[Q] E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Search This thread

mozambik

Jan 6, 2011
Hello,

after update to stock I9000XXJVP from samfirmare with MD5 check (Odin 1.7, 3 files rom, pit 512, with Re-Partition, auto reboot and bootloader update) all was fine until I reboot the phone.
I got boot loops.
I again flash the phone with the same rom and same settings as above. After first reset I have:

Successfuly installed package.
Successfuly copied media files.

E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Data wipe failed.

Successfuly applied multi-SCS.

Then I choose wipe data/factory reset from Android system recovery (3e) and got the same error:

then I choose wipe cache partition and hit reboot system now.

And again boot loop...

Please help, I'm searching for sollution from two days.. I tried to flash others roms but with same result...

mozambik

Jan 6, 2011
Try flashing back to froyo or even ezy base froyo (preffered), then flash ginger rom with bootloaders, flash speedmod kernel (latest) convert everything to ext4 and do a factory wipe in cwm recovery, then custom rom. Works for me everytime.

I flashed with Odin with 512pit, re-parttion and bootloader update: 2.1 Eclair JM1, 2.2.1 Froyo JPU, 2.3.3 Ficeto_Deodexed_JVH_I9000_ODIN, and stock 2.3.4 JPU.. none of this work, every time boot-loop
I tried speedmod kernel and turn off all lagfix'es. Now all is in RFS.

Why I should convert everything back to ext4 ??

I think my problem is with internal SD-Card.. Flashing ROMs and KERNELs do not touch internal SD-Card.

From recovery I can't format internal SD-Card (memory):
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (No such file or directory)
E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount SDCARD
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu for format and reboot actions.

Last edited:

eggshaped

Jan 23, 2010
Cleveland
I had this problem the first time I tried to install a new rom after rooting my phone. There's a thread somewhere with a solution (in the Dev section I think, if I remember rightly) which I followed and it worked a treat.

Just install firmware PDA-I900XXJP1 and pit file 512 with odin. Tick Re-partition. I'm not sure if any other stock firmware works but this is the one advised in the thread and it's the one I used, successfully.

This will get you back to an older version of stock Froyo. From there you can root again and flash an updated rom.

Sorry, it won't let me upload the files for some reason but they can easily be found in the stock rom thread.

Hope this helps.

fleischbanane

I had this problem the first time I tried to install a new rom after rooting my phone. There's a thread somewhere with a solution (in the Dev section I think, if I remember rightly) which I followed and it worked a treat.

Just install firmware PDA-I900XXJP1 and pit file 512 with odin. Tick Re-partition. I'm not sure if any other stock firmware works but this is the one advised in the thread and it's the one I used, successfully.

This will get you back to an older version of stock Froyo. From there you can root again and flash an updated rom.

Sorry, it won't let me upload the files for some reason but they can easily be found in the stock rom thread.

Hope this helps.

It killed my download-mode! :eek:

ruelle

Nov 3, 2010
L'Aquila
Hello,

after update to stock I9000XXJVP from samfirmare with MD5 check (Odin 1.7, 3 files rom, pit 512, with Re-Partition, auto reboot and bootloader update) all was fine until I reboot the phone.
I got boot loops.
I again flash the phone with the same rom and same settings as above. After first reset I have:

Successfuly installed package.
Successfuly copied media files.

Data wipe failed.

Successfuly applied multi-SCS.

Then I choose wipe data/factory reset from Android system recovery (3e) and got the same error:

then I choose wipe cache partition and hit reboot system now.

And again boot loop...

Please help, I'm searching for sollution from two days.. I tried to flash others roms but with same result...

Ihave the same problem,
how did you solve???

thank you

Scorp182

Feb 17, 2012
i know this message "E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2" from another forum only in the context of a damaged internal sd.

JunaidZaka

May 12, 2011
Flashing stock rom with re partition ticked fixes this problem for me every single time dont know why it isnt working for you guys :/
Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

Captain_17

Mar 25, 2012
I've flashed loads of roms with and without re-partitioning and it hasn't fixed this problem yet. I also tried to use 'parted' in an adb shell but it was also unable to fix, change or remove the partitions on the internal sdcard.
I think it must be a hardware-related problem.

azmirsafuan

May 21, 2011
I've flashed loads of roms with and without re-partitioning and it hasn't fixed this problem yet. I also tried to use 'parted' in an adb shell but it was also unable to fix, change or remove the partitions on the internal sdcard.
I think it must be a hardware-related problem.

i've the same prob..is it hardware problem?
so how to solve it?

jerryreyes

Jul 4, 2011
Help Please

Flashing stock rom with re partition ticked fixes this problem for me every single time dont know why it isnt working for you guys :/
Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

Do you have specific stock rom used to fix the mmcblk02 problem of your gt-i9000? because mine I tried from 2.1 to 2.3.6 stock rom but still I can't used my gt-i9000 because of mmcblk02 error when flashing with pit 512 (re-partition tick) and 3 files.

Pindagus

Sep 24, 2012
Do you have specific stock rom used to fix the mmcblk02 problem of your gt-i9000? because mine I tried from 2.1 to 2.3.6 stock rom but still I can't used my gt-i9000 because of mmcblk02 error when flashing with pit 512 (re-partition tick) and 3 files.

I got this error too, because my internal sd card is corrupt. If this is the case, you can try what I have done.

Follow this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906089
You will need a microSD card

jerryreyes

Jul 4, 2011
Thank You

I got this error too, because my internal sd card is corrupt. If this is the case, you can try what I have done.

Follow this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906089
You will need a microSD card

Thank you very much for this. It works with camera and gallery but I can't see all the files that is on my internal sd card which i really concern because my Daughter want's her pictures inside the phone.

supersteve939

Jun 3, 2012
Heres my pennys worth.

For the "Format Failed /dev/block issue

I had the same issue, 4 issues in fact:

rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl10
rfs format failed on /dev/block/stl11
Deleting meta data
Data Wipe Failed

I was giving up hope then
I tried this method:

I attempted to wipe all i could: dalvik, cache and data.
I flashed 'pit_512' on its own with repartition checked via Odin.
Back to download mode and flashed GB stock rom 2.3.6
Rooted, again via Odin
Then went into CWM recovery, went to 'mounts and storage' and formatted every option apart from the 'Format Boot' option. All formats successful which was different from before.

Formatting completely factory resets the phone so complete data loss!

Another flash with 2.3.6.GB stock together with the pit_512 repartition checked. (before reflash I did the 3 wipes again, Dalvik, cache, data)
After rom flashed I rooted then tried the formats individually again through CWM out of interest to see if I got those same 4 errors and BINGO!! all went without any problems!!! :good:

Might be worth a try??
:fingers-crossed:
Hope this helps.

xdajuecat

Mar 2, 2011
format failed

When I use the reset to factory default from the menu I switch to the 3e reccovery and get the error: rfs format failed

But when I use the CWM Recovery and select wipe data/factory reset all format item are OK.

so, what's the difference between 3e and CWM factory reset?

fuzinc

Mar 20, 2012
hey guys i have the same problem. but have another one, that odin stops at setup connection. tried everything, re-installing, changing ports, different odins. the only odin that works is 4.43 version, but that one doesen`t hvae reparitition option. Is there anything else that i could try?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
hey guys i have the same problem. but have another one, that odin stops at setup connection. tried everything, re-installing, changing ports, different odins. the only odin that works is 4.43 version, but that one doesen`t hvae reparitition option. Is there anything else that i could try?

Odin 4.43 is used for Galaxy S PLUS i9001 with ariesVe.ops file not pit file, so what is your phone model?

Check this out!You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
thanks.jpg

If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select :good: Thanks
Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.​

fuzinc

Mar 20, 2012
Odin 4.43 is used for Galaxy S PLUS i9001 with ariesVe.ops file not pit file, so what is your phone model?

Check this out!You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
thanks.jpg

If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select :good: Thanks
Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.​

It`s Samsung galaxy ace s5830

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can always reflash with .pit and repartition, to fix such partition issues.