Rooting the HTC Hero/G2..(success)

Search This thread

trice1921

Sep 3, 2008
If you flashed the generic rom from the link you mentioned then your phone should not be rooted anymore. to verify, you can utilize the adb command from the SDK to open a shell on the phone, and then type 'su'. If your phone is not rooted, you should recieve the following response:

su: permission denied

If the prompt changes from a '$' to a '#' then you are still rooted. By flashing to the original rom then HTC should have no way of knowing that the phone was rooted before, unless you tell them.

:D Thank you so much. I get permission denied so it must not be rooted anymore. But what about the fact that i can get into "Cyanogen’s Hero Recovery Image", would this invalidate my warrenty? How do i remove it?

tembares

Has anybody been able to root the hero after installing the Sep. 11 rom update from HTC? When I go thru the steps after updating the phone I am unable to boot into the nandroid image. I recieve the following 'Error'
downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

Thanks in advance.

You are not the only one.
I have the same issue. I am going to see if there is another way to root my device. Nothing found :mad:

This is my output:
bla@Eva:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ ./fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img
bla@Eva:~/AndroidSDK/tools$

Last edited:

packetlss

Aug 10, 2009
You are not the only one.
I have the same issue. I am going to see if there is another way to root my device. Nothing found :mad:

This is my output:
bla@Eva:~/AndroidSDK/tools$ ./fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img
bla@Eva:~/AndroidSDK/tools$

Look at the sticky on top of this very section:
"If you flashed the original RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5 and got the new hboot"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559613

etecdailey

Apr 28, 2006
Warsaw
www.kokein.pl
Q:

Is it ok to do this rooting procedure in recovery mode? What i mean is:

- Turn phone off
- Turn it on with pressed Home+EndCall
- Entering moded recovery console allready flashed with FlashRec.apk
- Connect to USB (drivers found)
- Enter CMD Line
- cd to Android SDK Tools

adb shell mount /system
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot

?

Narkaulov

Nov 4, 2008
Helsingborg
Rooted with Stock update

Well, after some research, and more research, I finally came upon a thread at another site describing a way one should be able to still root the hero after applying the latest stock update from HTC. After a little testing, and trial and error I finally got my hero rooted again. Per the post I read, I installed flashrec, and tried to let it download and install a recovery image for me. Though that did not work for some reason. But by placing the nandroid image (cm-1.4) on my sdcard, and pointing flashrec to it, I was able to then hold down POWER+HOME and boot into nandroid as before, just without fastboot. From there it was the simple process of copying over the su and the Superuser.apk files, followed by a reboot, as listed earlier in this thread.

Hope this helps anybody that had the same problem of not being able to use fastboot to boot the recovery image after updating with the stock rom.

gurry

Jun 26, 2006
success

and if i can do it anyone can.

type fast and check your spellling and you will be fine.

gurry

cokbok

Jan 21, 2009
C:\Windows\system32>adb shell mount /system
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

why would i get this error?

When I say "fastboot devices", i have my device listed. That means the phone is in fastboot mode. I also have RA's custom recovery image flashed permenantly if that matters. And never rooted before :)

Thank you.

imokablak

Sep 23, 2009
hiiii im new 2 this plz help!!!???

i have the android g2 and wut iz fast boot???
also im on a mac do i follow the same???

Worked on Orange Hero

Booted This recovery IMG on my hero via fastboot -

1) restart into bootloader (switch on holding the back button)

2) Extract the above image into your android SDK/tools folder

3) Download Superuser.zip and extract the contents to your SDK/tools folder.

4) Plug in USB

5) open CMD prompt from teh tools directory and type the following command> fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img
(you should now enter a recovery console on the handset)

6)then type the following commands in CMD exactly as they are here, hitting enter for a new line.

adb shell mount /system
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot

Congratulations you now have root access..

Download "Root Boot" from the app store (this will only work if you have root!)

Step 6 modified thanks to ENLIGHTENER, cheers, su whitelist working nicely now..

Please be carefull! I accept no liability!

Thanks to Dayzee [URL="http://forum.xda-

FYI, To unroot you will have to either restore an earlier backup or flash a stock rom..... :cool:

prnull

Sep 26, 2007
@Dayzee
superb guide! Had no problems what so ever flashing Modacos rom.

There are som broken links in the guide dayzee wrote. I'v added the fresh links for the MoDaCo Custom Rom v2.3 and new radio below. Also the recoveryimage by Cyanogen and Stock ROMs.

Links kudos to Android@Modaco Forum:
Modacos Custom ROM
STOCK ROM + RADIO
Cyanogen RecoveryImage (with permanent install instructions)

Thanx

Last edited:

wagjj

Sep 7, 2009
if some have test this mothod on G2 32A with office sense rom?
if we can use this mode to get the root right after g2 have flashed the lastest offical sense rom for G2?

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
if some have test this mothod on G2 32A with office sense rom?
if we can use this mode to get the root right after g2 have flashed the lastest offical sense rom for G2?

I think you've got the wrong G2 here! Since you've mentioned 32A, I presume you mean the HTC Magic (of which there are 32A and 32B variants). This is for the HTC Hero, which has been branded by T-Mobile UK as the G2 Touch.

Regards,

Dave

mjohnston14

Nov 5, 2009
advantages of root access?

Quick question really, what are the main advantages of rooting your hero? Just want to try to find everything out before i go ahead and do it!

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A GUIDE FOR TOTAL NOOBS to SDK + Rooting of HERO.

Right - a nice clear NOOB guide - I'll asume no previous SDK experience :) and XP Throughout, the stuff you need to type into the cmd will be in quotes " but you DO NOT TYPE THE QUOTES! :) UPDATED FROM EXPERIENCE!

1 GETTING THE SDK and INSTALLING IT
    Firstly you need to download the Android SDK (Software Developers Kit if you were wondering) from http://developer.android.com/index.html

They tell you to install it but really, what you need to do is just make sure the unzipped folder with everything in is placed in the root of your main drive (Usually c) so that its easier to point at it I guess. When unzipped, this folder is named something longwinded - I renamed mine to sdk and i'll use that in the following instructions.

2 INSTALLING SDK USB DRIVERS and USB DEBUGGING
    Firstly on your device, go to Settings - Applications -Development - USB Debugging and make sure it has a green tick :)
    Now you need to install the USB Drivers - Plug your fone in using the USB and it should come up Unknown device and ask you to install drivers - choose the Specific location option and then browse to the USB Driver folder in sdk - for XP choose the x86 folder - if you have a different OS you probably know which one to choose more than me. The drivers should install and the phone is now recognised when you plug it in (Remember if you plug it in a different USB port it may not recognise it again - stick to the same one if you have more than one USB port)

Additional - in my case, when I got to the adb section (Step6), my device wasn't recognised again. I had to do the exact same process above for adb functions. If you get a second pop up later on when starting the adb process, then navigate to the same folder. I had to specifically browse to the x86 folder. Checking USB debugging first should stop this but if not you are forewarned. :)

3 CHECKING ON SDK TOOLS
    Firstly have a look in the sdk folder to find the tools folder and make sure you have fastboot.exe and adb.exe in there. If yes then cool and groovy.

4 CHECKING IF FASTBOOT or ADB SEES YOUR HERO.
    Shutdown the phone and restart by pressing and holding power and the Back Button - you should be in bootloader - plug in your device to the USB BUT DON'T MOUNT IT!! should now say Fastboot USB on your hero. If you get prompted for drivers or device not recognised on plugging in the USB, follow step 2 again - just to be safe. :)

Open a comand Prompt Window - in XP its in Accessories/system from programs - I dragged the shortcut to my desktop, just so it was easier. You can also get to a command prompt by going to "RUN" and typing cmd (Ta Republik)

Double click and you'll see a line pointing to C drive probably Docs and settings, and your user name. You need to cd (change directory) into the tools folder so type (if you changed the name of the SDK folder to sdk like me)

"cd C:\sdk\tools" (and press enter)

should look like this now C:\sdk\tools>_

Next type in "fastboot devices" and press enter -

You should see something recognised - if nothing happens you need a different driver or more help. It might be worth going through step 2 again by unplugging from the PC then replugging in to force the driver request. (If that fails, ask on XDA for help)

If your device is listed, then you're set to start the Hero Rooting Process.

5 ROOTING!!! BOOTING INTO RECOVERY IMAGE
    Now you need to get the recovery image that will allow you to root from here
    http://rapidshare.com/files/262621147/cm-hero-recovery.img.zip

Once downloaded, unzip and place the file cm-hero-recovery.img INTO YOUR TOOLS FOLDER IN SDK (Don't forget to Unzip the zip file like I did. LOL You need the .img file in the root of the tools folder)

Now restart your fone into bootloader as mentioned above (HOLDing Back and Power) then plug into the USB and cd into the tools folder (You may already be there if you didn't unplug from before when you checked if the device was seen in part 4 above )

In the command window on your PC type "fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img" and press enter. Your fone should boot into a recovery console.

AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DOING A NANDROID BACKUP OF YOUR PRE ROOTED HERO ROM - scroll down to the nandroid backup option and press the scrollwheel. Once the Backup is finished, carry on with the next step - the backup will be on your SD Card and if anything goes wrong, can be restored by getting into this recovery console again :)

6 ROOTING - MODIFYING THE CODE TO GET ROOT ACCESSS
    enlightener says - download Superuser.zip here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=211569&d=1249225060 and extract the contents. You get a folder with two files : su and superuser.apk. Put those two files directly into the TOOLS folder in sdk (Same place as the recovery.img in step 5 above) (superuser.zip contains Superuser.apk and the su binary ) once that's done type the following code into your command window, pressing enter after each line.

"adb shell mount /system"
    "adb push su /system/bin/"
    "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/"
    "adb shell reboot"

Now your fone should be rebooting itself. At this point you can unplug from USB and let it reboot - it *should* be rooted - You can check by plugging in the USB without mounting - from a Command console cd to the tools directory and then type "adb shell" (You see a little dollar sign) then type "su" (must be lower case) - the Superuser app should ask for permission, click allow always and then you'll see the little rooted # sign - You are rooted!!

Use the script below if you fail anywhere along the line, in case you need to remove the previous Superuser then push it back.

"adb shell mount /system"
    "adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk"
    (will give error if you don't have it... ignore the error)
    "adb push su /system/bin/"
    "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    "adb push Superuser.apk /system/app"
    "adb shell reboot"

7 CHEcKING IF YOU ARE ROOTED
    Download and install a programme from the market that requires root eg
    Root Booter and test its functions if this works, you have root! You already have Superuser Permissions installed. Once installed, any programme needing root access must ask for permission (Choose allow always) and this is another way you know root has been successful. Other good ROOT prgs to try are Root Explorer (a great file explorer) bluex (For BT file transfer)

Warning - some folk get errors trying to upgrade to Superuser Whitelist (Including me) - if Superuser Permissions is working fine, leave it as is :)

Additional - Lots of posters reporting that Root Explorer not working as it should on the HTC Hero.

Hope that is NOOB FRIENDLY enough - Love Dayzee.

ALL the info is from this thread or the earlier ones so much THANKS to all involved. Please let me know if I've got any bits wrong or they could be clearer and I'll edit. I know there will be a lot of new to Android folks who need these "Granny suckingEggs" type instructions, because I was one of them 6 months ago!!
    OK i have a stupid question as i'm new to all that android thing. Where is the sdk folder? How do i open CMD? Maby u could do a tutorial for totaly new guys on *how to root your HERO* ??

Thanks

better visit www.theunlockr.com