ASUS TF700T unlock and root JB 4.2.1 stock

Search This thread

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me
after this i only need to flash CWM and the i can go CM10.1? or do i have more problems on the way?

With the new 4.2.1 boot loader, giving CWM certain commands can result in a brick. It is suggested that you use TWRP.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
ROM: CleanRom Xenogenesis 4.4.1 DeOdex
Kernel: Hundsbuah's V3.0.5 OC Kernel
Theme: Timberwolf's Blues and Jazz Theme

Fastlivin

Mar 23, 2011
Note: I followed this to the letter, from a 4.2.1 tablet.

Worked like a charm, however, when I went to flash TWRP using some of the desktop one-click solutions (that required me to volume-down to the USB icon), no icon existed.

I see references on the TF300 forum that I used an outdated Asus Unlock tool...no idea if that's true.

The workaround is to install GooManager from the Play Store, then click in the top right corner, and tap Install OpenRecovery. The verbiage threw me for a loop initially, but the only available "OpenRecovery" is TWRP.

From there on, it was smooth sailing, but wanted to note this minor problem that arises AFTER you follow the directions in the initial post of this thread.

Many thanks, OP and others who developed this! Tablet hamsters are running furiously on their wheel installing CROMI. I am very excited to see if this makes a difference, because I have been getting REALLY frustrated at the lags when using this tablet.

Reactions: jaseking79

telegraph0000

Jun 16, 2008
NoVa
Protocol Failure

Keep getting a protocol failure...

[*] rooting phone...
*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
*daemon started successfully*
/sustem/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/pwn: not found
[*] cleaning up...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/pwn, No usch file or directory
rm failed for /data/locl/tmp/bsybox, no such file or directory

rickymh19

Apr 17, 2013
Keep getting a protocol failure...

[*] rooting phone...
*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
*daemon started successfully*
/sustem/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/pwn: not found
[*] cleaning up...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/pwn, No usch file or directory
rm failed for /data/locl/tmp/bsybox, no such file or directory

Seems like you haven't enabled developer options and checked usb debugging. It's not detecting your tablet. Try running the adb file before running the '' run'' file.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Note: I followed this to the letter, from a 4.2.1 tablet.

Worked like a charm, however, when I went to flash TWRP using some of the desktop one-click solutions (that required me to volume-down to the USB icon), no icon existed.

I see references on the TF300 forum that I used an outdated Asus Unlock tool...no idea if that's true.

The workaround is to install GooManager from the Play Store, then click in the top right corner, and tap Install OpenRecovery. The verbiage threw me for a loop initially, but the only available "OpenRecovery" is TWRP.

From there on, it was smooth sailing, but wanted to note this minor problem that arises AFTER you follow the directions in the initial post of this thread.

Many thanks, OP and others who developed this! Tablet hamsters are running furiously on their wheel installing CROMI. I am very excited to see if this makes a difference, because I have been getting REALLY frustrated at the lags when using this tablet.

The 4.2 bootloader is different from previous ones in that it defaults into fastboot mode. That's why you don't see the usb icon. So you could have just flashed TWRP from there. But I actually find it more convenient and less prone to mistakes to use Goo if you have root.

The Asus Unlock tool was created for ICS roms and that's what it still says on Asus website. But i works fine on JB.
Congratulations and enjoy! I'll bet anything you'll be very happy with this rom!

PS: What are you flashing? CROMi or CROMi-X?
Cromi is 4.1 based and great, but sbdags developed his latest roms off the 4.2 stock, they are called CROMi Xenogenesis and even greater!
It's no problem if you flashed CROMi, the 4.2 bootloader will run it no problem, but if you flash a 4.2 based rom, a clean install (wiping everything and re-installing from scratch) is recommended.

Last edited:

vatvedt

Jan 23, 2010
Halden
Downloaded the file, ran adb devices to check if it was detected. Everything looked ok. Ran run.bat and all seemed well. No errors, just positive feedback, but when I rebooted, still not rooted. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Solved my issue (by reading this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40317522&postcount=29) and successfully rooted using the info from the first post. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

vatvedt

Jan 23, 2010
Halden
I did forget to unroot 4.1.2 before I updated to 4.2.x, though. Maybe this might be the reason? I didn't have any problems or errors any step of the way.

telegraph0000

Jun 16, 2008
NoVa
Seems like you haven't enabled developer options and checked usb debugging. It's not detecting your tablet. Try running the adb file before running the '' run'' file.

Whatever needs to be enabed has been enabled. It seems i have to run the bat file 4-5 times for it to proceed. Once it does detect the tablet, it continues and ends up with the same message. Rebooting tablet, unplugging then plugging, reloading pc drivers oes nothing.

Fastlivin

Mar 23, 2011
The 4.2 bootloader is different from previous ones in that it defaults into fastboot mode. That's why you don't see the usb icon. So you could have just flashed TWRP from there. But I actually find it more convenient and less prone to mistakes to use Goo if you have root.

The Asus Unlock tool was created for ICS roms and that's what it still says on Asus website. But i works fine on JB.
Congratulations and enjoy! I'll bet anything you'll be very happy with this rom!

PS: What are you flashing? CROMi or CROMi-X?
Cromi is 4.1 based and great, but sbdags developed his latest roms off the 4.2 stock, they are called CROMi Xenogenesis and even greater!
It's no problem if you flashed CROMi, the 4.2 bootloader will run it no problem, but if you flash a 4.2 based rom, a clean install (wiping everything and re-installing from scratch) is recommended.

Guilty on all counts: it was the 4.2 bootloader, and I believe the instructions all over this forum are for the 4.1.

I tried to flash CROMI, but it would just get stuck in a bootloop. Remember kids (who are neophytes at doing this): backup before you do ANYTHING. It saves you a lot of trouble and sweaty palms on the backend.

Whatever the reason was, the 4.1-based CROMI just would not start. Flashed CROMI-X, and I have been dancing ever since. I know it has been said numerous times, but THIS is now the tablet I expected when I bought a Transformer Prime back at Christmas 2011! Smooth, free of significant lag (sure, apps sometimes take a heartbeat or two to switch), and text entry doesn't bog down for no reason whatsoever. In essence, this has decreased my frustration with the product by about 90%.

The remaining 10% is with the OEM developers whose job it is to turn out a good product. A committed group of hobbyists just handed them their lunch. That's embarrassing.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Guilty on all counts: it was the 4.2 bootloader, and I believe the instructions all over this forum are for the 4.1.

I tried to flash CROMI, but it would just get stuck in a bootloop. Remember kids (who are neophytes at doing this): backup before you do ANYTHING. It saves you a lot of trouble and sweaty palms on the backend.

Whatever the reason was, the 4.1-based CROMI just would not start. Flashed CROMI-X, and I have been dancing ever since. I know it has been said numerous times, but THIS is now the tablet I expected when I bought a Transformer Prime back at Christmas 2011! Smooth, free of significant lag (sure, apps sometimes take a heartbeat or two to switch), and text entry doesn't bog down for no reason whatsoever. In essence, this has decreased my frustration with the product by about 90%.

The remaining 10% is with the OEM developers whose job it is to turn out a good product. A committed group of hobbyists just handed them their lunch. That's embarrassing.

I am very surprised to hear that Cromi wouldn't start! Maybe it worked for me because I was running Cromi 3.4.7 and then flashed the 4.2 bootloader...idk.
But I'm glad you figured it all out and I bet you learned a lot in the process, sweaty palms and all :D

You have lag switching between apps? I'm shocked!!! Next time try flashing with fsync disabled, that'll take care of that!
Good if you're conservative at first, but search for posts on fsync in the Cromi thread. _that somewhere explained in detail under which circumstances you may risk data loss with fsync disabled and the chances are next to nil.
In 6 months of diligently following the forums I have not read once that someone had a problem because of disabled fsync.

Crispy168

Apr 26, 2011
Ok, so I'm still having difficulty unlocking. I'm on stock software, the latest version.

I did a fresh FDR.

Downloaded the Asus Unlock tool
and after i check "Agree" and press the "Press to Unlock your Device" button:

I get an error message that reads: "An unknown error occurs, which may be a network connection issue. please wait and try again later."

I am connected to my wifi with no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, so I'm still having difficulty unlocking. I'm on stock software, the latest version.

I did a fresh FDR.

I get an error message that reads: "An unknown error occurs, which may be a network connection issue. please wait and try again later."

Thanks,

Asus servers are finicky. Just keep trying, sometimes it takes many attempts until you connect.
Worst case scenario is that the servers don't find your serial number or it doesn't match their database.
In that case, if many attempts failed, you can try Asus customer support.
You didn't have your tablet repaired under warranty did you? Like: the motherboard exchanged?
In that case you could be out of luck. Some users who had that done were not able to unlock anymore...

Reactions: Crispy168

Crispy168

Apr 26, 2011
Nope, I bought it new shortly after release. First time trying to unlock it, and it's never been serviced.

I'll keep trying I guess. Thanks. Is there an option to roll back to like 4.0 or 4.1.1? Would that even help?

Thanks again.

Asus servers are finicky. Just keep trying, sometimes it takes many attempts until you connect.
Worst case scenario is that the servers don't find your serial number or it doesn't match their database.
In that case, if many attempts failed, you can try Asus customer support.
You didn't have your tablet repaired under warranty did you? Like: the motherboard exchanged?
In that case you could be out of luck. Some users who had that done were not able to unlock anymore...

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Nope, I bought it new shortly after release. First time trying to unlock it, and it's never been serviced.

I'll keep trying I guess. Thanks. Is there an option to roll back to like 4.0 or 4.1.1? Would that even help?

Thanks again.

You can downgrade to 4.1 , but it wouldn't help with unlocking. All depends on if the Asus server recognizes you tab.
Give it a few more tries.

telegraph0000

Jun 16, 2008
NoVa

I did a fresh FDR.

Thanks,

Are you sure you have not successfully unlocked it? Turn it off, turn it back on, look in the top left corner for some very small white lettering that read "this device is unlocked"...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FOR ANYONE THAT EITHER JUST BOUGHT THE TF700 OR UPGRADED OTA TO 4.2.1 JB AND WANTS TO UNLOCK AND/OR ROOT THE DEVICE
    LINKS WILL BE AVAILABLE.

WARNING: UNLOCKING THE DEVICE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY WITH ASUS, I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL VOID IT WITH SQUARETRADE OR OTHER WARRANTIES. ALSO, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO ANY TABLET, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NO TROUBLE OR PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.
    (ROOTING IS REVERSIBLE AND DOES NOT VOID WARRANTY)

TO UNLOCK
    TO UNLOCK THE DEVICE, GO AND USE THE ASUS UNLOCK TOOL FROM THEIR WEBSITE.
    CLICK THE LINK PROVIDED
    CHOOSE OS: ANDROID
    UNDER "UTILITES" THE SECOND SAYS VERSION 7 ASUS UNLOCK TOOL (YES I'M AWARE IT SAYS FOR ICS ONLY BUT I HAVE TRIED IT AND IT WORKS WITH JB 4.2.1)
    DOWNLOAD IT EITHER FROM THE TABLET ITSELF OR LOAD IT TO AN SD CARD.
    IT IS AN APK FILE SO IT WILL INSTALL AS AN APP.
    RUN IT, AND *SCROLL DOWN TO THE END* ON THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, AND AGREE TO IT. THE TABLET WILL REBOOT AND ON THE TOP LEFT CORNER IT WILL SAY "UNLOCKING DEVICE" GIVE IT 5 MINS DONT FREAK OUT. ONCE DONE, IT WILL SAY "DEVICE UNLOCKED" AND THERE YOU GO. YOU'RE OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED!!

If you are going to install custom ROMS, after unlocking and rooting, you need to install TWRP. I suggest to install GOOMANAGER from the playstore and doin it from there. Just click on the right corner and choose install openrecovery script and choosing twrp.

LINK TO ASUS WEBSITE: http://support.asus.com/download.as...Infinity+TF700T&os=&hashedid=fq2B3oq64av1O95u

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    TO JUST ROOT YOUR DEVICE

TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE ON 4.2.1 JB
    FIRST PREPARE YOUR TABLET,
    GO TO SETTING, UNDER SYSTEM CLICK ON "DEVELOPER OPTIONS" AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CHECKED THE "USB DEBUGGING"
    IF YOU DONT HAVE A"DEVELOPER OPTIONS" CLICK ON "ABOUT TABLET" AND WHERE IT SAYS "BUILD NUMBER" CLICK ON IT UNTIL IT SAYS " CONGRATULATIONS NOW YOU ARE A DEVELOPER" IT SHOULD BE AROUND 5-10 TIMES, AFTER THAT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE "DEVELOPER OPTIONS ON THE LEFT" RIGHT ABOVE "ABOUT TABLET" (THEN ENABLE USB DEBUGGING"
    NEXT, UNDER "PERSONAL" CLICK THE TAB THAT SAYS "SECURITY" AND ENABLE "UNKNOWN SOURCES"

ONCE DONE WITH THIS, CONNECT YOUR TABLET TO YOUR LAPTOP/PC
    DOWNLOAD MOTOCHOPPER FROM THE LINK PROVIED
    EXTRACT IT AND RUN THE FILE THAT SAYS "RUN"
    ONCE YOU RUN IT JUST FOLLOW THE SIMPLE STEPS ON THE SCREEN
    IF ALL GOES WELL, YOUR DEVICE SHOULD BE ROOTED AND YOU SHOULD HAVE SUPERSU INSTALLED

EDIT!: IF YOU UPGRADED OR YOUR TABLET CAME WITH BUILD NUMBER 10.6.1.14.10, MOTOCHOPPER WONT WORK TO ROOT. YOU WILL NEED TO DOWNGRADE TO 10.6.1.14.08 AND THEN ROOT WILL BE AVAILABLE

LINKS FOR MOTOCHOPPER:

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4lipgd1hh3jug2
    (I ATTACHED THE LINK TO THIS FORUM AS WELL JUST IN CASE)

PLEASE ASK ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS I WILL BE GLADLY TO ANSWER THEM TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, IF NOT I WILL HELP YOU FIND THE ANSWER.

ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL XDA FORUM MEMBERS AND DEV AND MODERATORS FOR HELPING ME LEARN.

SPECIAL THANKS TO
    FOR GUIDING ME IN TIME OF NEED
    FOR HELPING
    FOR HELPING FINDING OUT IT WORKS
    FOR PROVIDING DOWNLOAD LINKS TO MOTOCHOPPER
    what is twrp and cromi x 5.0?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but I am a newbii on lunix systems. Is it worth to downgrade and upgrade and take the risk to make my tablet unusable?

Another newbii question: Is it realy necessary to fill out the annoying image verification on top of each post?

Thank you for all your help in this forum.

Edi

Cromi-X is a custom firmware. The 5.0 has been released 5 days ago. It make your tablet more fast and fluid. TWRP is a custom recovery and is necessary for any custom firmware install.

I was like you on .10 stock last week and after lot of search and good help here ( thanks berndblb) i finally install it !

I'm not usa or english like you so i will put here step by step what you need to do without expleination :

1- Unlock your tablet with asus tool :
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF300T/Unlock_v8.rar

place the apk file on your tablet and install it / run it and ... let's do

Your tablet is now unlocked

2- if you are on 10.6.1.14.10 you need to downgrade to 10.6.1.14.8 (because motochopper don't work with .10)

But if you are on .8 actually go to Step 4 directly !

3- a*To downgrade you need to download the 10.6.1.14.8 firmware and place it on root of tablet.
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF700T/WW_epaduser_10_6_1_14_8_UpdateLauncher.zip

Extract the zip file from the zip file ...

b* Restart your tablet and you will see a notification on task bar about update detected. Clik on it and run install.

You are now on 10.6.1.14.8 firmware.

4- Root with motochopper. you must set usb debbuging mod (in developpers options) and Run bat.exe

Your tablet restart automaticcly and you are rooted.

Go on play store and downlod "Root Checker" Run it (accept SuperSU autorisation) and verify if you are Ok !

5- You need install TWRP. Just go on play sotre again and download "GooManager". Install it / run it (accept superSu autorisation) and on top right corner clik on menu [3 point] and clik on "Install OpenRecoveryScript"

6- Download cromi-x 5.0 here : http://d-h.st/IJe

take a micro sd card and put the firmware in. (CROMi-X ODEX 5.0.1_Signed.zip)

7- boot into recovery : press and hold the Volume Down and Power button at the same time.
    you will see 3 icon. You must Clik up on Flashing RCK icon it will Boot on TWRP.

8- in TWRP choose "backup" don't touch anything just make sure it's on extranal sd and slide to save.
    it's necessary if you have a problem you wil have a save from your last good configuration !

After don't clik on reboot clik on home button and choose "wipe" slide to start and wait...After Clik to return home again

9- Now it's time to install cromi-x Make sure your micro sd is in tablet.
    Clik on install / select the zip firmware file on micro sd clik on verify and slide to start install !

The custom firmware have a lot of option when install so don't touch anything just make sure it's 240 dpi (like original firmware)and choose boot loader 10.6.1.27.1 from sbdags.

After installation have fun :)
    Stupid easy (locked-root)

Enable USB debugging.

Plug in TF700T.

Windows 7 loaded all of the drivers.

D/L the file.

Extract.

Double click run.bat.

Answer a couple of questions.

Root in under a minute.

:cool::):cool::laugh::victory:
    YES I'M AWARE IT SAYS FOR ICS ONLY BUT I HAVE TRIED IT AND IT WORKS WITH JB 4.2.1

Unlock tool confirmed working on JB 4.2.1 - just unlocked the bootloader on my totally stock TF700T JB 4.2.1 (WW). Now to flash CROMI-X! :victory:
    ok ..i have manage to unlock my device (Transformer Infinity) but something is going wrong when rooting

I have the same issue.

I'm having the same problem

With an unlocked device it is simple to root any firmware - install a custom recovery using fastboot. TWRP will ask to root the ROM and install a superuser app, or you can install a pre-rooted custom ROM. No need for Motochopper.