[Q] Can you make text received to Google Voice number display your contacts real #?

Search This thread

anumeric1122

Feb 26, 2010
So I'm trying to figure out how to make texts I receive to my Google Voice number display my contacts actual number as opposed to the Google number they are assigned. I understand that it was meant to allow you to send a message back to that person that would still display your GV number, however, with Voice+ all my text's are sent from my GV number so it seems unnecessary and has the annoying effect of creating two conversation threads with one person. Even stranger is I will receive the same text from their actual number 10-15 minutes later (I'm assuming from the "receive text messages to this phone option in the web settings) which usually isn't that much of an issue as if I'm texting it's probably not that urgent, but makes text conversations almost impossible. However, this leads me to think that it is entirely possible to force texts sent to a GV number to seem as if they are sent from your friend directly.

If anyone has any solutions, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

anumeric1122

Feb 26, 2010
I should note that when I do receive text messages that were sent to my GV number that eventually do come through with the senders real number, they all come at once. That is, if I had a 10 text conversation with someone, I will receive all 10 of their responses all at once (and usually two of each) from their actual number. So it seems like its syncing messages on some time interval. Maybe there's a way to decrease that time interval?