Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012)

Search This thread

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
7 hours after posting: a RR and bootloop. So a total of 150 hrs uptime.
I think my TF is spying on me.
(I posted from a desktop, so how did it know???)

That is TOO funny!! :)

It's AMAZING how these devices know exactly what we're doing!!! :)

Maybe Asus is actually activating the camera without our knowledge! (that was a joke!)...

:)

FYI, since I manually rebooted yesterday, all is still fine... Survived overnight again with any RR/SOD issues, which is good news!

For those coming the thread a little late, we wanted to make sure that none of the issues "came back" after a reboot.... So far, so good.....

SInce manual reboot: Uptime: 10 hours, Deep-sleep: 8.5 hours (*I* was sleeping most of the time since I rebooted, which is why the deep-sleep is so high)....

Also, I'm not sure I ever posted some of the details that might be relevant - I keep WiFi on ALL of the time, even while sleeping (so I get alerted of new emails as tehy come in). I also leave my TF docked 95% of the time - I have been trying to un-dock and run some apps and then re-dock, just for testing purposes though.

EDIT: One more question (for @rxnelson) - have you loaded Adobe Flash on your TF under the .24 beta? Typically, when testing, I like to start with a clean install, testing just the basic Google apps, etc first.... Then I slowly introduce my third-party apps (just to be sure a non-ICS compatible app isn't the cause of some issues). That being said, I just realized that I never re-introduced Flash - have you?

I think I'll install it now, just to make sure it's not causing any issues....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Zzzooommm

Dec 29, 2009
I can stream (SMB) 8gb movies in BSPlayer...
Perhaps the inability to play movies has something to do with the file type, or storage location, but I'm able to play .MP4 movies over 1GB stored on my microSD card on ICS.
I tried BSPlayer and the result is the same...
This problem just happens since ICS upgrade and occurs with all file type, stored on microSD or internal.

Pitming

Mar 22, 2012
Reboot when undocking

Hi,

Since update to .21 on my TF101 C10xxxxx I faced two time a reboot when undocking.

I sent the log to Gary but it did interest me to know if someone else had that problem.

And for my 2 cent, I only have reboot + freeze on Asus screen when looking flash video. Else I get the "simple" reboot.

Thx,

sbiriguda

Feb 3, 2011
L'Aquila
Also, I believe that Italy is either going back to HC or returning the device. Another fubar update may cause a country wide return of the device. Talk about your bad press.
I highly doubt we'll ever see a country-wide return of the device, since most TF101 owners are - unfortunately - oblivious to customer protection laws and their provisions are ineffective after the law-mandated warranty (2 years) expires. Most likely, there would be a few returns (which would still be enough for all stores to pull the device off the shelves forever), a lot of units ending up on eBay and a sharp drop of sales for all Android-based devices manufactured by Asus.

As for going back to HC, it seems that Asus Italy partially backed off from their earlier statement (cue to some kind of "told you so" meme here :rolleyes:) pending the .24 update. They might be holding back the downgrade as a last resort option if .24 fubars and they have to come up with a solution to escape liability.

Reactions: fyve4321

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
And I will NOT stop posting my opinions (as well as the facts) - that's my free speech right, thank you very much! :) Who the hell are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't report on??

I am sorry that came out the wrong way, it was not my intention to get you to stop posting what you think, I just think that it would be a more beneficial for the rest of us when the update comes out to have a clean slate, so to say, to form our own opinions to what works or not and how the features or RR/SODs affect us in OUR daily routine.

Regarding the new features, I have been sending EVERY SINGLE person who asked (via PM) a detailed description of the new features - which was a HELL of a lot more work that posting it publicly! I just didn't want to spoil the surprise for the folks that wanted to wait to see it for themselves (I know I enjoyed the surprise)...

Maybe you should post something like PM me if you want to know more or if you think that is more work, then just post them. Regardless we'll all find out in due time anyways.

Please, just put me on ignore like you do everyone that disagrees with you - that way you don't need to read my posts!! It's THAT easy!

You must think that I am Horndroid or Knoxploration. I have never put anyone on the ignore list and in fact don't really care to. I do value your opinion but as a test, it is always better to be objective and not subjective. I have spoken to you on other threads too and have always been more than courteous, like yourself.

You have NO idea what *I* know - I have been in contact with Asus throughout the entire process and happen to know some things that you don't (oh my, someone knows something that woodrube doesn't???) - imagine that!

You are right, I don't know what you do. In fact no one does but you keep dropping little things here and there about how a little birdy told you about a possible roll back or that you know this or you know that. Those are the type of posts that I was talking about.

And, for the record, even though *I* still had the reboots with .21, I AGREED with Gary to release .21as it DID fix the RR/SOD issues for some AND it also fixed VPN issues, at the very least.... I'm all for incremental updates and always have been.... I NEVER said they shouldn't release .21 - just that *I* still had a RR with .21....

To everyone else - sorry for this post - but that post just rubbed me the wrong way!

I am sorry for this long post too. I just want to facts of whatever this test is providing in a non-skewed way. Really it should have never been divulged that it is in process but that is up to Gary and not us*me*.

Reactions: dchay

devjazz

Jan 10, 2012
jtrosky one one more test scenario to try in case you havent. Launch and use several apps and then without shutting them down by pressing back, close the lid, leave it sleeping for an hour or so and then open it again. If you have chrome try browsing this forum and leave it on with chrome in the foreground. Other things to try are leaving streaming services (radio, youtube) in the foreground when closing the lid.

These were all things that were likely to accelerate a reboot or hang in .21. BTW even with wakelock active, in .21 I get into a rare case where the entire system locks up and stops responding to touch gestures. This happens *while using* the tablet and so far it has happened mainly when trying to launch the Gmail app quickly immediately after exiting another app. Since this is a different symptom I'm not sure its directly related to the original problem. i.e. it could be a user mode deadlock as opposed to a kernel crash. It has happened about 4 times since .21 was released so not very frequently.

Another general observation. I have found the overall ICS bootup time to be really long. The freaking thing takes longer than my PC to boot. Even after I log in (I have to have a login due to the device policy to connect to corporate mail servers) it seems that the system is semi responsive for about a minute since its still loading a bunch of background tasks, Icons don't update, etc. Overall I find ICS to be pretty immature as an OS in this aspect. Bootup times shouldn't take that long and the system should be responsive faster.

Reactions: jtrosky

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
You must think that I am Horndroid or Knoxploration. I have never put anyone on the ignore list and in fact don't really care to. I do value your opinion but as a test, it is always better to be objective and not subjective. I have spoken to you on other threads too and have always been more than courteous, like yourself.

You are absolutely right here -I DID confuse you with someone else on the "ignore" thing - I apologize for that!!!

Anyway - sorry for the somewhat rude response - it WAS a little overboard now that I read it again after some much-needed sleep!

Let's just forget the whle thing happened and move on - after all, we're all working towards the same thing here - ICS stability!

Again, please accept my apologies for the somewhat-rude response!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: fyve4321 and Woody

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
No worries here. It has been dropped as far as I am concerned.

Regardless, if like someone earlier posted, the .24 update should be out sooner rather than later, if the patterns with releases still hold.

Reactions: jtrosky

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
jtrosky one one more test scenario to try in case you havent. Launch and use several apps and then without shutting them down by pressing back, close the lid, leave it sleeping for an hour or so and then open it again. If you have chrome try browsing this forum and leave it on with chrome in the foreground. Other things to try are leaving streaming services (radio, youtube) in the foreground when closing the lid.

These were all things that were likely to accelerate a reboot or hang in .21. BTW even with wakelock active, in .21 I get into a rare case where the entire system locks up and stops responding to touch gestures. This happens *while using* the tablet and so far it has happened mainly when trying to launch the Gmail app quickly immediately after exiting another app. Since this is a different symptom I'm not sure its directly related to the original problem. i.e. it could be a user mode deadlock as opposed to a kernel crash. It has happened about 4 times since .21 was released so not very frequently.

Another general observation. I have found the overall ICS bootup time to be really long. The freaking thing takes longer than my PC to boot. Even after I log in (I have to have a login due to the device policy to connect to corporate mail servers) it seems that the system is semi responsive for about a minute since its still loading a bunch of background tasks, Icons don't update, etc. Overall I find ICS to be pretty immature as an OS in this aspect. Bootup times shouldn't take that long and the system should be responsive faster.

Thanks for the input - I will test some of these scenarios today.

vicw

Apr 3, 2011
... Survived overnight again with any RR/SOD issues, which is good news!
I'm sure it was just a typo, but just to be absolutely understood, you did mean to say that you survived overnight again WITHOUT any RR/SOD issues, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I'm sure it was just a typo, but just to be absolutely understood, you did mean to say that you survived overnight again WITHOUT any RR/SOD issues, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ha! Sorry about that! I need to be a little more careful when posting that kinda stuff!!!!

Yes, it should have read "survived overnight again WITHOUT any RR/SOD issues!"

Sorry for the typo! Thanks for pointing that out before things got out of control!!

tpjets62

Mar 29, 2012
Albany, NY
www.hytechnet.com

Good call on this request...I know some people in other forums that had negative results with this issue....

El Niche

Oct 6, 2011
Miami, FL
thanks for the updates jtrosky. I think it has been quite some time since you got the update so Asus might have hit the sweet spot. Too bad there is not too many beta testers (at least updating us) reporting their status w the update. It would be good to have feedback from a larger pool of testers.
But anyway, crossing my fingers this is it and it releases this week.

Mine rebooted yesterday just after light browsing.... I just shut it off overnight now... beats turning it on to an empty battery...

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
@jtrosky Thank´s for sharing your experiencens with the .24 beta! And I don´t want to know about the new features. Looking forward to the suprice ;-)!
...probably means that I gotta stay out of these forums since somenone probably will spill their beans soon.

I like hearing from the pair of beta testers. Lets me know if it looks like Asus is headed in the right direction or not, whether the hope of a fix is sooner or later. Even if the .24 release was nothing but disaster would be useful because seeing how soon a .2x came out would show how much Asus wanted to get a fix out and how much they understood about the problem. Luckily it looks like .24 is better than .21 in terms of a final fix.

Sent from my PG41200 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

wingzero2085

Feb 27, 2011
I also appreciate the updates from the beta testers -- at least there seems to be hope. ;)

To everyone claiming that ICS itself is an unstable OS, I disagree. My Galaxy Nexus is stable as can be running Google's yakju build for it (I think I have had to reboot my phone maybe twice in 2 months for reasons not related to stability at all) & over the weekend I caved and picked up another piece of hardware running ICS (a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0), and even with touchwiz, that thing is outperforming my TF101. Personally, I think Asus' implementation of ICS just leaves something to be desired. Hopefully, they have finally gotten it right with this .24 beta (it sure sounds promising!)

I also want to add that whatever they changed on .21 did not improve my experience whatsoever. In fact, my TF101 has been nothing but far, far worse on .21 than it was on .17. Even simple things crash more frequently, I get more lag on everything (especially anything that calls up the on-screen keyboard), and Angry Birds Space not only freezes, but the graphics go completely haywire! (screen fills up with odd colors, stuff just arbitrarily disappears, etc). .21 was an absolute nightmare for me, though I'm glad to hear that it helped some people, it definitely hasn't done anything good for me. In fact, my hubby's TF101 started rebooting like crazy a couple of days ago (a RR about every 3 hours or so) and the only thing that calmed it down was a cold boot.

I'd prefer that Asus leave this build in testing for a bit longer this time, for obvious reasons (.21 hurt rather than helped me). ;)

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
FYI - one app that I DON'T want to install at this point is the Chrome Beta - I don't think it's a good idea to test a new firmware with apps in the beta stage.... Anyone else have nay thoughts on that??

Once we KNOW that .24 is stable, then we can worry about testing apps in the beta stage...

Starlust

Mar 22, 2012
Probably a good idea. The latest update to Chrome Beta is 100% awful, almost unusable. I'd steer clear of it if you're testing...

wingzero2085

Feb 27, 2011
Probably a good idea. The latest update to Chrome Beta is 100% awful, almost unusable. I'd steer clear of it if you're testing...

Is Chrome Beta causing issues when it is installed? I have barely used it, but I do have it installed on my TF101. I wonder if my whole experience would be improved if I got rid of it.

vicw

Apr 3, 2011
FYI - one app that I DON'T want to install at this point is the Chrome Beta - I don't think it's a good idea to test a new firmware with apps in the beta stage.... Anyone else have nay thoughts on that??

Once we KNOW that .24 is stable, then we can worry about testing apps in the beta stage...

That's probably the right thing to do. I'm a Chrome beta devotee - love the features, but for the purposes of stability testing it's not a proven stable app. Knowing that you didn't use it during beta testing will give me one more thing to avoid if I run into stability problems with .24 after release.

devjazz

Jan 10, 2012
I'd be very surprised if Chrome could cause problems simply by being installed. Its not like its always running in the background unless you launch it.
I personally haven't seen any severe issues in chrome that are worse than the stock browser. In fact I switched to chrome because the stock browser had some major problems with some sites with javascript. It would leak and ultimately crash where chrome behaves better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    We have not been able to replicate the battery drain and random reboot issue that several users have reported after the ICS update and subsequent firmware updates.

As such we are looking for a few volunteers here to run a custom logging problem and report back their results. The system needs to have either the random reboot or battery drain issue and cannot be rooted.

If you are willing to run this logging problem (very much appreciated) then please PM with the following information.

Name
    Email Contact Information
    Serial Number
    Problem Description

Sincerely,
    Gary

Update -
    I will start sending out the logging file and instructions to the test group tomorrow.
    The logging tool simply captures low level OS routines that might lead us to the source problem.

3/21/2012 Update -
    The logging tool was delivered to the first control group tonight. I will send the tool to the second control group tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance and replies.

3/26/2012 Update -
    Thank you for your assistance and log reports. R&D is working on them feverishly right now. I will send out the tool to a third control group shortly.

4/2/2012 Update -

First off, thank you for your assistance and log reports. We are still investigating root causes for some of the problems. As such, personnel from the three control groups might be contacted directly for a system replacement so we can further investigate the lockup problem. I will have an update later this week.

4/9/2012 Update -

Thank you for the continued log reports. We are working through all the data now within R&D and at NVIDIA/Google. As soon as I have word on a Firmware update I will post it here.

4/18/2012 Update -

We sent out a beta Firmware release to a few users for testing. So far, it has solved the problems these users have experienced but I am still waiting on a couple of test updates. We also received back a unit that had the random lockup and screen corruption problem and so far after 22 hours of testing no problems. If the balance of the test updates are positive, we will get this build qualified and releases ASAP.

4/24/2012 Update -

9.2.1.21 will roll out today in North America. This release addresses several of the random reboot and lock problems reported by a few users after upgrading to ICS. It also provides new functionality with WiFi-Direct, Unzip in File Manager, Restore Tab function in the Browser, and general performance/stability tweaks. Although we had a high success rate in the beta testing phase in solving the random reboots, there were a couple of users who still experienced it during deep sleep mode. We are having those systems returned to us for further analysis and regression testing with their particular setups.

5/3/2012 Update -

We will release 9.2.1.24 into beta testing shortly. This firmware contains new NV code based upon the beta test group who still had issues with .21. I will provide updates once the firmware goes out to the beta group but it did fix returned units that experienced random lockups after .21.

5/9/2012 Update -

I have been out with pneumonia but will have messages forwarded to the Customer Care Team. The .24 release is in final qualification testing and will be released shortly.

5/10/2012 Update -

The .24 release is approved and will be released in the near future.

5/14/2012 Update -

The .24 release should go to FOTA later today or early tomorrow. Please shutdown and perform a cold boot after updating.

5/15/2012 Update -

Bad news, Google has changed their CTS qualification requirements on firmware so the .24 release is delayed for a couple of days. We have asked for an exception to release earlier, especially since it already passed qualification testing.

5/16/2012 Update -

The .24 release should go to FOTA very shortly. :)

5/22/2012 Update -

Sorry for the delay, tried not to die from pneumonia last week after a relapse. :) I will start answering general questions again today and forwarding CSR events to the Service Team. Good news is that we have hired a full time employee to assist our Tablet owners in the Android centric forums. His name is Tien Phan and he is available here under the user name Asus_USA. He is part of our new Customer Loyalty Group and will be taking over forum coverage and assisting our valued customers. I will still be around, especially to handle technical problems and coordinate with Engineering until Tien is completely up to speed. However, as always, if you run into a problem that is not solved by our Service Group please feel free to contact me.

5/31/2012 Update -

We are working on another release with updated code from NV/Google. I will be in Taiwan next week to discuss this version and once a beta is available we will release it to a small group of testers. So far, this updated code based has worked extremely well on the TF201/TF300 in beta testing. As soon as I have an update it will be posted.

6/11/2012 Update -

We received additional code enhancements from NV/Google while I was in Taiwan last week. We will create a beta update shortly for testing and hopefully the next firmware update will occur in the next two weeks. I/O and Thread priority changes are the top two items and will address ANR and Sleep issues, however, still testing various application loads as some applications do not want to play nice with thread overrides. ;)

7/4/2012 Update -

New .27 Firmware is released and addresses browser and ANR problems among other items. As always, after the update is complete, clear browser and system caches, shutdown and then power up.
    Hello TF101 users

If you are still experiencing SOD or RR after updating to .24, please send me a PM. When sending a PM, please provide some brief details along with the following information:

- SOD, random reboots, or both.
    - Observed uptime before issues or how often they happen.
    - If you are stock, rooted, flashed ect.
    - best contact e-mail

Also, if you have a bug report you'd like to submit, I am working on gathering them up to send to HQ for analysis. Please PM me also.

Tien
    On the other end of things, my .27 unit is still absolutely fine @stock. Just watched the end of a movie, then played a little bit of a game, then sat and listened to music while I waiting for my laundry to be done, all while using my bluetooth stereo headset. No problems whatsoever.

I've had it with ICS.

I am running stock rooted on my B90. I found .24 quite stable with wifi disabled during sleep. I find .27 more unstable and now I am experiencing problems with GMail & Maps where I had none before. No ICS version is as stable as HC was. I want HC back. ICS has no advantage for me that justifies the aggravation.

I am not interested in custom ROMS or kernals. I've got better things to do than chase that **** around.

Asus, give me HC back, now!

Well, that didn't take long. Not only did my husband's TF101 RR once already, but my games have begun to crash like before and yesterday evening, my WiFi cut out requiring a reboot to get it back, just as it has been doing on .24. *sigh* So much for "fixes", Asus. Oh, and the hubby's TF101 also lost sound already, too.

well that's nice and consistent....

For my part, when the tablet is alive and working, .27 seems good and stable and better than .21 and .24. No crashes, just one case where Dolphin stopped responding - and that was a failure on the wireless signal where I was using the tablet.

I do, however, have an issue regarding the device sleeping. I can only wake the device by a long-press of the power switch and it does seem to drain the battery excessively too.

Asus & Gary: I'm sorry about your impressions about people's responses here but you are largely the cause of this harsh language by your lack of communication. There are two activities that are crucial to the management of any problem - be it IT related or not. One activity is obviously the activity needed to fix the problem and you clearly have people working on this, albeit without apparently considering a roll back to Honeycomb.

And then there is the communication. This in many ways is the more crucial activity and it is here that you have been weaker than you should have been. You may disagree, but let me put this in perspective:

Ask yourselves
    • How much communication has there been about your new products?
    • How much communication has there been about this issue?
    • What channels do you use to communicate to your NEW customers
    • What channels have you used to communicate to your TF101 users?

I follow you on Twitter, Facebook and here. I look at your Asus web site, I am a 'VIP' on your system. The communication about this issue has been woeful. This is why you now have angry users, not because you've not fixed it, but because you seem to be ignoring it - and therefore us.

Let's look at the news on your Global site today:
    ASUS Global said:
    The ASUS Transformer Pad Design Story
    2012/06/25
    Always at the forefront of technology, ASUS has proven with its Transformer Pad family of tablets that they are in tune with what consumers require from their mobile devices. Launched in March 2011, the Eee Pad Transformer showed ASUS' ingenuity and innovative thinking with the Mobile Dock design...
    Really? In tune? Come on. Prove to me, prove to us all that this is true. Give us HC back. Come up with a communication strategy that lets us know what is happening, regularly. Until you do, until you realise that the world is not just made up of 'new sales' but also of 'existing users' who you have already won to your cause. Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Asus. We are all part of the same team here. The ball has been passed back to you, you have an open goal in front of you, do you score? Do you miss? Or do you pass it back to us and give up?

Your call.
    Gary's note in post #1 says to do it after the update.. Seriously doubt it makes a whit of difference.
    It doesn't, it just shows that they don't have a fscking clue on how their own product works.

This is what happens during an OTA update:
    1. DMClient writes the dlpkgfile and the commands for recovery in /cache
    2. DMClient updates the boot parameter partition to force a boot in recovery mode and reboots the system
    3. the boodloader cold boots the current recovery kernel image from partition SOS
    4. the recovery kernel image runs init which transfers control to recovery
    5. recovery picks up the parameter file from /cache, then unpacks and verifies the dlpkgfile
    6. recovery runs the updater-script which in turns verifies the integrity of the target system (if you modified some key files it will bail out and show the red exclamation mark), applies patches, extracts new files, resets all permissions (that's where you lose root access :rolleyes:), flashes the blob to the staging partition, wipes the Dalvik cache, clears the boot parameter partition and then reboots the system
    7. the bootloader picks up the blob from the staging partition, verifies its layout and rewrites the partitions specified in its header (for a .21->.24 OTA this means EBT, SOS and LNX - bootloader, recovery and main kernel image)
    8. the bootloader restarts itself to pick up the new partition layout and/or a new version of itself
    9. the bootloader cold boots the main kernel image from partition LNX
    10. the system boots normally up to AndroidRuntime startup, at which point dexopt is started up on all user apps to rebuild the Dalvik cache
    11. end of the update process :)
    As you can see, a cold boot before or after upgrading is absolutely pointless because both are going to happen anyway (it's the way the bootloader works when switching between recovery and main kernel - it always performs a cold boot).
    This thread started under a spirit of cooperation. It had since devolved into one of confrontation. Now we are trying to lift the discourse back to cooperation once again. Change is often hard fought, and the natural tendency of things is to fall and degrade. And, let's face it, the levels of people skills here can vary widely. Let's not give into temptation and regress again now into personal arguments. We need to look forwards and ever upwards, together.

It is, of course, ASUS's responsibility to provide a solution to this problem, and I still expect no less from ASUS. Let that be clear. None of us on XDA caused it, and none of us on XDA can fix it [Nvidia closed source drivers]. Some "solutions" on XDA help mask it, but masking it is not a fix nor does that help the greater non-XDA TF101 ownership at large. It would be morally and ethically reprehensible for ASUS to leave the TF101 ownership in this state - but I still have faith that they will do the right thing. I have faith that their people, Gary Key and Tien Phan, are good men, honorable men, trying to do the right thing to the best of their capabilities and positions. Gary has proven to me, by the speed and content of his last in-thread response, that he does read this thread, and I commend him for that. He has not abandoned this issue, despite the various levels of discourse, and I do trust he will persevere until he ultimately brings us the solution we need.

The major culprit in front of us has been identified: it is the "out of memory" issues being kicked up by Nvidia OpenGL. We need someone within ASUS championing our cause, and that person can only be Gary. However, Gary does not go about this alone. Many of us in this thread are still very willing to cooperate. Gary only needs to tell us what he needs from us, what he needs us to do, who he needs us to call and harass, etc. Please, by all means, use us if we can help at all. All I ask is that we please try our best to reach the solution soon and to pursue it with renewed vigor. We are all getting a little bit restless over this, and the tide can't be held back forever.