[Q] official KitKat ota error

Search This thread

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester
I tried to update to KitKat officially over the air but I get an error message , I had a custom recovery but flashed back to a version of the stock recovery,thing is I think its the recovery that's the problem,I don't know which version of the moto g its from (tesco,us,Brazil) I'm not sure so I'm on the unlocked UK ROM retail.gb.en.GB bought from phones 4u . am I right in thinking that the recovery is the problem and would anyone have a copy of the recovery I'm looking for??

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I tried to update to KitKat officially over the air but I get an error message , I had a custom recovery but flashed back to a version of the stock recovery,thing is I think its the recovery that's the problem,I don't know which version of the moto g its from (tesco,us,Brazil) I'm not sure so I'm on the unlocked UK ROM retail.gb.en.GB bought from phones 4u . am I right in thinking that the recovery is the problem and would anyone have a copy of the recovery I'm looking for??

Are you also rooted, if so that's more likely the error.

There should be links in the forums to UK retail images.

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I'm rooted yes but I did the temporary unroot option that's found in super su but I suppose the files are in the system still,the progress bar moves about a third of the way through the update then fails.

I have read in other threads that the unroot option possibly still leaves some system files different from what they originally were.

If possible can you flash cwm or twrp and backup /system. Then unpack/untar the backup on your PC and look at file

/system/etc/install- recovery.sh

See if it mentions superSU in the comments. This file is altered by superSU and I've heard it may be this file that does not get set back to its default when you unroot.

I can send you original file but you'd have to find a way to copy it to /system - hard if unrooted!! Maybe copy it and then unroot as I *think* this may work. The file seems to just start root daemon on boot so should be able to overwrite while rooted and then unroot.

I'm rooted and my update failed third of way through as well. However I wanted it to so updated while rooted on purpose as I want to stay on 4.3 (updating and letting it fail stops the 'update reminder').

Last edited:

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester
I have read in other threads that the unroot option possibly still leaves some system files different from what they originally were.

If possible can you flash cwm or twrp and backup /system. Then unpack/untar the backup on your PC and look at file

/system/etc/install- recovery.sh

See if it mentions superSU in the comments. This file is altered by superSU and I've heard it may be this file that does not get set back to its default when you unroot.

I can send you original file but you'd have to find a way to copy it to /system - hard if unrooted!! Maybe copy it and then unroot as I *think* this may work. The file seems to just start root daemon on boot so should be able to overwrite while rooted and then unroot.

I'm rooted and my update failed third of way through as well. However I wanted it to so updated while rooted on purpose as I want to stay on 4.3 (updating and letting it fail stops the 'update reminder').

Yeah,send it,I'll try copying it,unrooting and then trying the update

tee_pot

Jan 7, 2014
Brighton

check out this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2611544

my posts have links to guides/files that helped me fix the OTA update error, and the thread as a whole should help you out :)

xTx

Reactions: kieranc88

kieranc88

Oct 1, 2012
manchester

my posts have links to guides/files that helped me fix the OTA update error, and the thread as a whole should help you out :)

xTx

OK,well at the moment I'm trying out cm11 unofficial builds,I'll see how they go, I'll try the full unroot option when I restore my cwm backup and reflash stock recovery and see if that works ,as I only tried the temporary unroot option in supersu(which is probably leaving some root files behind so it can reinstall su ) if that don't work I'll flash back to stock and try again.

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011

I have attached the file /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file to this post (had to gzip it as couldnt upload when it was just called .sh)

Im not sure what the original persmissions of the file should be on your phone, but if you make it read/write/executable by everyone then should be OK I guess.

As I mentioned it'd be good if you unrooted and did a backup and extracted the file to see the contents (before copying over the file). That would first tell you for sure if the file does revert back to original or if it stays as a 'superSU' file when you unroot.

If its reverted back to original then my theory is wrong anyway so no need to copy over the file.

Re the stock recovery type/version being different from what is expected - I dont know if that makes a difference to the OTA working or not. Its an interesting question though so I may do some googling and find out.

Attachments

• install-recovery.sh.gz
    754 bytes · Views: 4
Reactions: kieranc88

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I also have a UK retail stock recovery.img (taken with CWM) (my phone is 16GB from phones4u). So if you want that you can have it. Should rule out the recovery type as a problem.

FYI the install-recovery.sh original file actually flashes a new stock recovery when an OTA is performed. At least if you look in the comments of the file I attached above thats what it says.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

xTx

I will send file tomorrow when I'm at my PC.

I have attached the file /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file to this post (had to gzip it as couldnt upload when it was just called .sh)

Im not sure what the original persmissions of the file should be on your phone, but if you make it read/write/executable by everyone then should be OK I guess.

As I mentioned it'd be good if you unrooted and did a backup and extracted the file to see the contents (before copying over the file). That would first tell you for sure if the file does revert back to original or if it stays as a 'superSU' file when you unroot.

If its reverted back to original then my theory is wrong anyway so no need to copy over the file.

Re the stock recovery type/version being different from what is expected - I dont know if that makes a difference to the OTA working or not. Its an interesting question though so I may do some googling and find out.