FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to make a nandroid backup directly to your computer without using sdcard

1,769 posts
Thanks Meter: 947

By scandiun, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 6th August 2012, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th August 2016, 01:25 PM |#181  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jos90

Hi guys! How do i fix this error? I guess it depends on busybox:

[email protected]:/ # /system/xbin/busybox nc -l -p 5555 -e /system/xbin/busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0
in/busybox nc -l -p 5555 -e /system/xbin/busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 <
/system/xbin/busybox[1]: cat:: not found

I have a nexus 6, 6.0 with root and busybox installed (even if it says, after the installation is done, this message : "it looks like busybox is installed, but it does not appear to be the version that you selected to have installed")

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Because path of your busybox is not system/xbin but su/xbin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20160825-141946.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	3854203  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gynekolog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gynekolog Ad-Free

19th January 2017, 04:00 AM |#182  
Is this possible via WiFi-ADB if so how?
@scandiun or anyone with needed knowledge

Is this possible via WiFi-ADB. If so how, exactly?

I'm particularly interested in the first example via ADB-WiFi

for example

adb connect 192.168.1.xxx:5555

and now what?

Thanks in advance
21st January 2017, 07:49 AM |#183  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 3,708

More
If your recovery supports adb over wlan the rest should be transparent, i.e. all the commands should work as if you are connected via USB. But I didn't try yet ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Labs
8th May 2017, 05:41 AM |#184  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm sorry but this is the most worthless Android backup guide I've ever read! It took me about 3 hours to fix everything for the backup method to work because the original guide is SO incomplete and shallow. Then I realized: how the heck will I be ever able to restore this thing?
I kept reading until the very end. Spent another hour by reading 19 long pages and absolutely no method for restoring the backup I started to make. (Thank God I haven't finished the backup. I cancelled at about 15GB!) On these long 19 pages I found nothing else than just a few shallow hints about restoring the backed up data. In some parts people say it's impossible to restore, others say the full backup is impossible to restore, but you can separate and then restore partitions (no one explained how?!). Guys, this is ridiculous! Why should I start a backup process, taking hours if no one knows how to restore it?!

Can you imagine a software such as Acronis True Image (a backup software for PC), that you can buy for about 50$, to be advertised as: "With our software you can fully backup your PC! But you'll never ever be able to restore it! Don't miss this great opportunity! Buy the full Premium version for a hundred bucks! Backup without a restore! Within 6 hours! World record!"
Everyone would laugh on something like that, wouldn't they? Well this method in this thread seems exactly like that to me.

I know that this is a free guide and you are not selling it, but why did you even waste your (and OUR) time to write a long guide like this if you don't know the second NECESSARY step? (the restoration process) I'm assuming you don't even know the restoration method at all, otherwise you had already written it in the end of the original post.

This entire thread should be removed from XDA in my opinion. It's absolutely useless, pointless, unhelpful and a waste of time.

I wasted many hours of my time to figure out absolutely nothing at the end.

Or at least someone PLEASE could include this at the VERY beginning of the original first post?: "WARNING! There is NO restore method for this backup method!"

In that case I guess (sadly) no one will ever waste his/her time again in the future to read these 19 pages without any reason, just like I did.
Thank you.
8th May 2017, 07:20 AM |#185  
Flag Heidelberg

More
@crullx well the 'guide' describes more or less the same technology/mechanism TWRP nowadays is providing by the 'adb backup --twrp'.
Your statement 'cannot restore' is not correct, if you have a counterpart on the device, you can restore the files ...

8th May 2017, 07:31 AM |#186  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

@crullx well the 'guide' describes more or less the same technology/mechanism TWRP nowadays is providing by the 'adb backup --twrp'.
Your statement 'cannot restore' is not correct, if you have a counterpart on the device, you can restore the files ...

Once again an "if" and a "you can....", but NO explanation in details.
Would you please explain to all of us who have read these 19 pages without a solution:
how to restore the backed up raw data?
Please tell us step by step.

By the way I cannot use neither CWM, nor TWRP since my phone is not on their supported list. (none of my 20 Android phones were ever on their supported list actually)
I have a Lenovo Phab Plus (rooted) phone with Android 5.0.2 on it.
I started the backup process. It seemed like everything's okay. I cancelled it during the middle of it because I haven't seen a single, working, detailed restoration method on these 19 pages. But if you tell me one, I will go through the backup process until the very end and will be very pleased!
What is a "counterpart" by the way? Is that supposed to be CWM or TWRP? Those won't work for me as I mentioned.
8th May 2017, 08:09 AM |#187  
Flag Heidelberg

More
@crullx you need to get e.g. busybox installed and running on your device which then is able to communicate with your PC over e.g. USB or WLAN taking the content to be backed up and write it to the partitions of your device. Unfortunately the partition layout is different between the different devices, so this backup/restore method needs to be adopted to every specific device.
I agree to you, that the title is a bit missleading and the OP should have written something like 'WIP' or 'CONCEPT' into the headline of the thread.
8th May 2017, 08:14 AM |#188  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa

@crullx you need to get e.g. busybox installed and running on your device which then is able to communicate with your PC over e.g. USB or WLAN taking the content to be backed up and write it to the partitions of your device. Unfortunately the partition layout is different between the different devices, so this backup/restore method needs to be adopted to every specific device.
I agree to you, that the title is a bit missleading and the OP should have written something like 'WIP' or 'CONCEPT' into the headline of the thread.

Busybox is installed on my device. Developer options & USB debugging are enabled. I can successfully install apps with ADB, so the connection is okay I guess, but I don't know how to restore the raw data.
I need a step by step guide for that. I don't even know where to start.
8th May 2017, 08:37 AM |#189  
Flag Heidelberg

More
@crullx so you have a running system? In that case this method will not work because you will be overriding your running system. If you try to restore while the system is running, it's like cutting the branch on which you are sitting ...
You need to bring the device into a mode where only a minimal system is running e.g. recovery mode. Then you can restore all the partitions which are not used. Otherwise when you try to restore using while the complete android system is running you will overwrite the parts which are used to the backup ... this will end in a mess.
I cannot give you a step by step guide here now probably it's better if you look for a different backup/restore method already adopted to your device.
30th June 2017, 05:42 AM |#190  

More
So I followed the original guide, got everything to work but the backup file just shows up at 0kb and nothing happens.
Screenshot of what's going on: here
Device is Lenovo K3 Note.
1st July 2017, 10:02 AM |#191  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Backing up /data
On newer android versions (Im on 7.2) data folder has a folder media which is link to sdcard and one ends up backing up entire sd card. I had a 64gb backup which wasn't necessary

In order to avoid skipping the media folder i had to do some trial and error because busybox tar command is not completely the same as GNU tar.

Would appreciate if you can mention it in the mail guide to use the following command to backup /data folder without copying sdcard files

In first terminal
tar cv --exclude data/media/0 -f /cache/myfifo /data

in 3rd terminal
nc 127.0.0.1 5555 | pv -i 0.5 > data.tar

no change in second terminal

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to mohsyn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mohsyn Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cygwin, nandroid, onenand, parted

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)