Remove All Ads from XDA

HDR Video Playback Discussion Thread

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By radioham, Junior Member on 7th May 2017, 07:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi.
I got a Tab S3 2 days ago.
I've tested with MX PLAYER all heavy HEVC HDR videos, 10 bits UHD 2160p @60fps, and of course all other formats and bitrates.
EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT. All in HW or HW+.
Even the AVC h.264 UHD 2160p @60fps "Big Buck Bunny" works perfectly and fludly in HW+ (jonathonalexander told it didn't work fluidly???).
This Tab S3 is a must!
Also tested European version of Galaxy S8 with Exynos 8895 and it's able to read excatly the same video files as Tab S3 with absolutly no jitter.
Both Tab S3 and Galaxy S8 claim to work HDR file formats and it's true.
The Following User Says Thank You to radioham For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift radioham Ad-Free

7th May 2017, 09:12 PM |#2  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 351

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioham

Hi.
Also tested European version of Galaxy S8 with Exynos 8895 and it's able to read excatly the same video files as Tab S3 with absolutly no jitter.
Both Tab S3 and Galaxy S8 claim to work HDR file formats and it's true.

while you're right that it "works" in HW+ mode, it appears that MX player doesn't support HDR10 playback. it's easy to test if you play the same file in stock S8 video player which has no problems with local HDR playback. in fact, i wasn't able to reproduce HDR in any available 3rd party players.
7th May 2017, 10:43 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannequin

while you're right that it "works" in HW+ mode, it appears that MX player doesn't support HDR10 playback. it's easy to test if you play the same file in stock S8 video player which has no problems with local HDR playback. in fact, i wasn't able to reproduce HDR in any available 3rd party players.

Do you mean that MX Player can't reproduce the wider color space of HDR10 video files?
Unfortunately I was not able to make many tests on Galaxy S8 because it wasn't mine. The owner has only installed MX PLAYER which was working very well and we didn't test native S8 video player.
Question: is it the same player as TAB S3? (this one's version is 7.2.81 in French TAB S3)
TFor information there's only one video that this Samsung player can't play the video but only sound track: LG_4K-View-the-Felling.mp4
This video is played by MX PLAYER without any problem.
8th May 2017, 04:29 AM |#4  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

Do you mean that MX Player can't reproduce the wider color space of HDR10 video files?

like i said, playing the file itself is not a problem but looks like MX doesn't pick up any HDR metadata so you're not getting the proper contrast range and luminance levels in specular highlights along with wider color gamut.

edit: i looked through the thread but didn't see the answer: does MX support HDR metadata at all?
8th May 2017, 05:15 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Samsung tells that S8 and Tab S3 are HDR capable, is it true or not?
On my Tab S3 I've tried HDR videos from demos UHD 3D website with native Samsung player and Mx Player, and to tell you the truth I didn't see any difference...
So which player should be able to play HDR videos with visible difference?
9th May 2017, 04:15 AM |#7  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

Samsung tells that S8 and Tab S3 are HDR capable, is it true or not?
On my Tab S3 I've tried HDR videos from demos UHD 3D website with native Samsung player and Mx Player, and to tell you the truth I didn't see any difference...
So which player should be able to play HDR videos with visible difference?

on S8, native video player definitely supports HDR metadata. MX has issues with some HDR files (as in, doesn't pick up the metadata).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirrat

Who wants test HDR capability, download these videos

those look great and play in HDR in both native and MX player on S8. however, i can only speak for Jazz demo since i don't own any Dolby Vision equipment and while the Dolby ones do look HDR i'm not entirely sure if they look right. not sure why would Dolby HDR be supported on S8 to begin with either.
9th May 2017, 01:43 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,033

More
Quote:

on S8, native video player definitely supports HDR metadata. MX has issues with some HDR files (as in, doesn't pick up the metadata).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

those look great and play in HDR in both native and MX player on S8. however, i can only speak for Jazz demo since i don't own any Dolby Vision equipment and while the Dolby ones do look HDR i'm not entirely sure if they look right. not sure why would Dolby HDR be supported on S8 to begin with either.

which decoder you have tried?
HW decoder doesn't work either on such videos?
9th May 2017, 01:44 PM |#9  
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

which decoder you have tried?
HW decoder doesn't work either on such videos?

HW and HW+ work no problem.
9th May 2017, 01:47 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,033

More
Quote:

HW and HW+ work no problem.

I have asked this as you have mentioned that MX doesn't pickup meta data.
So, what's the exact issue?
can you add some snapshots?

If you can add more info, it will be better. I will forward the issue to our devs team.
9th May 2017, 03:58 PM |#11  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I can confirm that my s8 plus exynos version can play HEVC 1080p 10bit HDR in HW and HW+ mode on mxplayer. Also played it in stock player and couldnt find any difference between both apps. Seems to be working well with HDR in both. Also played a 12bit 720p HEVC video but Mxplayer could only play it in SW mode.
Havent tried 4k yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)