COMPILE From Source For Any Phone On Linux Distros [BUILD ENVIRONMENT TO COMPILE]

Search This thread

mithun46

Oct 28, 2012
▒▅|▆|█|▆|▅▒
buildve.png

This is a guide to Compile From any CyanogenMod and CyanogenMod Source-Based source for Any Phone. This guide is for linux , Ubuntu etc.

What you’ll need
  • A Phone Which runs Android :p
  • A relatively recent computer (Linux, OS X, or Windows) w/a reasonable amount of RAM and storage. The less RAM you have, the longer the build will take. Using SSDs results in faster builds than traditional hard drives.
  • A micro USB cable
  • A decent Internet connection & reliable electricity :)
  • Some familiarity with basic Android operation and terminology. It would help if you’ve installed custom roms on other devices and are familiar with what a recovery image such as ClockworkMod is, for example. It may also be useful to know some basic command line concepts such as cd for “change directory”, the concept of directory hierarchies, that in Linux they are separated by /, etc.

Note:
You want to use a 64-bit version of Linux. According to Google, 32-bit Linux environment will only work if you are building older versions prior to Gingerbread (2.3.x)/CyanogenMod 7.

Using a VM allows Linux to run as a guest inside your host computer-- a computer in a computer, if you will. If you hate Linux for whatever reason, you can always just uninstall and delete the whole thing. (There are plenty of places to find instructions for setting up Virtualbox with Ubuntu, so I’ll leave it to you to do that.)

So let’s begin!

Build ROM and ClockworkMod Recovery

buildenvironment.png

Prepare the Build Environment

Note:
You only need to do these steps the first time you build. If you previously prepared your build environment and have downloaded the CyanogenMod source code for another device, skip to Next Post.

Install the SDK
If you have not previously installed adb and fastboot, install the Android SDK. "SDK" stands for Software Developer Kit, and it includes useful tools that you will can use to flash software, look at the system logs in real time, grab screenshots, and more-- all from your computer.

Helpful Tip!
While the SDK contains lots of different things-- the two tools you are most interested in for building Android are adb and fastboot, located in the /platform-tools directory.

Install the Build Packages
Several "build packages" are needed to build From Source. You can install these using the package manager of your choice.
Helpful Tip!
A package manager in Linux is a system used to install or remove software (usually originating from the Internet) on your computer. With Ubuntu, you can use the Ubuntu Software Center. Even better, you may also use the apt-get install command directly in the Terminal. (Learn more about the apt packaging tool system from Wikipedia.)

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems, you'll need:
Code:
git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl 
libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jdk pngcrush schedtool
For 64-bit only systems, get these:
Code:
g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-gplv2-dev gcc-4.7-multilib g++-4.5-multilib
For Linux Mint, you'll need:
Code:
libc6-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils

Create the directories
Code:
mkdir -p ~/bin

Install the repo command
Enter the following to download the "repo" binary and make it executable (runnable):
Code:
curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Put the ~/bin directory in your path of execution
Make sure that the ~/bin directory you just created is in your path of execution so that you can easily run the repo command even when you're not in ~/bin. Assuming you are using the BASH shell, the default in recent versions of Ubuntu, you can set it like this:
Code:
export PATH=${PATH}:~/bin

Helpful Tip!
You can make this change to the path permanent for all future Terminal sessions:
Code:
gedit ~/.bashrc
This will launch a graphical text editor. Enter
Code:
on its own line, then save the file.

Initialize the source repository
repox.png

Make a Folder to Download the Sources and cd to it. For That:
Code:
mkdir -p ~/Source
Code:
cd Source

Enter the following to initialize the repository:

REPOSITORY'S OF FAMOUS ROMS (Select One)

PAC-Man :
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/PAC-man/android.git -b cm-10.2
CM 11.0 :
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0
CM 10.1 :
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.2
CM10 :
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b jellybean

Download the source code
Code:
repo sync

Helpful Tip!
The repo sync command is used to update the latest source code from CyanogenMod and Google. Remember it, as you can do it every few days to keep your code base fresh and up-to-date.

Get prebuilt apps
Code:
cd ~/Source/vendor/cm
Code:
./get-prebuilts

How To Compile is there on next post :D

Last edited:

mithun46

Oct 28, 2012
▒▅|▆|█|▆|▅▒
Prepare the device-specific code

After the source downloads, type:
Code:
. build/envsetup.sh

Then Do This

Code:
breakfast ******
Where ***** is the codename for your device

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS ON OFFICIAL LATEST CYANOGENMOD ROM

Helpful Tip!
If you get a command not found error for lunch, be sure you’ve done the “. build/envsetup.sh” command from ~/Source. Notice there is a period and space (“. ”) in that command.

Extract proprietary blobs

Now ensure that your Phone is connected to your computer via the USB cable and that you are in the ~/Source/device/***/***** directory (you can cd ~/Source/device/***/****** if necessary). Run as Root if on Debian using sudo. Then run the this script:
Code:
./proprietary-files.sh
or
Code:
./extract-files.sh

Here ***** is Device codename and *** is the Phone Company like Samsung or HTC
For Example if my phone is note 2 then this will be the device path : ~/Source/device/Samsung/n7100

You should see the proprietary files (aka “blobs”) get pulled from the device and moved to the right place in the vendor directory. If you see errors about adb being unable to pull the files, adb may not be in the path of execution

Note:
It’s important that these proprietary files are properly extracted and moved to the vendor directory. Without them, CyanogenMod will build without error, but you’ll be missing important functionality, such as the ability to see anything!

Turn on caching to speed up build

Code:
export USE_CCACHE=1

Start the build

Code:
cd ~/Source
brunch *****
Here ***** is the Phone Codename

Helpful Tip!
If the build doesn't start, try lunch and choose your device from the menu. If that doesn't work, try breakfast and choose from the menu. The command make ***** should then work.

If the build breaks...
If you experience this not-enough-memory-related error...
Code:
ERROR: signapk.jar failed: return code 1make: *** [out/target/product/n7100/cm_n7100-ota-eng.root.zip] Error 1
...you may want to make the following change to This File : system/build/tools/releasetools/common.py
Change: java -Xmx2048m to java -Xmx1024m or java -Xmx512m
Then start the build again (with brunch).
If you see a message about things suddenly being “killed” for no reason, your (virtual) machine may have run out of memory or storage space. Assign it more resources and try again.

Install the build
Assuming the build completed without error (it will be obvious when it finishes), type:
Code:
# cd $OUT

in the same terminal window that you did the build. Here you’ll find all the files that were created. The stuff that will go in /system is in a folder called system. The stuff that will become your ramdisk is in a folder called root. And your kernel is called... kernel.
But that’s all just background info. The two files we are interested in are (1) recovery.img, which contains ClockworkMod recovery, and (2) cm-[something].zip, which contains ROM.

Install ROM
Back to the $OUT directory on your computer-- you should see a file that looks something like:
Code:
cm-10-20120718-UNOFFICIAL-***.zip
Here *** is the phone codename

Now you can flash the ...zip file above as usual via recovery mode. (Be sure you have backed up any previous installation before trying your new build.)

Feedbacks to this guide
I got my build working!
Great tutorial by the way!
Tom

Well i finally sucessfully build.
thank you for your help

Works like a charm, used it a while ago too set up on 12.10 :)

Compiling cm10.1 worked great for my sgs3 d2tmo.Thank's for the tutorial it's been fun setting this up.

really really good guide, very detailed and precise.

Hi there,
I was finally able to compile Cyanogenmod from source.
So, thanks for your guide an your support.Thanks a lot.
Regards Koetermann

Used your guide again to setup my PC for building! Worked like a charm on 11.04

thanks for post this, great and simple guide for n00bs (like me)

This tutorial ROCKS! :good: . Successfully built i9300 starting from fresh ubuntu 12.10 installation w/o even a hickup :D

Read the Below Command Before Asking question regarding Device tree : Credit @speed_bot
HTML:
#include
#include /ps my own header/
main()
{
int device tree,rom;
for((device==1) || (device tree =1))
printf("you can build a rom");
else 
printf("you cant :P");
}

Last edited:

pongnamu

Feb 27, 2012
Jeonju
plus.google.com
Great guide!

I want to build cm10.1 for x10 mini and I have to modify
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<project name="teamhacksung/buildscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="jellybean">

<copyfile dest="build.sh" src="build.sh" />

</project>

<project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode" path="packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7000" path="device/samsung/n7000" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

</manifest>

right? So, how can I do that? What should I change it into? Thanks

mithun46

Oct 28, 2012
▒▅|▆|█|▆|▅▒
Great guide!

I want to build cm10.1 for x10 mini and I have to modify
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<project name="teamhacksung/buildscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="jellybean">

<copyfile dest="build.sh" src="build.sh" />

</project>

<project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode" path="packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_n7000" path="device/samsung/n7000" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

<project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />

</manifest>

right? So, how can I do that? What should I change it into? Thanks
You can Pm Freexperia for that.
i dont know every android phone's code
i know about freeexperia because i own a xperia mini myself

dewanshu93

Sep 19, 2011
Chandigarh

Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.6-dev python

M getting error

jolly@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.6-dev python
[sudo] password for jolly:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package lib32bz2-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package lib32ncurses5-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Package lib32readline-gplv2-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Package lib32readline5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Package lib32readline6 is not available, but is referred to by another package.

Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.

E: Package 'lib32ncurses5-dev' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package lib32z-dev
E: Package 'lib32readline-gplv2-dev' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'lib32readline5' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'lib32readline6' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'lib32bz2-dev' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libwxgtk2.6-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libwxgtk2.6-dev

Reactions: F@®h@n and Nizda1

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
The issue with guides like these is they are specific to one version of Ubuntu. I successfully build Android on gentoo, which has about as little in common with Ubuntu as possible. Hence we prefer to go for guides which, where possible, teach the reasoning, rather than the method.

For building CM, this might be worthwhile merging into the "how to build android from source" one?

Unfortunately this guide isn't usable for most people, as it relies on the hacksung build scripts, so you can only build for certain devices...

What might be better is a guide on using roomservice via lunch, to build for any device?

mithun46

Oct 28, 2012
▒▅|▆|█|▆|▅▒
The issue with guides like these is they are specific to one version of Ubuntu. I successfully build Android on gentoo, which has about as little in common with Ubuntu as possible. Hence we prefer to go for guides which, where possible, teach the reasoning, rather than the method.

For building CM, this might be worthwhile merging into the "how to build android from source" one?

Unfortunately this guide isn't usable for most people, as it relies on the hacksung build scripts, so you can only build for certain devices...

What might be better is a guide on using roomservice via lunch, to build for any device?
i said in starting This is based for Galaxy Note 1 But You can edit to make for your phone

pashinator

Nov 17, 2010
Wirral
I'd guess this is a step by step guide for people with this device as others have said and it is very specific. What would be useful is if you did it in steps and was more generic, say when you set up your environment you tell the reader to check for himself in device forums for a devs source code to be able to try. and if that is too difficult to explain then you may have to explain the principle for the people with little to no knowledge of building what they are doing instead of type this and paste that. great idea, but needs much improvement in actual teaching. also if someone had the knowledge to edit to make it for their own phones then they wouldn't need to use this guide in the first place.

Reactions: joaomarcosoliveira

LvDisturbed1

Feb 12, 2008
Las Vegas
For some reason the CM repo isnt syncing in the folder I want it to.
Code:
mkdir ~/cm10
cd ~/cm10
repo sync -j16
It just spits everything in the home directory (~/) and the working folder I wanted everything in (~/cm10) is empty.

Any idea what the hell I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Well I got it to sync in the folder I wanted it to finally. I had to
Code:
rm -rf ~/.repo
first before it would initialize in my cm10 folder. Absolutely bizarre...

Last edited:
sorry for my mistake
u should enter it in package manager and install them all

Using aptitude I've got this:

andreas@rex-laptop:~$ sudo aptitude install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-ddev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.6-dev python
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32ncurses5-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für ia32-libs gefunden
Es konnte kein Paket gefunden werden, dessen Name oder Beschreibung auf »lib32z-dev« passt.
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline-gplv2-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline5 gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline6 gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32bz2-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für libwxgtk2.6-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32ncurses5-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für ia32-libs gefunden
Es konnte kein Paket gefunden werden, dessen Name oder Beschreibung auf »lib32z-dev« passt.
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline-gplv2-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline5 gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32readline6 gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für lib32bz2-dev gefunden
Keine Kandidatsversion für libwxgtk2.6-dev gefunden
Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden zusätzlich installiert:
bison flex g++-4.7-multilib{a} g++-multilib gcc-4.7-multilib{a} gcc-multilib{a} ghc{a} git{a} git-core git-man{a} gperf lib64gcc1{a} lib64gomp1{a} lib64itm1{a} lib64quadmath0{a}
lib64stdc++6{a} libasound2-dev{a} libaudiofile-dev{a} libavahi-client-dev{a} libavahi-common-dev{a} libbison-dev{a} libbsd-dev{a} libbz2-dev libc6-amd64{a} libc6-dev-amd64{a}
libcaca-dev{a} libdbus-1-dev{a} libesd0-dev libffi-dev{a} libfl-dev{a} libghc-bzlib-dev libglib2.0-dev{a} libgmp-dev{a} libgmpxx4ldbl{a} liblzo2-2{a} libncurses5-dev libpcre3-dev{a}
libpcrecpp0{a} libpng12-dev{a} libpulse-dev{a} libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libslang2-dev{a} libtinfo-dev{a} mingw32 mingw32-binutils{a} mingw32-runtime{a} pngcrush
python-markdown python-pygments{a} schedtool squashfs-tools tofrodos xsltproc
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT:
ca-certificates-java{u} libatk-wrapper-java{u} libatk-wrapper-java-jni{u} tzdata-java{u}
0 Pakete aktualisiert, 55 zusätzlich installiert, 4 werden entfernt und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
103 MB an Archiven müssen heruntergeladen werden. Nach dem Entpacken werden 425 MB zusätzlich belegt sein.
Möchten Sie fortsetzen? [Y/n/?] y

Running Kubuntu 12.10, KDE 4.9.4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    buildve.png

This is a guide to Compile From any CyanogenMod and CyanogenMod Source-Based source for Any Phone. This guide is for linux , Ubuntu etc.

What you’ll need
    • A Phone Which runs Android :p
    • A relatively recent computer (Linux, OS X, or Windows) w/a reasonable amount of RAM and storage. The less RAM you have, the longer the build will take. Using SSDs results in faster builds than traditional hard drives.
    • A micro USB cable
    • A decent Internet connection & reliable electricity :)
    • Some familiarity with basic Android operation and terminology. It would help if you’ve installed custom roms on other devices and are familiar with what a recovery image such as ClockworkMod is, for example. It may also be useful to know some basic command line concepts such as cd for “change directory”, the concept of directory hierarchies, that in Linux they are separated by /, etc.

Note:
    You want to use a 64-bit version of Linux. According to Google, 32-bit Linux environment will only work if you are building older versions prior to Gingerbread (2.3.x)/CyanogenMod 7.

Using a VM allows Linux to run as a guest inside your host computer-- a computer in a computer, if you will. If you hate Linux for whatever reason, you can always just uninstall and delete the whole thing. (There are plenty of places to find instructions for setting up Virtualbox with Ubuntu, so I’ll leave it to you to do that.)

So let’s begin!

Build ROM and ClockworkMod Recovery

buildenvironment.png

Prepare the Build Environment

Note:
    You only need to do these steps the first time you build. If you previously prepared your build environment and have downloaded the CyanogenMod source code for another device, skip to Next Post.

Install the SDK
    If you have not previously installed adb and fastboot, install the Android SDK. "SDK" stands for Software Developer Kit, and it includes useful tools that you will can use to flash software, look at the system logs in real time, grab screenshots, and more-- all from your computer.

Helpful Tip!
    While the SDK contains lots of different things-- the two tools you are most interested in for building Android are adb and fastboot, located in the /platform-tools directory.

Install the Build Packages
    Several "build packages" are needed to build From Source. You can install these using the package manager of your choice.
    Helpful Tip!
    A package manager in Linux is a system used to install or remove software (usually originating from the Internet) on your computer. With Ubuntu, you can use the Ubuntu Software Center. Even better, you may also use the apt-get install command directly in the Terminal. (Learn more about the apt packaging tool system from Wikipedia.)

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems, you'll need:
    Code:
    git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl 
    libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jdk pngcrush schedtool
    For 64-bit only systems, get these:
    Code:
    g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-gplv2-dev gcc-4.7-multilib g++-4.5-multilib
    For Linux Mint, you'll need:
    Code:
    libc6-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev libgl1-mesa-dev mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils

Create the directories
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/bin

Install the repo command
    Enter the following to download the "repo" binary and make it executable (runnable):
    Code:
    curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Put the ~/bin directory in your path of execution
    Make sure that the ~/bin directory you just created is in your path of execution so that you can easily run the repo command even when you're not in ~/bin. Assuming you are using the BASH shell, the default in recent versions of Ubuntu, you can set it like this:
    Code:

Helpful Tip!
    You can make this change to the path permanent for all future Terminal sessions:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.bashrc
    This will launch a graphical text editor. Enter
    Code:
    on its own line, then save the file.

Initialize the source repository
    repox.png

Make a Folder to Download the Sources and cd to it. For That:
    Code:
    mkdir -p ~/Source
    Code:
    cd Source

Enter the following to initialize the repository:

REPOSITORY'S OF FAMOUS ROMS (Select One)

PAC-Man :
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/PAC-man/android.git -b cm-10.2
    CM 11.0 :
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0
    CM 10.1 :
    Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.2
    CM10 :
    Code:

Download the source code
    Code:
    repo sync

Helpful Tip!
    The repo sync command is used to update the latest source code from CyanogenMod and Google. Remember it, as you can do it every few days to keep your code base fresh and up-to-date.

Get prebuilt apps
    Code:
    cd ~/Source/vendor/cm
    Code:
    ./get-prebuilts

How To Compile is there on next post :D
    Prepare the device-specific code

After the source downloads, type:
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh

Then Do This

Code:
    breakfast ******
    Where ***** is the codename for your device

MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS ON OFFICIAL LATEST CYANOGENMOD ROM

Helpful Tip!
    If you get a command not found error for lunch, be sure you’ve done the “. build/envsetup.sh” command from ~/Source. Notice there is a period and space (“. ”) in that command.

Extract proprietary blobs

Now ensure that your Phone is connected to your computer via the USB cable and that you are in the ~/Source/device/***/***** directory (you can cd ~/Source/device/***/****** if necessary). Run as Root if on Debian using sudo. Then run the this script:
    Code:
    ./proprietary-files.sh
    or
    Code:
    ./extract-files.sh

Here ***** is Device codename and *** is the Phone Company like Samsung or HTC
    For Example if my phone is note 2 then this will be the device path : ~/Source/device/Samsung/n7100

You should see the proprietary files (aka “blobs”) get pulled from the device and moved to the right place in the vendor directory. If you see errors about adb being unable to pull the files, adb may not be in the path of execution

Note:
    It’s important that these proprietary files are properly extracted and moved to the vendor directory. Without them, CyanogenMod will build without error, but you’ll be missing important functionality, such as the ability to see anything!

Turn on caching to speed up build

Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1

Start the build

Code:
    cd ~/Source
    brunch *****
    Here ***** is the Phone Codename

Helpful Tip!
    If the build doesn't start, try lunch and choose your device from the menu. If that doesn't work, try breakfast and choose from the menu. The command make ***** should then work.

If the build breaks...
    If you experience this not-enough-memory-related error...
    Code:
    ERROR: signapk.jar failed: return code 1make: *** [out/target/product/n7100/cm_n7100-ota-eng.root.zip] Error 1
    ...you may want to make the following change to This File : system/build/tools/releasetools/common.py
    Change: java -Xmx2048m to java -Xmx1024m or java -Xmx512m
    Then start the build again (with brunch).
    If you see a message about things suddenly being “killed” for no reason, your (virtual) machine may have run out of memory or storage space. Assign it more resources and try again.

Install the build
    Assuming the build completed without error (it will be obvious when it finishes), type:
    Code:
    # cd $OUT

in the same terminal window that you did the build. Here you’ll find all the files that were created. The stuff that will go in /system is in a folder called system. The stuff that will become your ramdisk is in a folder called root. And your kernel is called... kernel.
    But that’s all just background info. The two files we are interested in are (1) recovery.img, which contains ClockworkMod recovery, and (2) cm-[something].zip, which contains ROM.

Install ROM
    Back to the $OUT directory on your computer-- you should see a file that looks something like:
    Code:
    cm-10-20120718-UNOFFICIAL-***.zip
    Here *** is the phone codename

Now you can flash the ...zip file above as usual via recovery mode. (Be sure you have backed up any previous installation before trying your new build.)

Feedbacks to this guide
    I got my build working!
    Great tutorial by the way!
    Tom

Well i finally sucessfully build.
    thank you for your help

Works like a charm, used it a while ago too set up on 12.10 :)

Compiling cm10.1 worked great for my sgs3 d2tmo.Thank's for the tutorial it's been fun setting this up.

really really good guide, very detailed and precise.

Hi there,
    I was finally able to compile Cyanogenmod from source.
    So, thanks for your guide an your support.Thanks a lot.
    Regards Koetermann

Used your guide again to setup my PC for building! Worked like a charm on 11.04

thanks for post this, great and simple guide for n00bs (like me)

This tutorial ROCKS! :good: . Successfully built i9300 starting from fresh ubuntu 12.10 installation w/o even a hickup :D

Read the Below Command Before Asking question regarding Device tree : Credit @speed_bot
    HTML:
    #include
    #include /ps my own header/
    main()
    {
    int device tree,rom;
    for((device==1) || (device tree =1))
    printf("you can build a rom");
    else 
    printf("you cant :P");
    }

What if i want to compile the PAC rom?
    https://github.com/PAC-man

Downloading Ubuntu now!! Excited!! :)

Edit figured it out myself!!
    repo init -u git://github.com/PAC-man/android.git -b jellybean
    thankx anyways...

ya and you might need a minor edits to makefiles in the config ...

btw

this is a thread maintained by me
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2059939

so feel free to post your errors that you encounter....

@op

explain what every step means rather then just copy paste....

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Isn't "apt" the "stock" package manager in (K)Ubuntu?

But I've another question @mithun46: Is it possible, that your guide only works on a 64bit edition of ubuntu? So that 32bit installations ain't supported?

32bit systems don't have the packages to build jb and above.. so it wont work with 32bit systems..
    Guys The Developer Comitee said me to apply for RC title. Don't know what to do.
    If I get more than ten thanks on this post I will apply

Sent from my GT-P7300 using xda premium