5,226 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,891

By AdamOutler, Inactive Recognized Developer on 8th November 2011, 05:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2011, 03:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you very much for this guide.
Could you also describe what tools (soldering iron etc) do you use?
22nd November 2011, 08:14 PM |#12  
I use a Radio Shack digital soldering iron. It's nothing special but it's temperature controlled and has a fine point.
12th December 2011, 05:20 PM |#13  
I made some more overlays

here is Exynos4210

This is from OMAP 4460, but I'm pretty sure it applies to OMAP 4430 as well
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AdamOutler Ad-Free
27th December 2011, 03:36 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
verry intresting, soon i try
shaky156
28th December 2011, 02:16 PM |#15  

More
Seriously this guys work is awsome, learnt quite abit from your work, thank you very much!

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
28th December 2011, 07:06 PM |#16  
Flag Tangerang City
Thanks Meter: 244

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesai

I wish i could try it, but i am sure i wont be able to, lol

Same here but why dont giveit a try... just encourage
1st January 2012, 08:44 PM |#17  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag -∇ϕ
Thanks Meter: 2,216

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

... It takes a multi-thousand dollar professional setup in order to make sure no damage is done. I use a digital temperature controlled heat gun. It works, but it's not accurate.

Sorry Adam, you have a great writeup, but this is really a BS statement!

-- You can easily unsolder a BGA chip with a $5 micro-blow-torch! You just have to make sure you shield the surrounding components from the excessive heat. Put a small piece of copper (a penny?) on top of the chip, then put a piece of low-temperature (lead-free) solder on top of the coin, so you can get an idea when you have enough heat. Continue 10-20 seconds. Very carefully try to jam a few sharp toothpicks under any space between chip and PCB. Never bend!

This technique is well known and well demonstrated on YouTube, ever since the HP/Nvidia scandal of video chips falling of the MOBO after dust blocking the fan intake with (purposely) under-dimensioned and faulty heat-sink design.

The problem is getting it back ON! Then you need to invest in a professional heat plate and re-balling grid.
6th March 2012, 05:14 PM |#18  

More
excuse me mister, i have done it, n my tab turn back on, now i have another problem, the screen is black and the bottom light is on, could you help me?
7th March 2012, 01:04 PM |#19  
^^ good idea! I've always used a high power and small heat gun. It works for 99% of the pads, but I always lose 1 or 2. I never intend to put them back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apram75

excuse me mister, i have done it, n my tab turn back on, now i have another problem, the screen is black and the bottom light is on, could you help me?

This is the wrong place to post that. And it does not really make sense that you did this in context.
8th March 2012, 10:09 PM |#20  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,477

Donate to Me
More
Unsoldering a BGA is easy.

Doing it without causing unrecoverable damage is a different story. Same for resoldering it back on.

However it is getting easier nowadays - temp-controlled hot air rework stations have dropped drastically in price - http://www.amazon.com/Updated-Aoyue-...ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Also, reflowing a BGA without removing it (such as for Xbox360 RRoD fixes) is a LOT easier than remove-and-replace.

Also - my personal favorite deal in terms of soldering irons is http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digi...1244730&sr=1-1 - The Aoyue 937 is amazing considering it is <$50.
12th March 2012, 05:10 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Thank a lot
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)