hack and understand the theory behind it, whether you are rooted or not, if you are willing to take the time to find the software tools required and manage the manual procedures to complete the hack properly.

All of the information and tools to do this are in the public domain already.
We just put it all together in an update.zip format as a Proof of Concept that it could be done in this manner. The only reason root is required is to run an unsigned update.zip from the Koush bootstrap recovery. The underlying principles of the hack have nothing to do with root and are edits to the NVM, which sets the parameters for the radio.

Wait a few days and it will all be made clear...otherwise download it from TBH and enjoy! ;)

And quit whining! Puhhhlease!!!!!

MotoCache1

Aug 10, 2010
So, to do P3Droid's patch, I need what.... root, koush bootstrap, the latest froyo leak deodexed and debloated, as well as serenity or whatever he wants to call his mutant creation to be called. I'm cool....

Message to All: Be wary of who/what you allow to exist on your mobile handset. In this day and age, it is dang near your life line... How about a spontaneus reboot or a bricking when you're in an emergency situation. You can never be sure of one's intentions, or flaws in implementation.

Support real developers. EasySwitch and Tasker appear to be two products that do decent job of making this happen. No root, mind you! P3Droid's rush to implementation is a failure.

I have 15 years of experience with unix. I've been tech lead for BlackBerry(150 users, mostly doctors, lawyers, engineers, a pharmaceutical gig)/VPN(600+ users). I've drastically refined many a company's support infrastructure through pioneering the implementation of system replication with products like ghost(been doing that for 15 years as well). I've maintained an unlimited data plan with VZ for 4+ years now, first with a MotoQ, MotoQ9c, and now the DX. It also turn out, that I didn't really pay attention to my account, and I was actually paying for tethering the whole time, until I got the DX(this info was not available online, I had to call to fix this).

P.S., don't forget to get Mynet.apk... LOL... Gotta add it back cause he overlooked it....

With your obvious mastery of conflict resolution techniques, it is no wonder you've been so successful in your career. What puzzles me however is how someone possessed of your technical superiority can't comprehend a file that updates 4 SEEMs. I mean really. The update.zip file isn't for people with your keen skills -- it is for the unwashed masses. People like you should open the update.zip, look at the 4 motorola.update_nv lines, scoff, fire up RadioComm, make the 4 NV/SEEM updates manually (with no Koush recovery, root, etc. needed -- so your phone can remain all virginal and such), and away you go.

I'm sure you've already figured all this out and are carrying on as you are for some other non-technical purpose -- like perhaps a theatrical audition for a local play or something. Assuming that is the case, well done sir.

Venc

Aug 21, 2010
The DX bootloader situation sucks... Hope this brightens up someones day...

This was tested on a Motorola Droid X Froyo 2.2(OTA) Rooted

Requirements:
Root(just kidding)
Stock 3G Mobile Hotspot Application
EasySwitch(Trial) by SmartDyne(Download from Market)

1. Download and Setup EasySwitch Widget
2. Fire up 3G Mobile Hotspot and wait for it to fully connect up (30 seconds?)
- If this is your first time running through this, open up your browser and go somewhere. You should get the Verizon Self Provisioning page... If not, you're wasting your money.
3. Now use EasySwitch to cycle the Radio *Off* then back *On* (Top row, 4th from the left... you must do this every time after you fire up 3G Mobile Hotspot)

Voila...

I know this process could be refined some... Who wants to help? #Free4All <- That was an invitation for dialog.

setNetworkPreference(ConnectivityManager.TYPE_MOBILE)

Update 10/9/10 2:55pm PST:

Who has root and more than 5 wireless devices? I only have 4...

/data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

max_num_sta = 5 <-- increase this number.

Someone test this...

Nice find, the only problem I see is that EasySwitch trial is only for a week, so after that it won't work. If someone can create a widget that does the Radio switch for free it would be great.

I'll check back in a month or so, let us know if you get charged.

Thanks!! :)

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Thread cleaned up. Please stay civil folks, and don't make personal attacks against each other

sleepsafe

Oct 3, 2010
Can't make this work today, get the message "can not connect the data link, please see your service provider". Did VZW institute a patch to fix this exploit?:confused:

blueb0x

Aug 9, 2010
Did verizon pull the mobile hotspot from the market or is it just me?
Im running flyx w/ 928 mod and beasley's market fix

GoldenCyn

Oct 31, 2007
Brooklyn
www.facebook.com
Got it from the TBH app, and worked flawlessly. Have a hacked cable modem and speeds wither to unusable speeds during peek times in my building so I just fire this up and keeps the good surf times rolling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok... back on topic... anyone wanna leak this out of tbh app? Lol

Not that I need it, I, too, purchased the app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk