[ROM] Dell Venue ICS 4.0.4 CM9 [19/11/2012]

Search This thread

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
Could you please create update.zip just for your modification. I, and surely many others, do not want to reset our device after flashing new ROM! :)

I guess .. whizkin kernel caused ringtones not ringing. my build rom with kernel is ringing so I dismantle the kernel and modules only thus user probably can flash kernel only to call ringtones :D ... I did not dig into details what is the real problem. so I uploaded the whole ringing ROM. I do some googling related to APNs .... once APNs problem solved whizkin rom will be fully functional rom. Then we can probably start shift to JB

changkho1908

Dec 21, 2011
Brisbane
I guess .. whizkin kernel caused ringtones not ringing. my build rom with kernel is ringing so I dismantle the kernel and modules only thus user probably can flash kernel only to call ringtones :D ... I did not dig into details what is the real problem. so I uploaded the whole ringing ROM. I do some googling related to APNs .... once APNs problem solved whizkin rom will be fully functional rom. Then we can probably start shift to JB

so port to MIUI V4? i like miui than cm9:good:

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
One question does headset works with this kernel along with power button or only speaker?

Sent from my Dell Venue using xda premium

I did not test yet. Just for info in kernel source there is phoenix patch to make speaker always awake if we configure by disabling this option .... phone will not ring (dunno about headset) once this option enable ... phone ring but headset probably not work. :confused:

Reactions: Songlambr37

chacona

Mar 29, 2012
Hanoi
Okay, then I'll flash the ROM again, God bless me! :laugh:

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
I just realized ... the rom system build the ramdisk with read only at /system thus we can not " push " any apk or other file via adb. even we do adb remount ... or probably can have write access on /system but gone after reboot. If you wish to push apk or other file into live DV with Whizkin Rom or probably mine and failed to have write access into /system after adb remounting .... Flash below kernel with edited ramdisk

changelog
  • delete emulator goldfish init.rc
  • yaff2 mount RW on /system
  • Nothing else
ATTENTION
  • THIS IS GOOD FOR TWEAKING AND DEVELOPING ONLY
  • DEFAULT MOUNT FOR /SYSTEM IS R.O=READ ONLY TO ENABLE DRM FUNCTION
To have write acces on /system : FLASH WRITEABLE-xxxxx.zip
To have READ ONLY on /system : FLASH READONLY-xxxxx.zip

Attachments

• WRITEABLE-SYSTEM-VENUE-KERNEL-FOR-CM9.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 68
  • READONLY-SYSTEM-VENUE-KERNEL-FOR-CM9.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 42

WhizKins

Mar 9, 2011
India
kbhaskar.in
Sorry guys I've been a lot busy lately with college and this isn't likely to change for the whole of December due to my final exams. I'll try to release a ROM with a few fixes incorporated in it, but no promises.

As for Camera, I don't think Streak has a working camera on ICS and We need to build a camera wrapper around the Gingerbread camera libraries which isn't that easy.

terminal17

Apr 29, 2012
Bangalore
Ok guys test results for this rom

What's working:
GSM.
Music through speakers.
Screen brightness can b adjusted.
Settings work.
Any more pls post

Not working:
Ring tone through speakers.
Not able to save apns.
Camera not able to connect.
Not able to place widgets on main screen.
No file manager app.
Screen a bit framing at high speed swipes.
Any more u guys found pls post

Didnt chk the mute issue which was present in cm7 rom.

Outside silencing or mute switch not working.

Volume rocker buttons working.

Anything else u guys find pls post.

I didn't do a thorough test...2 days i used the rom and these are the problems i found...

Hope it helps the dev.:D

The way i flashed the rom

Transferred rom, kernel, gapps all zip files to sd card...

Booted into recovery

Did a full wipe including system

Flashed kernel rom and gapps in that order.

Reboot system.

The boot animation can do with a bit of resizing

Any furthur bugs pls post as it will help the dev to try and rectify..

Sorry for long post:(

Sent from my Dell Venue using xda app-developers app

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Files changed in /system/

/system/app/ - Basically every apk, don't even bother copying individual changed files
/system/framework/ - Everything

It's not very helpful, this basically summerizes it.

Those represent a large fraction of why the current rom isnt perfect.
*excluding the kernel, we have the source for the 408 kernel and all goog's kernels, but merging our code in isnt exactly an easy thing
*the rest are the actual drivers in android itself

If you already had a strong linux 3.4 port, going from ICS -> JB really wouldnt be that much work in comparison, but we dont have that.

Reactions: kakagi and GalaxyIV

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Hi guys!

I have successfully ported CM9 for our Dell Venue. Barring a few minor bugs and camera everything works fine :)

Credits
    All people from Dell Streak Community (DSC especially kibuuka and _n0p_). Also, x1123 and all others who helped in testing my ROM :)

homegvs.png
    drawercg.png
    aboutku.png
    lockscreen.png

What Works
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • GSM
    • Sensors
    • Touch button lights
    • Hardware acceleration
    • Audio
    • ...etc

What does not work
    • Camera
    • Few minor things

Not Tested
    • 3G / 2G
    • GPS

NOTE: The power button and the headset do not work together for some reason. So, you have to choose one or the other. By default in my ROM the power button works but the headset does not. So, if you want the headset to work you will have to flash a separate kernel but then the power button will stop working.
    So, it's highly recommended to turn on Volume Rocker Wake in Settings -> Display otherwise the screen won't turn on.

Downloads

Instructions
    1. Copy the ROM to your SD card
    2. Reboot into recovery (Press Volume Up + Volume Down when starting the phone)
    3. Select wipe data / factory reset
    4. Flash the ROM and after that flash the headset fix if needed
    5. Reboot and enjoy ;)

Feedback
    I would appreciate your feedback on the ROM on this thread itself. For general ICS development (mainly for devs and testers) please visit this thread.
    Of course I build it from source Moreover, I'm relaunching entire process using codeaurora sources instead of aosp+patches taken from all over the net :) Kernel build now is part of ROM production process, this is what I was really missing in my previous attempt. Also, Qualcomm's libcamera uses headers from integrated kernel which potentially promises some progress on camera issue.

Last, but not least - kernel now being built using Linaro toolchain, now I'm into making Linaro to build rest of c code in ROM.

Sent from my Dell Streak Pro using xda app-developers app
    Installed and tested the rom for 4 hours till now. Here is the list of my obserbations.

1. boot animation need resizing
    2.wifi works but the color of the wifi doesnt change to blue it remains grey

above two is not an issue at all.

3. USSD code doesnt work. ===> fix: flash the ussd fix zip file for gingerbread rom posted by Themanii previously.

4.Mobile data doest work at all. some problem i guess. u can not create apn. i tried with tweakker application but strangely it says:
    your sim card can not be used. make sure u have sim card and a proper gsm signal. you cannot use this application in airplane mode. but the phone already have the sim card and i can make call with it. see the attached screenshot (Baseband issue or rom issue ????)

5. There is no ringtone sound during incoming call. if u use the headset fix kernel u will get the sound via headset but not via phone speaker.
    same applicable in case of any notification,

6.Wifi and usb tethering not working.( im sure it will work with 3rd party app from market)

7. And as the OP says headset and camera doesnt work. but if u flash the headset fix u can get the headset working but power button will stop functioning . so in case restart/shutdown use 3rd party application otherwise pull out your battery :p

8. Automatic brightness not working.

9. am/pm style not working under settings. it will not show anything either am or pm.

10. Led flashlight not working.

11. gallery>any photo>edit>face glow/ face tan produces force closes.

* @ Themanii i flashed your gapps but it doesnt include gtalk. and does google card not working for us??

This is my observation. i will post further if something unusual happen.

Everything else works for me thats includes wifi(need to add one ssid manually),usb mass storage, bt, incoming outgoing call, voice calirity, mute during call, gps, assisted gps, compass, auto rotation., touch, youtube in Hq also works but i get sign in error in youtube continiously dont know why.
    so basically i found the above mention things is not working and rest of all cm9 feature is working.
    Sorry guys I've been a lot busy lately with college and this isn't likely to change for the whole of December due to my final exams. I'll try to release a ROM with a few fixes incorporated in it, but no promises.

As for Camera, I don't think Streak has a working camera on ICS and We need to build a camera wrapper around the Gingerbread camera libraries which isn't that easy.
    I just realized ... the rom system build the ramdisk with read only at /system thus we can not " push " any apk or other file via adb. even we do adb remount ... or probably can have write access on /system but gone after reboot. If you wish to push apk or other file into live DV with Whizkin Rom or probably mine and failed to have write access into /system after adb remounting .... Flash below kernel with edited ramdisk

changelog
    • delete emulator goldfish init.rc
    • yaff2 mount RW on /system
    • Nothing else
    ATTENTION
    • THIS IS GOOD FOR TWEAKING AND DEVELOPING ONLY
    • DEFAULT MOUNT FOR /SYSTEM IS R.O=READ ONLY TO ENABLE DRM FUNCTION
    To have write acces on /system : FLASH WRITEABLE-xxxxx.zip
    To have READ ONLY on /system : FLASH READONLY-xxxxx.zip