wifi keyboard and mouse?

Search This thread

cabbieBot

Apr 5, 2010
twitter.com
Has anyone used one of these and do you think it would work with the NC? Not having bluetooth (at least for the moment, maybe it can be enabled) is a downer for a tablet but a google search showed that they are on the market. Im wondering if that could be used as an input solution.

TabulaGaga

Dec 24, 2010
New York, NY
good idea: do a teardown

Sorry, didn't do enough reading. Part of the cm6 references are requests to tear down the device to see its bt and usb otg capabilities:

From the donation thread:
I STRONGLY SUPPORT ka6sox's need to tear a nook color down for analysis to the remove chips from the board level (this is called "salting" a board... I have no idea why, perhaps because like putting salt on a slug, it's dead when you're done.)

Here are some things we need hardware teardown to identify....

• Bluetooth is enabled or disabled by putting +V on a pin on the UNDERSIDE of the wl1230 chip. No way to tell if BT is enabled without a teardown.
  • USB chip on the board is capable of USB master and USB otg mode, however the correct strapping of the voltage regulators supporting that chip can not be identified from above.
  • The extra pins on the USB connector the NC uses dissappear into the inside of the board, there is no way to ensure that they are MERELY power connectors.
  • FM Radio is enabled with +v on a pin just as the BT is. Again requiring a teardown.
  • There may be jtag pads available near the CPU, this would allow devs to have serial access to the CPU during boot to develop custom kernels, at the present time, there is NO CONSOLE during boot. This would help. Again, no way to identify them without teardown.
  • it is possible that an fm antenna can be easily attached to a test pad. But we won't know until we know if the fm output is DIRECTED to a test pad.
  • there's more, but that alone justifies ripping a nook color to bits.

Eugenekay has agreed to buy a board for this purpose if the community agrees it's a good use of funds, and ka6sox is uniquly qualified to do it, since he's done it before...

nicbennett

Dec 30, 2010
Portlad, OR
So the consensus seams to be that it isn't feasible for now, but might be in the future?

It would certainly be nice if it were, I'm planning on starting some college courses this spring and would love to be able to do quick note taking without having to lug around(not to mention the extra cost) another netbook or something similar. I'm just not fast enough with the software keyboard to keep up with a lecture.

PS- for those of us who are new here, what is CM6?

vizographic

Feb 19, 2008
Back to the heart of the matter

Has anyone used one of these and do you think it would work with the NC? Not having bluetooth (at least for the moment, maybe it can be enabled) is a downer for a tablet but a google search showed that they are on the market. Im wondering if that could be used as an input solution.

bump, or support for usb mouse/keyb

?Has anyone achieved any of the two work arounds? A wifi/USB keyboard solution?

I think lots of folks are waiting for CM6 which might unlock the NC bluetooth stack offering mouse, wiimote, and keyboard goodness with it.

Please don't mention the Bluetooth possibilities. Until they salt that board, I just can't handle the stress of thinking about it. Just typing this part of the post makes my fingers tremble. I know, I probably need help. ;)

italiano1964

Dec 1, 2010
?Has anyone achieved any of the two work arounds? A wifi/USB keyboard solution?

Please don't mention the Bluetooth possibilities. Until they salt that board, I just can't handle the stress of thinking about it. Just typing this part of the post makes my fingers tremble. I know, I probably need help. ;)

Bluetooth? I hope you don't pass out from the excitement after reading the link below,

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=897934