Lost clockwork mod, don't know what to do....

Search This thread

bugzy3188

Feb 26, 2011
To start things off, let me just say that I just installed the stock eh17 rom and put the AIO mod on top of it and this is the best looking and most stable that my phone has been since making the leap to gingerbread. However....the AIO mod wiped out CWM recovery for some reason and reverted me to stock. As far as I can tell I'm still rooted, I did the terminal test, I have SU, and wireless tether for root users which works fine....but no CWM.

Now I know most would say just odin it back but here in lies my second problem which probably deserves a thread of its own but ties in with this one. My pc just up and stopped recognizing my epic. I have 3 different cables two crap samsung and a better one, none of which work in ANY of my ports. I just odin'd EH06 like a week ago, but still I have tried updating my drivers with no avail. My device manager does not recognize or list my android device at all, I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, I have rebooted both devices several times and still get nothin. The only thing that I remember chaning between when it worked and when it didn't was I flashed an ext4 rom...could that be it? I've tried going back and it still doesn't work....

Anywa...deep breath...my main question is, is there a way to get CWM back on a rooted, deodexed, supuer user granted phone? Or am I screwed in that department? I guess on the bright side if I can't mod my phone anymore, at least its stable and looks good.....

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

jeffro18

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Sometimes you can have 2 recoveries at one time. Have you tried 3 finger boot and rom manager to get into recovery?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

bugzy3188

Feb 26, 2011
I get stock recovery and I have tried rom manager to no avail.....I also tried downloading it and running it as a update zip but it said the signatures were bad...

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I get stock recovery and I have tried rom manager to no avail.....I also tried downloading it and running it as a update zip but it said the signatures were bad...

Yeah, you can only use signed update.zips. If no computer recognizes your phone then nothing will get CWM recovery back on. ADB needs to see your phone. if you have done the whole different cables, different ports, new drivers thing then you are mostly screwed. There is an EH17 Update.zip in development you can try.

bugzy3188

Feb 26, 2011
Well crap....until this point I thought it might not be too bad...I love the setup I have now and I haven't had a reboot or FC in 24 hours time...that is, until I tried to edit my contacts...they're not there!! Not just my conacts, the whole contacts app!! This really sucks...

heXkil

Nov 21, 2010
austin
facebook.com
Hey, try running the Samsung 1.3.08 driver pack in XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility Mode (via Rclick>Properties over the msi or exe file in Win7). Once installed just close. Then go to the [Guide] [Recovery] [Heimdall] Clockwork Mod 3.1.0.1 Purple Heimdall Epic thread here in Epic Android Development section.. Down and install Heimdall and run the driver pack (you may have to run PDANet as well). This is only the only way I can get reconnected in DL mode once my drivers go bat-****, which for some reason they do about every 6 weeks.
And after Heimdall recognizes your Epic, you can just shut it down and use Odin for your tar-balling fix if that is your fancy because after that Odin will COM your Epic again as well.
PM me if you need help on this, I am up till 2am most nights
If you are still on GB, only flash the recovery. Otherwise you are safe to flah kernel as well.
As far as all the driver crap

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Heimdall has it's own driver pack to install. And is more robust. You will be able to install just the recovery this way. I used it to swap out Bonsai recovery with CWM 3.1.0.1.