Possible A2DP skipping solution!

Search This thread

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
I'm guessing you just paired.... Mine works great on initial pairing... then skipped on subsequent connections, even after restarting phone / headunit etc. (sounds like you paired, set off, came back and it started skipping, on the second connection... exactly like mine)

See my Thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=6667767#post6667767

Hey Trinode, I just read your other thread and i was wondering what headunit you are using? I am using a Kenwood DNX7120 which uses a parrot bay manufactured bluetooth (I think). I wish I could narrow this down, but unfortunately my other car with a factory nav/bluetooth does not support a2dp.

RazzTick

Jul 3, 2010
Hi, I hope this isn't a dead topic but I wanted to post my findings after experiencing the similar problems.
I have a rooted G1 with Cyanogenmod 4.2.15.1 with a Samsung WEP870. I paired it up per instructions but thought it a little strange that it did not ask for a pairing code. I read it might not do this so I paid no mind to it. When I first tried to listen to music I got short 1 second blips of sound. I fixed this by disabling/enabling BT and then it worked fine. When I turned on the headset the next day it was the same problem as before. I noticed that if nothing played over the headset for more than a few mins I would get the skipping problem again until I turned off/on the headset, rebooted the phone or disabled/enabled BT. Same thing happened with GPS Navigation. I could hear the initial instructions if they were fairly close to another but if more than a few minutes went by then the audio sounded choppy.
After reading the post here along with the suggestion to unpair and pair the headset again I did just that. Strangely when I selected Disconnect and Unpair the phone asked for the pairing code at that moment. Prior to this the headset options read:

Connected to phone audio
Connected to media audio

After entering the pairing code now it reads:

Use for phone audio
Connected to media audio.

It works fine so far. I have tested the media audio at random intervals and it plays fine and I can still use the headset for phone calls. The only drawback is that I have to perform the same Disconnect and Unpair and enter the pairing code each time I turn on the headset. I have only tested this in my apt. so over the next couple of days I will see how it behaves on the road and post my findings.

If you need me to post more details please let me know since I would like a more permanent solution as well.

RazzTick

Jul 3, 2010
Here's what I have so far:

Like I posted above if I select Disconnect and Unpair the G1 prompts me to enter the pairing code and then displays

Use for Phone audio
Connected to Media Audio

Media audio works flawlessly. However, if I make or receive a call then the settings change back to

Connected to Phone Audio
Connected to Media Audio

At this point I start experiencing the skipping sound with the media audio which I can fix by turning the WEP870 off/on but it still happens again until I Disconnect and Unpair again. This is fine if I am in any other setting except driving since if I need to use the Navigator and get or make a call it's not ideal to try to fix it in that scenario. For now it is not a big deal for me so the workaround is fine but I hope they can fix it cause it doesn't seem like another headset will fix the problem.

naorion

Apr 30, 2008
Arlington
www.thetexangamer.com
Has anyone figured out how to change the bitpool settings in Android yet? I picked up an evo and I'm hating life with the distortion of the mids/highs and wish I had access to these settings like I did in WinMo

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Headset: Motorola S9-HD
ROM: Haykuro 6.0
Radio: ota-radio-2_22_19_26I

Issue: a2dp audio skips due to location of phone... or so it seemed. The audio would skip if the phone was placed across my body from the antenna or in a pocket.

Resolution: I began researching the bluez stack and found several places in the code that alluded to the hfp and a2dp being intertwined. This lead me to remember that android also attempts to switch between the hfp and a2dp for incoming calls.

I found that my headset was connected by default with both profiles active (not one at a time).

Thus after several test i found that disabling the hfp will eliminate the skipping.

Explanation: My best analysis is that the phone is keeping both profiles open at the expense of splitting the channel. Thus when the phone has gsm related events (incoming calls, tower hopping, background edge data) it is tying up the hfp by error thus causing a2dp to get reduced resources, low signal strength, and possibly packet collisions. Try for yourself. The skipping instantly stopped for me. Let me know how it goes for you! Thanks to all the devs for these great roms and info.

This is g1 development, not Motorola S9-HD!!!

se0siris

Dec 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
overthere.co.uk
This is g1 development, not Motorola S9-HD!!!
Motorola S9-HD:
211402234.jpg

;)

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
Here's what I have so far:

Like I posted above if I select Disconnect and Unpair the G1 prompts me to enter the pairing code and then displays

Use for Phone audio
Connected to Media Audio

Media audio works flawlessly. However, if I make or receive a call then the settings change back to

Connected to Phone Audio
Connected to Media Audio

At this point I start experiencing the skipping sound with the media audio which I can fix by turning the WEP870 off/on but it still happens again until I Disconnect and Unpair again. This is fine if I am in any other setting except driving since if I need to use the Navigator and get or make a call it's not ideal to try to fix it in that scenario. For now it is not a big deal for me so the workaround is fine but I hope they can fix it cause it doesn't seem like another headset will fix the problem.

I dont know if this will answer your question or help your situation, but the skipping problem occurs when the phones bluetooth is used for both media audio and phone audio at the same time.

If you use the bluetooth for only media, you will not have any audio issues but you will not be able to use the headset for phone audio.
I also tried to trick the system by pairing media audio to my car headunit, and using a BT headset for phone audio but I experienced the same issue.

One thing I can't remember though is if this problem exists with OEM Roms or Cooked Roms only. It's been so long since I used an OEM Rom that I don't remember how it worked before. If it is isolated to Cooked Roms, I am holding out hope that a Dev will fix this issue..

R

r3s-rt

One thing I can't remember though is if this problem exists with OEM Roms or Cooked Roms only. It's been so long since I used an OEM Rom that I don't remember how it worked before. If it is isolated to Cooked Roms, I am holding out hope that a Dev will fix this issue..

I'm going to go ahead and say, don't get your hopes up. The chances of this being isolated to just cooked ROMs are slim-to-none.

dcorrea

Dec 20, 2007
Now I am confused.. maybe it's not the G1!

So my wife bought me the new Jawbone Icon BT earpiece for my birthday, and it is capable of A2DP. I loaded the updated firmware, paired it to my phone, and I have A2DP media and phone audio working flawlessly. I have been listening to music through the ear pierce for the last two hours with not a single hiccup! I even made a phone call to stop the music, and after the call I went back to the music without a hitch. Hmmm....

flip3547

CM6 Nightly

Well after searching, I've still found no good solution. I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Jabra Extreme. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just got the earpiece for bday and wanted for 6 mths now. Hate to not use it the way it was intended.

jdougs

Dec 23, 2009
Central Indiana
My EVO 4G is bone stock and the audio on my s9hd is flawless as long as I'm sitting still. As soon as I walk around the skipping starts 1 to 3 seconds at a time. Outdoors its even worse. I have tried the rebooting and disabled WiFi suggestions as well as the audio only setting in the Bluetooth menu with no difference whatsoever. If there are any other ideas out there I would love to hear them.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App