Use Your Android (Galaxy S) as an HD webcam!

Search This thread
The title states this can be used as an HD Webcam... I tried the standard HD resolution (From Wikipedia: 720p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes having a resolution of 1280×720) but with this resolution the app FC's which it states it does if not setup correctly. The highest resolution I can goto is 480x480, going any higher on either height or width causes distortion in the picture. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting this to be HD?

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
The title states this can be used as an HD Webcam... I tried the standard HD resolution (From Wikipedia: 720p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes having a resolution of 1280×720) but with this resolution the app FC's which it states it does if not setup correctly. The highest resolution I can goto is 480x480, going any higher on either height or width causes distortion in the picture. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting this to be HD?
At least you can get it to work. I used the recommended settings, it still wants me to force close; even in 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7, it only shows the DroidCam logo in the Skype video area.

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
AFAIK it is only wifi, what I meant is could it be the pc isn't "seeing" the phone over the network?
Well the phone connected, the PC says "Connected". I could only get the phone to connect once though. Once I've connected and disconnected by a force close, the program no longer connected even when I can telnet into the computer on that port. This happened to all 3 computers I tried.

Well the phone connected, the PC says "Connected". I could only get the phone to connect once though. Once I've connected and disconnected by a force close, the program no longer connected even when I can telnet into the computer on that port. This happened to all 3 computers I tried.

Hmm, that is rather weird, even after the FC's for me it still works, I just lowered the resolution. All I can think of is telling the dev about it and see if they can help or if someone else here can help. I don't know that much about the way this works really.

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
Hmm, that is rather weird, even after the FC's for me it still works, I just lowered the resolution. All I can think of is telling the dev about it and see if they can help or if someone else here can help. I don't know that much about the way this works really.
Oddly enough, I think I could try it via EasyTether and see since that /is/ an Ethernet connection meaning it will work to connect by IP.

Saturn2888

Oct 19, 2008
Ah I see, well give it a try and tell me if that works please, because I'd quite like to be able to use something like that rather than over wifi.
I confirmed it worked. Thanks for the idea :p. Well; you didn't quite give me the idea but you helped me come up with it ;).

Although, the same issue is happening with the transport something.

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Im having an issue. After using for over 10minutes straight I get a time limit error message on my pc screen and it drops the connection and im forced to restart both apps on phone and pc. Help?

Also I cant go above recommended settings. Would this be updated in the future? especially since my phone is capable of recording 720p?

Tmo G2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.dev47apps.com/

Yeah this app works great, goes over wfi and simple enough to set up. Works wonderfully with msn! Since i dont have a webcam, my i9000m can be used instead! No streaming audio atm but soon the devs say :D