FORUMS

[SIMPLE GUIDE + LOCKRINGS] [ALL ANDROID ROMS] Change lockrings on any rom

4,155 posts
Thanks Meter: 13,083

By davidwilson83, Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Themer on 2nd August 2012, 02:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
ALL OF THE LOCKRINGS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE 5TH POST

G’Day XDA,

This is a really simple to do guide on changing the lockring on both a stock Samsung circle lockscreen and the AOSP lockscreen on ALL SAMSUNG, AOSP & AOKP ROMS and essentially this same method should also work on ALL ANDROID ROMS that are both ODEXED & DEODEXED. I have tested both using my own phone which is a Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100 which is running a stock Samsung odexed rom. I have been told that it also works on a Sony Xperia Arc. Your specific rom may have the lockring file named as something else, so you may need to go into framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi (or-xhdpi or -mdpi depending on what device/rom you're running) to find the correct file. If you need help you can attach your framework-res.apk in here and I will do my best to help you out.

This is really easy to do for even a beginner like me, so I’m sure anyone that reads this will be able to do it. There are a few prerequisites to this mod – first of all you need a computer with an unzip style program like 7Zip, your phone needs to be rooted and you also need some kind of file manager (I use ES File Explorer but lots of people say they use Root Explorer). You will also need to have access to a program like Photoshop or Irfanview or Pixlr or Greenfish Icon Editor Pro if you want to change any pictures yourself. I have detailed everything step by step below with pictures so it should be very easy to follow.

Here's the guide…

(Lockrings in 5th post) PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU MAKE A NANDROID/CWM BACKUP BEFORE TRYING THIS - I CAN'T BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS YOU FACE, BUT I WILL DO MY BEST TO HELP YOU OUT IF YOU DO RUN INTO PROBLEMS

Step 1 - You will need to download the lockring that you would like to use. I have used different styles from HERE and also from HERE and also made my own. You can find some lockring collections made by martintspedersen HERE and by shishircoolin HERE. If you are smart enough to make your own using a program like Photoshop or Pixlr then top work. Just make sure that it is definitely a PNG file. Also make sure that if you want any of it transparent that it actually is (I made this mistake and it didn’t look very good, so I had to get my gorgeous fiancée to fix it up for me, as she is highly skilled in the art of Photoshop). Save the lockring onto your computer somewhere (I keep all of my stuff in a Mods folder) and you will need to modify it soon.

Step 2 - You will need to make a copy of framework-res.apk (which is located in /system/framework) and put it anywhere onto your phone’s SD card. Again, I use a folder called Mods which is easy to locate and remember.

Step 3 - Plug a micro USB cable into your phone and then plug the other end into your computer. Open the directory where you saved framework-res.apk (for me it is GTI9100/Phone/Mods) and move it onto your computer’s desktop.

Step 4 - Now right click on framework-res.apk and select 7Zip – Open Archive.

Step 5 - Within the opened 7Zip archive, navigate to res\drawable-hdpi\ (or res\drawable-xhdpi on a Galaxy Nexus) and locate these files:

For the stock Samsung Circle Lockscreen, find unlockscreen_lock_01.png to unlockscreen_lock_20.png. These usually have a padlock ranging in different stages of unlocking, but I have used the same picture in all of them. You can do the same or modify them slightly, it's up to you.

For the AOSP Lockscreen, find ic_lockscreen_handle_normal.png which is the lock that is visible when a hardware button is pressed, and ic_lockscreen_handle_pressed.png is the same lock with the ring around it that appears when you press the lock.

Step 6 - Change the name of the lockring PNGs that downloaded earlier and want to use to the corresponding file names. For example, I have changed the PNGs in the first picture to use in the stock Samsung Circle lockscreen and the PNGs in the second picture are for the AOSP Lockscreen:

Step 7 - Now drag the renamed PNGs into the res\drawable-hdpi folder. Click yes when it asks you to confirm.

Step 8 - Close the 7Zip archive and now copy your newly modified framework-res.apk back onto the SD card of your phone. Again for me, I use the Mods file so it's easy to find.

Step 9 - Now on your phone, open your file explorer and navigate to where your modified framework-res.apk is. Long press it and select Move To and move it to the System folder on the root directory of your phone.

Step 10 - Now navigate to the System folder and long press on the framework-res.apk and select Properties. You will see this:

Notice how the Permissions is set to rw- rw- rw-? We need to change this otherwise you'll have big problems. Click the Change button and you will see this:

Step 11 - Uncheck the Group - write and Other - write boxes so that it looks like this:

Now click OK and you will see this:

Now click OK.

Step 12 - Now long press on framework-res.apk and select Move To. Move it to the Framework folder within System.

You will see the following warning:

Click OK. Now your phone will freeze. This is ok. It will be frozen for roughly 1 - 1½ minutes, then it will restart.

Once it reboots, you will be staring at your new masterpiece!

Stock Samsung Circle Lockscreen

ICS Lockscreen

LOCKRINGS
(These are made for a HDPI screen and are at 162dp x 162dp)

Ok below are a bunch of lockrings for everyone to use. I have also included the Stock ICS lockring and the Stock Samsung Circle lockring so that if you want to modify them yourself then you can. The other lockrings were made by me (apart from Metallica which was made by martintspederen). Just click on the picture you want and it will open up a new tab where you can download it. Once it's downloaded, extract the files and rename them to the appropriate file name for your particular lockscreen. Requests are both welcome and encouraged!

ALL OF THE LOCKRINGS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE 5TH POST, SO PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO SEE AND DOWNLOAD THEM

Now if this post helped you I would love to know about it, so please post a reply. Even post screen shots of what you have done would be great.

Cheers XDA,

Dave
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to davidwilson83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift davidwilson83 Ad-Free
4th August 2012, 10:11 PM |#2  
Flag copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 2,006

More
@daveyannihilation oh mate!! you made the thread my friend very good job.. i was thinking of making something like it for mig lockrings
shirshicoolin and me was about to ask you of making a thread for all of us lockring guys

the next thing could be to implement the diffrent device locations: samsung:::ic_lockscreen_handle_normal.png

oh and i was the first LOL and thanks for the links as always
2nd September 2012, 10:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
very good
7th September 2012, 08:57 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
how if i want to change default lockscreen and porting from sense 4.0 lockscreen , can u help me ?
7th September 2012, 10:30 AM |#5  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Themer
Flag Perth

Donate to Me
More
LOCKRINGS

Ok below are a bunch of lockrings for everyone to use. I have also included the Stock AOSP lockring and the Stock Samsung Circle lockring so that if you want to modify them yourself then you can. The other lockrings were made by me (apart from Metallica which was made by martintspederen). Just click on the picture you want and it will open up a new tab where you can download it. Once it's downloaded, extract the files and rename them to the appropriate file name for your particular lockscreen. Requests are both welcome and encouraged!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davidwilson83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift davidwilson83 Ad-Free
9th September 2012, 05:17 PM |#6  
Flag Behind you!!!
Thanks Meter: 4,044

More
hiii...
thanks nice guide... can you give me your desktop wallpapers.... both.... i like them....
10th September 2012, 12:26 AM |#7  
Flag Perth

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeshsaini94

thanks nice guide... can you give me your desktop wallpapers.... both.... i like them....

Are you talking about the wallpapers that are in the screenshots in the guide? If so then it is actually a live wallpaper. I downloaded a program called Windows 7 Dreamscene Activator which you can get from here and I know it says it is for Windows 7 but I am running Vista and it works on my computer and I know it runs on XP Premium as well.

So once you install Dreamscene Activator you just right click on any mpg file and select Set as Desktop Background and then you've got a live wallpaper. Then I just searched for dreamscene wallpaper download on Google and that's how I found the Android one which is on the Dreamscene website here but for some reason it's not working at the moment. I just uploaded it for you, so click here and you can download it. Enjoy
10th September 2012, 11:43 PM |#8  
Flag Behind you!!!

More
Thanks... Will download it tommorow morning....

EDIT: its working fine but how do i change font color of desktop icons....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1318386  
The Following User Says Thank You to lokeshsaini94 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lokeshsaini94 Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 04:06 AM |#9  
Flag Perth

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeshsaini94

Thanks... Will download it tommorow morning....

EDIT: its working fine but how do i change font color of desktop icons....

I'm fairly certain that you need to go to Control Panel/Display then click on the Appearance tab and then click the Advanced button.

In this section you can change the colour for all of the backgrounds and text that you want. It's pretty cool.

Let me know how you go?
14th September 2012, 11:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 250

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyannihilation

Are you talking about the wallpapers that are in the screenshots in the guide? If so then it is actually a live wallpaper. I downloaded a program called Windows 7 Dreamscene Activator which you can get from here and I know it says it is for Windows 7 but I am running Vista and it works on my computer and I know it runs on XP Premium as well.

So once you install Dreamscene Activator you just right click on any mpg file and select Set as Desktop Background and then you've got a live wallpaper. Then I just searched for dreamscene wallpaper download on Google and that's how I found the Android one which is on the Dreamscene website here but for some reason it's not working at the moment. I just uploaded it for you, so click here and you can download it. Enjoy

Thanks a lot

Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2
27th September 2012, 06:51 PM |#11  
Flag Behind you!!!

More
hey....
sorry for one more off topic question but which tool you use to decompile apk files...
how do you have an option to decomplie apk on right clicking an apk file...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)