Experiences with the non-gorilla glass screen?

Search This thread

mhca

Jun 21, 2011
Hi Guys

I ordered this phone yesterday and now I'm actually just waiting to receive it.
I think the phone seems awesome at its price, although I was close at buying a brand new replacement LG O2x for only 66% of the price of Galaxy R.

I'm still a little in doubt if I will keep the phone or not, mainly due to the fear of a screen which is easily scratched. Most other phones out there uses Corning Gorilla Glass, but Galaxy R only uses "scratch-resistant" glass.
Also the new announcements at Mobile World Conference have my interest, e.g. to have a smaller-in-the-pocket phone with similar or better resolution.

What are you experiences so far? Have you made minor surface scratches or is the screen actually quite sturdy?

I would prefer not to use a screen protector.

Best regards, Martin / mhca

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
The screen glass is pretty sturdy and is actually scratch resistant.

But it would be recommended for heavy users that applying a scratch guard would be better and you can have a peace of mind as you would have to care less about scratches.

About better handsets available in the future only time will tell. But one thing wont change, that is Nvidia's huge efforts to bring game developers to support Tegra devices which will have very few parallels in the Android handsets market.

Till then tuned ! :)

krobar77

Dec 31, 2010
yep SGR has less sturdy scratch resistant glass.. I would prefers gorilla glass.. but sometime it is overrated too lol!...

so my phone already got a tiny scratch after 4th day bought it.. hehe..
I put it inside my pocket together with few coins...

mhca

Jun 21, 2011
yep SGR has less sturdy scratch resistant glass.. I would prefers gorilla glass.. but sometime it is overrated too lol!...

so my phone already got a tiny scratch after 4th day bought it.. hehe..
I put it inside my pocket together with few coins...

Exactly what I'm worried about. I would never keep the phone in my pocket together with coins.
However, sometimes I toss it somewhere lying together with other stuff, e.g. when passing through airport security.

I'll make up my mind soon.

I'm still very interested to hear more comments from users with experiences.

M

m.kochan10

I used my phone without screen protector for one week after I had bought it. I must mention that I was kinda a cautious and never put coins, keys and mobile to the same pocket. I haven't had any single scratch.

Google86

Oct 19, 2011
Spain, EU.
I use a silicon case and plus a hard plastic pouch case when I'm carrying it on my pocket. Not even a single scratch

krobar77

Dec 31, 2010
I used my phone without screen protector for one week after I had bought it. I must mention that I was kinda a cautious and never put coins, keys and mobile to the same pocket. I haven't had any single scratch.

yeah that was silly of me.. putting the phone in the pocket with coins.. I was rushing with my hand fulls with stuffs..

but the wierd thing was.. I had my HTC Legend once..(Gorilla glass and no Screen Protector) and my Legend did not have any scratches at all for few months..

my bro also using his Galaxy S for a year without any scratches. He does put his phone anywhere though..

still.. Gorilla Glass "a bit" better than normal scratch resistant glass..

Javier4

Jan 31, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Hi Guys

I think the phone seems awesome at its price, although I was close at buying a brand new replacement LG O2x for only 66% of the price of Galaxy R.

I'm still a little in doubt if I will keep the phone or not, mainly due to the fear of a screen which is easily scratched. Most other phones out there uses Corning Gorilla Glass, but Galaxy R only uses "scratch-resistant" glass.
Also the new announcements at Mobile World Conference have my interest, e.g. to have a smaller-in-the-pocket phone with similar or better resolution.

What are you experiences so far? Have you made minor surface scratches or is the screen actually quite sturdy?

I think it would be a bad decision to choose the LG 2X.

About the screen of SGR... I don't have any scratches yet and don't read in other forums that people complain of this issue.

You can find lots of people with Gorilla Glass phones who have scratches and break completely in a normal drop from the hands.

I would buy the SGR definetely.

chrissmartin

Aug 27, 2011
Kottayam
I'm a user of sgr for about a month now.I use silicon case at home and stock leather case when going out for showing of the beauty of sgr.:D

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda premium

Prankey

Jun 24, 2008
infcloud.in
Me and my wife using it heavily but carry it inside the original pouch or my wife in S2 pouch which completely protects the phone when kept inside a women's purse!

I hate using screen protector and not even using a case, still the phone is entirely scratch-less all around (not just the screen). If you are reasonably careful, I am sure it can last like my S1 or S2 which are scratch-less forever.

enkelad

Dec 18, 2011
i dropped it from waist height on the concrete and nothing happend to the screen - i use screen protector though.

i'm starting to doubt they tricked us - that R actually has a gorilla glass :D

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Samsung has already tricked for UTG feature...

Also there can be hidden NFC, MHL output...and now gorrilla....
i cant digest it...!!

Sgr doesnt have nfc compatibality and also dont have gorilla glass, if u wanna test remove your screen guard and just swipe a coin over your screen :D u will get a beutifull scratch.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

reymysterio7

Mar 20, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Hi Guys

Amazing replies given here :p

But wait, how come ur getting a Galaxy R now?? I was under the impression that SGR was permanently discontinued! U better check the phone and its contents carefully before using it dude.

I use a capdase soft case and a gloss screen protector - no scratches till now. Although I must say my left pocket is reserved for my phone only and nothing else - no coins especially! :D

FeralFire

Jan 18, 2012

But wait, how come ur getting a Galaxy R now?? I was under the impression that SGR was permanently discontinued! U better check the phone and its contents carefully before using it dude.

I use a capdase soft case and a gloss screen protector - no scratches till now. Although I must say my left pocket is reserved for my phone only and nothing else - no coins especially! :D

Uh, dude the OP is from February. :p

Reactions: reymysterio7

chandanbs

I have CGG on my moto xt720 and i have had few scratches when kept in pocket with keybunch and coins..!! That was after 1-2 months. Then i realised i should always put a screen guard (not the privacy guard which interferes the touch sensitivity) on any smartphone whatsoever..!
Now, on the day i bought my SGR, i put a screen guard and with a fake capdase back cover, its super safe and no visible scratches .. even after 5 months..

maslafonjr

Mar 29, 2012
I use a screen protector since the first day, and when the protector is scratched, I only have to replace this, another thing is that with time, screen protector makes work bad the screen, it turns crazy. Then, I must replace the protector.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Uh, dude the OP is from February. :p