Cedric TWRP Flashable Oreo

Search This thread

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Hi folks, I'm here from the potter (G5 Plus) forums. For potter, I create the TWRP flashable builds of the stock rom. Whilst I'm waiting for the official Oreo for potter, I decided I'd have a go at creating a TWRP flashable build of Oreo for cedric. So here it is....

A few things to note about this:
  • Bear in mind that I don't have this device, so can't test it. The usual disclaimer applies a.k.a. try at your own risk.
  • Think of this as a custom rom that happens to be just like stock
  • It will install the updates to most partitions, except bootloader-related partitions and the partition table. The full list of updated partitions is:
    1. modem
    2. fsg
    3. dsp
    4. boot
    5. system
    6. oem
  • It does not include the commands to erase modemst1 or modemst2. Experience from the potter forums tells me that it is safest to leave those out, for the few that never backed up their EFS and / or Persist.
  • Normally I would disable dm-verity and forced encryption of the data partition, but I didn't this time - 1) I wanted to make sure it was bit-perfect with what you'd get with the normal OTA (aside from bootloader updates), and 2) I don't actually believe dm-verity is enforced in this build (although I could be wrong). I was wrong!
  • The second soak test uses the aroma installer. Much of the above is selectable, and I have managed to work out how to disable dm-verity and force encryption.
  • Refer to my Potter Oreo thread in the references below for further information. There is a good description and FAQ, much of which will apply to Cedric as well.

So how did I do it?
I used the key files from the OP of this thread:
[STOCK][OREO] Upgrade to Official Stock Oreo 8.1.0

I used the fastboot flashable of 137-93-2 to create an initial TWRP flashable zip, then applied the OTA over the top of the previously created zip (it's complex, but I have a guide on how to do it, one needs to be pretty adaptable on this one).

What you should do
  • Back up your phone - especially your data, EFS and Persist.
  • Clean flash vs dirty flash? Not sure, I don't have this device so don't really know. If you were on stock, a dirty flash may work, try clean if it doesn't. If you've come from a custom rom, clean flash is mandatory.

Going back to Nougat or Custom Roms / Problems with fingerprint
The stock Oreo roms update many of the files that are used for functionality such as fingerprint, connectivity, etc. These files are, in many cases, incompatible with stock Nougat and custom Oreo roms. Furthermore, a normal flash (of a custom rom) does not update these files. In order to safely downgrade, it is best to fully downgrade to stock Nougat. If you then wish to install a custom rom, do so after.

A TWRP flashable build of stock Nougat is available in these folders:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=280563
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jwhbwo4kgim67hk/AAAREEIvVxTNq4VJtsL1BWLEa?dl=0

Problems with lost IMEI, missing VoLTE functionality, or no 4G?
As I state above, I haven't got this device, but I have found the underlying cause in potter. If you suffer from any of those issues, please send me a private message if you are willing to try something to restore. One word in advance - if you don't have your own persist partition, you're probably screwed :(

Links
All files for cedric will be placed here:
Android File Host
Dropbox

Developer help
If any developer out there is interested in maintaining this project, feel free to message me.

References
Here are the relevant threads of mine from the potter world, as I only own a potter (G5 Plus). Much of the information in these threads is applicable to cedric as well. To state the obvious, don't flash any of the linked files on your cedric device.

Creating TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
[Oreo]TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
[Nougat]TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
Fix Persist, resolve IMEI=0, Explanation, Requirements

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP Flashable Oreo, ROM for the Moto G5

Contributors
NZedPred
ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
Based On: Stock ROM

Version Information

Created 2018-08-11
Last Updated 2019-06-04

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Reverting back to stock Nougat

Just a note about reverting back to stock nougat. As Oreo changes permissions on some key files and folders, you may get an issue of your IMEI becoming 0. In order to resolve this, you can do one of the following:

Download and install this zip through TWRP:
cedric-stock-nougat-persist-fix.zip

Execute the following commands within stock Nougat:
Code:
su
chown -R rfs:rfs /persist/rfs
chown -R rfs:rfs_shared /persist/hlos_rfs

Then reboot.

The TWRP zip does the same thing as the code.

Last edited:

topkee

Apr 20, 2016
Everything works very well, battery life will be tested, it would be great if someone debloated it, thanks by the way!

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

I made a short youtube video to show how the rom works, but cause i'm new here, it won't let me post links, so the title is "Moto G5 (2017) Flashable Oreo Stock Rom".

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Everything works very well, battery life will be tested, it would be great if someone debloated it, thanks by the way!

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

I made a short youtube video to show how the rom works, but cause i'm new here, it won't let me post links, so the title is "Moto G5 (2017) Flashable Oreo Stock Rom".

Great, thanks for letting me know it all works. I'll check out your video.

Sorry if I can not ask you this, you can do this for the G5s plus (sanders)

in my cedric worked perfectly thanks

I could do it if I had the right files. I'd need either the fastboot image for Oreo if available. Or, the fastboot image of the version prior to the Oreo OTA, and the Oreo OTA. If there's a thread that has those, pass it on to me and I'll have a look.

Last edited:

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
Just flashed and working like a charm! Very good job @NZedPred. The only problem is the bad quality of the loudspeaker. Is there something you can do to make it better?

This is a completely stock rom, with no modifications at all (apart from the bootloader files being left untouched, and it's highly unlikely that has any impact on the operational side of your device). So this is what it is like for the Oreo soak testers as well. If there was another update to the soak test that happened to fix it, I'd need the OTA for that, but that would rely upon people on the soak test to capture the OTA(s).

keats13

Feb 26, 2015
i installed this ROM, but the "moto display" don’t show me messages (messenger, WhatsApp, etc). Does anyone have the same problem?. how can I solve that?

topkee

Apr 20, 2016
I went back to linage os 14.1 and i have a huge problem, fingerprint scanner doesn't show in settings or anywhere, therefor i can't accses it, anybody know the solution, or did someone have this issue?

Dec 12, 2016
I went back to linage os 14.1 and i have a huge problem, fingerprint scanner doesn't show in settings or anywhere, therefor i can't accses it, anybody know the solution, or did someone have this issue?

You will go back to Lineage 14.1, remove your firgerprints registers and unblock screen block, and go to Oreo. I had this problem. (sorry my english)

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

It works normal for me. Good work, Thank you!

topkee

Apr 20, 2016
You will go back to Lineage 14.1, remove your firgerprints registers and unblock screen block, and go to Oreo. I had this problem. (sorry my english)

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

It works normal for me. Good work, Thank you!

I didn't understand that.. Sorry, can you write step by step instr. or something?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks, I'm here from the potter (G5 Plus) forums. For potter, I create the TWRP flashable builds of the stock rom. Whilst I'm waiting for the official Oreo for potter, I decided I'd have a go at creating a TWRP flashable build of Oreo for cedric. So here it is....

A few things to note about this:
    • Bear in mind that I don't have this device, so can't test it. The usual disclaimer applies a.k.a. try at your own risk.
    • Think of this as a custom rom that happens to be just like stock
    • It will install the updates to most partitions, except bootloader-related partitions and the partition table. The full list of updated partitions is:
      1. modem
      2. fsg
      3. dsp
      4. boot
      5. system
      6. oem
    • It does not include the commands to erase modemst1 or modemst2. Experience from the potter forums tells me that it is safest to leave those out, for the few that never backed up their EFS and / or Persist.
    • Normally I would disable dm-verity and forced encryption of the data partition, but I didn't this time - 1) I wanted to make sure it was bit-perfect with what you'd get with the normal OTA (aside from bootloader updates), and 2) I don't actually believe dm-verity is enforced in this build (although I could be wrong). I was wrong!
    • The second soak test uses the aroma installer. Much of the above is selectable, and I have managed to work out how to disable dm-verity and force encryption.
    • Refer to my Potter Oreo thread in the references below for further information. There is a good description and FAQ, much of which will apply to Cedric as well.

So how did I do it?
    I used the key files from the OP of this thread:
    [STOCK][OREO] Upgrade to Official Stock Oreo 8.1.0

I used the fastboot flashable of 137-93-2 to create an initial TWRP flashable zip, then applied the OTA over the top of the previously created zip (it's complex, but I have a guide on how to do it, one needs to be pretty adaptable on this one).

What you should do
    • Back up your phone - especially your data, EFS and Persist.
    • Clean flash vs dirty flash? Not sure, I don't have this device so don't really know. If you were on stock, a dirty flash may work, try clean if it doesn't. If you've come from a custom rom, clean flash is mandatory.

Going back to Nougat or Custom Roms / Problems with fingerprint
    The stock Oreo roms update many of the files that are used for functionality such as fingerprint, connectivity, etc. These files are, in many cases, incompatible with stock Nougat and custom Oreo roms. Furthermore, a normal flash (of a custom rom) does not update these files. In order to safely downgrade, it is best to fully downgrade to stock Nougat. If you then wish to install a custom rom, do so after.

A TWRP flashable build of stock Nougat is available in these folders:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=280563
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jwhbwo4kgim67hk/AAAREEIvVxTNq4VJtsL1BWLEa?dl=0

Problems with lost IMEI, missing VoLTE functionality, or no 4G?
    As I state above, I haven't got this device, but I have found the underlying cause in potter. If you suffer from any of those issues, please send me a private message if you are willing to try something to restore. One word in advance - if you don't have your own persist partition, you're probably screwed :(

Links
    All files for cedric will be placed here:
    Android File Host
    Dropbox

Developer help
    If any developer out there is interested in maintaining this project, feel free to message me.

References
    Here are the relevant threads of mine from the potter world, as I only own a potter (G5 Plus). Much of the information in these threads is applicable to cedric as well. To state the obvious, don't flash any of the linked files on your cedric device.

Creating TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
    [Oreo]TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
    [Nougat]TWRP Flashable Stock Roms
    Fix Persist, resolve IMEI=0, Explanation, Requirements

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP Flashable Oreo, ROM for the Moto G5

Contributors
    NZedPred
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    Based On: Stock ROM

Version Information

Created 2018-08-11
    Last Updated 2019-06-04
    Build OPPS28.85-16-6 now available

Next build now available with February 2019 security patches.

cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-16-6.zip

Don't forget to hit thanks :)
    December 2018 security patches build available now

December 2018 security patch build is now available at AFH and Dropbox:

Android File Host - cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-13-4.zip
    Dropbox - cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-13-4.zip

Keep in mind I don't own this device, so if someone can test and let the group know it's working fine, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hit thanks if you appreciate this and want me to continue to contribute.
    @NZedPred there's another update out and probably the last one for this device
    https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar...ubsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
    Can you make it twrp flashable again? Many thanks

Sure, give me a day or two.