[Q] What dash installation ROM?

Search This thread
Aug 18, 2012
Currently running timurs rom but it crashes a lot. Are there other roms that allow fast charge, sleep/wake with power, on screen volume etc.

Any help greatly appreciated

:)

[deXter]

Aug 23, 2008
Currently running timurs rom but it crashes a lot. Are there other roms that allow fast charge, sleep/wake with power, on screen volume etc.

I've been running Timur's ROM as well and I really want an alternative as well as I've been facing issues with the ROM, and it looks like Timur has discontinued development on the 2012 model. :(

From what I've seen so far though CM11 should support USB DACs so I'm keen to try that out.

Some notes:

Fast charge - that's a kernel setting so any custom kernel should allow that.

Sleep/Wake on power - After many months of usage, sleep or even firm sleep has been a hit or miss for me. When it works, it works really well but sometimes a some random app might cause a wakelock, draining the battery. Even otherwise, there are many other issues such as USB audio doesn't resume. Plus the battery tends to drains quicker + looses health because of being in a hot car.

So instead, what I'm planning to do, is to just completely shutdown/boot up a tablet on power. Some notes:
- Bootup time is fairly quick - about 30 seconds, upto a minute, which is acceptable for me. You can reduce the startup time even further by using apps like BootManager to prevent unnecessary apps from starting up. Perhaps we can slim down the ROM further by deleting unnecessary apks etc.
- Fresh start is always a better option - you don't want your tablet to crash while driving right? I've had to reboot many times before or during driving, and it annoys me to say the least.
- USB audio always works fine when booted (well, with Timur's ROM anyways, need to test with CM11/others)
- No battery drain due to device standby or wakelocks
- No overheating and loss of battery health
- For shutdown on power loss, we can use Tasker. Maybe make a script to first turn the screen off, and after say 10 minutes of idle turn off the device completely (this will give us a chance to resume quickly in case we stopped the car for some reason).
- For startup on power, we can use the fastboot oem command to make the device automatically power up

On-Screen Volume: From daily usage, this hasn't been very practical in reality. I mean if you're driving, you really shouldn't be looking at the screen and trying to aim at the tiny buttons. Instead, a better option would be to use gestures to control the volume. There are heaps of apps for this, eg: All In One Gestures, Tasker, Gesture Navigation, GMD GestureControl, etc. You could use a single-swipe down and swipe-up to increase the volume up/down. Swipe left/right to change tracks. Two finger swipes to switch between apps. Just use your imagniation. :)

Might seem like a lot of work initially, but IMHO it'll be worth it, at least to get a stable ROM which is updated regularly (not to mention, you get to use the newest GApps!).
My only concern is to get the DAC working on startup. Might have to look into Timur's startup scripts to see how he does it - maybe even port the FHD scripts over to 2012 if necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamsilver1987
Aug 18, 2012
thanks. this may sounds stupid ( im new to this rooting thing etc ) i am running paranoidandroid ROM. seems to run smoothly. i have flashed/installed that kernel and nothing is different. no extra settings etc? am i doing something wrong ?

thanks again

Aug 18, 2012
ok downloaded that and it means nothing to me im afraid. how would i turn on fast charge for example or OTG host mode, firm sleep etc ?

only thing i can find where i assume you can set things is the " SysCtrl Editor" but it jsut comes up with a huge list of stuff that i have no idea about.

i assume i need to find fast charge in sysctrl and change it from 0 to 1... but cant find anything under the search. not a clue what id be looking for :(

starting to think Timurs rom was simple compared to this. haha

thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2012
i saw that, but yet again. dont know how to use it ? where do i place it on the tablet. it doesnt show up in recovery mode

[deXter]

Aug 23, 2008
You have to install it. Copy it to your device and then use a file manager to open and install it. It will create an icon in your drawer. When you open it, you'll have options to configure firm-sleep etc.

Reactions: adamsilver1987
Aug 18, 2012
Done. Worked at first but now I've reverted to timurs rom. The tablet froze loads. Wouldnt open some apps at all and power on/off with ignition wasn't reliable. Sometimes it woke, sometimes it didnt. Will give it another go when i habe more time i think.

[deXter]

Aug 23, 2008
On a related note, I haven't had much luck with getting my DAC to work with other ROMs - even with Kang-aroo kernel. I'll have to try CM11 with _crue_'s USB audio patches and Netfluke's kernel this weekend and see how it goes.

Edit: No luck. Maybe because it's I'm on tilapia. Even with cm11, Netfluke's latest kernel, and _crue_'s updated audio patches for cm11, couldn't get it to work. And it's a Fiio E17, which I've had no issues with on Timur's ROM.

And no, I'm not going back to Timur's CM10 - it's old. I can't use any of the newer GApps on it, and the ROM is buggy.

I think I'll swap my tilapia with my 2013 deb and use that as a car device instead. It looks like Timur just updated his kernel to v1.0 which fixes a lot of bugs - at least it's being actively developed. As for my tilapia, I'll switch to a more stable/mainstream ROM like Omni and forget about USB audio for now.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've been running Timur's ROM as well and I really want an alternative as well as I've been facing issues with the ROM, and it looks like Timur has discontinued development on the 2012 model. :(

From what I've seen so far though CM11 should support USB DACs so I'm keen to try that out.

Some notes:

Fast charge - that's a kernel setting so any custom kernel should allow that.

Sleep/Wake on power - After many months of usage, sleep or even firm sleep has been a hit or miss for me. When it works, it works really well but sometimes a some random app might cause a wakelock, draining the battery. Even otherwise, there are many other issues such as USB audio doesn't resume. Plus the battery tends to drains quicker + looses health because of being in a hot car.

So instead, what I'm planning to do, is to just completely shutdown/boot up a tablet on power. Some notes:
    - Bootup time is fairly quick - about 30 seconds, upto a minute, which is acceptable for me. You can reduce the startup time even further by using apps like BootManager to prevent unnecessary apps from starting up. Perhaps we can slim down the ROM further by deleting unnecessary apks etc.
    - Fresh start is always a better option - you don't want your tablet to crash while driving right? I've had to reboot many times before or during driving, and it annoys me to say the least.
    - USB audio always works fine when booted (well, with Timur's ROM anyways, need to test with CM11/others)
    - No battery drain due to device standby or wakelocks
    - No overheating and loss of battery health
    - For shutdown on power loss, we can use Tasker. Maybe make a script to first turn the screen off, and after say 10 minutes of idle turn off the device completely (this will give us a chance to resume quickly in case we stopped the car for some reason).
    - For startup on power, we can use the fastboot oem command to make the device automatically power up

On-Screen Volume: From daily usage, this hasn't been very practical in reality. I mean if you're driving, you really shouldn't be looking at the screen and trying to aim at the tiny buttons. Instead, a better option would be to use gestures to control the volume. There are heaps of apps for this, eg: All In One Gestures, Tasker, Gesture Navigation, GMD GestureControl, etc. You could use a single-swipe down and swipe-up to increase the volume up/down. Swipe left/right to change tracks. Two finger swipes to switch between apps. Just use your imagniation. :)

Might seem like a lot of work initially, but IMHO it'll be worth it, at least to get a stable ROM which is updated regularly (not to mention, you get to use the newest GApps!).
    My only concern is to get the DAC working on startup. Might have to look into Timur's startup scripts to see how he does it - maybe even port the FHD scripts over to 2012 if necessary.
    do you have a link to any fast charge kernels ? all i can find is Timurs ?

thanks

Kang-aroo kernel.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2558717

Supports fastcharge, OTG, hotplug DAC, firm sleep, multiboot and more.
    thanks. this may sounds stupid ( im new to this rooting thing etc ) i am running paranoidandroid ROM. seems to run smoothly. i have flashed/installed that kernel and nothing is different. no extra settings etc? am i doing something wrong ?

thanks again

Use a kernel tweaking app, like TricksterMod.
    You have to install it. Copy it to your device and then use a file manager to open and install it. It will create an icon in your drawer. When you open it, you'll have options to configure firm-sleep etc.