KindleFree (Free your kindle)

Search This thread

Latonya1

Jan 9, 2014
I did not get Kindle free to work with my hdx 8.9....already using Nova launcher, tried adw launcher and widgets but no sucess. I even updated busy box but still no widgets.

MB865/ST-ATT/4.4.2 BMM
SM-N900W8/ST/Rooted knox 0x0
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9/ATT/Rooted

Kindle free works good in my KFHD 7" and i got a nice tablet.

permutations

May 27, 2008
New York City
First of all, LOVE this app - THANK YOU!!

I had a little speed bump moving from the free version to pro - lost root. But I got it back. I think it was because I went through all the settings again - wasn't sure whether I needed to.

I have two questions:

1. How come the book-reading app doesn't work with alternate launchers. I frequently use this device for reading books. Any chance of a fix?

2. It is a pleasure to have the Google Play Store on my Kindle, but oddly, not everything is showing up. Only the apps I purchased are listed among my apps (not the free ones), and one of my purchased apps is both missing from my apps list AND from the Google Play Store (when accessed from the Kindle). Neither of these things happen when I go to Google Play from my phone.

Gstudio.vn

Mar 3, 2014
I have not used kindle but I will use it
Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

1. An undo option for launchers and the miscellaneous stuff.
-- Long press on an item to undo it
2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
-- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
3. A warning against updating any of the Amazon apps in google play store.
-- What should the warning say?

larryb1951

Mar 5, 2014
uninstall

I have not used kindle but I will use it

I am trying to remove go launcher from my rooted kindle fire hd 8.9 but the long press only gives me the option to add or remove from favorites is there a way to manually remove the apps from my kindle so i can try another laucher to drcide which one i like thanks for the help !!!!!!

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
That because it's installed on the system partition, use es file explorer and delete it from /system/app, depending on what version of es file explorer your using you may have to use another file explorer.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: larryb1951

larryb1951

Mar 5, 2014
uninstall

That because it's installed on the system partition, use es file explorer and delete it from /system/app, depending on what version of es file explorer your using you may have to use another file explorer.

well thanks but i didnt install it kindle free did is there a different location to choose and if so what does the long tap uninstall from?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Oh I would think the long tap uninstall in kindle free would uninstall it from the system/app folder. Unfortunately because of how amazon made the os, the launchers have to be in the system folder or they won't launch. Its really stupid. Though technically if Google updates the launcher it doesn't go in the system folder, I think its kinda like it sees an update so the version in the system folder forwards to the newer version.

h2oaquarian

Mar 18, 2014
Wanna use widget on rooted HDX 8.9 with smart launcher pro

Hi guys, I'm facing some issues I can't quite figure out.

First of all thanks for writing such an awesome app!

I like smart launcher so I bought smart launcher pro and kindlefree pro in hope of using widgets. However, I can't seem to get it to work.
I know I need to install custom launcher in kindlefree pro and then reboot, but smart launcher still does not show in kindlefree after reboot.

Widgets are working fine on nova launcher, but not for smart launcher
Help please.

Thank you!

Last edited:

ZMOT7S

Jun 1, 2014
Awesome work man! I was really excited to see this when I found a root for the Kindle Fire HDX. I'm having a problem though, I've installed all the Google App Setup files fine and I installed the Google Play store files fine but when I open the Play store it gives the error Google Play Store Stopped Working. I've rebooted, I've reinstalled the play store files and the setup files and rebooted again. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Angel0fDeath

Aug 29, 2013
Wonderland
darkillusion.us
Awesome work man! I was really excited to see this when I found a root for the Kindle Fire HDX. I'm having a problem though, I've installed all the Google App Setup files fine and I installed the Google Play store files fine but when I open the Play store it gives the error Google Play Store Stopped Working. I've rebooted, I've reinstalled the play store files and the setup files and rebooted again. I'm not sure what the problem is.

This is how I got Playstore working for my Kindle fire HDX
I've posted it in the general section: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2787813

Reactions: ZMOT7S

jlgreen36

Mar 19, 2015
Muncie
xdaforums.com
Free kindle wont mount system

Within the last week I have been on vacation in Minnesota and my Dad has a Kindle Fire HD...after seeing how horrible the Amazon Homescreen is and all that can be done to help improve the device I decided to write an application that would help users perform general tasks on the Kindle Fire HD after rooting it that would make their experience better.

I have yet to test this on anything but the Kindle Fire HD. I know this will not work on the original Kindle Fire, but 2nd generation on up may be able to use this as well but I have not tested it as I don't have one of these devices.

I made two version, a free and a pro version. The free version will allow you to install a custom launcher and the Android market. Beyond that I'm asking for ~1.00 for the pro version (Well I get $1.00 anyways after Googles cut) to help development and buy me some StarBucks :)

Tip: long press on items to remove them from your device.

Here are the links to both in the Android market:

Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree (I just published this one so it may not be up yet...)

I've also attached the free one as well.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more added to this.

I downloaded free app to kindlefire HDX 3rd Gen..and it instantly has a message that reads "system could not be mounted as RW"..Any help or thoughts would greatly be appreciated..I am rooted with kingroot..

Toothless_NEO

Aug 24, 2017
Pro version is no where to find on the play store, anyone know of a better way to remove the ads without paying Amazon?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Within the last week I have been on vacation in Minnesota and my Dad has a Kindle Fire HD...after seeing how horrible the Amazon Homescreen is and all that can be done to help improve the device I decided to write an application that would help users perform general tasks on the Kindle Fire HD after rooting it that would make their experience better.

I have yet to test this on anything but the Kindle Fire HD. I know this will not work on the original Kindle Fire, but 2nd generation on up may be able to use this as well but I have not tested it as I don't have one of these devices.

I made two version, a free and a pro version. The free version will allow you to install a custom launcher and the Android market. Beyond that I'm asking for ~1.00 for the pro version (Well I get $1.00 anyways after Googles cut) to help development and buy me some StarBucks :)

Tip: long press on items to remove them from your device.

Here are the links to both in the Android market:

Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree (I just published this one so it may not be up yet...)

I've also attached the free one as well.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more added to this.
    Thanks for the comments guys, I made some updates and uploaded the new version.
    Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

1. An undo option for launchers and the miscellaneous stuff.
    -- Long press on an item to undo it
    2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
    -- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
    3. A warning against updating any of the Amazon apps in google play store.
    -- What should the warning say?

Stericson, I've already done all this and have no need for the app - but you hit it out of the park! You got a PayPal donate page?
    This works great on kindle fire 2nd gen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "The free version will allow you to install Android market" ... but you have to download it from the market? How, if market isn't installed?

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Just google the googleplay.apk download it to the device and open it with a file manager,