[ROM] "Semi-Official" 2.3.4 rooted "stock" for P999 devices - LG Camera update

Search This thread

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I rebooted my computer and phone and now Bluetooth is working. I think there was just something messed up on my computer. So I can safely say Bluetooth is working. i will try pairing a headset later.

Reactions: zgjbeta

jose makalolot

Aug 21, 2009
Florida
I rebooted my computer and phone and now Bluetooth is working. I think there was just something messed up on my computer. So I can safely say Bluetooth is working. i will try pairing a headset later.

BT headset works for me...

Tested on Backbeat 903, Arctic Cooler P311 and Emerson em510.

***on the power off, yes I have seen verizon also, same thing in 2.3.3.

mojorisin7178

USB tethering

Hey whats up Jboxer I tried USB tethering and it works great. Actually really great. It is connected to my computer at 412.3 Gbps. Yeah Gbps thats just how fast the info transfers between my computer and the phone. I really never use usb tethering but I do use the hotspot. The actual speed was over 18 mbps which is great for tmobile in my area. If I use usb tethering and I am rooted does it use my data? I read somewhere that if you are rooted and you tether or use the hotspot it wont use your data but I think the hotspot does but i dont know about the usb tether Anyway thats not for this thread sorry. This ROM kicks ass good job man. Might I suggest status bar tweeks? I think every rom should have that feature.

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
Does this have the T-Mobile GPS settings/fix? If not, could you add it next time please?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Hey whats up Jboxer I tried USB tethering and it works great. Actually really great. It is connected to my computer at 412.3 Gbps. Yeah Gbps thats just how fast the info transfers between my computer and the phone. I really never use usb tethering but I do use the hotspot. The actual speed was over 18 mbps which is great for tmobile in my area. If I use usb tethering and I am rooted does it use my data? I read somewhere that if you are rooted and you tether or use the hotspot it wont use your data but I think the hotspot does but i dont know about the usb tether Anyway thats not for this thread sorry. This ROM kicks ass good job man. Might I suggest status bar tweeks? I think every rom should have that feature.

G2x has a max theoretical speed of 14.4Mbps downlink :rolleyes:

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok

My computer keeps resetting the USB connection when I enable tethering, and as soon as the USB link is broken tethering stops. I don't know why my computer is doing that. I even tried reinstalling the LG Driver package. There must be something I installed on my computer interfering with the driver. I wish I could figure out what it is. Thanks for letting me know tethering is working.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this behavior? If I plug the phone into usb in the device driver I can see the LG modem. As soon as I click on "Tether" the phone says Tethered in the notification window and then immediately the USB resets and tethering turns off, and my phone acts like I just plugged it into the usb. I don't use wired tether but want to make sure everything is working, and this type of thing annoys me.

G2x has a max theoretical speed of 14.4Mbps downlink :rolleyes:

Nope, that is not correct. The G2X has a max download capability of 21Mbps.

Does this have the T-Mobile GPS settings/fix? If not, could you add it next time please?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

The GPS works fine as it is. I am not planning on making any changes. The rom is rooted you can just use Root Explorer and edit the build.prop right on the phone yourself. Make sure to make a copy of it first.

Last edited:

FeloHFP

Oct 26, 2011
excuse me for my ignorance but what is the difference between 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 apart that you can use video chat in Google ( or something like that )
Thanks

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
Nice job jboxer!

I also appreciate you posting the kernel. I hope all the devs follow your example. Having the kernel available makes testing and trying different things feel a little safer.

wakeboarder8156

Jan 31, 2010
This rom is using the 2.3.4 kernel. I am getting the same or slightly better battery life then I did with stock 2.3.3. What apps do you have running.

Not much to update. Want to keep as close to stock as possible. Just want to get wired tether working and the rom is essentially complete.

Well aren't the "smart one" lol.

I had sync on the first day to get all my data, but mainly just use messaging,email, stocks, and either words by post or friends. I can get maybe 7-8hours on a charge. Hopefully a couple of charge cycles will change this.

Keep up the good work, very smooth and very stable. puts 2.3.3 to shame on this device!

Last edited:

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
This rom is the fastest I ever used. Gonna use this for awhile!
I needed a good stock rom because I dont like not being able to use the internal sd as the main for apps and stuff. I like my ext has a media only thing

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
This rom is the fastest I ever used. Gonna use this for awhile!
I needed a good stock rom because I dont like not being able to use the internal sd as the main for apps and stuff. I like my ext has a media only thing

I think the main reason it is fast is because it doesn't have a lot of bloat apps running in the background.

Have you tried the USB tethering yet? I need input from as many people as possible if this works or not.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
i dont know I never used usb tethering.

Can you try it out please. Just connect USB cable to phone and computer. Of course, you have to have the LG driver package installed. Then go to settings, wireless and networks, tehtering and portable hotspot and click on USB tethering. Does it stay connected or does it connect and then immediately disconnect due to the usb port resetting? I need people to try this and report back on whether it stays connected or resets.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
does this have the LG Framework on it?

IF you are referring to the LG UI, no it does not. This is based on a rom built by LG for Tracfone's L95G evaluation units. It is a very clean, vanilla Android, bloatfree rom that I have modified to get working on our devices, plus some cosmetic changes. The changes I have made (I might have forgot some) are:

Restored mobile hotspot functionality (Tracfone had it removed
also restore USB tethering but unsure if it is working (need testers)
Changed apn file to support auto setting of virtually all gsm carriers worldwide
Change bootup and power down animation to those of non-carrier LG phones
Made a version to add T-Mobile wifi calling for people that want/need this
Changes to build.prop to get everything running correctly on P999
the original L95G rom had a lot of functionality removed for Tracfone
Other small changes here and there to get it working smoothly

zgjbeta

Dec 12, 2007
www.computercityservice.com
IF you are referring to the LG UI, no it does not. This is based on a rom built by LG for Tracfone's L95G evaluation units. It is a very clean, vanilla Android, bloatfree rom that I have modified to get working on our devices, plus some cosmetic changes. The changes I have made (I might have forgot some) are:

Restored mobile hotspot functionality (Tracfone had it removed
also restore USB tethering but unsure if it is working (need testers)
Changed apn file to support auto setting of virtually all gsm carriers worldwide
Change bootup and power down animation to those of non-carrier LG phones
Made a version to add T-Mobile wifi calling for people that want/need this
Changes to build.prop to get everything running correctly on P999
the original L95G rom had a lot of functionality removed for Tracfone
Other small changes here and there to get it working smoothly

Installed the rom works great as expected the Carrier Notification Text (T-Mobile) isnt there. Havent tried bluetooth but expecting that to work i rarely use it anyways. Surprisingly tethering works im actually usb-tethered right now. It is a bit odd however i had to unplug the phone a couple of times and my win 7 x64 is still installing the drivers for it (the little icon by the tray bar is still circling) it is still installing the CDC Ethernet Control Module Driver and that hasnt stopped but like i said my usb tethering is working. One thing i found strange this time around unlike all the other roms the Wifi Calling works i can make calls but the icon doesnt show up on the tray nor is there one on the app drawer. So a bit different but still worth it i think. Id like to see all of these working so anything i can do to help just PM me. I can deff test for you as often as i can.

Edit: Ok failed to install previous mentioned drivers. I do have internet though, as i have disabled wifi and have no other wired connection to the laptop i.e (RJ45). The icon at the bottom of my screen shows a wired connection connected to Local Area Connection 3 which is the name of the LG Connection and that i have internet access.

Is this cam better than flak0's Cam V 3.0? A family member of mine installed your rom as well but also the v3.0 cam from flak0. When we used GTalk he could see my cam which is the stock that came with this rom but his cam was distorted maybe a bit laggy. We were both on wifi when making the call.

Nonetheless, THANK YOU! Your work is greatly appreciated we understand the time it takes to do the work you do and for that i thank you personally!

Last edited:

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
Surprisingly tethering works im actually usb-tethered right now.

So when you are tethering does the box stay checked in settings and in the notification bar there is a blue icon showing tethering is connected?

My phone connects to the computer and immediately resets the usb and disconnects. I cannot get tethering to stay connected. I even tried wiping and flashing new and it did the same thing on two different Windows 7 computers ( 32 bit). Maybe it is a 32 bit Windows issue? I need more people to test usb tethering so I can figure out what is going on? I don't think my usb port is bad as it works for everything else such as adb, mass storage, etc. This is a strange issue.

As far as icons missing in UMA, etc. it is probably that something is missing from the framework files as Tracfone wanted all these features removed. I need to figure out what and put it back in if I can. The carrier name issue is perplexing also as in Thailand my carrier shows. Need to figure out why U.S. carriers don't show and fix that also.

mojorisin7178

Jboxer I just reinstalled windows to factory I do that once in a while that might ne why it worked for me. If you want you should give that a try it might help if not go to howtogeek.com it is a fourm like xda they can definitely help you with any PC or Mac problems you have. I also found that some USB wires are temperamental and give a problem hooking up to my PC.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] "Semi-Official" 2.3.4 rooted "stock" for P999 devices - LG Camera update

Update: November 6, 2011 @ 9:43 p.m. ICT
    LG Camera added. I have ported the LG Camera from the P990 2.3.4 build and as far as I can tell it is working perfectly. Below is a flashable zip updater for CWM. It clears the Dalvik Cache so the reboot will take several minutes. Enjoy! Note: The front facing camera (FFC) is inverting the video. At the moment there is no fix for it. If you need the FFC for video chat, etc. please keep the stock camera app.

Updater to add LG Camera to JB 2.3.4 rom
    Download link: http://www.multiupload.com/MK1C5U055A
    MD5 checksum: 4bf6bbdaa14584783ee5b4f2f927b7f​

Note: If you want to access LG Hidden Menus on this rom you need to enter 1809#*95# into the dialer since the rom was ported from an LG-L95G device (the hardware is identical to the P999).

UPDATE - November 5, 2001 @ 19:58 ICT
    Version 6b uploaded. Should fix issue of rom not being rooted OOTB.

UPDATE - November 4, 2001 @ 20:28 ICT
    Version 6a uploaded. Modified framework-res.apk to remove Tracfone default apn for T-Mobile and Simple Mobile users.

UPDATE - NoveMber 2, 2001 @ 10:38 a.m. ICT
    Links for version 6 are below. Major changes are power up and down animations changed to stock LG (no carrier branding) and MobileHotspot and USB tethering are now working.

UPDATE - October 31, 2011 @ 1:14 a.m. ICT
    This is a rom made from official LG 2.3.4 from an LG-L95G, which is the same hardware as the P999 but made for Tracfone. I rooted it, added the Recovery 2X rebooter and other changes to get it working on the P999 and rebrand it it T-Mobile, rather than Tracfone. Known issues are listed below (very few). The rom appears to be very stable (so far no reboots of SODs).

Everything is now working, including wifi. This is based on a ROM built by LG for the Tracfone lg_l95G (same hardware and partitions as the p999), so it is essentially "stock" 2.3.4 for the P999 devices.

Flash using Clockwordmod Recovery (must be installed first) and the first time you flash it I would sugget a factory reset, clear Dalvik Cache (advanced in CWM) and format the system (mounts and storage in CWM). Any revisions flashed will just require a wipe of the Dalvik Cache to be safe, as you should do for any changes to any system file. This rom uses the ext3 file system.

P999 2.3.4 rooted stock v. 6b
    Download link: http://www.multiupload.com/3GHWHREW44
    MD5 checksum: 8c7da08102f328df9be61e4382713e1f

Flash with Clockworkmod Recovery (needs to be installed first). Wipe everything and format your system the first time you flash. If you are updating you just need to wipe the Dalvik Cache between flashes.

Kernel experimenters

Here is a flashable zip to restore the 2.3.4 kernel and wireless.ko so you can play around with kernels and flash back without resorting to a full nandroid restore.

Download link restore stock kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/HDVYTM4IOY
    MD5 checksum: 4ae089d340efbe3d1f1e76c84c52c48b

Enjoy.

Simple Mobile Version of v. 6b
    This has an apns-conf.xml for virtually all worldwide carriers, which the exception of MCC=310, MNC=260 will set the APN automatically for Simple Mobile settings, rather than T-Mobile's settings. I feel for you guys.

Download link: http://www.multiupload.com/P6CRA3V8D3
    MD5 checksum: e7bd336a22766e777f8b898181d210cd

UMA version for T-Mobile wifi calling features of v. 6b
    Download link: http://www.multiupload.com/KSLY90SFDG
    MD5 checksum: c9189e7df67d38c7be18cc150db084ac

Known Issues:

Om T-Mobile you are connected but no carrier name in notification pull down. Other carriers are shown.

Swype keyboard not working when text is swiped. Can only be entered one letter at a time.

Original Post:

I have made an experimental ROM using Android 2.3.4 built by LG for the LG-L95G, which is the same hardware as the P999 built for Tracfone (Simple Mobile). It has not been released yet but an XDA member who has one imaged his ROM. I have based this ROM on this and the rooted OTA ROM made by Xboarder. This rom should be rooted and has no TMO bloatware.

This is a flashable zip to be flashed in Clockworkmod Recovery. I would suggest wiping everything first to be safe. Please report back on whether it boots and how stable it is. I have not flashed it myself yet as my G2X is my primary device right now and I have not flashed it yet.

Caveat: This is experimental and buyer beware. As always I am not responsible if you brick your device, boot loop, etc. as you have been warned. This should be flashed by experienced flashers only. No NOOBS please!

I made up my own version number "GRJB54" and removed Tracfone's lame boot animation and put back the T-Mobile one. I also added back T-Mobile's ringtone (not default) for people that like it. Other changes I made was putting the flex provider back to T-Mobile USA, rather than Americamovil. Tracfone also had LG disable tethering in the build.prop. I re-enabled it.

Have fun!

Archive for historical purposes.

P999 2.3.4 rooted stock v. 6b
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/B7GBSX9N8T
    MD5 checksum: d5543303965ac3bae0e828d15f5d0c57

Simple Mobile Version of v. 6a
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/YCUERA9GR2
    MF5 checksum: d76055827a6a3d9b4827aabce31426d3

UMA version for T-Mobile wifi calling features of v. 6a
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/64FPXZ69Q0
    MD5 checksum: 90abe77affc3022152a4c07b21f25434

Version 6
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/G092G40RU1
    MD 5 checksum: adb67594cb1339415daf530e60905dc4

Version 6 – Simple Mobile
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/59VBAWRE0H
    MF5 checksum: bf86f6b037338a90fbbf2c7193a8fa92

Version 6 – T-Mobile UMA
    Download URL: http://www.multiupload.com/NMI4EY0R7F
    MD5 checksum: 77dac17f4ed64abf653a0d65c9ffc195

Version 5
    Download Link: http://www.multiupload.com/K0KHY56528
    MD5 Checksum: 7ccfe82a91feaf3f63b50d0c9d9d384a

Version 5 for Simple Mobile users
    Download Link: http://www.multiupload.com/0QT44U3C4Q
    MD5 Checksum: df4bd0ee267a68366a4f868da5d24074

Attempts # 3 and 4: Flashed by myself, tested and not uploaded. Wifi was still broken.

Attempt # 2 (added in missing RIL files) - Everything works except for wifi.
    Download link: http://www.multiupload.com/LVTF9BE00B
    MD5 Checksum: b1f9d5dd4451db816a8eac22350d6626

Attempt # 1 (no signal - baseband unknown)
    Download Link: http://www.multiupload.com/JB734NKRC6
    MD5 Checksum: 0ba6f773815760602c5bbc7c4b8e03cf
    Version 6 - Tethering, Mobile HotSpot and UMA version for TMO customers

Okay, I mobile hot spot working. I also believe UMA (wifi calling is working for TMO). Tethering is connecting but then immediately disconnecting. I will work on getting this working also. There was an obscure file missing I found by just going through all the files in both roms. This file is what was preventing mobile hotspot from running. I will build it without UMA but have a UMA version for people that want this feature.

Also, the new version has LG boot animation and power down screens. I think most people would prefer these over T-Mobile or Wind. If you want that back it is easy to do and we can have flashable zips to rebrand your device if you want.

I am uploading v. 6 now. There will be three version as listed below. The uploads will take a while so I might not be able to post links for about ten hours or so as it is time to go to bed in my part of the world.

v.6 - Mobile HotSpot enabled. LG boot and power down screens. (Tethering on menu but broken)
    v. 6 Simple Mobile - Same as above but with apn settings for Simple Mobile.
    v. 6 T-Mobile - Same as regular above but with UMA added for WiFi calling.

Links will be added to top post when ready.

Coming Soon: Flashable zips to restore boot animation and power down animation for T-Mobile and Wind Mobile.
    RESERVED

Reserved....
    I have a new version where WiFi works. It was a kernel issue. I used the boot.img from the LG-L95G (was using old kernel) and now the second animated boot animation is back also. For me it is just putting my Thai carriers APN settings. I put an apns-conf.xml that has virtually all GSM carriers in the world. The phone will just autoset APN based on sim inserted. The new version has many changes. I will make a special version soon for Simple Mobile users. Uploading now.

Here are some screengrabs to look at while it is uploading.
    Removed per your request.

Thanks. It would have been nice if you had contacted me first and we could have worked together to add features. I've seen this happen in other threads and they just go off on tangents all over the place and the thread loses its focus. If you want to make your own version I suggest starting with the base rom and start a new thread. Here is the link to the image.

http://www.multiupload.com/UQIEM5G9H6

Also, here is the tutorial on how to port the Quickpanel to a GB rom.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1087858