Wired Magazine App

Search This thread
Apr 29, 2010
On my Motorola Xoom running Virtuous Inquisition v3 (ICS) I can register, and I see the little red arrow pointing up, with the phrase "Already have access? Sign in above" but there is nothing above the arrow. The word "Wired" appears in the center of the bar at the top, and there's a gear-shaped menu icon in the upper-right, but the only item on the menu is "Restore all purchases" which does nothing but bring up the incorrect "No internet connection" message.

So close, yet so far away. You'd think Conde Nast could afford to hire decent Android Devs.

That's very strange, I have a button on the very opposite side of the top as where the gear appears tphats labled "sign in" I don't understand what's preventing you from seeing it. Like you said the gear is in the top right and the sign in button is on the top left. Idk but I wish you luck in solving this mystery. If I could figure out how to get a screen shot, I would show you where it is.

Actually I did figure out how to make a screen grab and this is what the app is supposed to look like.
AkOGT1oCEAAyQID-1.png

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

slshults

Dec 1, 2007
That's very strange, I have a button on the very opposite side of the top as where the gear appears tphats labled "sign in" I don't understand what's preventing you from seeing it. Like you said the gear is in the top right and the sign in button is on the top left. Idk but I wish you luck in solving this mystery. If I could figure out how to get a screen shot, I would show you where it is.

Actually I did figure out how to make a screen grab and this is what the app is supposed to look like.
AkOGT1oCEAAyQID-1.png

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

It's not that strange really. You're on a Kindle Fire, one of only two Android devices the app is developed for. I'm on a device they've not developed or tested for. My bar with "Wired" and the gear menu icon looks just like yours, but without the "Sign In." It's just not there. Effective way of preventing it from being used on devices you don't want it used on.

What I don't understand is why they chose the itty bitty Fire and Nook screens but don't want me using it on my 10" Xoom screen. Not to mention the fact that the fire has been out for less than 3 months while the Xoom was the first Android 3.0 tablet. *sigh*

Kekule

Nov 29, 2011
Man I wish I could get this working on my CM7 Fire. No matter what I try it just FCs when it loads any issue. What version of Adobe Air and the Wired app are you using?

--edit
nevermind... finally got it fixed and running on CM7.

Last edited:

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
I'd also like to throw my hat in the ring on this one.

I had gotten the apk to work (give me the sign in link) on CM9 Nook Color but after a recent nightly clean update I can no longer get the sign in link.

Any ideas on tricks to get the sign in link to appear?

Thanks in advance.

stephenm00

Aug 14, 2008
I was able to get the app to sign-in but when i try an view one of the magazines I download it crashes (however twice it worked perfectly). I have captured the crash on logcat is anyone can decode the problems in the pasetbin below?

pastebin.com/D4mk9BHX

harveydent

Feb 24, 2009
I tried. I enter my subscription number, and ask me to sign in. Unfortunatelly, there is no sign in screen, button.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I had the exact same problem. (And thank you kenhen93 for posting the apk)

Anyway, to solve the missing Sign In button problem, simply disable your ad blocker. Worked for me.

Kekule

Nov 29, 2011
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I had the exact same problem. (And thank you kenhen93 for posting the apk)

Anyway, to solve the missing Sign In button problem, simply disable your ad blocker. Worked for me.

exactly, there is a line (or two) in the /etc/hosts file that points to an adobe site. You just need to remove the offending lines from the hosts file, or rename the hosts file. then reboot to get it to take effect.

Reactions: daikisato

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
This is one of the main reasons I sold my nexus.

If Google really wants to compete in the magazine space then they have to work out deals for print subscribers just as Apple, Amazon, and b&n have done.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

sstuner

Dec 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I hope an wired magazine apk becomes available soon. My Wired subscription to Amazon (Kindle Fire) is almost up for renewal and I don't have the Fire anymore which was replaced with the Nexus 7.

McBain_666

Oct 9, 2010
Almost working on Tab2 7"

Just adding my experience because that I SORTA got this working on a Galaxy Tab2 7.0
On stock ICS rom, italian edition (if that matters), no root

What I did:
Downloaded the apk from this thread & installed it
The app complained that I did not have the amazon store installed, so I followed the link and installed it.
Now it still complains that I don`t "own" the application, but *if* the amazon store is open at the same time, even pressing quit keeps the app running.

But don`t get your expectations too high. There are countless bugs. Sometimes it does not detect the correct screen orientation, sometimes it fc's, once it resetted the device. But I did not have the problem of the sign in button not appearing, though it was impossibile to enter l&p with the Swift keyboard I am using.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Reactions: 511pf

FaberfoX

Mar 30, 2010
Can someone post an updated apk? The one posted here is quite old and crashes all the time on my hp touchpad running cm9.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here ya go guys
    Could someone grab the latest version, 2.9 I believe?

Thanks

There's a copy here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1925636

Has black bars in the magazine view on the Nexus 7, though they support the Kindle Fire HD at the same resolution.
    I just tried to install this on my thunderbolt. It told me I didn't own the app and sent me to the amazon app store. Then it said I couldn't "buy" the app (its free) in this device.
    Can someone get us around this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    First, go to the Amazon app store online. Search for the Wired magazine app there and buy it there. It will warn you that none of your available devices support the app. Go ahead and buy it anyway (since it is free). You can now launch the app. You'll need a Wired Magazine account and Adobe air for it to work.
    I tried. I enter my subscription number, and ask me to sign in. Unfortunatelly, there is no sign in screen, button.

You sign in at the top left of the wired app main page. It's up at the very top.

Also this thread has nothing to do with Android Development, please use some consideration when creating threads. There is a section under Amazon Kindle Fire called Themes and Apps, this thread should have went there instead of cluttering up the Android Development. Granted it's not a major foul but please just use some common sense people.
    You sign in at the top left of the wired app main page. It's up at the very top.

Also this thread has nothing to do with Android Development, please use some consideration when creating threads. There is a section under Amazon Kindle Fire called Themes and Apps, this thread should have went there instead of cluttering up the Android Development. Granted it's not a major foul but please just use some common sense people.

On my Motorola Xoom running Virtuous Inquisition v3 (ICS) I can register, and I see the little red arrow pointing up, with the phrase "Already have access? Sign in above" but there is nothing above the arrow. The word "Wired" appears in the center of the bar at the top, and there's a gear-shaped menu icon in the upper-right, but the only item on the menu is "Restore all purchases" which does nothing but bring up the incorrect "No internet connection" message.

So close, yet so far away. You'd think Conde Nast could afford to hire decent Android Devs.