FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,274

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th September 2014, 05:38 AM |#6721  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 835

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mons1990

Hi guys. I would like to know your opinion.
I'm looking for a small phone (up to about 4,7") that has these requirements:

• Mid-high hardware
  • Well supported by community or (better) manifacturer (consider i keep phones for about 2 years)
  • Long battery life
It seems there isn't a phone wit these 3 features together I hoped in Moto G 2014 but it's a big delusion.
I like Sony Z compact series but it cost a lot and I own a Sony now and they are deprecable in updates' policy.
What do you suggest me?

For screens under 5" but with good hardware, you kinda gotta either go cheap or go old. Nexus 4, Galaxy S3 (Snapdragon version, not Exynos), etc, or the Moto G. The Nexus 4's battery isn't great though. The S3 is a bit underpowered by today's standards, but it hangs in there, although obviously 2 years from now it'll be found wanting. The Moto G is on the low end of "mid", but running nearly stock Android, it's smooth. Has great battery life and gets extremely quick updates too.

Newer phones would be the Moto X, HTC M7, and Xperia Z1 or Z3 Compact. The M7 isn't really a small phone though, just a smaller (compared to most flagships) screen. The Moto X has been getting very quick updates. The Z1 and Z3 compact are without a doubt the best small Androids out there (or nearly out there). Development seems to be pretty good on the Z1C.
15th September 2014, 09:22 AM |#6722  
Flag Pianoro, Italy
Thanks Meter: 151

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTAN-O-One

Get a Galaxy S3 and Zerolemon's 7000mah battery pack for it. Then flash a 4.3/4.4 based ROM anf a good kernel. OC kernel and GPU to max freq.

Thats my suggestion tho. And im thinking of doing the same thing

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink Feed

This phone is very awesome for you, http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one-5313.php

My Tapatalk Signature:

>---> Senior Support Member <---<
I provide support for you in the following threads:
For help with choosing a new phone or tablet or getting advice, "What's your next smartphone / What should I buy", "Consolidated Device Comparison/ Q&A/ Discussion Thread!!" and "Not sure what device to buy? Ask here! .

When you enter a thread mentioned above and you want my help, than you should quote or mention me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz

For screens under 5" but with good hardware, you kinda gotta either go cheap or go old. Nexus 4, Galaxy S3 (Snapdragon version, not Exynos), etc, or the Moto G. The Nexus 4's battery isn't great though. The S3 is a bit underpowered by today's standards, but it hangs in there, although obviously 2 years from now it'll be found wanting. The Moto G is on the low end of "mid", but running nearly stock Android, it's smooth. Has great battery life and gets extremely quick updates too.

Newer phones would be the Moto X, HTC M7, and Xperia Z1 or Z3 Compact. The M7 isn't really a small phone though, just a smaller (compared to most flagships) screen. The Moto X has been getting very quick updates. The Z1 and Z3 compact are without a doubt the best small Androids out there (or nearly out there). Development seems to be pretty good on the Z1C.

Thank you all for the answers, i think if at Christmas prices of the Z1C drop i'll make a though, maybe after I'll have seen Android L suggester requirements in other phones.
15th September 2014, 09:56 AM |#6723  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTAN-O-One

Get a Galaxy S3 and Zerolemon's 7000mah battery pack for it. Then flash a 4.3/4.4 based ROM anf a good kernel. OC kernel and GPU to max freq.

Thats my suggestion tho. And im thinking of doing the same thing

Sent from my GT-S6500D using XDA Free mobile app

+1, i have Galaxy S3 LTE (Korean Version ), and it works really great, + battery life is very good too , Galaxy S3 is really a good phone
15th September 2014, 02:53 PM |#6724  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Real Quick Guys, Galaxy S4 Or LG G3
IvIaniac
15th September 2014, 03:47 PM |#6725  

More
Hey guys! I want to see if I can get your opinion.

I'm looking into buying a tablet. My requirements are as follows:
  • The main thing I'll be using it for will be for media (movies and TV shows), reading books, comics, and magazines, a little gaming, and general usage. Mostly video.
  • I'm trying to look for a device that's preferably 9-10 inches.
  • As I'll be using this for media, I want to look at something that has a relatively high definition screen.
  • Battery life should be at least good, if not excellent, as I'll be traveling with this.
  • Runs Kitkat, is capable of being rooted, and can run Xposed.
  • As fast a device as I can get for this money.
  • Not more than $250. Including shipping.
Also, I'd prefer something that doesn't run an MTK chip.

Now with these in mind, Chinese tablets seem to fit the bill pretty well. The ones I've looked at are the Teclast X98 3G, the Teclast P98 Air, and the Teclast P90HD.

The X98 3G and P98 Air have good displays, are the newest devices they've released, but the rooting-and-ROM scene with the X98 3G looks like a headache. Some people lose their touch screen after flashing, some people's displays get reversed. Especially with the 3rd hardware revision, which is the one I'm likely to get. The X98 is capable of running Win8.1 - albeit after blood and pain and suffering - and that's a plus, although one I doubt I'll ever use. The P98 Air is a relatively new device, with an Allwinner processor (anyone have any reviews on this?) and I'm not too sure whether I'll be able to root this one or not. Plus, it has a smaller battery than the X98, does not have in-built 3G, and is the same price. And can't run Win8.1. The problem with these 2 devices is the screen aspect ratio, a 4:3 display, which isn't ideal for watching widescreen-format videos, which is what I'll be spending a lot of time doing.

The P90HD has a slightly smaller but gorgeous, sharper retina display, and because it's built to a 16:10 aspect ratio, it's perfect for videos, even more so than the two I mentioned above. The device is rooted, and Kitkat 4.4.4 has been ported, with multi-window. The problems with this are that it has a marginally smaller battery - which doesn't last very long - and a Rockchip processor, which I know nothing about, although I'd be willing to bet the Intel processor in the X98 would perform better, its gaming prowess pretty decent due to the Intel graphics. At least, that's what I think. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Rockchip processor in this?

So what would you guys advise? Bite the bullet and buy one now? Or hold out for a couple more months in the hopes something new comes out? I'll be able to wait only for a couple months, though. After that, ordering from aliexpress will be difficult.
15th September 2014, 05:25 PM |#6726  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvIaniac

• The main thing I'll be using it for will be for media (movies and TV shows), reading books, comics, and magazines, a little gaming, and general usage. Mostly video.
  • As I'll be using this for media, I want to look at something that has a relatively high definition screen.
  • Battery life should be at least good, if not excellent, as I'll be traveling with this.

Now with these in mind, Chinese tablets seem to fit the bill pretty well. The ones I've looked at are the Teclast X98 3G, the Teclast P98 Air, and the Teclast P90HD.

The X98 3G and P98 Air have good displays, are the newest devices they've released, but the rooting-and-ROM scene with the X98 3G looks like a headache. Some people lose their touch screen after flashing, some people's displays get reversed. Especially with the 3rd hardware revision, which is the one I'm likely to get. The X98 is capable of running Win8.1 - albeit after blood and pain and suffering - and that's a plus, although one I doubt I'll ever use. The P98 Air is a relatively new device, with an Allwinner processor (anyone have any reviews on this?) and I'm not too sure whether I'll be able to root this one or not. Plus, it has a smaller battery than the X98, does not have in-built 3G, and is the same price. And can't run Win8.1. The problem with these 2 devices is the screen aspect ratio, a 4:3 display, which isn't ideal for watching widescreen-format videos, which is what I'll be spending a lot of time doing.

The P90HD has a slightly smaller but gorgeous, sharper retina display, and because it's built to a 16:10 aspect ratio, it's perfect for videos, even more so than the two I mentioned above. The device is rooted, and Kitkat 4.4.4 has been ported, with multi-window. The problems with this are that it has a marginally smaller battery - which doesn't last very long - and a Rockchip processor, which I know nothing about, although I'd be willing to bet the Intel processor in the X98 would perform better, its gaming prowess pretty decent due to the Intel graphics. At least, that's what I think. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Rockchip processor in this?

So what would you guys advise? Bite the bullet and buy one now? Or hold out for a couple more months in the hopes something new comes out? I'll be able to wait only for a couple months, though. After that, ordering from aliexpress will be difficult.

I Suggest You Lenovo Ideatab S6000. It's Perfect. The Only Problem Is Lack Of Roms And New Updates.
Read Some Reviews About It, It'll Worth It.
IvIaniac
15th September 2014, 05:55 PM |#6727  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtPsycho

I Suggest You Lenovo Ideatab S6000. It's Perfect. The Only Problem Is Lack Of Roms And New Updates.
Read Some Reviews About It, It'll Worth It.

Compared to the tablets I listed, the Lenovo has a slower processor, a smaller battery, Android 4.2, and a (much) lower resolution. And it has the MTK processor, which I'd rather avoid.
15th September 2014, 06:05 PM |#6728  
Account currently disabled
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 638

More
Quote:

Go for Tab Pro 8.4 mate, just gather some more money and you will be very happy hehehe

My Tapatalk Signature:

For help with choosing a new phone or tablet or getting advice, "What's your next smartphone / What should I buy", "Consolidated Device Comparison/ Q&A/ Discussion Thread!!" and "Not sure what device to buy? Ask here! .

When you enter a thread mentioned above and you want my help, than you should quote or mention me
IvIaniac
15th September 2014, 06:27 PM |#6729  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bink Feed

Go for Tab Pro 8.4 mate, just gather some more money and you will be very happy hehehe

My Tapatalk Signature:

I don't want to spend more than $250. It's about making a point, that you can buy something that can trade shots with an overpriced tablet at a fraction of the price.

Plus, I'm slightly averse to Samsung. Brand un-loyalty, maybe.
15th September 2014, 06:44 PM |#6730  
Account currently disabled
Flag Utrecht
Thanks Meter: 638

More
Quote:

I don't want to spend more than $250. It's about making a point, that you can buy something that can trade shots with an overpriced tablet at a fraction of the price.

Plus, I'm slightly averse to Samsung. Brand un-loyalty, maybe.

8.4 is 267 as cheapest so maybe...

My Tapatalk Signature:

15th September 2014, 09:39 PM |#6731  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Galaxy S5 or Xperia Z3 Compact
There won't be much difference in the price of Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z3 compact, the CPU and GPU is also same in both devices, battery, screen size and build material is different.

My main concern is price, as it will be approx equal when Z3 compact will be in market, which one should I get?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)