[Q] Confirm Stock HBOOT?

Search This thread

hjjfffaa

Apr 30, 2012
I converted my phone to a Developer Edition phone a while back, and in the process went S-OFF. I would like to S-ON, as I have read this removes the 'test device' status that apparently sends HTC information. I also read that going S-ON with a custom HBOOT is a very bad thing, but how do I tell if my HBOOT is custom? The top just reads M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH and the version is HBOOT 1.56.

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
I converted my phone to a Developer Edition phone a while back, and in the process went S-OFF. I would like to S-ON, as I have read this removes the 'test device' status that apparently sends HTC information. I also read that going S-ON with a custom HBOOT is a very bad thing, but how do I tell if my HBOOT is custom? The top just reads M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH and the version is HBOOT 1.56.

From Rumrunner documentation
How to get rid of S-OFF warnings
There are two visual differences that will indicate that your device is S-OFF (other than checking in the bootloader):
1. Go to Settings > About. You should see "Tell HTC and error reporting" option right under "Software updates".
If you don't see that option, then you're already using a custom ROM and you can skip this step. But if you see the "Tell HTC and error reporting" option, select it and scroll down to read a warning message in red text. The "Tell HTC" option is permanently enabled and cannot be turned off without flashing a custom ROM. If you are not comfortable with HTC collecting information from your device, you can load your custom recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik and install a custom ROM - the "Tell HTC and error reporting" option will be gone.
2. Boot up or restart your phone. In the boot splash screen, if you see a warning message in red text: "This build is for development purposes only..." you can remove it by flashing a custom hboot, now supplied by the developers of Rumrunner: http://rumrunner.us/hboots/. If your phone's firmware and carrier are not listed, the custom Hboots provided on the Rumrunner site will not work and you will likely brick your device. But you can look for other sources. Try this one: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2316726. Alternatively, you can request for a custom Rumrunner Hboot for your specific firmware and carrier. Instructions: Do fastboot getvar all and don't forget to remove your serialno and imei. Paste the info into an email. Upload your RUU or firmware.zip from OTA to dropbox and add link in email and don't forget to mention your carrier, if any. Send to: rumrunnerdevs@gmail.com. Then, check the Rumrunner Hboots page regularly for the update: http://rumrunner.us/hboots/.

hjjfffaa

Apr 30, 2012
From Rumrunner documentation
How to get rid of S-OFF warnings
There are two visual differences that will indicate that your device is S-OFF (other than checking in the bootloader):
1. Go to Settings > About. You should see "Tell HTC and error reporting" option right under "Software updates".
If you don't see that option, then you're already using a custom ROM and you can skip this step. But if you see the "Tell HTC and error reporting" option, select it and scroll down to read a warning message in red text. The "Tell HTC" option is permanently enabled and cannot be turned off without flashing a custom ROM. If you are not comfortable with HTC collecting information from your device, you can load your custom recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik and install a custom ROM - the "Tell HTC and error reporting" option will be gone.
2. Boot up or restart your phone. In the boot splash screen, if you see a warning message in red text: "This build is for development purposes only..." you can remove it by flashing a custom hboot, now supplied by the developers of Rumrunner: http://rumrunner.us/hboots/. If your phone's firmware and carrier are not listed, the custom Hboots provided on the Rumrunner site will not work and you will likely brick your device. But you can look for other sources. Try this one: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2316726. Alternatively, you can request for a custom Rumrunner Hboot for your specific firmware and carrier. Instructions: Do fastboot getvar all and don't forget to remove your serialno and imei. Paste the info into an email. Upload your RUU or firmware.zip from OTA to dropbox and add link in email and don't forget to mention your carrier, if any. Send to: rumrunnerdevs@gmail.com. Then, check the Rumrunner Hboots page regularly for the update: http://rumrunner.us/hboots/.
I'm aware of these options, but would rather not have anything custom to worry about. According to this a custom ROM or HBOOT is the only way to actually disable the reporting while keeping S-OFF, which I do not care to keep.

hjjfffaa

Apr 30, 2012
I'm aware of these options, but would rather not have anything custom to worry about. According to this a custom ROM or HBOOT is the only way to actually disable the reporting while keeping S-OFF, which I do not care to keep.

Bump. Just need to know if I have the hboot for the Developer Edition so I can run the RUU and S-ON, or where I could find it. Been searching.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011

You understand correctly.

If you *really* object to the Tell HTC reporting *and* you do not wish to run a custom ROM, S-ON may be your only choice, and I have to say I personally would never S-ON not even for warranty repair.

As you correctly concluded, going S-ON with a custom HBOOT is fatal. If there is no question (ie you had total control over the phone during its entire lifetime and prefect memory of what you did to it), just go S-ON . Odds are, unless you *know* you flashed a custom HBOOT (which is invariably for the sole purpose of getting rid of annoying red warning text), you have a stock HBOOT. Life is short. It's only a phone. Just flash.

If you're *not* sure what HBOOT you may have flashed, the best way to prevent disaster is to just take total control of the situation and manually flash a stock HBOOT yourself just before attempting S-ON. There are plenty of threads that have the zip files you need. One caveat, a failed HBOOT flash is also fatal, so start with a fully charged battery and if you see "FAILED" during flashing, be sure NOT to reboot the phone before you fix it and confirm success.

Or, as suggested above, just RUU. Drastic, but failsafe.

Note *any* stock HBOOT, regardless of version, will allow the phone to boot after S-ON, although good style dictates you use one of the same vintage as all the other firmware and software you are running.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: hjjfffaa

hjjfffaa

Apr 30, 2012

Thank for taking all the time to write this up. Am I to gather from this sentence here that an RUU will reinstall the stock HBOOT? I'm not bothered about wiping the phone since I am not keeping it and already have all of my data backed up. I have had total control of the phone, the only problem was that I was getting android-info parse errors trying to run the Developer Edition RUU with the stock, but S-OFF, HBOOT. Someone provided an HBOOT for me that apparently had the correct android-info setup and it worked perfectly.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Well, yes, RUU touches every partition and puts each one back exactly the way HTC approves of, including the partition containing HBOOT. (And the write method it uses is safer than flashing things manually.)

But you have already observed it can be a pain to get RUU's to succeed sometimes. In your case, S-OFF helps greatly so you should eventually be able to run a RUU just fine. If, in the process, you change your CID to "SuperCID" (11111111) be sure to change it back to your phone's real CID before going S-ON. S-ON is the absolute last step in any procedure you are contemplating.

Reactions: hjjfffaa

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bump. Just need to know if I have the hboot for the Developer Edition so I can run the RUU and S-ON, or where I could find it. Been searching.

After running the RUU you know for sure you have stock hboot because the RUU installs it

I still can't recommend s-on for any reason

You understand correctly.

If you *really* object to the Tell HTC reporting *and* you do not wish to run a custom ROM, S-ON may be your only choice, and I have to say I personally would never S-ON not even for warranty repair.

As you correctly concluded, going S-ON with a custom HBOOT is fatal. If there is no question (ie you had total control over the phone during its entire lifetime and prefect memory of what you did to it), just go S-ON . Odds are, unless you *know* you flashed a custom HBOOT (which is invariably for the sole purpose of getting rid of annoying red warning text), you have a stock HBOOT. Life is short. It's only a phone. Just flash.

If you're *not* sure what HBOOT you may have flashed, the best way to prevent disaster is to just take total control of the situation and manually flash a stock HBOOT yourself just before attempting S-ON. There are plenty of threads that have the zip files you need. One caveat, a failed HBOOT flash is also fatal, so start with a fully charged battery and if you see "FAILED" during flashing, be sure NOT to reboot the phone before you fix it and confirm success.

Note *any* stock HBOOT, regardless of version, will allow the phone to boot after S-ON, although good style dictates you use one of the same vintage as all the other firmware and software you are running.

Well, yes, RUU touches every partition and puts each one back exactly the way HTC approves of, including the partition containing HBOOT. (And the write method it uses is safer than flashing things manually.)

But you have already observed it can be a pain to get RUU's to succeed sometimes. In your case, S-OFF helps greatly so you should eventually be able to run a RUU just fine. If, in the process, you change your CID to "SuperCID" (11111111) be sure to change it back to your phone's real CID before going S-ON. S-ON is the absolute last step in any procedure you are contemplating.