[GUIDE] NTFS READ/WRITE for SDCARD and USB OTG ! UPDATED 21-JAN-2012 !!!

Search This thread

Spikestrip

Apr 14, 2012
It also works fine in the "[ROM] Criskelo's ICS V2 LP6 ICS FULL Working".

Thankx

I just got that ROM installed, and I can't get the same success with NtfsSD. I keep getting the error " /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 not found"

Am I doing something wrong? I am running the kernel that was installed with Criskelo. I'm okay with using a different kernel if needed, but I'd really like NTFS support. Thanks for any help in advance

The_Steph

Mar 20, 2007
Paris
Spikestrip,

Did you check the path the external sdcard should be mounted to? /mnt/emmc or /mnt/sdcard and changed NtfsSD accordingly because in its initial configuration, it tries to mount it to /mnt/external_sd which does not exist...

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Deezy88,

Unmount it using Eject disk as a normal USB key!

Spikestrip

Apr 14, 2012
Spikestrip,

Did you check the path the external sdcard should be mounted to? /mnt/emmc or /mnt/sdcard and changed NtfsSD accordingly because in its initial configuration, it tries to mount it to /mnt/external_sd which does not exist...

I did. If you open the preferences there are fields for "mount device" and "external storage." On my device, the external storage can be found at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd so that's how I have that field set up. The problem is with the other field. By default its looking for /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 which does not exist. I found similarly named files in /dev/block/platform/dw_mmc/ but none of the filenames matched the one NtfsSD was looking for so when I redirected it to that folder, it still didn't work.

Spikestrip

Apr 14, 2012
I did. If you open the preferences there are fields for "mount device" and "external storage." On my device, the external storage can be found at /mnt/sdcard/external_sd so that's how I have that field set up. The problem is with the other field. By default its looking for /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 which does not exist. I found similarly named files in /dev/block/platform/dw_mmc/ but none of the filenames matched the one NtfsSD was looking for so when I redirected it to that folder, it still didn't work.

Maybe related, maybe not:

TriangleAway says it can't find hidden partitions and asks if I'm actually running ICS. Beautiful Widgets (and possibly others, I haven't yet checked) can't get a geolocation. And some app, I can't for the life of me figure out which one, was telling me yesterday that I needed to either check or uncheck the USB debugging option, but whatever I did never satiated the app in question. I've been opening any app I have that seems like it could be involved, and I can't find that message again. I don't want to waste space and create a new thread if it isn't necessary, but I can't seem to find answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jadmask3rlm

Oct 12, 2011
Just for info, im on the latest stunner rom, i can mount my ntfs external hdd perfectly using usb mass storage watcher.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

GoJo ^^

Dec 2, 2011
Do you mean that you just need that app on Stunner, nothing more? How can i use a Western Digital Passport? I mean it's USB self powered and of course the Note won't power it on...

PROTOCHIP

Nov 2, 2005
Do you mean that you just need that app on Stunner, nothing more? How can i use a Western Digital Passport? I mean it's USB self powered and of course the Note won't power it on...

Dear kojinmalia,

It has to be externally powered so u cant mount your hdd even with that app if it is self powered...

Kind regards.

Sent from my iAmiga

jadmask3rlm

Oct 12, 2011
Kojinmalia,

As said by photochip, u nid an external power source example you have an external hdd, u nid a y cable one connecting to your hdd one to external charger and one to your note. Try ntfs mounter, its easier and more consistent.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

gotaphone

Jun 28, 2012
Just want to add that this great little app 'ntfssd' from play store also works on Paranoid Android V0.4 with default kernel.
I only had to change preferences 'external storage' to /mnt/emmc, as the /mnt/sdcard is occupied by internal memory. I believe its not a bug, there are reports on Paranoid Android thread why this is so.

Last edited:
Reactions: nico7212 and Luycks

Luycks

Jun 14, 2007
Plz delete this post, I touched a wrong button on my mobile and the result was a quote of the 1st post. I don't have a delete option...

Last edited:

Luycks

Jun 14, 2007
@Gotaphone That worked for me! I'm on N7000 with CM9 RC1. I had to change preferences 'external storage' to /mnt/emmc as well for the same reason you mentioned, but then it worked!!

Last edited:

DJ_Evil

Nov 29, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I had no problem using NTFS SD from play market up until last night now I can't for the life of me get my 64gb NTFS formatted SDcard to mount, constant blank SD notifications and NTFS-3G Device or resource is busy. I am on stock 4.03 with CF-Root kernel currently, I tried a different kernel and still nothing. Reboot the handset multiple times and also booted up with no SD card inserted, tried NTFS Mounter and no difference.

Has anyone had this problem where it suddenly stops working? I had it before at the beginning of June but a reboot without the SD card and then a reboot putting it back in resolved this, I can read the SD Card fine in windows with a card reader so I know there is nothing wrong with it.

Seems like NTFS is such a hassle now so I guess I will go back to formatting it as normal using the device, such a pain as I loved being able to store large movies that were over 4gb's :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Friends,

I tried now with a USB stick format ntfs
    1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
    2) Reboot
    3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su
    insmod /lib/modules/fuse.ko
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/usb

And now the usb stick can be read and written

AbyssNote Kernel developer " angelom " pointed us solution for read/write ntfs for formatted usb stick and i apply it for sdcard and both works flawlessly !!!! Thanks angelom...

Some Tests:

** After mounting sdcard as read/write ntfs, camera app also can be able to record photos and videos to ntfs...

** Watching movies over 4 gb size is not a problem anymore. 1080p Mkvs with no lag at all...

** Most of the 3rd Party apps recognize ntfs formatted sdcard like it is fat32...

** Stock Video Player dont see NTFS so i use BSPLAYER LITE ( best for mkv on note ) OR MX VIDEO PLAYER !!! ( U can use ES file explorer to play videos with stock video player )

** Stock app like gallery dont see the files in ntfs sdcard... Quickpic app also doesnt work with ntfs formatted sd card...
    PERFECT VIEWER CAN DISPLAY IMAGES AVAILABLE FROM NTFS SDCARD.... ( THANKS BROTBUEXE)

** You can use free apps like MyMusicOn or MixZing Basic to play music files which are in ntfs formatted sdcard...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after every reboot. Gscript lite app helps here so much with its shortcuts...

** We have to repeat steps 4 and 5 after using usb mass storage mode...

** Ntfs formatted sdcard also is recognized by windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode...

** I am getting very low transfer speed for small files in windows when Gnote is using usb mass storage mode... for big files it is as fast as Fat32...

My config:

MySAM ed.1 Rom
    Abyss V2.5 Kernel
    32 gb class4 SDCard

How to: READ/WRITE NTFS

1- Flash Abyssnote Kernel - Latest Version : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1362424
    2- Format sdcard to ntfs in windows and plug it to phone.
    3- Power on phone and GNote will recognize ntfs formatted sdcard as blank sd.
    4- Download ntfs-3g.zip from attachment...
    4- Extract zip and copy " ntfs-3g " to /system/bin/
    5- Reboot
    6- Install Terminal Emulator from market.
    7- Enter these lines in terminal emulator. ( insmod commands are optional for abyssnote kernel since they are loaded automatically but for other kernels u have to use insmod commands )

a- To mount ntfs formatted sdcard

su
    chmod 755 /system/bin/ntfs-3g
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
    vold

b- To mount ntfs formatted usb hdd or usb stick

su
    vold

or create a newfolder named usb in internal sdcard

su
    ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb
    vold

5- now goto settings-storage and select mount sdcard ( only for sdcard not usb stick )

6- now your ntfs formatted sdcard or usb memory stick should be recognized by system as read/write

7- After every reboot u have to repeat steps 4 and 5 !!!

8- To unmount usb hdd:

a- Run Terminal Emulator
    b- Enter This line:

su

umount -l -f /mnt/usb

umount -l -f /mnt/sdcard/usb

c- now your usb hdd is unmounted.
    d- You can safely remove it from otg cable.

** You can download "Gscript Lite" from market and create these scripts as shortcuts in your home screen so u dont have to enter line every time after reboot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "Autostart" app or "script manager" app to run script on boot... ( Market - Free )

** Use "elixir 2 widgets" app or " any cut " app to create a shortcut directly on home screen to settings-storage... ( Market - Free )

*** UPDATE 10-JAN-2012

I realized that after executing ntfs-3g , our ntfs formatted card is automatically mounted by the system even it says Blank SD in notification page... No need to go to settings-storage-mount sd card...

So if the blank sd message in noti. doesnt bother us, then no need to look for how to mount ntfs sd automatically... It is already mounted... :)

I use script manager to load the ntfs-3g script during boot and thats it... After boot i use my ntfs formatted card...

*** UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb Storage " in the notification bar.

Simply add " vold " command to end of script

After reboot "blank sd" noti will gone...

vold command remounts all storage.

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps,

THANKS GOES TO angelom, The_Steph, brotbuexe and to all who i forgot to mention....

Kind Regards,

ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE !!!
    Dear Friends,

UPDATE 21-JAN-2012

While trying to get rid of blank sd noti, after running vold command, noti has gone, surprisingly...

No more " Blank SDCARD " or " Blank Usb storage " in the notification bar.

Simply add " vold " command to end of script

After reboot "blank sd" noti will gone...

vold command remounts all storage...

Dont bother even settings-storage shows sdcard as unavailable since it is already mounted and recognized by the system...

Hope this helps.

@The_Steph

Now we have full automated NTFS system... Cheersss !!!

Kind regards...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
    I tried now with a USB stick format ntfs
    1) I inserted the file ntfs-3g for GS2 in /system/bin with the proper permissions
    2) Reboot
    3)Then I inserted the usb stick with the otg cable into the phone, so I typed from the terminal emulator:

su

And now the usb stick can be read and written
    Dear surgical,

First of all create a folder named "usb" in mnt/sdcard/ not in mnt/ ( second way in the guide )

You are using AbyssNote Kernel so no need to enter insmod command.

now:

1- plug in the usb otg cable to phone.
    2- plug usb flash to usb otb cable.
    3- wait till media scanner finishes and u see blank usb in the noti. bar.
    4- now enter

ntfs-3g /dev/block/sda1 /mnt/sdcard/usb

5- now ur usb flash must be recognized.
    6- If it is a usb hdd then it must be externally powered otherwise system cant handle its power.

7- you can also use vold command optionally to get rid of warning in noti. bar.

Hope all these helps.

Kind Regards.
    It works at last!

Many thanks and respect to PROTOCHIP and The_Steph

Everything is clear and it works at last.

Thank You both very much!!!