No

20 Vote(s)
27.78%

[3/31] Fix for KitKat Update Failing - Without ROOTING

682 posts
Thanks Meter: 332

By mazdamiata210, Senior Member on 31st March 2014, 02:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO START FROM STEP 1 AND FOLLOW EACH STEP EXACTLY HOW I HAVE WROTE IT THEN YOU WILL FAIL. THIS METHOD WORKS IF YOU CAN FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

IF YOU DID NOT RESTORE YOUR PHONE AND FOLLOW EACH STEP EXACTLY HOW I LISTED BELOW THEN DO NOT SAY THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU.

Step 1. Follow @evilpotatoman 's guide below to restore your phone to MJ5 FIRST

Guide:

1) Download and install Heimdall from here for windows. You'll need this and this to avoid missing .dll file errors

2) Download the following files:

MI9_fix.img.ext4
sec_csc.zip
2400258.zip

Put sec_csc.zip and 2400258.zip on your external SD card

3) Download and install the MJ5 partitions. Use Odin to flash these files (match the file names with the different upload slots)
AP_N900AUCUBMJ5.zip
BL_N900AUCUBMJ5.zip
CP_N900AUCUBMJ5.zip
HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit

4) Now is the time to use Heimdall.

Reboot into Download Mode once Odin finishes.
Install the vcredist packages downloaded from step 1.
unzip the heimdall .zip file to c:/
go to c:/Heimdall Suite/Drivers and click on zadig.exe
click the middle menu button to select "Show All Devices"

from the dropdown, select MSM8960

click the "install driver" button.

you should see a success message

5) Navigate on your computer to c:/Heimdall Suite/ and open heimdall-frontend.exe.

IMPORTANT -- Go to the Utilities tab and click the "Detect" button
Go to the Flash tab on Heimdall, click Browse and select the HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit file downloaded from step 3
Click the 'add' button, then next to 'partition name' select system from the dropdown.

click the Browse button underneath the dropdown, and select the MI9_fix.img.ext4 image you downloaded from step 2.

6) Click Start. ***I usually check the 'No Reboot' box to prepare for booting into recovery

7) Heimdall and your Note will report a bad flash at around 95% -- but don't worry -- your system.img got uploaded Reboot directly into recovery mode.

8) Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the sec_csc.zip you downloaded earlier (did you remember to put that file on your external SD card?). This will install the CSC files and run the preload checkin so you don't FC all over the place

9) IMPORTANT--After flashing the sec_csc, the Note will reboot.
Try to catch it in time to reboot BACK into recovery
Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the 2400258.zip you downloaded earlier.

END OF MJ5 RESTORE GUIDE - CONTINUE BELOW

Step 2. YOU ARE NOW ON MJ5 BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE NB4 OTA UPDATE BEFORE CONTINUING!!!

Step 3. When you're finished the restore guide to MJ5 and updated to NB4 then delete any other files used from the restore guide so you don't mix them up and download the following 2 files:
1- Miata KitKat Fix v1

2- KitKat Ota Zip
Step 4. Extract the Miata_KK_Fix_1.0.zip to the root of your BOTH your phone storage and your sd card. (make sure they are not in any folders!!!)

Step 5. Once both files in the Miata_KK_Fix_1.0.zip are extracted and copied to both your phone and the sd card... then reboot the phone.

VERY IMPORTANT TO REBOOT NOW

Step 6. Pick one of the follow options...

(Option A) - Wipes phone - I recommend this method
1. Rename 2400258.zip to update.zip and copy to EXTERNAL STORAGE (aka sd card)

UNPLUG USB CABLE BEFORE CONTINUING

2. Reboot into RECOVERY MODE (volume up + home) and select "Apply Update from external storage" and select your update.zip

3. It should start the update process and finish successfully! Enjoy!
If you made it this far and it fails or gives you an error then you did something wrong. Start from step 1 restoring your phone to MJ5

(Option B) - Doesn't wipe phone
1. You are going to need an ADB Side loader and it can be found here.

2. Extract to directory C:\Mini-SDK

3. Rename 2400258.zip to update. (DO NOT NAME UPDATE.ZIP, JUST "update".)

4. Place "UPDATE" into the same folder as your ADB C:\Mini-SDK

5. Hold shift and right click in the folder to "Open command window here"

6. Reboot your phone into RECOVERY MODE (volume up + home)

7. Select "Apply update from ADB"

8. Plug phone into usb on PC

9. In your command window type "adb sideload update" without quotes and enjoy!
If you made it this far and it fails or gives you an error then you did something wrong. Start from step 1 restoring your phone to MJ5

(Option C) - Untested
1. Settings, General, About, Software Update, Check for updates...

2. Download and install update

Thanks @opsmgr3774 for the donation!

Thanks @Ciberious42 and @evilpotatoman and anyone else I forgot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2024
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	2660602  
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to mazdamiata210 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mazdamiata210 Ad-Free
31st March 2014, 02:14 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.

More
Q&A

1. Is this safe?
Yes it's using the same exploit from Root De La Vega to run a script that replaces the bad file that is stopping the OTA from installing.

What the script does:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system

rm /system/bin/mobicore-presetup.sh
cp /sdcard/mobicore-presetup.sh /system/bin
rm /sdcard/rldv.sh
2. It doesn't work for me!!!
Try it again from the very beginning and read step by step, slowly. Make sure you didn't miss anything! Download the files again also.
The Following User Says Thank You to mazdamiata210 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mazdamiata210 Ad-Free
31st March 2014, 03:10 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 617

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdamiata210

Reserved

Im sure people would be a little more willing to try this is there was a little more info here.

What are these files fixing when flashed, how do i know that these good/ok files to flash that will not brick my device? Because you said it should work. Not nit picking or even saying that it doesnt work. BUT more info on what this is would be beneficial to everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2rrell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the2rrell Ad-Free
31st March 2014, 03:18 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2rrell

Im sure people would be a little more willing to try this is there was a little more info here.

What are these files fixing when flashed, how do i know that these good/ok files to flash that will not brick my device? Because you said it should work. Not nit picking or even saying that it doesnt work. BUT more info on what this is would be beneficial to everyone.

Well you're not flashing anything that isn't safe considering they're all the same files from different threads (that are safe) except for the script file in the miata fix zip that I made.
31st March 2014, 03:21 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

Well you're not flashing anything that isn't safe considering they're all the same files from different threads (that are safe) except for the script file in the miata fix zip that I made.

Yes i understand have used the Evilpotato mans process. I was reffering to the miata Fix. Just want to know what we are flashing. I am not a dev i dont know how to look at a file and see if it will work/harm a phone.
31st March 2014, 03:26 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2rrell

Yes i understand have used the Evilpotato mans process. I was reffering to the miata Fix. Just want to know what we are flashing. I am not a dev i dont know how to look at a file and see if it will work/harm a phone.

It can't harm anything do not worry. If you followed this guide exactly it will work. Worst case scenario is that you will have to start over again. All it does is copy the missing file back onto the phone so it no longer fails at 27% it's a simple 3 line script you can open it in notepad and see what it's doing if you like.
31st March 2014, 03:30 PM |#7  
Flag Provo, UTAH
Thanks Meter: 60

More
I hope that posting this is not bad form, as I don't mean to sound skeptical of the OP....

Has anyone tried this method and had success?
31st March 2014, 03:32 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeldenW

I hope that posting this is not bad form, as I don't mean to sound skeptical of the OP....

Has anyone tried this method and had success?

Yes! Me! Lol it's completely safe
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mazdamiata210 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mazdamiata210 Ad-Free
31st March 2014, 03:35 PM |#9  
Clearfield, UT
Thanks Meter: 21

More
This fix is failing. Error appears that the device is not using NB4 update.
31st March 2014, 03:35 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

It can't harm anything do not worry. If you followed this guide exactly it will work. Worst case scenario is that you will have to start over again. All it does is copy the missing file back onto the phone so it no longer fails at 27% it's a simple 3 line script you can open it in notepad and see what it's doing if you like.

thats all that i think most people will need to know just add that to the OP. the more info the better. if it will help people with the update then hey people need to be here testing/using this method.
31st March 2014, 03:38 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChefSLC

This fix is failing. Error appears that the device is not using NB4 update.

Whoops I forgot to mention to take the ota update for nb4 before continuing! Sorry I'm running on 0 sleep... Try it again and after the mj5 restore update to nb4... then continue from step 2
The Following User Says Thank You to mazdamiata210 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mazdamiata210 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kitkat fix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)