[BOOTLOADER][SCH-I705] VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE bootloader UNLOCKED!

Search This thread

BigBot96

Mar 17, 2012
Ooltewah
android.garrettek.com
!!!!WARNING!!!!

Many of you have been complaining about broken wifi and other issues.
I do not own this tablet anymore, which means I can no longer support it.

Verizon/Samusung released a new update: VRBMI1
Check your firmware version
THE LAST VERSION SUPPORTED BY THIS GUIDE IS VRBLL2.

IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THE KEYS THEY SIGN THEIR FIRMWARE WITH, THAN ANY ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE/UNLOCK MAY POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
This has been seen on the VZW Galaxy S4 and just recently the VZW Galaxy S3 (The VZW Tab 2 is a clone of the S3!)

If you are on the latest build (VRBMI1), then it is entirely possible things will not work. It is also possible the bootloader unlock may brick your device.

If you are on VRBMI1 and have semi-bricked using this method, flash this stock ODIN image using ODIN 3.04 if you are able to get to download mode.
DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION, FLASH LOCK, OR LED CONTROL

VRBMI1
http://garrettek.com/android/SCH-I705/ROMs/4.1.2/HOME_I705VRBMI1_1415457_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5

The above information is unknown to me. Do all at your own risk!

If you are still under warranty (1yr manufacturer warranty) and have bricked more than once and are weary of going back to Verizon, contact Samsung directly and they'll more than likely replace the motherboard. How do I know? Because I've bricked my tab about a year ago.. no power, no nothing. Samsung replaced motherboard and shipped it back good as new.

If you are no longer under warranty or Samsung doesn't want to fix it, visit the guys at MobileTechVideos.
SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 2 7.0 JTAG BRICK REPAIR
and make sure you select VERIZON under carrier options!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Reactions: mrphuzsynuts

shoaibrao

Feb 17, 2010
this bootloader image is obviously no good. im pissed. i bricked the first tab. followed instructions to a t. rooted the second tab and after typing reboot recovery i again got a bricked device. This sucks. i cant even get download mode. I did the first tab with adb shell. the second time around I used terminal emulator. I even double checked that p5 was the bootloader and double checked the sd card to insure aboot image was on it. Unless it takes time to reboot i have a bricked device. I doubt i will get another replacement at verizon. but if i do i def wont use this method again.

I Also Bricked My Device With This Method (BootDead)
I Need Help To Revive This TAB
I Request For Working Dump For Boot Repair Via JTAG
Thanks Anticipation

BlinkThinks

Dec 7, 2012
Does anyone want to share the insecure boot image... The link is dead. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

YoshQ

May 20, 2012
I followed the steps on this thread and upon the reboot step at the end, the tablet will not turn back on. It also will not enter download mode. I can't get anything to show up on the screen no matter what I do. Am I to understand that this "RIFF Box" could help me get the tablet to boot again? Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE now has an unlocked bootloader!

!!!!WARNING!!!!

Many of you have been complaining about broken wifi and other issues.
    I do not own this tablet anymore, which means I can no longer support it.

Verizon/Samusung released a new update: VRBMI1
    Check your firmware version
    THE LAST VERSION SUPPORTED BY THIS GUIDE IS VRBLL2.

IF VERIZON/SAMSUNG CHANGED THE KEYS THEY SIGN THEIR FIRMWARE WITH, THAN ANY ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE/UNLOCK MAY POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE.
    This has been seen on the VZW Galaxy S4 and just recently the VZW Galaxy S3 (The VZW Tab 2 is a clone of the S3!)

If you are on the latest build (VRBMI1), then it is entirely possible things will not work. It is also possible the bootloader unlock may brick your device.

If you are on VRBMI1 and have semi-bricked using this method, flash this stock ODIN image using ODIN 3.04 if you are able to get to download mode.
    DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION, FLASH LOCK, OR LED CONTROL

VRBMI1
    http://garrettek.com/android/SCH-I705/ROMs/4.1.2/HOME_I705VRBMI1_1415457_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5

The above information is unknown to me. Do all at your own risk!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

READ FIRST
    *** *** *** *** Disclaimer *** *** *** ***
    I am not responsible if you break your stuff. READ READ READ
    If you DO NOT own a VERIZON Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 SCH-I705 then DO NOT flash this! If you have not verified and flash this on a p3xxx tab, something will break and I will not help you!
    Verizon MAY find a way to block this in the future. But for now, it works.

We have gained access to an insecure bootloader (aboot.img) from a "prototype" VZW Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 obtained by XDA user id_ram.

How to unlock:
    1. Root your device using my guide How to root your VZW G Tab 2 7.0 LTE
    2. Download this insecure aboot.img to the root of your SD Card Insecure aboot.img
    3. Make sure the MD5 of the above image matches this: f4fbc4c5056f62498b378873bf8e3dca
    4. Turn ON USB Debugging: settings > developer options > USB Debugging (checked) [Should have already been done when you rooted!]
    5. From Terminal emulator or ADB do the following:
    6. MAKE SURE TO VERIFY BOOT LOADER STATE BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING ELSE!
    -Download mode will appear landscape
    -SAMSUNG boot screen will flash very quickly

Don't confuse the L with a 1 !!!
    CORRECT: mmcb l k0p5
    INCORRECT: mmcb 1 k0p5

If you want to verify p5 is your bootloader (aboot), run the following command as root
    Code:
    cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/mmcblk0p5/uevent
    If you see this: PARTNAME=aboot, listed in the output you can continue.
    If it does not say PARTNAME=aboot, STOP HERE

From ADB
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /sdcard/
    dd if=aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    reboot download

From Terminal Emulator
    Code:
    su
    cd /sdcard/
    dd if=aboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    reboot download

Congratulations, you now have an insecure bootloader!

NOTE: Download mode will always display QUALCOMM SECURE BOOT: ENABLE regardless of bootloader state. Don't know why, but my VZW GS3 is the same way.
    NOTE2: #1 way you can tell your bootloader is unlocked is that you can dump your stock recovery.img, repackage into ODIN flashable tar (unsigned tar) and flash it with ODIN. #2 way you can tell your bootloader is unlocked is that the initial SAMSUNG splash screen display time is reduced to less than 1 second.

Once you got custom, NEVER accept an OTA!. Verizon released an OTA for the SCH-I705 that makes changes to recovery, boot, and aboot, THIS WILL MOST LIKELY BREAK YOUR ROOT AND UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER! DO NOT ACCEPT!

TO RETURN TO STOCK BOOTLOADER
    Visit the original ROOT BOOTLOADER RECOVERY STOCK thread and go to the bottom of the OP:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31523463&postcount=1

Thanks to:
    id_ram - for his "prototype" tab and his insecure bootloader!
    AdamOutler - for SGS3 bootloader unlock method, which is where I got the information needed to flash this one
    Just like to say Congrats. Hopefully you can get some stuff from the US SGS3 ported over since the hardware looks similar between the two. Happy Hacking :)
    wont work. wont flash aboot.img at all. do i need to rename it at all.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

There you go bricking again :p haha. It's saying it can't find the image at /sdcard/aboot.img
    Verify it's actually located at /sdcard/aboot.img
    Code:
    ls /sdcard/ 
    [I]and check to see if you see aboot.img listed[/I]

. Did you put it on the external sd card? /mnt/extSdCard/aboot.img
    Freaking Epic

There are about to a lot of happy Verizon Gtab2 Users

Now ezgoing2406 can stop bricking his tab :)
    wont work. wont flash aboot.img at all. do i need to rename it at all.
    hy2e4y4y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2