T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Search This thread

Elius2676

Jan 2, 2011
I am using the same version on the same network as you are. See my apn settings.View attachment 4699130View attachment 4699131View attachment 4699135View attachment 4699136

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Thanks for doing that. Yeah, my settings all match yours.

I don't know what else could cause this. I am a Google voice user, but I've tested using it or not using it for phone calls and there's no difference. I've turned off any of the voice-over-data options there are in the phone, but still can't keep data during a phone call...

polzovotel

Jun 30, 2011
Austin
Thanks for doing that. Yeah, my settings all match yours.

I don't know what else could cause this. I am a Google voice user, but I've tested using it or not using it for phone calls and there's no difference. I've turned off any of the voice-over-data options there are in the phone, but still can't keep data during a phone call...
Try to do a factory reset and check again. It should work. You also may want to try a different SIM from T-Mobile.

Elius2676

Jan 2, 2011
Try to do a factory reset and check again. It should work. You also may want to try a different SIM from T-Mobile.

Update/additional information: I realized today that in urban areas, I actually do maintain a data connection on the HSPA network. But as I return home, about 40 minutes out of town to the country, that's when I lose all data while on a call.

Maybe I will try a factory reset this week. Before that, might pop my wife's SIM in here to see if that plays a role.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jommyjomjom

Nov 24, 2018
Now that my 6t is all fully converted thanks to OP and all the helpful people in this thread, I've been wanting to buy the dual sim tray replacement.

Can anyone vouch for any of the current ones for sale on Amazon or eBay? I'd like one that fits well and is perfectly flush with the phone. Hopefully it can match with the finish of the tmobile 6t as well.

Thanks!

Caltinpla

Sep 16, 2014
Garden State
Now that my 6t is all fully converted thanks to OP and all the helpful people in this thread, I've been wanting to buy the dual sim tray replacement.

Can anyone vouch for any of the current ones for sale on Amazon or eBay? I'd like one that fits well and is perfectly flush with the phone. Hopefully it can match with the finish of the tmobile 6t as well.

Thanks!
I just ordered one from here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283311152961 based on other users recommended that it fits perfectly flush.

Reactions: jommyjomjom

Elius2676

Jan 2, 2011
Update/additional information: I realized today that in urban areas, I actually do maintain a data connection on the HSPA network. But as I return home, about 40 minutes out of town to the country, that's when I lose all data while on a call.

Maybe I will try a factory reset this week. Before that, might pop my wife's SIM in here to see if that plays a role.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Update again: found that my turning on VoLTE keeps data while on phone calls... I had turned it off because 1) I don't want to see my high speed data get all used up during long phone calls on my commute home and 2) (maybe more importantly) I didn't like the icon in the top right ? (this is ok since I found the toggle to not show it in the status bar icon manager)

Before the conversion, I don't remember VoLTE being enabled aromatically/showing in the top right. Does this sound right to everyone else? I sincerely worry that long phone calls could chew up my data, but I equally can't stand that my data connection goes bye bye during calls.

This is especially detrimental to my phone's other modes of communication since I text through Google voice and Hangouts which both require data. Not to mention how many times I've been on the phone when I'm also navigating on Google maps. I literally have to hang up on my parents or wife almost daily to regain data for a minute to make sure I'm getting accurate/live traffic. Le sigh...

PattayaGlock

Feb 6, 2019
HELP! I bricked my phone

Well, my 1st post is because I bricked my phone :((

I was using the msm to convert my t mobile to an international. Everything was going fine, but taking forever. I think Windows updates on a new laptop were burning my system resources.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes I clicked stop and unplugged my phone. Bad mistake. Now the phone will not power up. When I try to restart the msm tool and plig my phone in windows says the usb device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize the device. The msm prgram just says “waiting on phone”.

What do I do?. I have rooted several phones over the years, never bricked one. This is my 1sr Andriod in years and I bricked it.

bkjay78

Aug 31, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
3 questions:
1). Can anyone confirm if Google Pay stops working after you unlock the bootloader?
2). If I unlock the bootloader, does it really matter if my SIM remains lock since I am going to be keeping TMO anyway?
3). Will I need to create a separate folder with the tools including the TMO tool if I wanted to go back to the TMO version?

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

Well, my 1st post is because I bricked my phone :((

I was using the msm to convert my t mobile to an international. Everything was going fine, but taking forever. I think Windows updates on a new laptop were burning my system resources.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes I clicked stop and unplugged my phone. Bad mistake. Now the phone will not power up. When I try to restart the msm tool and plig my phone in windows says the usb device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize the device. The msm prgram just says “waiting on phone”.

What do I do?. I have rooted several phones over the years, never bricked one. This is my 1sr Andriod in years and I bricked it.

Hold down the power + VOL Up buttons for about 15 secs or so until you feel the phone vibrate. Then you will see it boot up, no more brick.

Regarding the method you are using, first make sure that USB debugging is enabled on your phone in developer options. Otherwise, the program is not going to recognize that your phone is attached. Turn on the program, then make sure USB debugging is enabled, then turn off your phone, then press and hold the VOL UP+DOWN at the same time. While holding these buttons, plug in the USB to your computer. You should hear the computer recognizing your phone. The program will then say connected. Once you see that click on start.

unomas

Jan 11, 2019
3 questions:
1). Can anyone confirm if Google Pay stops working after you unlock the bootloader?
2). If I unlock the bootloader, does it really matter if my SIM remains lock since I am going to be keeping TMO anyway?
3). Will I need to create a separate folder with the tools including the TMO tool if I wanted to go back to the TMO version?

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

Hold down the power + VOL Up buttons for about 15 secs or so until you feel the phone vibrate. Then you will see it boot up, no more brick.

Regarding the method you are using, first make sure that USB debugging is enabled on your phone in developer options. Otherwise, the program is not going to recognize that your phone is attached. Turn on the program, then make sure USB debugging is enabled, then turn off your phone, then press and hold the VOL UP+DOWN at the same time. While holding these buttons, plug in the USB to your computer. You should hear the computer recognizing your phone. The program will then say connected. Once you see that click on start.
I cant answer the last question cause I will never go back to the TMobile version :)
I guess it won't matter if you are using TMobile, I tried att and it worked.
you aren't tripping googles safety net, so Google pay, Netflix, all that stuff works perfectly fine.

Last edited:

polzovotel

Jun 30, 2011
Austin
1. Will break Google safenet so yes, you will have a problem if bootloader is unlocked.

2.Up to you. However, if later you will need to unlock you will need to go to TMobile stock first and this will wipe your phone.

3. Yes

bkjay78

Aug 31, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
1. Will break Google safenet so yes, you will have a problem if bootloader is unlocked.

2.Up to you. However, if later you will need to unlock you will need to go to TMobile stock first and this will wipe your phone.

3. Yes

Thank you for your reply. So you are saying that it will affect things like Google Pay, Netflix, etc....a poster above you says otherwise, so I guess now I am left to do more research to find out which of you 2 are correct. I use Google Pay quite often so I would hate to lose it, but I do want to root my phone. I have used Magisk in the past with Samsung phones which allowed for Google safenet bypass so perhaps that is a work around.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
    1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
    2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
    3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
    4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
    5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
    6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
    7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
    8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
    9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
    10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
    11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
    12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
    13) ???
    14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.
    If you want to unlock bootloader after it's converted, then it's just a simple fastboot oem unlock WITHOUT having to wait 7 days for OnePlus unlock bin. Just like the 6T sold by OnePlus directly. And you can even load a dual-SIM tray and both SIM slots work normally.
    I created a video tutorial for those who may be having issues or struggling with the process. Enjoy!
    Note: It's currently still processing, so the quality will be improved when that's complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-tjPPz2Ws
    NOTHING is wrong or missing in the instructions; follow them EXACTLY..
    Use winzip NOT winrar..Make sure your computer has the QUALCOMM driver installed
    Make sure your pc sees your phone.
    Use the cable your phone came with
    Try a different USB port

If this doesnt work for you, its YOUR fault, not the instructions or the OP's fault
    I don't have the T-Mobile 6T, but on top of giving an idea, I wanted to say congratulations!

Now as for an idea, if you guys want to see if OTA updating works, couldn't you guys:

1. do the conversion
    2. downgrade with an older msm tool
    3. reboot and test software update in the os

That way you won't have to wait to see if it works?

Edit: If you're searching for a downgrade, I've been collecting all factory images and MSMTool for the 6T here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=285795

The one that will take you to the original OxygenOS (9.0.5) for the non T-Mobile variant is in the "OxygenOS MSMDownloadTool" folder named "oneplus6t_fajita_oxygen_41_o.11_181103.zip"