Post Reply Email Thread
18th January 2011, 06:57 AM |#101  
Flag Hurricane Country
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbeanbeanbean

^^^This X1000
Anyone who is complaining that they are charging for open source software is a complete idiot, you should just go flush your phone down the toilet.

I'll say it again, Samsung, not the carriers, promised this upgrade to Galaxy S buyers. They promised it online, to the media and in the instructions included with several of their accessories for this product line. They did NOT say they would provide it at extra charge or that it was dependent upon the carrier paying a fee for it. They said that an update to Froyo would be forthcoming, period. Granted, there was no firm time frame for this (although by the end of last year was mentioned), but considering the short product cycle of these devices, 6 months is more than a reasonable wait period. They need to get off their asses and make this right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miami_Son For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Miami_Son Ad-Free

18th January 2011, 06:58 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Android openness is great in theory, XDA is a prime example of how the community and end user can benefit from it. As strange as it this is going to sound, Android openness is what's killing this OS. It drives me crazy every time I hear Andy Rubin talk about open source software and how amazing he thinks it is that OEMs can put skins on android. In my opinion openess is only benefiting the OEMs and the carriers which should be unacceptable in google's eyes. It's completely unacceptable for Samsung to get away with this capitalist 2.2 holdout. Even if this isn't true, Samsung should be still be embarrassed that none of their US Galaxy S phones have 2.2 on them. Back to my open source rant, Samsung's 2.2 contract holdout is a perfect example of how Open-source hurts the end user and benefit's the OEM.

It may seem like I hate android or am a fanboy of a another platform but that couldn't be further from the truth. I just hate the bad apples that give the orchard a bad name. Android has many compelling reasons going for it. Samsung's update bullshit, Verizon putting bing on their phones, sprint installing game trials that you can't uninstall are giving the platform a bad name and nobody seems to care as long as the money is still coming in.

Ohh and I'm an HTC user, because nobody does updates like HTC. Maybe Motorolla does.
18th January 2011, 07:08 AM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life

In regards to the Epic, i'd like to remind people that originally, it was marketed as having 2.2. Then, closer to release, they changed it to 2.1 "with 2.2 coming soon after." Well, "soon after" has come and gone.

I bought the Epic partly because it suited me better than the Evo, but also because of 2.2. I knew that i would have a current version running. Froyo was part of the basis of my bargain. At this point I'm fed up with samsung. We've been getting teased with 2.2 almost every month for literally 5 months now, and at least for 1-2 months prior to the phone being released (which makes it upwards of 6 months). It is ridiculous.

People who have this phone should just return it when something new comes out. Samsung has breached their promise. Im sure there will be people here who will comment about the fact that you can always root your phone or that they are happy with eclair; that's fine. I bought this phone with the assumption it would perform on par with 2.2, and not have any annoying lags and bugs.

If everyone complains and ditches boycotts samsung phones, then maybe they will change their ways. From everything i have ever read, i never see anyone mention the fact that samsung marketed this device as having 2.2 and subsequently, promising it within a short period of time.

Just my .2 cents

It boogles my mind why a lawyer hasn't put together a class action suit against Samsung over this matter. Yes, you can vote with your wallet as a consumer, but companies have to also stand by their promises. I don't care if I see a dime, a class action suit that makes samsung pay out over this matter would make me quite happy.
18th January 2011, 07:45 AM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
why hasnt samsung been boycotted get enough people involved and try to get at least walmart involved they wouldnt have a choice but to change there ways. cause something needs to be done soon.
18th January 2011, 09:37 AM |#105  
Winter Garden
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Has anyone sent this to the media? Or are we against that atm?

Sent from my EVO at the edge of Hell
18th January 2011, 10:22 AM |#106  
Flag Ruda Śląska
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff

canada has the highest cell phone plan costs in the world

Guess you've never been to Poland. You have NO IDEA about how high cell phone costs can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff

But this negative publicity will also put pressure on samsung to change their ways.

Well, it won't. Samsung does a hell more than just cellphones. TVs, LCDs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testacon

Other Samsung phones released with 2.1 did get an upgrade, slow mind you but did get one. What makes the Galaxy S so special that it's Samsung holding back based on money?

Well, Spica (i5700) did not get an update. What should be making them 'hold back' if not money? It is all about money - this is business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekboy

It boogles my mind why a lawyer hasn't put together a class action suit against Samsung over this matter. Yes, you can vote with your wallet as a consumer, but companies have to also stand by their promises. I don't care if I see a dime, a class action suit that makes samsung pay out over this matter would make me quite happy.

Yay, americans... Remember, you can sue coffee seller if you get burnt by your HOT coffee, because nobody said that hot coffee is hot (hilarious). Samsung DOES provide upgrades ("upgradeable" != "will be upgraded"), but not free. Simple. Check out the previously mentioned Motorola Droid/Milestone bootloader lockdown. SGS does not have a locked BL, so go on, play.

Ah, and don't forget about SonyEriccson and their speedy updates. And the old SE X1/X2 WM6.5
18th January 2011, 10:55 AM |#107  
Winter Garden
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekboy

A lawyer has taken the case and a class action lawsuit is being filed the suit is against Samsung and T-Mobile for the failure to release the update to the vibrant and is taking all other complaints from other galaxy s owners epic is included

18th January 2011, 11:02 AM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
You people are too quick to pull the trigger on samsung.

They have released froyo for their galaxy s lineup, it just so happens that you poor folks don't have access to it. See something in common here? It's you folks that got it from an american carrier...

Maybe the carriers in other countries did pay for the update, or negotiated a better deal. I'm not gloating but my Telus fascinate (a vibrant with a different radio) has had froyo since xmas time, all they did was put their touchwiz on it, no bloatware from my carrier at all, just like the how it came out of the box with eclair. I'm sure all your carriers loaded up a **** load of bloatware. I'm not certain but rogers & bell I believe both have froyo released too.

When I picked up this phone, I had every intention of selling it the instant I got it and picking up the desireZ, but it grew on me, this was a great 1st android phone, minus the gps issue but I never use it anyways.

Samsung also didn't lock down their phones like some of the other manufacturers were doing which made rooting and what not simple.

For my next phone, I'll see what my choices are (which is why I went android and not iOS), but I won't be shying away from samsung. I'll most likely get a Nexus.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using XDA App
18th January 2011, 01:57 PM |#109  
Flag Villa Rica, GA
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcarrera

Has anyone sent this to the media? Or are we against that atm?

I've been pushing the android fan sites to pressure samsung but they dont want to do that.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...oid-sites.html
18th January 2011, 02:45 PM |#110  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 20

More
what happened to buying a phone for being a phone? I could have bought evo because I was a htc fan for a long time, but I chose samsung epic for the keyboard, the screen was amazing! and the camera seemed better. I didnt buy it for the update.

Although if this article is true then shame on them for this but truly people buy a phone for what it can do for you not what it might do in the future.
18th January 2011, 03:33 PM |#111  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,211

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygrl

this makes no sense whatsoever.

Samsung is charging for updates?
Why does the Intercept have 2.2
Why does the Acclaim have 2.2
Why do the Bell, Telus, and Rogers SGS phones have 2.2
Why does the SGS on a TON of other smaller carriers all around the world have 2.2
Why does the Dell Streak on AT&T still have 1.6 when it has 2.2 elsewhere? Because AT&T is delaying the update - straight from Dell.

...this is all nonsense.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Because the Dell Streak and the Samsung Captivate are the closest contenders to their dear iPad and iPhone products.

Maybe we should be blaming Apple!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread