[EC09][MODEM][ODIN] EC09 Radio/Modem for Odin

How is EC09 compared to ED04 (modem-wise)?

• EC09 is better!

Votes: 116 38.7%
  • They are about the same.

Votes: 28 9.3%
  • ED04 is better!

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 137 45.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jjcas15

Jan 25, 2011
Bay Area
Flashed this earlier today, about 8hrs ago. Have noticed much better signal strength. Actually have 4 full bars!! Nothing bad to say about it so far...(knock on wood)

jami2976

Apr 8, 2011
maybe a usb issue...

um for some reason i cant flash this.... it alwaise fails... tried like 30 times now literally 30 fcken times

I had a similar issue once before while i was playing around with my friends charge, while in ODIN put the phone in download mode then put your battery back in your phone and uncheck auto reboot, after successful flash and reset flashes in ODIN unplug the phone and power it on, I think it might be something with your USB not getting enough power at least that is what happened to me...hope it helps :D

mrjake1970

Dec 31, 2010
Cleveland
I flashed this last night coming from ED04 which was the slowest i experieinced.

No change in signal for me, however my download speeds are flying now..faster than any modem i have flashed yet..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

ssewk2x

Oct 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
um for some reason i cant flash this.... it alwaise fails... tried like 30 times now literally 30 fcken times

Make sure your usb port gives enough power to run your phone without the battery. Do this by removing your battery before plugging it in, then power on your phone to download mode and do the odin stuff without the batt.

The internal flash memory probably requires a little extra power from the usb port in order to be erased and programmed properly. This was also very likely an intentional design decision.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

jptech7

I had a similar issue once before while i was playing around with my friends charge, while in ODIN put the phone in download mode then put your battery back in your phone and uncheck auto reboot, after successful flash and reset flashes in ODIN unplug the phone and power it on, I think it might be something with your USB not getting enough power at least that is what happened to me...hope it helps :D
Do that, and also make sure the md5 checksum is correct as that will screw somethings up. Try re-downloading if that is an issue.

M00NEY

Dec 18, 2010
DMV
^^^ was about to say the same...

And now a fast later, I have to say that it seems that this modem has in fact had a positive impact on battery life as well...

Very pleased here...

Swyped...

Jmatch

Feb 12, 2011
Im sorry if this has been answered but does this only work on the gingerbread leakk

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

zakth

Dec 4, 2010
This is the first modem release that I have noticed a major difference from. At home I was getting about 2 bars (with a signal booster) and now I get a full signal. At work I would get a full signal if I was in the front of the building but in the back of the building I got nothing, now I get two 2 bars in the back - so that's great! As for speeds I have not noticed it being any faster but that could have to do with the load on my cell towers. What I do know is I am getting a better signal and my battery is lasting longer. So kudos to this modem.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Working just fine for me on Comm ROM 2.0. 3G data speeds are better and cell signal strength is better by anywhere from 5 to 10 dBm.

Kaze105

Dec 11, 2010
After flashing, ping decreased by 10 and speeds increased by around 300kbps. From 1609 to 1906 kbps for download

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Unless you were pinging your phone from somewhere else ping times are meaningless to your phone. When you ping an IP address or DNS name you are seeing how long the packet takes to 'route' to your destination and come back (the packet). Your phone simple reports back the roundtrip time. It's a crude measure of latency of the network and server that you pinged. Has zero to do with your phone's radio performance. I guess unless you are pinging the loopback address and seeing an improvement. But even that does not measure performance of your radio since you did not Xmit anything.

Kaze105

Dec 11, 2010
Unless you were pinging your phone from somewhere else ping times are meaningless to your phone. When you ping an IP address or DNS name you are seeing how long the packet takes to 'route' to your destination and come back (the packet). Your phone simple reports back the roundtrip time. It's a crude measure of latency of the network and server that you pinged. Has zero to do with your phone's radio performance. I guess unless you are pinging the loopback address and seeing an improvement. But even that does not measure performance of your radio since you did not Xmit anything.

Around a mile difference in terms of location, but Ive always had lower download and upload speeds compared to after flashing. Never really checked my pings so it probably could have been always had a difference of 10, so I only checked and wrote my last 2 speedtest numbers from before and after flashing EC09 radio/modem.

notoriousB

Dec 17, 2010
signal strength seems to be better, gonna use this for a while and see how it goes.

Last edited:

desertdog

Oct 5, 2010
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Just installed on my phone to see if would help on the missed calls:(
Did the *228-1 and *228-2 let phone reboot and go to sleep. Called from
my from home phone and the fasc. just sat there until it went to voice mail.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Ping high?

So, flashed EC06 modem..odin hung after modem.bin..had to pull battery...got the wired phone ...yellow arrow ...computer icon..managed to get into recovery, reboot to download, flashed ok...rebooted

So I ran speedtest.net app and noticed ping is around 121ms..getting varying readings of up and down 148kB/s down 104 kB/s up...ran a second a go ping was 157 with down of somewhere around 250Kb/s and up around 175kB/s which is the highest I have seen it..

Is the ping supposed to be that high? i don't remember it being near that high before..but I didn't think to run speedtest app before flashing new modem...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

This is just the modem (radio) file for ODIN. This way you can download this modem separate from the all-in-one ODIN. At this time, I would recommend this modem, but I would NOT recommend the EC09 ROM as it is buggy.

To extract this file, you will need 7zip. It is one of the best zip/LZMA/tar programs for Windows. http://www.7-zip.org/

Instructions
    1. Download 7zip from the link: http://www.7-zip.org/
    2. Download ODIN if you haven't. http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/Odin3v1.3.exe
    3. Download the package below, and extract it with 7zip.
    4. Open ODIN, and connect your device with the battery out while holding the volume down key.
    5. Click PDA, and select the .tar.md5 file you extracted.
    6. Click Start, and it should flash to your phone.
    7. Put battery back in, and {optional} via Clockwork Mod flash NAMELESS v4 or whatever custom TW Gingerbread ROM you wish! jt1134's CM7, andmer's MIUI, or your ROM of choice.

MD5
    ec09-modem.tar.md5.7z = 5ffd2b3ce243948493de400c61230435

Thanks to...
    P3Droid for the EC09 Gingerbread Leak
    vegittoss15 for pointing out that my checksum was screwed up

Thanks in general to...
    Adrynalyne
    nemesis2all
    jt1134
    imnuts
    TSM (sbrissen)
    navenedrob
    and the other devs & irc crew

UPDATE: I added a poll on what you think about EC09's modem.

UPDATE 2: It is recommended to use this modem when running jt1134's CM7 (and I assume andmer's MIUI). Certain things will either not work or not be stable if you use ED-series modems on CM7 mtd due to jt using parts of EC09.

Happy Flashing,
    JP Tech
    I switched to EC09 and I noticed a significant difference in signal as well as battery, both for the better! Still have the low in-call volume issue but I think it helped out a tad? Or perhaps placebo effect, I dunno?
    Anyway, I suppose I'll stick with it until something else is addressed through Glitch kernal!?!? Or unless anyone has any ideas?

The EC09 modem shouldn't be the cause of in-call volume change. That is due to our current version of AOSP. The modem does, however, make a difference in the signal department, and the majority of people that I've talked to like the EC09 modem better than ED-series modems. At the moment, I'm running MIUI with EC09 modem and Glitch (medium leakage) as the kernel with an overclock to 1.2Ghz & undervolt on all clocks. It works great for me, and it is super smooth.

Offtopic: This is my 100th post!
    I don't have an old phone. I called Verizon and told them to do an ESN swap and they gave me the -dog who had his food changed- look. Said it was impossible to swap an ESN because it was tied to the specific phone. Thanks for the input regardless.

You are changing the device registered to your account.. .not the actual ESN of the phone...swapping phones on your account changes the ESN registered to your account , re-activating it resets it in Verizon's database...

You have to talk to level 2 support(or whatever they call it)..but it all depends on who you get...most of the time they screw you over...tell them you have read on-line and have a legit/documented problem and insist they do an ESN swap(also called a DMU reset)...They DO have the capability of activating a dummy or test device to your account, then re-activating your phone..I know..because I had this done!!!...took about 6 different calls to tec support till I finally got someone to admit to it and to do it and guess what? It worked!...had no more problems..

If getting Verizon to help you won't work, then the only other options I see are:

Find an old Verizon phone for dirt cheap or ask a friend or something for one...

Complain to Verizon enough that the phone you have is defective and have it replaced...a replacement phone(even same model) will have a different ESN.

You can try to de-activate the phone you have..wait an hour or two...then re-activate it..that may work...

This story plays out many times in the threads I mentioned in previous post..

Hope things work out..

EDIT: Be ware!! As of July 7, Verizon has changed to tiered data plans...if call Verizon to do an ESN swap or DMU reset, you will lose your unlimited data plan, as this process removes the smartphone from the line. Also, if you activate a standard or feature phone temporarily, then re-activate your smartphone, you will also loose the unlimited data and be stuck paying $30 for 2gb. You have to use another smartphone ESN to do the swap...basically a smartphone always has to be on your line in order to keep your unlimited plan. Call Verizon if you have any question or concerns about how to keep your unlimited data.
    No problem, I'm just giving back to the community!
    Hi all,

Does anybody have a non-7z version of the EC09 radio? My computer is not letting me install 7z utility.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA

Here is a link for all the modems I have. They're zipped together, but it's regular zip format so you should be able to unzip it.

http://db.tt/p1KFrI1b

~~~~There is no spoon~~~~