By Ilko, Senior Member on 17th November 2012, 11:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st December 2012, 04:00 PM |#21  
Flag Between here and there
Thanks Meter: 628

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilko

yes, but if such programs are leaked, it's their problem, not ours. there is no any law or rule that explicitly forbid software modification. It's open source... and the european directive protects us. I'll even say, that the ability of flashing wrong firmware could be considered as a default. This should not be possible.

people must understand that rooting and flashing are only restricted, not forbidden. I think they simply can't do that legally.

Open Source or not. Wrong firmware that break your phone is your own fault and even under the new directive it won't get repaired.

4th December 2012, 02:35 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Funky town
Thanks Meter: 542

More
maybe, but it's all up to you of telling the true or not...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ilko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ilko Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 10:23 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
The OP ist not entirely correct.

You can only claim the compulsory warranty from the seller you bought the phone at. The manufacturer on the other hand still has the right to make up rules when warranty applies and when it does not. Your contract is not with the manufacturer but with your seller.
5th December 2012, 11:34 PM |#24  
Flag Hermosillo
Thanks Meter: 481

Donate to Me
More
Seller/carrier are just an intermediary, warranty contracts are with end user and OEM in this case that would be LG mobile and it can't be changed, that's why it comes bundled phisically with the phone, if OEM decides to change time of warranty gets extended. But tipically every region has its own policies.

sent from my Optimus Black V28c
6th December 2012, 12:10 PM |#25  

More
Please do not confuse

warranty from LG (this is not compulsory, thus LG dictates the terms)
warrenty from the seller - compulsory and not directly dependent on LG, although the seller will most likely handle warranty claims throug LG

LG's warranty is something LG chooses to offer, thus they can dictate the terms.

If you root (in EU) LG may deny your warranty claim, whereas your seller cannot do that with the compulsory warranty. As you purchase contract is with the seller they have to offer warranty, even when rooted.

That is what the current case is all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bäcker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bäcker Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 07:39 PM |#26  
Flag Hermosillo

Donate to Me
More
As i said, it all depends on the region, here in my country, LG is forced to give at least 1 year warranty. Seller in this case the carrier is just the intermediary.

6th December 2012, 09:32 PM |#27  

More
Yeah, but this thread is on EU laws. Where are u from?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bäcker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bäcker Ad-Free
7th December 2012, 02:50 AM |#28  
Flag Hermosillo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäcker

Yeah, but this thread is on EU laws. Where are u from?

You can see where I'm from in my profile.

AFAIK even on EU, regional laws trumps Union law.

8th December 2012, 07:05 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by re4lsk

AFAIK even on EU, regional laws trumps Union law.

Not according to Wikipedia:

Quote:

The supremacy (sometimes referred to as primacy) of EU law is a principle by which the laws of European Union member states that conflict with laws of the European Union must be ignored by national courts so that the European Union law can take effect. The legal doctrine emerged from the European Court of Justice through a number of decisions.

22nd December 2012, 10:19 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the information!
3rd January 2013, 01:30 PM |#31  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonar_

"Running any software on the device that we don't approve voids your warrenty." (And I'm pretty sure that will include rooting software)

In most parts of the world such clauses were ruled invalid a long time ago.
The manufacturer has to prove that you did something wrong and that these allegedly wrong actions actually bricked the device.

Quote:

The OP ist not entirely correct.

You can only claim the compulsory warranty from the seller you bought the phone at.

You are wrong. That's only true for a certain amount of time after which the manufacturer is held responsible.

Quote:

The manufacturer on the other hand still has the right to make up rules when warranty applies and when it does not.

Bullsh*t!

Quote:

Your contract is not with the manufacturer but with your seller.

You are wrong again, see above.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pathologo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pathologo Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)