FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th December 2017, 11:29 PM |#10721  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Pixel 2 vs Oneplus 5T
I was saving up to get the Oneplus 5t Star Wars Edition (128gb)

but recently learned that the pixel 2(64gb) will be available at almost the same price during a promotion here in India.

They will both cost about $600

Very confused.

I know the obvious differences -
The pixel 2 has the best camera, 2 years of warranty, IP67
The 5T has the larger display, more RAM and storage, Its a Star wars special edition and will come with a free case, a star wars themed laptop bag.

The last 3 years Ive used Oneplus devices , but the pixel is very tempting at that price. The only thing turning me away is the 5inch display size, which i find too small - but i could be making too much of it. Also the pixel 2 looks very dated

Any advice? Thank you for taking the time to read through this.
7th December 2017, 03:54 PM |#10722  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
The inlaws are looking to get their first smartphone (they're currently still using flip phones!).

They want something they can get pics of and vid chat with the grandkids.

Despite my advice that they get the best phone they can afford now since they likely wouldn't be upgrading for quite some time, they insist on getting the cheapest possible option that will do what they want.

That said, while I'm on VZW myself, I don't really keep up at all with the lower end phones... I have no idea what phone(s) in this spectrum would be the best for them.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the best free/super cheap VZW phone for them? I want them to stick with Android (rather than apple) since that's what I know and can therefore best help them if/when issues arise.
8th December 2017, 07:21 PM |#10723  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 2,723

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by byproxy

The inlaws are looking to get their first smartphone (they're currently still using flip phones!).

They want something they can get pics of and vid chat with the grandkids.

Despite my advice that they get the best phone they can afford now since they likely wouldn't be upgrading for quite some time, they insist on getting the cheapest possible option that will do what they want.

That said, while I'm on VZW myself, I don't really keep up at all with the lower end phones... I have no idea what phone(s) in this spectrum would be the best for them.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the best free/super cheap VZW phone for them? I want them to stick with Android (rather than apple) since that's what I know and can therefore best help them if/when issues arise.

The first thing they should do is ditch Verizon unless they live in a very rural area in which Verizon is the only provider. They can save a ton going with MetroPCS or Straight Talk. They would then also have an abundance of GSM device choices.
As far as cheap Verizon phones, it might be best to check the vzw website as their phone options are limited due to using CDMA.
9th December 2017, 03:49 AM |#10724  
Flag Bowling Green
Thanks Meter: 5

More
**DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!
This is going to sound weird, but stay with me. I need a recommendation for a good cheap android phone to make a shower phone. I want to disable/remove the front camera and mic, put a waterproof case on, and attach it next to my fog proof mirror in the shower. It will be connected to my waterproof Bluetooth speaker and play vids and news and whatever I can watch while I shave and ****. Now, personally, I’m an iPhone guy, but before that I had a Samsung captivate and the note 1 and loved roms and messing with android and I miss it, so I’d like it to have a fair amount of rom development. I guess just something to mess around with. At my local walmart I can get a moto e for around $40, and I know the phone is popular enough that at least one company makes a waterproof case for it. It will never be a daily driver, it can even be used. Would it be better getting a used nexus 5 or something like that? Budget is about $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9th December 2017, 02:11 PM |#10725  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguyneil

This is going to sound weird, but stay with me. I need a recommendation for a good cheap android phone to make a shower phone. I want to disable/remove the front camera and mic, put a waterproof case on, and attach it next to my fog proof mirror in the shower. It will be connected to my waterproof Bluetooth speaker and play vids and news and whatever I can watch while I shave and ****. Now, personally, I’m an iPhone guy, but before that I had a Samsung captivate and the note 1 and loved roms and messing with android and I miss it, so I’d like it to have a fair amount of rom development. I guess just something to mess around with. At my local walmart I can get a moto e for around $40, and I know the phone is popular enough that at least one company makes a waterproof case for it. It will never be a daily driver, it can even be used. Would it be better getting a used nexus 5 or something like that? Budget is about $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idk if it has a waterproof case, but the phone itself is water resistant, a Motorola Defy. Probably should install something like CM7(or later) on it because stock/Motoblur is not so great. I'm sure there are better phones though

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

I don't know if anyone is in to it, but what Windows phone should I buy? Preferably one with the most tweaking support. But something cheap to just try out Windows Mobile.
9th December 2017, 11:28 PM |#10726  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I need advice on a reasonable upgrade to the S7 for a light user who is looking to keep their phone for around 3 years. The main priorities are smoothness and battery life. In my own experience only Google's and Apple's phones have been somewhat lag-free for me a year after owning them, however I'm unsure on how LG and Sony fare in this department these days. Update support and hardware quality also matters to some extent. The options are the following:
- LG G6
-Xperia XZ1
-Xperia XZ Premium
- Google Pixel
9th December 2017, 11:30 PM |#10727  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Hi,

I'm looking for two my phones for my parents, they currently have Nexus 4 phones but they've got problems with them like damaged screen, broken headphone jack, broken camera and various other issues.

Their budget for new phones is £150 each, however they only really want to pay about £100.

Their main priorities in order are:
- Best possible Camera (rear)
- Storage space (internal or external) so they can get 64GB or more, so a phone with internal of 16GB is fine as long a as it has expandable storage
- Battery life

They don't mind screen screen size, IP rating, Bluetooth (just needs to have some), FM radio, NFC or anything like that.

Likewise they don't need 4G but that's a nice bonus to have

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
10th December 2017, 02:09 AM |#10728  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
hi, I'm looking for an up to date OS wise Android Tablet model that allows mhl/slimport/HDMI output to use miroir screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? It seems every good tablet I research doesn't allow HDMI output. I know Chromecast exists, but that won't work in my situation because of various network issues.
11th December 2017, 04:57 PM |#10729  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Asus PadFone replacement
Does anyone know of a new(ish) device like the Asus PadFone?

I bought one for my dad a few years ago and he needs a replacement. He's bought a couple refurbished phones, and had on repaired twice. Not because he's especially hard on the phones, the PadFone Mini was a pretty cheaply made device...

He LOVES having the tablet to watch movies on and surf online, but he can't afford to have 2 devices. I've tried walking him through tethering a standalone tablet to a phone, but he just cant swing it.

Are their ANY phones that can dock to a larger touch screen like the PadFone?

Thanks!
13th December 2017, 06:52 PM |#10730  
Flag Hattiesburg

More
Phones that can have bootloader unlocked.
Whether you’re allowed to unlock your bootloader depends on the manufacturer of your phone, the model you have, and even your carrier. Nexus phones are all unlockable by nature, and many phones from Motorola and HTC allow you to unlock your bootloader through a similar process as the Nexus.

Is there a list of phone models that can currently be bootloader unlocked (officially or unofficially)?

I wish to buy a cheap as possible Ebay "unlocked" one to practice with, not one to actually use daily. Am I confined to more expensive Nexus models in order to avoid buying a used phone that turns out unable to have the bootloader unlocked?
13th December 2017, 10:22 PM |#10731  

More
I have the Samsung Tab E on my network, and enjoy it. However, the bootloader is locked down completely and there doesn't look to be a way to get it open. I've just bought an HTC 10 to replace my unrootable Note 4, do you guys have any suggestions for a network enabled tablet for ATT That's root able?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)